Midnight Memories

Seven Days

“Sungjong-ah! Are you alright…?” The two sisters stop dead on their tracks seeing their little brother sitting on top of his “boyfriend”. Definitely a very, very compromising easy to misunderstand position.

            “YOU!” Yuu said storming towards the boys.

            “Yuu-noona! It’s not what you think it is we’re just...” Sungjong tried to explain but futile. 

            “What are you doing to our cute little brother!? Get off your hands!” the older sister shouted hitting the innocent Myungsoo with the book.

            Moments later the two of them were sitting on their knees. Myungsoo with a bump on his head. Yuu and Ailee went get dressed as the two awaits possible punishment.

            “Is your head alright?” Sungjong asked his pitiful “boyfriend” reaching to check the bump on his head.

            “Yeah, she didn’t hit me that hard. Your punches are more powerful” Myungsoo joked.

            “I’m sorry man, it was my fault you got hit” Sungjong said.

            “If you give me a hug and kiss my boo-boo away I’ll be fine” Myungsoo teased.

            “Looks like I should be hitting you instead of worrying about your head” Sungjong fired back.

            “Did you reflected on your actions?” it was Ailee and Yuu coming back.

            “Yes ma’am” the two boys replied with a bow.

            “Well we can’t have you sleep together. Sungjong-ah you sleep in your room and this guy on the guest room.

            “But noona! We didn’t do anything wrong! I told you we fell on the bed and I just fell on top of Myungsoo” the younger brother explained, “He even saved me.”

            “Why did you two fell on the bed in the first place?” Ailee was unyielding.

            “Uhmm, about that” Sungjong tries to explain.

            “That’s it, young man you’re sleeping in your room,” Yuu said, “As for you, here the key to the guest room.”

            “Noona, please just let him sleep here. I’ll take the bed and him on the floor.” Sungjong pleaded. “Please”

            “But Sungjong-ah” Ailee tried to reason but Sungjong suddenly grab Myungsoo by the hand.

            “Please, noona.” Sungjong stood his ground, “I promise he won’t do anything stupid. Just let him stay here with me.”

            The older sisters looked at their little brother. Sungjong was never the asking type of sibling, more often he was the one giving and doing something for them so something like this is new to them that all they could do was nod their head.

            “If, you say so then.” Yuu said looking at Myungsoo’s way with a wary warning.

            “But eonnie!” Ailee was about to protest but Yuu was already pushing her out the door.

            “It’s okay. Come on you’re going to help me with my curls” the older sister said by the door.

            “Yuu-‘na, Ai-‘na!” Sungjong called out to his sisters, “thanks a lot, good night”

            “Ah, yeah Uhmm, good night Sungjong-ah” the sisters replied.

            “Wow, didn’t see that coming” Myungsoo said when they were alone.

            “I hate acting like that. Augh, so uncool” Sungjong hugging his legs and burying his face to it, “How many more embarrassing things do I have to do?”

            “You did that for me right? Thanks,” Myungsoo smiled.

            “Don’t get cocky, I just did what I have to do. But are you alright over there?” Sungjong asked.

            Myungsoo stood up and moved the beddings beside his “boyfriend’s” bed. “Yup, I’m all good”

            “Okay, then. Goodnight” Sungjong pulled the blanket to his chest and turned to the wall.

            “Hey, you sleeping yet?” Myungsoo asked lying down.

            “I’m trying to, but your being loud” Sungjong shot back.

Sungjong’s POV

            My room felt so small of a sudden. It’s like Myungsoo’s presence has made me aware of things inside my room that I would usually ignore. The sliding door leading to the veranda was slightly open letting in the cold night breeze, I remember how I would sit out there on nights like this and just look at the stars.

            Whether it’s a blessing or a miracle that happened we actually got through the day without any problems. In the first place it was probably just me that’s been overthinking…

            “Hey, did you bring friends out here back in high school?” Myungsoo asked again.

            “Yeah, we would usually play games and stuff” I replied facing the wall.

            “You do have a lot of friends, even now”

            In a blink, I was lying down and staring up the ceiling. I glanced at his direction but he was out of sight, “Well, for the record you’re the first one to stay the night”

            “Really?”

Myungsoo suddenly bolted up right towards me. He sounded pleased.  

            “Not even your girlfriend?”

            “For a second back there I actually forgot how you pisses me big time” I smug him off turning to my back.

            “Hey, hey let’s talk I’m bored.”

            “If you don’t mind, some people are trying to sleep here”

            “When did you ever had your first girlfriend?”

            “Not telling” no way I’m gonna tell that the last girl I had was in middle school!

            “Don’t tell me you never even had one!” yup. He really, really pisses me off

            “I had a girlfriend! We even kissed!” in my irritation I sat on my bed and threw a pillow at him.

            “Wow, so you brought her to your room?” Myungsoo took the pillow I threw at him and sat with his back to me. Amidst the ill lighted room, I could still make out his broad shoulders before me.

             I did have a girlfriend I’m honest, but truth be told I didn’t even bring them home. But I hate losing to this guy.

            “Of course I did… ha-ha” augh. What’s with that reply, he must’ve know that I was lying.

            “Oh, so why did you broke up?”

            “Uhmm, when we move away because of my dad’s work…”

            “Wait, when was that? You moved before high school right? Don’t tell me you never had… Ah…” *ROFL silent mode

            If it wasn’t for the reason that I promised my sisters something I could choke this guy up to his last breath. How can I have a love life back in high school when all the girls just go round flocking over you! And to think that the girl I like likes you!

            “You enjoying this aren’t you?” I said watching his shoulders heaving up and down, laughing while trying to mute his voice.

            “Haha sorry. But when was the last time you kissed?”

            “The last what?” His question dug up the memory I’ve so long buried deep in my brain, and for the first time I was able to appreciate the darkness by masking my expression. I can feel the blood rush to my face and heat up my cheeks. My throat was dry and I felt something strange churning up in the inside of my stomach. I hate it when he sees me red but I hate myself more for it, it’s just way to embarrassing for a guy to go red on something like this.

            “When did you last kissed someone? Don’t tell she was the last?” Myungsoo started to laugh again.

            “No! Of course not!” I said in a snitch.

            “Oh yeah? Who?”

            I think I just dug my own grave. I thought as I followed his question with silence. I can’t tell him that he’s the one right? I can’t, No way! There’s no way on earth…

            “Someone special?”