Troubled Hearts

Seven Days

Sungjong’s POV

            That day, I wasn’t prepared.

I wasn’t prepared when I opened that door and saw my friend crouching like a kid at the corner of the room, tears were streaming down his face as he hold unto his phone. When our eyes met I swear I can saw pain written all over them.

He hugged me and I didn’t complain. I have nothing to say, more like I don’t know what to say. He cried on my shoulders, and all I could do was pat his back make sure he can rely on me. I didn’t ask any questions, there no need. His phone registered one call and that eighty one second call was enough for make this guy fall apart.

Myungsoo cried himself to sleep but even in his sleep tears were falling down his cheeks. I can’t help but reach out to wipe them for him. I lay there beside him, catching his tears as they fall… what on earth am I doing

This guy, who always managed to laugh at small things is now in so much pain that even me, his friend, doesn’t know what to do.

If only that person could see how much this guy had cried for him. He’ll definitely know he’s loved.

I haven’t seen anyone cry like this because of someone they love.

            Hey, guy that Myungsoo likes, why would you not like someone like him?

 

            “There’s not a thing in you that’s not to like about” I didn’t even realize I was saying that and fell asleep.

            Monday came, Myungsoo made no plans to go to class but I have to force myself to stay and act okay for my friend. During the weekend I was in constant alert if Myungsoo does anything stupid. Once, I fell asleep and Myungsoo careless slipped and locked himself up in the shower. I searched for the key like crazy thinking what may happened. All the while I feel like my heart’s going to jump right out my chest only to find him asleep on the bathroom floor.

Even though he managed to smile and say sorry, I still never want to have that feeling ever again. When I left I made sure to hide anything dangerous and made him swear not to do anything funny.

 Drowning myself in coffee just to stay awake and muster the last bit of energy in my body to move I made my way out of the dorm, walked the same route and arrived in school fifteen minutes before classes start. There’s nothing new except for the eyes that stared at me as I made my way to school. Everyone’s whispering and it seems that they’re all directed at me.

            Apparently, no one had a clue as to who that guy Myungsoo kissed in the park yet. Is it because I’m his roommate that they’re curious about it? Sorry folks, you’re not getting any information for me.

            But I was wrong on the part that no one guessed who the other guy with Myungsoo.. Because it turned out to be the biggest misunderstanding in my life.

 

End of POV

            “What’s wrong guys?” the younger boy asked as his friends strangely looked at him.  

            “See, they really look alike!” Chanyeol, Sungjong’s classmate exclaimed.  “Ne, Sungjong it’s really you right?”

            “But this guy looked bit taller than him. It’s not him, right Sungjong-yah?” Baekhyun their classmate and Chanyeol’s close friend commented.

            “Oi, Oi. Don’t jump into any crazy conclusions.” It was Woohyun to try to calm down the situation.

            “What on earth are ya all talking?” Sungjong asked confused.

            “Are you and Myungsoo going out?” his friends almost chorused at the question. Some of the students that were eavesdropping was now looking straight at Sungjong waiting for his response.

            “You saw the photo right? Somehow other guy looked like you. So are you really two together?”

            “Is it really you?”

            “It’s you right?”

            “You’re the only person we know that’s close to him”

            “You two are roommates after all”

            “Are you really together?”

Sungjong looked blank then horrified. He can’t even managed to say anything with a revelation that monumental. He never saw it coming, not even a hint that me might get into trouble as stupendous as this. Sungjong breathing paces up, he felt dizzy, his brain could not even process the information that it decided to shut itself down and quit. The last thing Sungjong saw was his friends running out to catch his fall.

In the past days since the photo was uploaded, gossip have flown like flies. Everyone wanted to know who is “Myungsoo’s boyfriend”, they wanted to see who is “the guy that stole Myungsoo”, “the guy who managed to snatch the freshmen heartthrob”, and “the guy who made the girls cry”   among other things.

It was fairly an easy thing to do. Girls scour Myungsoo’s social accounts, checking. It’s like everyone turned into a question machine and little detectives themselves. Upon seeing Sungjong’s sleeping face while studying being posted in Myungsoo’s account, people who saw them walking together, and some even saw them walked out of a convenience store “like a couple”. Putting up these misread facts one by one it was clear how easily they would conclude that it was none other than Sungjong.

It’s now clear the reason behind those strange looks everyone’s giving him.

            “Hey kiddo, you feeling alright now?” Woohyun smiled at his friend and classmate as Sungjong slowly wakes up.

            “Hyung? What happened? Where are we?” Sungjong asked looking around. He still felt weak and drowsy plus there’s a slight constant throbbing pain on his head.

            “Yah! Yah! Don’t try to stand up. Get some rest, you suddenly passed out it scared the hell out of us.” Woohyun said.

             “No, I’m okay. I need to go home” Sungjong tried to get up but Woohyun stopped him.

            “Don’t be a thickhead Sungjong. Fatigue, stress, and lack of sleep. That’s what the nurse said.” Woohyun was getting impatient. “You better get back to sleep or I’ll do the honours of punching the daylight out of you if it will make you go to sleep. Got it?”

            “But hyung I have to go…” Sungjong began to protest but Woohyun cut him off.

            “If you’re worried over that guy don’t worry I took care of it. Go back to sleep. That’s not asking, I’m telling you to” this time Woohyun smiled at his friend as if pleading.

            “Hyung, promise me to check if he’s alright …. Okay?” Sungjong said giving in, he went back to lying down on the bed and in a few moments fell asleep.

Woohyun shook his head in disbelief. “How could you even think of someone else’s situation with yours being like this.”

The infirmary door opened and it was Myungsoo.

“You lucky bastard” Woohyun murmured to himself but loud enough for Myungsoo to hear as he stood to leave.  He walked up Myungsoo and said, “I don’t know what the hell is going on but I would never feel sorry beating the crap out of you if something like this ever happen again.” Then left without another word.

The sun was setting and the school’s population started to thin out when Sungjong woke up the second time around. He felt a little bit refreshed from getting some sleep, he felt a calming warmth beside all this time and it was able to give something of a soothing sense. But he almost fell on the bed seeing that the warmth was coming from his roommate sleeping soundly beside him.

                Around the same time, the door suddenly opened and a face Sungjong was so familiar with even though he had only seen it once was standing there.

                “Ah, are you looking for the school nurse?” Sungjong tried to start a casual conversation. He glanced at Myungsoo who was still asleep. “Ah, my roommate he kinda fell asleep next to me”

                “I’m just here to get talk something to the nurse” Sungyeol said in a deadpan tone. “Since she’s not here I’m leaving”

                “Uhmm, wait… “Sungjong wanted to say something but he didn’t what to.

                “What do you want?” Sungyeol still appeared uninterested.

                “I, I came to know that you two knew each other”

                This time Sungyeol’s face twisted into a nervous almost horrified expression. “What did he say? Whatever it is it’s not true”

                “No, Myungsoo never told me anything. It’s just some time I ago I saw you two talking” Sungjong said. More like arguing in each other’s throat though he thought.

                “Look, I knew his family and I’m friends with his brother but that guy and I was never close”

                “But, he’s in a difficult situation right now at least you could talk to him” Sungjong insisted, “You know as someone he knows”

                “You know him, why don’t you talk to him” Sungyeol sounded sarcastic.

                “But you know him longer than I do” Sungjong said getting serious. How can he leave Myungsoo alone to face the situation? I mean I know you’ve rejected him for god knows how many times but at least could you even talk to him like a normal person?

 “Look, I’m happy where I am now. If he ever dared to ruin it I will never forgive for the rest of my life” Sungyeol said getting angry, “He created the problem himself it’s only natural he should fix it. You seem to be close to him why don’t you help. If you have nothing more to say, I’m leaving”

                Was that your warning of saying to never expose that you were the guy in the photo? If you put it that way, what on earth is going to happen? More importantly… how did I get mixed up in all of this?!! *internal loud screaming.

                Sungjong was too deep in his thoughts again that he didn’t even noticed his roommate had been lying awake.

                “What to do… what to do?” He kept on talking to himself when Myungsoo decided to “wake up”. But before anyone of them could say something Sungjong’s phone began to ring and Sungyeol came almost running to the door, angry.

                “So what now?” Myungsoo calmly asked amidst all the chaos.

                “I honestly don’t know, too tired to even think.” Sungjong was exhausted in more ways than one as the door to their opened. The latter walked and threw himself on the bed while Myungsoo decided to settle himself on the chair. Together they sat in silence, not because they don’t have anything to talk about but for once they’ve felt that the four corners of their small dormitory room was enough to keep all the problems away.

*some time ago at the infirmary*

                “Your brother had seen the photo! What are you going to do about it!!?” Sungjong yelled with anger and threw the phone at Myungsoo. He doesn’t even care that there’s someone else in the room aside from them.

                “Hyung, calm down” Myungsoo tried to talk.

                Sungjong could not say anything, slowly and silently he excused himself from the scene and went out the door to take the call.

                “ Hello? Jiae? What is it?”

                “Sunsun’pa*, is it true that you have a boyfriend? We saw the photo.”

                That moment Sungjong felt like his world had totally turned upside down.

                “Yah, Sungjongie! This Ai’na, is it true? Where are you?” a loud voice called out from the other side of the line.

                “Ailee! Lower your voice, you’re too loud. Give me the phone. Hello? Sungjong-ah, this is big sis. Listen, we’re not angry about it. Where are you? Are you okay? Is your guy there?”

                “Huh? Guy? He’s with someone else” Sungjong was not even sure what was going on as his mind went blank too many times already nor did he answer the question thinking the situation.

                “with someone else? What do you mean?” there was a paused, “ Is that idiot having an affair already? Give him the g*d**** phone and I’ll shred hi to pieces!” Yuu, the oldest snapped.

                Sungjong stood there outside the nurse’s office; listening to his sibling’s voice rambling on the other side of the phone yet he wasn’t even listening. Not one word was getting inside his brain for processing.

                “Got that Sun-sun?” Jiae asked.

                “Huh? Yeah sure. Got what?” Sungjong asked thoughtlessly.

                “Bring your boyfriend for the weekend. We wanted to meet him. You must bring him okay? Bye-bye Sun-sun!” the line went dead as it slowly dawned to Sungjong what just happened while the door flew opened and a furious Sungyeol stormed off.

                *Back to the Present*

                “He said if that guy knows about this it’s over. Ha-ha funny, over what? There was nothing there in the start, not even that kiss. If I’d know I should’ve just forced it” Myungsoo started laughing in irony.

                “My sisters saw the photo and if I don’t have a proper explanation, there will be blood.” Sungjong said. “What on earth are we gonna do?”

                Myungsoo sat quiet for some time looking at his friend. He opened his mouth to speak but fell silent back again.

“I have a solution but you might not like it.” He finally said.

                “Then don’t say it.” Sungjong was quick to answer.

                “I’m sorry I dragged you into this whole mess. I’ll come with you to tell your sisters the truth.”

                “Are ya okay with that? One of my sisters has friends here at the university, if you tell them she will definitely make sure to stop the rumour by telling the truth”

                Myungsoo was silent.

                “He said that he will hate you if that happens. You might lose the chance to patch it up with him”

                “I’ll…I’ll manage somehow. I think… I don’t want you to be in trouble more than you already have” Myungsoo tried to smile but Sungjong was not to be deceived as the painful expression starts to show on the former’s face.

                “Don’t be a drama queen man,” Sungjong laughed as he threw a pillow at his friend. “You already gave me enough trouble to last a year, what’s one more? That solution of yours, think it might work?”

                “Probably” Myungsoo smiled hugging the pillow.

                “Let’s hear it”

                “Promise you won’t beat me up?”

                “Promise”

                “Promise not to kill me?”

                “What the hell is that solution of yours?!” Sungjong was getting curious.

                “Just promise” the both of them sounded like a kid.

                “Fine! Promise”

                “Promise to only say yes after this. You’re brave right?” Myungsoo asked.

For a second that their eyes caught each other’s gaze Sungjong felt nervous with a bit of fear creeping up his body but as a man his pride kept him from chickening out.

                “Jeez, just hurry up already. Yes. Okay? There I said it. I’ll say “Yes” to everything!” Sungjong was grinning but he can’t deny that equal parts of curiosity and equal parts nervousness he was feeling.

                Myungsoo did not take his gaze at his friend moreover he was intently staring at Sungjong.

                “Date me”.

                Yeah. What’s one more trouble right? Sungjong’s inner voice resounded from within.

 

 

 

.................................IDeviant...............................................

Guys! I'm really really sorry for not updating for two weeks, I had to brig my LT to the doctor for  a surgery and it took some time. had it reformatted and had to reprogram some system so I'm really sorry. 

I worked to finish chapter IX the moment I got my LT , that's today whohoo haha. I hope you enjoy