Tuesdays and Fridays

Seven Days

Four months had passed since Myungsoo and I became friends. The infamous playboy image he has back in high school is the complete opposite of his true character. I, for one was guilty of believing in gossips back then, if Myungsoo didn’t become my roommate I would’ve be living a life misjudging someone just because of  stupid rumours.

            Living with a person in a single room for a period of time you learn to notice their peculiarities and habits. You became aware of the difference in their attitude when they’re outside and when they’re alone. Myungsoo is no exception; he would sit on his bed leaning by the wall while staring outside the window listening to music on his headphones with a blank almost melancholic expression. But when he noticed me standing by the door his face would suddenly smile and greet me, as if the sad face he had just moments ago never happened. It was easy for him to gain new friends but somehow none of them seemed to be really close to him. Even I felt that there’s this wall he has around him that he refuses anyone to let anyone in.

            Outside he can be pretty stylish but he always wears the same black shirt and pants in our dorm. He likes onigiri* a lot to even eat it as a snack next to it is kimchi. When you talk to him and he’s nodding his head towards you, he’s not listening at all. But when he’s silent, you would be surprise by how much he was listening to you. He had this thing about biting his lower lip whenever he’s hungry or he likes something but is hesitating to have it.

            He acts cool whenever I see him at school but when we’re alone; he can be childish and acts like a complete dork. The only thing I think that’s consistent about him all throughout is that he’s actually a good guy in person.

            Being his roommate was never a problem until two weeks ago. Myungsoo and I only shared a few of our lecture classes together, we’re both taking Arts but he’s on film and photography while I’m on architectural design. That day our classes lasted longer than usual and we even met by the hallway while I’m going to my next class and he’s already leaving for the day. Nothing seemed to be out of ordinary. When I got into our room and he’s not there I didn’t find it unusual either. I read my notes, ate dinner, and would occasionally glance at my watch. Curfew were at ten but during Tuesday and Friday nights where we have no class the next day curfew rules doesn’t apply. But if you got caught drinking, then it’s another matter.

Our dorm was situated in just a five-minute walk away from the school, though it’s used as a dormitory now, before it was the summer house of the owner of the school. It has a large kitchen, its own library and before it has a pool but is now turned into more rooms. First year Art students are housed the on the first floor, the senior students occupy the second and third floor. The dorm was surrounded by large trees and almost looked like a big house in the middle of a forest. Sometimes the school use this as an advantage for Art students like us. Our room was at the back of the dormitory at the end of the hallway, to the left of the west wing opposite the storage and supply room. We were able to get the room at a cheap rate because it was supposed to be haunted, well more money for me. With a large window, two beds opposite each other by the white-washed walls, AC, two study tables, a bathroom, and a small fridge. Our room already has a closet when I first arrived; Myungsoo gave me the top two drawers and the left side of the cabinet to hang my clothes. Because of the location of our room being the farthest away and the fact that the room before ours was recently vacant it’s easy to sneak in and out after curfew without being noticed. Once you slipped out the window, you easily can disappear into the overgrown bushes and large trees just a few steps away.  

That day I didn’t notice anything was off, I ate dinner with the other guys on the dorm kitchen, took a bath, studied a bit, and finally went off to sleep. Sometimes I glanced at his bed and thought of sending him an email but decided not to. He’s probably out with his others friends or so I thought.

I woke up to the small tapping sounds by the window. Myungsoo’s bed was still empty, I got up and slid open the window and my roommate was outside barfing while holding unto his stomach, obviously very drunk. That was the first time me seeing Myungsoo like that. I helped him get into the room, made him drink some water and put him to bed all the while he’s making inaudible speeches. This strange behaviour went on until now, every Tuesday and Friday night he would disappear only to return drunk. In the morning I would leave his portion of breakfast in his table along with glass of water along with a tablet of aspirin.

When we would meet in one of our lectures, I didn’t say anything. We talk as though nothing happened and smile just like usual. But when we’re alone, he tapped my shoulders and whispered “thank you”. I responded by lightly punching him on the shoulders, “Just don’t overdo it” I said before leaving. I didn’t look at his face and know he would have that stupid goofy smile again.

Our school’s annual festival is coming, and I’ve been busy spending my free time on our project. Even though we don’t have classes on Wednesdays I still spend it on school to finish our group exhibit. On weekends I work part time on a convenience store till eight in the evening.  But on days that Myungsoo and I would be in our room, he would amuse himself with his camera while I work on my sketches.

“Would you like to have the adzuki ice cream or the vanilla?” Myungsoo asked when he opened the fridge, it’s Thursday and I was working on the costume designs for a play in our school. Myungsoo as usual seemed to have more free time than me and has been lounging in his bed all this time. Though sometimes he would stand up and peeked over my shoulders to see what I’m doing.

“Adzuki, and there’s onigiri on the plastic bag” I said turning around while stretching my body from sitting for hours. I took off my glasses and laid them on the table as Myungsoo prepared our snacks.

I wanted to ask him so many questions but Myungsoo was giving an expression that he doesn’t want to talk about it.

“At least, don’t get into an accident” I thought to myself as I remember the wounds on his wound on his arms.

“Hey, you’re mumbling again” Myungsoo said as his face broke into a grin.

            “I am? Sorry” I tried to sound casual as I stuffed my mouth with the ice cream.

            “Jeez, you’re way too cute” Myungsoo laughed.

            “Call me cute and I’ll kick you.”

            Myungsoo only laughed harder, “You’re just like back then”

            “Are you looking for a fight?” 

Ever since I was a kid I’ve been aware of how scrawny I am, I wanted to grow a beard but can’t, and no matter how I stuff myself with food I barely gained weight. For a girl that maybe is a good thing but for a guy like me it’s a disaster. I would get into fights and cut my hair short. I even shaved my head once and almost end up joining a gang but because I manage to gain some good friends I was able to somehow derail from that path.

In high school, I learn to slowly control myself. It was hard at first by my teacher forced me to join the drama club and along the way I was able to convert the outburst of energy into something meaning. The middle school kid that was me back then would never think that I’ll end up as an art student. The, me back then would’ve probably beat the hell out of me after seeing me designing clothes for a play.

“By the way, why are you designing clothes? I thought you’re on architectural department.” Myungsoo asked glancing on my sketches.

            “I have a friend in the theatre department; he asked me if I could design some for them. I don’t really mind since I’ve also done it in high school”

            “You’re in the theatre club back in our school?” Myungsoo asked, surprised.

            “Drama club, teacher Nell forced me to join during my first year” It was like hell at first. I thought to myself as I remember getting dragged into the club room by my first year history teacher.

            “Oh, I didn’t know that” Myungsoo nodded his head as if thinking that both of us actually came from the same high school but never really got to talk to each other until now.

            “Well now you know.” Saying as I get back to my work, I glanced at the onigiri on the table. “Don’t disturb me and you can have my share”

            Before I completely lost myself back on my work I heard Myungsoo gave a short laugh and thanking me for the onigiri.

By the time I finish it was near dinner time, I thought my roommate had gone out of the room hours ago because of boredom but to my surprise he was sleeping like a log on his bed.

            “Jeez man, you look like a kid when you’re sleeping.” I said out loud knowing he won’t hear. “But kids don’t go into a drunken state like that.  What made you like that? ” my last words I spoke more to myself. I took off his headphones, put away his camera and finally drape a blanket on my roommate and went out of the room

            Since the day I saw your name on the result board I’ve been bombarded with questions.

 After knowing that we’re roommates I thought I could finally ask him but until now, the questions had been piling up by themselves. 

            “How come you’re in this school?”

“Back in high school, is it true that you would date anyone who would confess to you?”

            “Why do you always had that pained expression whenever you’re alone?”

            “Why are you so different when you’re surrounded by people? Didn’t you know you look better if you just act like yourself?”

            “Does your family have problems? Is it the reason? Or it’s something else?”

            “Do you want to talk about it?”

            “I’m your friend right?”

That evening, my roommate woke me to eat dinner with the others on the kitchen. Around ten o’clock I saw him sneaked out the window when he thought I was asleep. I watched him put on his hood before being swallowed by the darkness.

“At least close the window you idiot. It’s too cold.” the moon’s almost full, I didn’t know for how long I stayed sitting by the window. My head was empty; I just sat there looking at the moon and the few scattered stars in the sky. His bed was empty, how long have he been sneaking out like this? It’s not only Tuesday and Fridays huh?

            My eyes are getting heavy; I closed the window leaving the lock open and went to bed.

 

 

...................................................IDeviant........................................................... 

Hello everyone *bows90D

After a Short break, well, here I am. 

Seven Days actually emerged the victor among the four stories I was planning to write (yup, I put'em in a contest of their own xD). 

I just like how the flow of the story goes and how they interact inside your mind, it's almost you have your own movie theatre and you're the director in everything. hahaha, maybe the reason why I don't go out to movies to often... feels like I don't have the need to anwyays XD 

Please enjoy, ( hahaha I feel like I'm offering a cup of coffee saying thisxD)