1. brilliant minds, stupid hearts.

710 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First.

Baekhyun’s parents left him to be cared for by his grandparents at the age of twelve. They explained everything to him and he absorbed however much information his young mind can. They pursued divorce in the U.S. and settled with their own partners and eventually with their own families leaving Baekhyun with a generous trust fund. His parents were responsible enough to provide for his every need. Money was never an issue but he never even once abused it. He spent only for the necessities at school, simple food and regular clothes. He knew the value of keeping himself secure financially, mentally and emotionally at a young age. He aced every exam, topped every competition at all  levels, maintained friends at school  and while he finished his high school in the province where his grandparents lived, Baekhyun has always known his life is meant to be lived someplace else. He has always known to be methodical, analytical and he believes himself to be reasonable with all his decisions. Right now, he thinks that Chanyeol doesn’t fit in the equation of his young life if he intends on moving forward.

Chanyeol comes from a modest family living in the province and is the middle child in a brood of seven. His parents were high school undergraduates and were forced into the marriage at an early age. His teachers saw great potential with his outstanding mind even besting students from elite schools in the city during competitions. He completed all his years of studies under a British academic grant. He excelled in his studies, earning the highest Latin honours in his graduating class. Chanyeol worked hard as a student and as a store clerk at a mini-grocery to add to the family’s measly income. He divided his scholarship allowance among his siblings, not once allowing them to stop their schooling. He stretched his twenty four hours into double time. Sleeping outside the public library just so he could have first dibs on the new edition of their textbook. Chanyeol has lived nineteen years of his life knowing fully-well the words sacrifice, loyalty, and love. Right now, he doesn’t need the love of his life bull-ting his way into breaking up with him.

“Don’t I get a say in this, Baek? We are in a relationship. This is us being not together and I say I don’t agree with your bull reason. We’re not breaking up, Baek. I love you, okay?”

“Can you just ing quit your lawyering on me for once, Chanyeol?! This is about us, I know it okay? I love you, too and I am half as much involved in this relationship as you are. My feelings hold as much weight as yours. Can you just please give these thoughts a day and let’s talk again tomorrow when your mind is in a better –“

“No Baek, I’m not allowing it. I know where my mind and heart stands on this. You’re not breaking up with me and that’s final. “

“I am not asking for permission to break up with you. I don’t need you to understand me or agree with me. This is my decision and this is final, Chanyeol. Accept it.”

And with those last two words, Baekhyun walked away.

 

********

Second.

Baekhyun just stared at the cell phone’s screen showing the name of the person calling him at this inopportune time. He purposely kept his number, secretly hoping this day will come. But he cannot pick up this call. Not now when they are in the middle of a service for his closest friend who passed away yesterday so abruptly. His heart is still broken by the suddenness of events and this phone call is really the last thing he needs right now. It keeps ringing silently in his hands though. “Chanyeol…” he rejects the call again and again.

“Really, Baek? I didn’t even deserve a final goodbye from you?” Chanyeol spoke to the wind after pocketing his mobile phone. He called just wanting to see if Baekhyun have kept his old number. Yes, he was just curious, no deeper meaning to it. But who was he kidding? There was no one here in front of this main library gate but just his sorry self. He is still in his suit and tie coming to this place right after the commencement exercises at the main hall where he sneaked out after getting enough congratulatory hugs and pats from friends. He just has to try to call Baekhyun. It was his graduation today and he just thought that it may be enough of a reason to contact his boyfriend. Correction, his ex-boyfriend although he clearly remembers not agreeing to the break-up. He was desperate then as he is now. He just wants to hear his voice or maybe just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter