six; ♫♩

Downpour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

•♫♩•
CHAPTER SIX

 

Patiently, Wonwoo waits for the drummer after school like he promised. He sits on the windowsill, looking at the silhouette of himself on the floor where the sun shines.

 

He had already changed in the bathroom while waiting for Mingyu — Wearing light blue jeans and a neon blue sweater with the words ‘BLUFF’ in all capitals. To keep himself occupied, he brings a book to read or swings his feet up and down to let time pass.

 

Minutes pass and Wonwoo hears the familiar laugh of a friend. Suddenly, the laughing turns into singing the chorus of ‘Press your number’ by Taemin.

 

It was definitely Soonyoung.

 

The singing male walks past Wonwoo, giving himself a few seconds to realise the older sitting on the windowsill.

 

“Wonwoo? Hey bro!” Soonyoung’s voice turns lively and bubbly.

 

“Oh, hey Soonyoung…” Wonwoo puts his book on his lap, looking up at Soonyoung and showing a slim smile.

 

Then, Soonyoung tilts his head and brings out his bottom lip. “Whatcha' doing here? Don’t you normally shop on a Thursday?”

 

Wonwoo nods, “Yeah, but-“ Suddenly, he stops to realise something, “Wait how do you know?”

 

“Jihoon!”

 

“Ah alright… Makes sense…” It doesn’t makes sense — So, Wonwoo starts piecing things together, “Wait, why would Jihoon tell stuff like this to you-“

 

“Anyway!” Soonyoung says loudly, shutting Wonwoo up, “What’s up dude? You don’t normally stay until this time.”

 

“I’m waiting for Mingyu… Again.” Wonwoo chuckles at the last part.

 

“Mingyu?” The older’s mouth turns into an ‘O’ shape, “Right, he has a detention… Why are you waiting for him?”

 

Behind his back, Soonyoung crosses his fingers and his eyes start glittering.

 

“ARE YOU FRIENDS WITH HIM NOW?” Again, he’s still determined to get those two SHINee albums Mingyu promised.

 

Wonwoo throws his head back and scoffs. “No… You know that the two of us aren’t put well together. We’ll never be friends.” Bluntly, Wonwoo states. “I’m only waiting for him because we’re going to his house for practice today.”

 

“Aw, that bro. Oh, you’re going to his house? Tell his mom I said hi!”

 

“I’m not sure if I can do that since I’m not acquainted with her well… This is the first time meeting her…” Wonwoo awkwardly smiles, scratching his neck.

 

“You shouldn’t worry about anything! She’s really nice.” An idea gets in Soonyoung’s mind and he starts to smirk playfully. “Wait, you’re meeting the parents already? Wow, I didn’t know you and Mingyu were that serious-“

 

Wonwoo hits Soonyoung with his book and the younger thins his eyes. “Stop being immature Soonyoung.” But Soonyoung continues to laugh, ignoring WonWoo. “Hm, did you have band practice?” Soonyoung nods at the question, “Where are the rest of the members?”

 

“They’re coming soon. I just ran here because there are no teachers to tell us off for breaking drinking fountain.”

 

“Alright… HOLD ON YOU BROKE A DRINKING-“

 

“Ooh, is this your violin?!?!” Excitingly, Soonyoung asks, picking up the case besides Wonwoo. The younger nods and Soonyoung starts to squeal. “IT LOOKS SO COOL!” He exclaims, “Can I see it?”

 

“Be my guest… Just be careful with it.”

 

Soonyoung carefully opens the case, picking up the violin and gasping at the sight. Although he was a lead guitarist, and a lead guitarist is forever loyal to their guitar, there was no denying that the violin looked so heavenly.

 

“IT’S SO BEAUTIFUL!” He said, looking as if he was going to cry. His fingers felt the shiny, dark wood of the violin and plucked on one of the strings, making a quiet sound. He started to giggle without stopping. “Can you play something right now?”

 

Wonwoo’s eyes expand and he instantly starts shaking his hands, “No! Ah, no…” He laughs nervously, “It’s awkward if I play in front of people…”

 

“But there’s no one here! It’s just me and the empty hallway!”

 

“Still…” Wonwoo pouts, taking the violin from Soonyoung’s hands and running his fingers down the neck, “I don’t like showing off to other people… I’ll be mistaken as a showoff.”

 

“I won’t think of you as one bro-“

 

“And I know that. But, I can only play when it’s for a valid reason or special event…”

 

Soonyoung nods, disappointed that Wonwoo can’t play in front of him, but also understands what he means.

 

“Don’t worry, I get you.” Soonyoung nods, “I’ll just have to wait for the fair! I can’t wait!”

 

“Same here!” The duo continue talking and talking for minutes (Mainly about SHINee, thanks to Soonyoung) until a male taps Soonyoung’s shoulder as he walks by the two.

 

He doesn’t even stop to wait for him, but Wonwoo takes a quick look at him. What was first noticeable was his black hair — Like Mingyu’s, but definitely neater and stylish than his — And his emerald green eye contacts which made his eyes and hair compliment each other. His height looked about the same as Wonwoo’s and his face was well-structured.

 

“Let’s go — ‘Cheol’s trying to score a date with that Jeonghan guy. Again.” The stranger said, rolling his eyes as if he was done with people’s . He was kind of like Mingyu — But more attractive (Says Wonwoo, since everyone else is more attractive than Mingyu).

 

“Okie dokie!” Soonyoung clicked his fingers and looked at Wonwoo, “I’ll see you later Wonwoo! Don’t argue with Mingyu, okay? Bye!” And the male runs towards that mysterious stranger saying, “WAIT UP! YOU WALK SO FAST MAN!”

 

The stranger stops and shrugs, waiting for Soonyoung and then asking quietly, “Who’s he? He knows ‘Gyu?”

 

“Yeah, he’s Wonwoo — The violin prodigy!” Soonyoung’s eyes turn into crescents and the stranger lets out a quiet ‘Eh’.

 

“Oh… Wonwoo.” Then the stranger looks back to take a look at the male sitting on the windowsill, making eye contact before he and Soonyoung exit out of the doors.

 

‘Huh…’ Wonwoo thought, scratching his head once the two left, ‘I’ve never seen him before… I wonder who he is…’

 

Not long after, Mingyu ruffles Wonwoo’s hair out of nowhere and Wonwoo freaks out quietly, quickly jumping off the windowsill and breathing loudly.

 

“Yah! Don’t just come up to me like that!” Wonwoo lightly nudges Mingyu in the stomach, but forgives Mingyu by patting him on the head like he always does.

 

“Wow, I didn’t think you’d actually wait-“

 

“HEY WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! I’M NOT LIKE YOU!” Wonwoo scrunches his face and Mingyu resists the urge to pitch the older’s cheeks, but he proceeds to do so anyway. “Hey!” Muffled, and in a bit of pain, Wonwoo says, “What’s this for-“

 

“Shut up. Shall we then?” Mingyu lets go of Wonwoo’s cheek, the latter rubbing the now pale red piece of skin on his face. The older nods and they get going to Mingyu’s house.

 

—♩—♪—♫—♬ —

 

“Have you practiced?” Wonwoo asks, adjusting his glasses while he takes in the birds’ chirping melodically.

 

Mingyu scoffs. “No… You gave the stupid sheet yesterday.”

 

“Ugh… Typical-“

 

“Man, you’re so shallow — I have, don’t stress princess.” Mingyu then pokes Wonwoo’s cheek before he continues to cross the road.

 

“Good.”

 

“What about yourself? How are you going to practice without your violin?”

 

“Why else do you think I'm holding a case that looks like, I dunno, a violin?” Wonwoo looks over to Mingyu with a very sarcastic look and Mingyu gets a bit pissed looking at Wonwoo acting like that to him.

 

“I just asked you nicely, you don't have to be such a about it.”

 

“Well I’m sorry I hurt your feelings sweetheart.” Wonwoo says mockingly.

 

“Hm, whatever… Still, you never know. One time, someone brought in a guitar case and we thought he was going to play the guitar. Yet inside the case was one of those plastic recorders you could get in those kid magazines.”

 

“Soonyoung told me about that. Jeonghan, right?” Wonwoo comments and Mingyu nods. Suddenly, Mingyu changes the topic.

 

“Say... Are you starting to think that people are now going to question... Whatever we have?”

 

Mingyu didn’t really know why he just thought of it now, but he just started thinking.

 

“What do you mean ‘whatever we have’?” Wonwoo strangely looks at Mingyu, surprised at the sudden question. “I still hate you; You still hate me, everyone knows that.”

 

“I guess you’re right…” His voice quietens. Mingyu recalls himself back in the homeroom, sitting in the corner nearest to the door — He manages to hear Wonwoo and Soonyoung’s conversation, but the only phrase he could hear before he was told to move seats by the teacher was, ‘You know that the two of us aren’t put well together. We’ll never be friends.’

 

And Mingyu didn’t know why, but his stomach started to feel weird — Not weird, but as if something stabbed him.

 

Getting back to reality, Mingyu wakes up and sees his house only a few minutes away. “We’re almost here now.”

 

“Ah, good…” Wonwoo nods and purses his lips, tightening his grip on the violin case handle.

 

—♩—♪—♫—♬ —

 

They manage to enter the house and Mingyu’s mother, who was in the kitchen like always suddenly says, “Mingyu, is that you?”

 

Mingyu turns around and moves Wonwoo to the side to lock the door as he takes off his shoes at the same time, answering, “Yeah mom! I’ll be in the studio in the backyard!”

 

“Okay! But take a shower first and don’t play your drums too loud, it’s late!”

 

“I know, I know — I won’t forget this time!”

 

“That’s my boy,” They hear his Mother giggle, “I’ll call you for dinner!”

 

“Yes Ma’am.” And Mingyu nudges Wonwoo, pointing to the living room and whispering, “Just go through there and walk through the glass doors, the studio is just outside there, got it?” Wonwoo nods like a puppy, “I’ll be right back.”

 

Wonwoo waves his hand and carries his violin to where Mingyu told him where to go. He sees the studio right outside and enters the said studio.

 

The male struggles to find the switch to turn on the lights. Fortunately, he does find the switch and boy he is surprised.

 

It wasn’t what he thought it would be like. A professional-looking room, with complicated equipment and an expensive-looking computer setup with lots of wires connecting to speakers and basses, guitars, keyboards and more obviously, the drums.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter