Information and Background

Shangri La - The Land of Blossoms (Writer's Block)

What is Crowstown?

Crowstown is a modern day 2017 small town fishing village located on the coast of Washington State where the mountains meet the rivers and flow out to the great Pacific ocean. A heavy air of mystery surrounds the town which is rumored to have been the site of a Native American Indian massacre in the late 1700s. 

Tragedy seems to have befallen the town since this time.. Some tourists passing through seem drawn to the town and find it difficult to leave. Whether this is the result of the locations natural beauty or a sinister calling to some with tangled family trees - it is not for us to say. Suffice to say - for some it is more difficult to leave than for others.


Crowstown Timeline

1852 - Fishermen discover the island

1855 - First established homestead (The Stormborne and Rosecast Families among the first settlers)

1889 - Stormborne and Rosecast Wars

1885 - Small column in Seattle Times about the strange weather of the island

1900 - Solidified itself as a fishing town.

1925 - unverified reports of a fog covering the island

1945 - Ferry is established and tourists are invited to the island.

2010 - Big Tony's Blunder

2011 - Missing college student found alive

            Scandal in a small town Big Garcia is no longer Mayor

2012 - unexpected natural weather destroy's island. Island Evacuated.

2013 - Crowstown town restored

2014 -Residents return to the town.

2015 -Now


Crowstown History

Crowstown is a small fishing/mining town established off the coast of Seattle, Washington in 1855, founded by two local magnate families, the Stormbornes and Rosecast. There is little information known about the small fishing town in it's early years, aside from historical records detailing strange weather and earthquakes unusual for the area. It wasn't until 1945 when a Ferry system was created that traveling to Crowstown became convenient.  People in Seattle and other areas found the small island a nice place for hiking and weekend getaways.

It wasn't until 2010 that Crowstown gained national attention in what has become known as Big Tony's Blunder, named after the long serving mayor of Crowstown, Garcia Velaquez. Missing hikers and a spree of unexplained homicides took place during an occurrence of a long lasting fog and resulted in prominent news coverage  regarding the competency of the township's administration.  It was later discovered that  many of the incidents reported turned out to be exaggerated or unsubstantiated  in order to generate tourism. The mayor steadfastly denied any involvement with spreading the sensational stories to the news media.

In 2011, Crowstown once again made the news when two of three missing college students who disappeared during the fog incident of last year were found alive in a closed mining tunnel just outside the town. While the third student, Kendra Lewis, was never found, the other two, Elizabeth West and Lola Garpucci were later reunited with their families. Later that year, Mayor Garcia Velaquez once again made the news with charges of embezzling from the town's citizens. investigative reports found  that the Deputy Mayor, Diana Lacombe, had drained the towns budget on personal spending and travel. She was later tried for embezzlement and mishandling of government funds. Logan Haul, a local business owner and retired professor, replaced Ms. Islar as the Deputy Mayor following her official resignation.

In 2012, the biggest natural disaster ever recorded in the Pacific Northwest struck Crowstown,  originating from a very large earthquake and resulting in extreme flooding, blanketing the entire island. Crowstown was evacuated as the town was completely destroyed by the flooding and earthquake damage. It isn't until 2013 that the island was cleared of the damage and reconstruction began to take place.  In 2014, many basic services were restored and the island residents were finally allowed to return including Tabbie Blackthorne, the only living decedent of the Blackthorne family.


National News

In 2012, the United States economy collapsed into what was known as the second Great Depression, setting off a domino effect of economic calamity throughout the rest of the world. Local government collapsed, resulting in local infrastructure failing, leaving many without water, power, or medical care within major U.S. cities. The resulting food riots decimated many major industrial hubs, causing further violence and chaos.

By 2014, the economic picture became less bleak after an overhaul of the financial system helped spur growth as well as the newly needed construction programs in order to rebuild America's infrastructure. By 2015,  the economy is slowly rebuilding but stable. However, much of the wealth from pre-crash days has evaporated and many luxuries once taken for granted have become hard to come by.

On the Supernatural Side...

2012 was the start of the new regime.

Ancient powers were awoken from their eons long slumber and began to take back what was once rightly theirs, starting with disrupting most of the world's governments by destroying the economic system. Those that stood against them were destroyed and made as an example of what would happen to those that opposed their rule. While some bowed to their new overlords, many supernaturals made the choice to fight against these oppressors. A secret war only known to the supernaturals began to rage across the globe, masked by the turmoil of the world economic crash and resulting chaos and war. The dividing lines between the supernatural races became blurry, as wolves fought against wolves, vampire against kind, both sides locked in a sort of civil war.

In the end, the ancients were defeated( many destroyed in battle)  and talk of enslaving the human race was ended. Those that had fought with the ancient went to ground, fearing they would suffer the same fate of the ancients. In order to help prevent another total war of survival, a truce was drawn between the races.

As a result of the truce it was agreed upon by all that there should be a council of Supernaturals within each region, each race having a representative. Even humans had representatives, those in high authority brought into the secret world existing in the shadows for the first time. A list of rules were created and expected to be enforced among all, for the safety of their future kind. Throughout the world, these self contained councils were set up in different towns and cities, loosely united to keep order.

Crowstown is not an exception to the laws of the council. With many supernatural drawn to the mysterious power emanating from the island itself, it had no choice but to set up a governing board from it's diverse population. 


Exercept: 

It has been more then a year since the unnatural ‘fog’ that forced the evacuation of Crowstown receded. Extensive testing and observation has deemed the region safe again. The Governor of Washington has been overseeing the slow and cautious reintegration of the region. Services have been re-established with the final goal of allowing the displaced to return to their homes.  

That day has finally come. 

While most of humanity can not trace the exact reasoning behind the drastic decline that lead to the downturn of society that took the world by storm - and many blame it on conspiracy theory, religion, or government - America, and the world, still wrestle with economic uncertainty and regional instability. But, things have calmed considerably. There is hope. Somehow as the year passed, humanity fought hard for it's survival and the rebirth of society as we once knew it was dawning with each passing day. 

It wont be easy for anyone, trust funds are gone, banks dwindled in the down fall, but capitalism and commerce are returning, along with the conveniences of normal daily lives. Still, most of us wont forget the long food and handout lines in the refugee camps. We understand loss and we mourn the ones who didn't make it. 

A mayor has been appointed until elections can be held.   The police are well established and the other emergency services have a rudimentary presence.  There is a regular ferry service into Seattle again.  The displaced have all been contacted and invited to return to their homes and businesses, and the next of kin notified where appropriate.

Welcome home.

Like any tale, there are two sides to tell. Those who understand the unnatural or cursed, or what ever it is that exists outside the realm of Mankind, know that the world's inhabitants suffered by what is known as The Purge - a war amongst the supernaturals. Long slumbering ancient powers awoke and battled for supremacy, pulling all supernatural beings into their war.  The torrents of power unleashed had chaotic, destabilizing and in some places, fatal consequences.

The hidden war raged for a year.  Some took what refuge they could and tried to ride out the storm.  Some fought in the service of Eldridge powers and old gods. Most recognized that the war was tearing their world apart.  The Old Ones had no regard for casualties or the cost of victory.  Through great sacrifice many of the ancients were destroyed, some forced into exile and the remainder pressed back into slumber.  The supernatural community has been gutted by the conflict, many of their numbers lost and the survivors are still picking up the pieces.  Whole societal structures have been crippled or vanished, super-naturals left leaderless and on their own.

The rules are as they ever were. Though the herds have been thinned, its only instinct to rebuild and coven the system to which and how we survive.