twenty three; ♬ ♬♩♩♩

Downpour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

• ♬ ♬♩♩♩•
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

 

(ANOTHER LONG- RIDE CHAPTER HELLO-)

 

Soonyoung hums and bobs his head up and down as his headphones hang loosely in his ear. Yeah, sure the male is going to get in serious trouble for using his phone — But it’s not like he’ll care anyway. He was too tired from the New Year’s celebration and struggling to face the fact that school started five days after the new year. The male proceeds taking the pins from his mouth and stick them on the wall, with a piece of paper hanging from it.

 

He tilts his head to take a better look, but shrugs and leaves it like that — In its crooked state — Moving to the next part of the school, which was a few meters down the hallway. No one else was in the hallway, Soonyoung checked for sure, so he started to quietly sing the song blasting through his headphones.

 

“Playing that song again?” Suddenly, a voice says right next to him and the male shrieks, curling up into a ball as he falls to the floor. “What the -“ Mingyu shakes his head, “Soon’ what are you doing?”

 

Quickly, Soonyoung stands up in front of Mingyu, protecting what was behind him. “Oh, Mingyu! It’s nothing…”

 

However when the older breaks eye contact with Mingyu, and stiffly itches his nose, it’s definitely something. After all, Mingyu was a bad liar, and a bad liar does the same habits if someone lies.

 

“Soon’, move.” 

 

Mingyu commands, his stern face piercing Soonyoung. Like always, Soonyoung doesn’t seem to budge and Mingyu takes action by shoving Soonyoung to the side and seeing what he’s hiding.

 

A sigh escapes the younger’s lips. He looks back over to Soonyoung, who was slowly backing away from Mingyu.

 

Ripping the paper from the pin tack, Mingyu holds up the piece of paper and his face doesn’t look pleased at all. At first, the taller felt bad seeing Soonyoung’s face turn to gloom so quickly, but Mingyu had to get the older’s mind straight. “Are you kidding me Soonyoung? A flyer for Al1?”

 

“Mingyu listen to me-“

 

“Soon’, we can’t do anything.” Mingyu scoffs and smiles sadly at the same time, he put the flyer down and breathes out an annoyed huff. “Al1 is in the past, let it sink in already.”

 

Although Mingyu felt the same way as Soonyoung, he remembers that things aren’t meant to be and have to end one day. And as Kim Mingyu would say: Harsh.

 

“Yes but-“

 

“Don’t dare argue back with me.” Mingyu says in a cold and forced tone.

 

“You’re sounding like Wonwoo.”

 

“I’m not surprised. Anyway, you’re my best friend Soon’, I’m just doing you a favour.” Mingyu’s sad smile turns into a frown. “It’s for the best…”

 

Before Soonyoung could try to reason with the taller, he sees Junhui running up to the duo and knows he’s digging a deeper hole for himself. If only Junhui wouldn’t say-

 

“Hey, I’ve done my half Soonyoung,”

 

. Wen Junhui you-

 

“Do you want me to put a couple more up?”

 

They’re both in deep trouble.

 

Junhui realises the tall male stood right in front of Soonyoung and slowly looks away, clenching his teeth due to the situation. “Oh hey ‘Gyu…”

 

“You’re in this too?!” Mingyu exclaims, angry and in doubt that all of this is happening. His jaw drops and he his teeth. “Seriously guys… You know it’s not the same without Seungcheol Hyung.”

 

“I know, but…”

 

“Then what’s the point then? Besides, if this carries on, the same thing will happen a few years ago, and without Seungcheol Hyung, we’re risking our friendship that way. I don’t want that to happen — Do you want that to happen?”

 

All Junhui and Soonyoung could do is look at the youngest dumbfound and speechless. They both know he’s never talked or acted like this, speaking his mind to be exact.

 

Junhui opens his mouth to suggest something to the two, glancing up and down the hallway. “Let’s… Move this to the practice rooms, okay? If the teachers see us they’ll think we’re up to something. Again.”

 

Like that, they swiftly move to the familiar practice room where all of their memories were made, as bandmates and as friends (Although Mingyu and Junhui still don’t consider themselves as ‘Friends’ — More like ‘Associates’ Instead).

 

The memories still seem fresh, but they linger a fragrance of bittersweetness. They haven’t been in this room for ages.

 

“Ah, …” Junhui chuckles, aware that Soonyoung and Mingyu are feeling the same thing. “Has to all come back at the wrong time, huh?”

 

“Seungcheol Hyung has his life to focus on, we have ours. Jun, this is what I’m saying: Let it go.” Mingyu says — Wow Mingyu is on a role with speaking his thoughts… It’s worrying — “Anyway, let’s just talk about Al1 so we can get out of this place soon.”

 

By natural instinct, the three of them position themselves in a familiar way. A very familiar way.

 

Mingyu would be sat on the drum stool, right behind the drums while twirling something with his fingers. Junhui walked all the way the light switch next to the door, leaning his head and back on the wall — Normally looking at himself in the mirror or scolding Soonyoung for standing in front of the mirror. Soonyoung would stand in the centre of the room, even though at most times he sits on the floor with his legs crossed and wires tangles on his legs.

 

Their eyes glance to another, the room suddenly went silent. They soon laugh in unison at the familiarity, however the faded into an empty silence.

 

“See what I said? It’s all fun and games… But it isn’t the same without Seungcheol missing.” Mingyu sighs, causing everyone else to sigh too — Minygu had a point.

 

“But wouldn’t it make him proud if Al1 continued strong and together?”

 

“I’m not saying it again. Accept it Soon’.”

 

“It’s worth the memories ‘Gyu.” Junhui snaps back, shooting a displeased stare. “It’s our last high school year, and it’ll depend if we stay here for college or not. And right now, I’m considering to move back to China.”

 

Soonyoung turns to Junhui, sadness tinting his eyes. “Wait, you’re going back to China…?” His voice falters.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, I love being here, but getting homesick is more frequent than you think. Plus, I think my Uncle doesn’t enjoy it when I come home late and he’s been waiting ages to eat with me…” Junhui looks over to Mingyu instantly. “Don’t laugh.”

 

“I… I wasn’t going to. Wow Jun…” Then Mingyu’s thoughts take him away, wondering what he still wants to do after his high school days, his choices seem limited — More likely, he’s thinking of what Wonwoo is going to do, he’s never asked him that question yet. ‘Maybe later.’

 

“Excuse me ‘Gyu?!” Junhui turns back to Mingyu, an offensive look forming on his face. Mingyu widens his eyes.

 

“, did I say that out loud? Sorry. I got off track and… Remembered to do something later.”

 

Pursing his lips, Junhui held back a sigh while he crossed his arms. “Okay… Apology accepted.”

 

Junhui looks over to Soonyoung, who’s looking over at Mingyu. His face writes ‘Defeated’ and ‘Lost hope’ all over. He knows how much effort Soonyoung put into it, but Mingyu had logic to ruin everything — Not that it’s his fault.

 

Observing Mingyu for a while, Soonyoung looks down and tries to hold back the voice that wanted to yell at Mingyu so badly, but he doesn’t want to lose his best friend, he wouldn’t dare lose him.

 

“So… Do you want us to put them down?”

 

The youngest doesn’t reply nor move, only his eyes scan each of them and their faces. Junhui doesn’t look bothered, but knowing Junhui, he probably is. Soonyoung’s no better, it clenches his heart seeing his best friend in that state. And if he missed it, he would be okay — Yet looking at Jihoon’s face outside the practice room tells him everything — Jihoon must’ve heard everything.

 

Mingyu sighs and once more, Junhui and Soonyoung are aware it isn’t a good sign. Soonyoung gets up from the floor and Junhui doesn’t bother to look at Mingyu, his eyes are only fixed on the door. Once Soonyoung gets to the door, he opens his mouth, but his words come out like a mumble.

 

“You don’t need to say anything. We’ll-“

 

“When’s the audition date?”

 

—♩—♪—♫—♬ —

 

Days pass and halfway into the day, Wonwoo taps the shorter’s shoulder, catching his attention as he was talking.

 

“Hey Jihoon, I’ll catch up to you in class… I left my textbooks in class…”

 

While walking back to his class, whistling and politely waving to the students passing by, out of nowhere a hand pulls him to the side and he ends up in the janitor’s closet.

 

At first, he shrieks — Which is unlikely for Wonwoo — And gets pinned to the door, gazing into the eyes of no other than Kim Mingyu. Of course. In his opinion, it’s like they’re having an intense staring competition. Wonwoo’s face soon drops.

 

“It would’ve been more romantic and steamy if it wasn’t in a janitor’s closet out of all places.”

 

“Aish, you’re so hard to please!” Mingyu puts his palm on his forehead, losing his ‘Cool boyfriend’ Image.

 

“All for the best, darling.”

 

Freezing instantly, Mingyu rapidly forms a blush splattered on his face oh-so beautifully because there goes Wonwoo with that nickname. “Yeah, I need to talk to you.”

 

“Can’t this wait? I have to get my textbooks-“

 

Mingyu clings on Wonwoo’s arm and wails. “But we barely see each other because we’re not in the same classes except for homeroom and biology!”

 

“Ah, I forgot you sit in the back of science class — I was wondering who was sending me all those love notes.” But as Mingyu winked, Wonwoo spoke again. “Then who’s sending me them in geography…?”

 

Wonwoo swears he’s never seen Mingyu’s face change so quickly. The older even noticed the male grind his teeth and clench his fist, unable to keep still.

 

“I’m kidding! I just like teasing you…” Wonwoo gasps, hugging Mingyu and showering him with kisses (Gross, I know) and hugging his arms around his neck, almost enough that he looked like he was going to suffocate him. “Don’t be mad…” He sings and pecks under Mingyu’s eye, moving his hand to the door handle. “Come on though… I have to get my books.”

 

“Wonu’! I’m not going to get another chance to talk to you like this again!”

 

“‘Gyu, we walk home together everyday-“

 

“Forget that,” Mingyu groans like an angsty teenager, “Just listen to me! Alright princess?”

 

And this led to another staring contest between the two, started by Jeon Wonwoo with his casual stare, and Mingyu getting up all near his face. Moreover, Mingyu obviously won and fist bumps the air.

 

“Yes!” The younger suddenly shuts up after Wonwoo sends him a deathly look, with the addition of crossing his arm and ruffling a hand through his hair. Wonwoo’s eyes are on the ground but they slowly find their way to Mingyu’s.

 

“… What do you want?”

 

Mingyu’s eyes become livelier and smacks his hands together. “Okay! So I just want to ask…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Can you rain check your shopping on Thursday to stay back after class?” The younger quickly speaks, but Wonwoo isn’t stupid, so he obviously knows what he just said.

 

“It depends. I mean, I’d stop anything for you, but can I ask what it’s for…?”

 

“An audition… For Al1.”

 

Wonwoo’s eyes widen and a small gasp escape his lips. “Al1 is getting back together?! You aren’t kidding, right ‘Gyu?” Something in his eyes seem to sparkle, and Mingyu felt his heart melt a tiny bit (Correction: A lot).

 

“Soon’ and Jun, the bastards, went behind my back and decided to find a new member for Al1. They even hung up flyers around the school — How could you not miss it? You could say I was pissed, but I gave in and decided to help them.”

 

“Aw, my darling is doing something good…” Wonwoo smiles. “I’m so proud of you.”

 

“Therefore I’m asking if you could help.”

 

“I’ll do anything for you ‘Gyu-“

 

“But under one condition.”

 

Hold up. ‘One condition’? This doesn’t sound good, which explains Wonwoo’s slightly concerned face. Before Wonwoo could ask, Mingyu cuts in.

 

“We have to act like we hate each other.”

 

More confused than he was before, Wonwoo tilts his head. “What do you mean by that? I don’t understand Mingyu. Are you trying to imply something?” Wonwoo darts question at him and Mingyu thinks he’s getting the wrong idea.

 

“What?” The taller stutters. “No!” And he hugs Wonwoo, burying his face in the crook of the older’s neck. “Don’t think of it like that! Think of it: If we want a good member for Al1, they should perform in front of the musical ‘Rivals-slash-opposites’, and if you’re there, it’ll add intimidation from the both of us!”

 

Although Wonwoo stays mum, Mingyu crosses his fingers and shuts his eyes tight, hoping Wonwoo will say something — He even tightened his grip on the older.

 

“… Putting it that way…” The older breaks the hug and moves his hands to cup Mingyu’s cheek, smiling. “I’ll still do it.”

 

Mingyu jumps up and down and hugs Wonwoo again, repeating a lot of ‘Thank you’s and plants sloppy kisses all over Wonwoo’s face.

 

“Thursday afternoon?”

 

“Yep! In the practice room. I’ll wait outside your class to pick you up.”

 

“I can walk there myself ‘Gyu.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter