Forget Paris

Something Happened to My Heart

Ji Hoo had just gotten on the plane for Paris. Her heart freshly broken, Jan Di watched the plane preparing to embark from beside the runway with Gu Jun Pyo. She already missed Ji Hoo. But that was silly, wasn't it?

First of all, it wasn't like they had a special relationship or anything… She didn't even know him all that well... But regardless, he was special to her. He had been her savior, her white knight, her first love, and a dream… But he never reciprocated any of her feelings, so what was the use in thinking about what could have been…? What would she have done if he stayed, anyway? March up to him and say: I like you, Sunbae! Wanna go on a date?

Ridiculous!

Not to mention, it was partially her fault that he was gone. She was the one who had begged Seo Hyun to stay for him, and then she was the one who pushed him to follow Seo Hyun to Paris. Jan Di released a defeated sigh, pondering what an idiot she'd been, and she took a sip of her coffee. She would be lying to say that she didn't regret it a bit, but she couldn't be selfish with him. She couldn't stand seeing the man she cared for so much in such agony. He had no reason to stay anyway, least of all for her.

So long as he is happy, I will be happy, she told herself.

Jan Di could still feel Ji Hoo's burning kiss upon her forehead. The sensation of his lips upon her, even in such an innocent fashion, had been like a fantasy and had sent her heart fluttering wildly like a butterfly. But then, it was immediately crushed by the realization that it was a goodbye kiss.

She had replayed the scenario so many times in her head already. It had simply been a friend kiss, hadn't it? A 'thanks, kid', I appreciate you… Or, perhaps it had been the type of kiss a big brother gives to his little sister. At best, that's what she was to him, a little sister that he watched out for…


Still lost in the forest of her thoughts, Jan Di barely noticed when Jun Pyo stood before her, placing a hand on each side of her. He leaned in, causing her to shrink back and press against his ultra-tiny sports car. What is he doing?

She forcibly swallowed the gulp of coffee in . Jun Pyo said her name and whispered something just as the roar of the jet engine making its ascent drowned out his voice. She blinked several times, and he went to the drivers' side of his car. "What did he just say?" She shrugged it off and ducked into his jet black Lotus Europa S, that frankly hurt her back slightly to get into. She didn't know how Jun Pyo did it all the time with those long legs of his.


Jan Di was deathly silent on the drive back. She thought of Ji Hoo and then surprisingly, she thought of Jun Pyo.

She wasn't sure what to make of Gu Jun Pyo. He wasn't the monster she'd originally thought him to be. He'd shown some scraps of humanity, even genuine kindness, when she was broken-hearted over Ji Hoo on the night of Seo Hyun's birthday party. He'd made it possible for her to save face in front of Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun; he'd allowed her to work out her frustrations, and he'd even looked after her when she'd gotten…drunk…, threw up on his shoes, and passed out… She cringed, still unable to believe that one.

So, Gu Jun Pyo and the rest of F4 were not all bad. She felt grateful to them in a way, and perhaps they could even be friends.


Jan Di awoke the next morning with sore, puffy eyes. Despite accepting Ji Hoo's decision to leave and knowing that they would never be, she'd cried over him. She didn't expect that he would be easy to get over… After all, first loves were always painful, or so she'd heard...

Ugh, get it together, Geum Jan Di, fighting! She dressed for school.

Jan Di walked into Shinhwa High in a daze. She wasn't in the best mood and hoped she didn't run into Jun Pyo. She no longer hated him, and yes, she appreciated what he'd done for her, but that wasn't to say she felt like dealing with him right now. He had a way of making everything difficult. Jan Di went about her day, which so far had been relatively uneventful.


It was nearing lunch, and Jan Di was on her way to meet up with Min-Ji. She stumbled through the hall but stopped short when she saw Miranda, Sunny, and Ginger, gathered with a large group of girls. She didn't want to deal with them, either.

She turned to go back the other direction, not because she couldn't handle them, but just because she wasn't in the mood for their nonsense right now. But then, something caught her ear. Normally Jan Di didn't care about the gossip of the Shinhwa girls, but this news was of particular interest to her. She hid in a corner and listened in.

The girls were all squealing about Ji Hoo Sunbae being back from Paris. Jan Di gaped, and her heart skipped a beat. It had only been a day! But then she immediately felt guilt over her excitement. Something must have gone terribly wrong for him to be back so soon, and she was very worried that he would be depressed.

"So, you're saying that Ji Hoo Sunbae and Min Seo Hyun are no longer together," one of the female masses exclaimed.

Jan Di gripped the wall harder.

"That's right," Ginger stated.

"So, he's single, then?" a female admirer of his clasped her hands together in hope.

"Don't get excited. He's out of your league," Miranda scoffed. The girl shot her a dirty look in return.

"Oh, poor Ji Hoo Sunbae…," Sunny lamented, "We should do something for him!"

The girls prattled on, but Jan Di had heard enough. She decided she would go to look for Ji Hoo. She wanted to check to make sure that he was OK.


Jan Di ran out of the school, first searching the wooded area where he went to play his violin. He wasn't there. Then, she made her way to the F4 club room and peeked in, hoping the others weren't around. But none of them were. Finally, she made her way to the stairwell. It should have been the first place she checked.

Jan Di sighed and leaned heavily against the balcony. She stared out across the lawn but was startled by a familiar voice behind her.

"You're not shouting anymore these days…"

Jan Di spun around to see Ji Hoo leaning against the wall with folded arms. He wore a long tan coat, checkered shirt, and bow tie.

"Sunbae?!" she instinctively smiled and felt relief when he smiled back and approached her. He seemed to be in a decent mood. Ji Hoo joined her at the balcony and leaned forward against it. He glanced over at her. Jan Di tightened , afraid to ask what she was so curious about.

"How…have you been, Sunbae?" she asked instead.

Ji Hoo pursed his lips before answering. "I've been well."

Jan Di nodded and glanced downward.

"I suppose you're wondering what I'm doing back here," he cast a sidelong glance her way.

Jan Di looked at him. She opened to speak but then closed it. Garnering her courage, she finally replied, "Well, yes, actually… Did…something happen?"

Ji Hoo gazed out over the lawn, and Jan Di looked over once more, cautiously.

"Well, I thought a lot about things on my flight to Paris," he said, "I went there, but only for closure. Seo Hyun and I had a good talk, and we ended things amicably."

Jan Di tightened and stared down at her feet. "But I thought…," she began but stopped herself, "…I'm really sorry, Sunbae…," she said, not knowing what else to say, "...Are you…OK?" she asked delicately, casting him another tentative glance.

"I'm fine. Are you worried about me, Geum Jan Di?" the corners of his mouth twitched into a slight smile.

"Well, I…," Jan Di stammered. It was odd to Jan Di. He seemed so at peace, happy, even… Ji Hoo revealed his brilliant smile, leaving Jan Di perplexed.

"Don't worry. It just wasn't meant to be, Geum Jan Di. And I realized that…I was in love with the idea of Seo Hyun. Oh, she still means a great deal to me, and I am thankful for her, but I realized that there is someone new who has captured my heart…" Ji Hoo turned to Jan Di, grinning.

"Oh," Jan Di still wore a confused expression. She felt a twinge of jealousy and wondered who it was that he liked now.

"Are you going to ask me who she is?" Ji Hoo continued, as if reading her mind. Jan Di stared down at her shoes. "Well, it's not really any of my business, Sunbae…but I hope that it…works out for you…" She was doing her best to remain expressionless, but he could see right through it.

Ji Hoo flashed his pearly white smile. She was rather clueless, but adorable to him, nonetheless. Suddenly, he reached out and pinched her cheek. "You haven't changed a bit, Geum Jan Di… I've missed you," he gave a small chuckle. Then, he simply turned and walked away.

Jan Di stood rooted to the spot, as she watched him walk away. She placed a hand to her now flushed cheek. He missed me? She felt her heart flutter.


Earlier that morning…

Jun Pyo, Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin sat in the F4 clubhouse, chatting and drinking tea. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin watched Jun Pyo, who had been brooding all morning.

"Just lounging about, I see," a voice from behind them came. F3 turned in unison.

"Ji Hoo-yah!" Yi Jeong and Woo Bin exclaimed, as Jun Pyo looked on curiously.

"I'm back," Ji Hoo announced, with a smile. F3 gathered around him, patting him on the back and asking about what had happened and why he was back so soon. Ji Hoo vaguely replied that he simply wanted to come back.

F4 hung out in their club room for a while before making their way down the main hall of the school. As they walked, Jun Pyo noticed that Ji Hoo was glancing around a bit more than usual. Ji Hoo had always been an observant person, but it was usually more casual, something no one would even notice he was doing. But today, he seemed to be actively searching for someone... It was odd to see him appearing to care so much about his surroundings.

"Who are you looking for?" Jun Pyo asked.

"No one," Ji Hoo immediately replied. And they continued to walk together, amidst the usual sea of adoring fans.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin walked ahead. Ji Hoo stopped Jun Pyo and asked to speak with him in private.


Once they were alone, Ji Hoo turned to Jun Pyo. "I need to ask you something, Jun Pyo," he began, rather tentatively.

Jun Pyo looked at him with curiosity, "What is it?"

Ji Hoo took a deep breath and exhaled. "I wanted to ask you…if you would mind if I asked out Geum Jan Di…"

"What?" Jun Pyo had certainly not expected that to come out of his mouth. Jun Pyo paused, "…Why would you ask me for permission? It's your love life…," he tightened his mouth and looked away.

Ji Hoo studied him. He seemed a bit…perturbed.

"Well, I wanted to ask you because…I have the feeling that you like her…"

Jun Pyo scoffed.

"Perhaps I'm wrong?"

Jun Pyo was silent for a moment. He'd actually been considering asking Jan Di to go to Namsan Tower with him on Saturday.

"Jun Pyo…?"

Jun Pyo exhaled. "Well, it depends…"

"What?"

"Are you asking her out because you really like her, or is this just a rebound thing from Seo Hyun?" Jun Pyo's gaze was serious. He knew that Ji Hoo was not one to mess around with girls like Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, but he needed to ensure that Jan Di would not be hurt.

Ji Hoo met his eyes. "I really like her, Jun Pyo…," he said, in an equally serious tone, "In fact…she's the main reason I returned from Paris." Jun Pyo stared at Ji Hoo in disbelief.

"But, I won't go out with her if it's going to bother you or cause problems between us," Ji Hoo added.

Jun Pyo thought for a moment and then turned back to Ji Hoo, who seemed to be waiting expectantly for his response. "…You should ask her out then. She's not so bad… I approve of her," Jun Pyo replied.

"Are you sure, Jun Pyo?"

"Aish, yes! So stop harping about it!" Jun Pyo barked in exasperation. Jun Pyo cracked a smile. Ji Hoo smiled in return and reached out to clasp Jun Pyo's hand. "Thanks, chingu."

Ji Hoo paused and rested his hands upon his knees, as they sat together, "So, do you think she'll go out with me?" Ji Hoo asked.

Jun Pyo scoffed, recalling Jan Di's drunken confession, "Probably," he replied sarcastically.


Jan Di was distracted the rest of the day, wondering who it was that Ji Hoo liked and trying to make sense of the whole thing. She replayed the conversation over and over in her head. It seemed strange that he would move on so quickly from the amazing Seo Hyun…

She stumbled to her locker, put in her combination, and opened it. Inside, there was a note. For a moment, she wondered if she had somehow angered Jun Pyo… It wasn't a red card, though, but rather a plain piece of loose-leaf. She opened the neatly folded sheet of paper. It was from Ji Hoo, asking her to meet him at the stairwell after school at 3PM sharp. She glanced at her watch. Darn, already late! She shoved her books into her bag, slammed the locker shut and locked it. She ran off toward the stairwell, the entire time wracking her brain about what he could possibly want. She arrived, slightly out of breath.

"So, here you are," Ji Hoo chastised, with a grin.

She nodded, "I'm sorry I'm late, Sunbae," she replied, still breathing heavily.

Ji Hoo approached her slowly. "Are you alright?"

She gave a quick, fervent nod. "What is it, Sunbae? Why did you ask me to meet you?"

Ji Hoo took a deep breath and decided not to beat around the bush, "Well, I was wondering if you would like to go on a date with me on Saturday."

"E-eh?!"

Ji Hoo revealed his flawless smile. "Is that a yes or a no?" he asked with a chuckle.


Jan Di awoke Saturday morning, a disheveled mess. She squinted and opened her eyes halfway. She let out a yawn and glanced at the clock. She was prepared to go back to sleep, but then she remembered something.

"I have a date?!" she exclaimed, aloud. Panicked, she began smoothing out her wild hair and leaped out of bed.

After getting ready, Jan Di crept toward the front door of her home, wearing a skirt and coat over her sweater. She glanced around for any sign of her intrusive family. She gave a sly smile as she approached the door, thinking she was free and clear. Suddenly, she heard the door to the bedroom open, followed by snickering. Jan Di rolled her eyes and turned to see her family standing there, staring at her and grinning.

"I'm…just…going out for some exercise," she weakly lied, putting on an awkward smile.

"Dressed like that?" her dad teased.

"You're going on a date with Ji Hoo hyung-nim, right?" Kang San interjected, with a giggle.

How did they find out…? And since when does Kang San speak of Ji Hoo with such familiarity?

Jan Di scrunched up her face and sighed.

"Isn't that skirt too long? It should be more alluring…," Kang San suggested. Jan Di gaped at him.

Her father joined in with more helpful suggestions, saying she should her lips, and her mother started spritzing perfume all over her. Jan Di sputtered when she tasted some and waved her hands, demanding that she stop.

"I'm leaving now," Jan Di announced, glaring at them. They were still grinning like mad. Jan Di turned to leave. She scowled when she heard her family discussing what all Ji Hoo owned and making plans for her and Ji Hoo's future already.

"And she'd be the granddaughter-in-law of the former president…," her mother mumbled in awe. The three of them started shouting and cheering.

Honestly, this is just our first date! It's way too early to be celebrating…

Jan Di tightened and walked out. She was crazy about Ji Hoo, but her family's antics were almost enough to make her not want to go. Yea, thanks for killing the mood…


Jan Di met up with Ji Hoo at the stables. He'd wanted to take her riding. He'd offered to pick her up, but she was attempting to keep the whole thing quiet and spare him from meeting her family so soon. She was determined to put that off as long as possible.

They walked through the stable and Ji Hoo introduced her to his horse that Seo Hyun had given him as a Christmas gift. Jan Di gaped. "Wow, when I was little I went on a hunger strike for three days in order to get a puppy…"

Ji Hoo grinned. "How did it end?"

"I got the sense beaten back into me," she replied matter-of-factly.

"How about a horse instead of a puppy?" Ji Hoo suggested. Jan Di stared at him.


Ji Hoo lifted Jan Di onto the horse and got on behind her. Giving her the reins, Ji Hoo instructed Jan Di on how to guide the horse. Jan Di felt her cheeks heat up when he lightly rested his hands on her waist while they rode.

Their date continued, and Jan Di was shocked to find that she was not as nervous as she thought she would be. They walked along side-by-side, smiling and getting to know one another better. Ji Hoo suggested they ride the cable car at Namsan Ropeway. Wrapping his arm around her shoulders, he led her to it. Ji Hoo offered to buy Jan Di a drink at the vending machine, and Jan Di agreed and insisted he have some too, informing him that it was the best coffee ever.

After their ride, Ji Hoo offered her a helmet and took her on his motorcycle. Flushed, Jan Di hesitantly put her hands on his waist to hold on. They arrived at a large Hanok style building. Jan Di glanced all around. "Where are we?"

"My house," Ji Hoo simply replied, as he led her into the expansive and immaculate home.


Ji Hoo gave Jan Di a tour and ushered her to the living room. He brought out snacks while she looked around. She noticed his violin case. On it was inscribed his and Seo Hyun's initials. A large photo of Seo Hyun also hung on his wall. Jan Di wondered if Ji Hoo still had feelings for Seo Hyun. He probably did. But why was he on a date with her if so?

Ji Hoo brought tea and snacks, and they sat together on the couch, quietly sipping their tea. They sat together in silence for a time, until Jan Di finally asked about Seo Hyun again. She wasn't sure why, but she was very curious. Ji Hoo informed Jan Di that because of her, he'd been finally able to let go of Seo Hyun. Jan Di stared at him for a moment, unsure of how to feel about that, and he gave her a meaningful look.

"Where is everyone?" Jan Di changed the subject to ease the tension.

"They come around when I'm not here. It's uncomfortable for me when others are around. But the odd thing is…," he turned to look at Jan Di, "I don't feel uncomfortable around you…"

She stared at him again.

"I can't explain it, but there's something warm about you, and I feel inexplicably at ease…," he inched closer to her.

Jan Di chuckled awkwardly, suddenly growing extremely nervous under his intense gaze. She glanced down and quickly popped a crunchy snack into . She chewed slowly, avoiding eye contact with him.

"Geum Jan Di...," he suddenly said her name, and she turned to look at him. Ever so slowly, he began to lean in. Jan Di shrunk down, feeling her heart beat wildly like galloping horses. She practically held her breath in incredible anticipation, as his lips came closer and closer to hers. What do I do?!

She didn't know what was happening right now, for she had shut her eyes tight and froze. She did her best to remain calm, despite her heart threatening to beat right through her chest. This would be her very first kiss, after all!

And then, she felt his warm, soft lips upon hers… It was a simple kiss, but a perfect one. Somehow, Ji Hoo always knew exactly how to put her at ease, even now, with a kiss. But, how was it that he was able to simultaneously exhilarate her? It seemed contradictory. She remained still and simply enjoyed the gentle kiss. When she opened her eyes again, he had pulled back and wore a sweet smile. Her cheeks turned hot pink and she looked away, unable to fight back a grin.


"I heard Ji Hoo Sunbae went on a date with that…that…Geum Jan Di!" Sunny spat the words as if they were venom. She, Miranda, and Ginger were conferring about it that Monday morning.

"Oh, what should we do? We can't allow this!" Sunny lamented, dragging out her voice like a whiny two year old.

"You're right, Sunny! She's sullying the good name of F4!" Miranda shouted in frustration.

"Ji Hoo Sunbae is probably just bored...," Sunny mused. "He's probably never seen a commoner before, so he was just curious… Surely he'll lose interest…"

"We can't wait for that. We need to end this farce immediately!" Ginger stepped in. "We'll break them up…"

"Yes, good idea!" Miranda replied and pumped her fist, "But how?"

"It shouldn't be too difficult…I just need to think…," Ginger replied. "I'll figure something out. We'll make sure Ji Hoo Sunbae comes to his senses! He'll thank us for it later," she assured.


Jan Di attended school Monday morning with a wide smile upon her face. She had not been able to wipe the smile since her date with Ji hoo. She was sure that she looked incredibly stupid, but she didn't care.

Jan Di had heard people talk about love; she'd seen it in the movies, but to experience it herself was something else entirely. Some said love was like a drug. Others compared it to a burning flame. For Jan Di, it was more like food. Jan Di scoffed at herself for comparing it to food, but she loved food. She couldn't get enough of her favorite foods, and she couldn't get enough of Yoon Ji Hoo…


Still flying high on emotion, Jan Di turned the corner and heard whispering, and not very subtle whispering at that. Miranda, Sunny, and Ginger were surrounded by a large group of female classmates. Ginger noticed Jan Di lurking around the corner and began to speak louder, ensuring that she heard every…single…word.

"So, Ji Hoo Sunbae went out with Geum Jan Di? Are you serious?!" a girl asked, incredulous.

Jan Di kept out of sight and listened in.

"Yes, unfortunately," Ginger commented, "But, it won't last."

Jan Di flinched.

"Wow, Ji Hoo Sunbae really took a huge step down from Min Seo Hyun…," the girl said, shaking her head.

"Yeah, she's not even pretty, and she has no money...," Miranda added.

"What is he like slumming it, or something?" one of the random members of the pack commented.

"Yeah, dating a commoner like her… What is Sunbae thinking?" another girl clacked her tongue as if chastising him. Miranda shot her a warning glance.

"Well, Ji Hoo Sunbae has always had different tastes…," Sunny put a finger to her lips, commenting on the enigma that was Yoon Ji Hoo. He was far too complex for her to understand, but she was no less fascinated.

"Don't say it like that! And not so loud…," Miranda, who was particularly fond of F4's Golden Boy, hissed.

"Maybe she's smart... Maybe Sunbae has a thing for smart girls…?" one of the uniformed girls suggested dubiously.

Ginger scoffed, "You're new here, so I'll let that slide this time… No, she's not smart at all! Average…maybe…maybe not even that."

"Well then, what does Ji Hoo Sunbae see in her?!"

They all looked between each other and shrugged in unison, as if it was one of life's great unsolved mysteries.

"Maybe Sunbae is just lonely after breaking up with Min Seo Hyun…," a girl in the group suggested with a slight pout, "Poor Sunbae…"

"I'll keep him company…," another, who was known for getting around with the guys, interjected suggestively. Miranda pointed a finger in warning.

"Sunbae is so amazing… He's handsome, he's talented, has the status… She's just going to hold him back! "

This struck Jan Di like a slap to the face.

"She's not good enough for him! We have to do something about this!" another shouted, and they all got riled up.


Jan Di clenched , tightened her fist, and prepared to confront them all. She didn't really care what they said about her anymore, but she needed to defend Ji Hoo's honor. How dare they drag his good name through the mud because of her!

She paused to consider their words, and she suddenly felt a deep sadness... She was especially affected by the part about holding him back… Were they right? Would she somehow hold him back? Inexplicably, hot tears began forming at the corners of her eyes. She blinked them back as best she could. Unable to stand hearing another word, she rushed off in the other direction.

A/N: Thoughts? Thanks for reading, and hope you enjoyed! Drop me a comment if you feel so inclined. They are always much appreciated. :)