twenty two;  ♬ ♬♩♩

Downpour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

• ♬ ♬♩♩•
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

 

It’s been too long. Two weeks and a day is too long — It feels like forever.

 

Yes, Wonwoo counted the days, but it wasn’t his fault that his boyfriend didn’t decide to show up for two weeks and a day once the new school year started, adding that Mingyu didn’t tell him anything beforehand.

 

Ergo, the tall male had to third-wheel Junhui and Minghao, or even worse, Jihoon and Soonyoung. He now understands how Mingyu felt when he was third-wheeling his friends.

 

Wonwoo was sat in literature class working on a worksheet. Thankfully, Mingyu’s trusty best friend Soonyoung was in his literature class, and better yet, sat right next to him. “Hey, Soonyoung.” WonWoo nudges the older on the arm, letting go of his pen.

 

“‘Sup Wonwoo?” Soonyoung, who was twirling a pen in his hands, tilts his head.

 

“Is… Is Mingyu okay?” A firm line appears on Wonwoo’s lips, looking unsure and worried.

 

Soonyoung opens his mouth, then closes it to think, and opens it again, but repeats into opening and closing it for a few seconds. Suddenly, he says a loud ‘Ah!’ and replies, “I dunno, lemme ask him.”

 

The younger’s face dropped. Of course out of all people he would have to ask Soonyoung, but it was Soonyoung. Nevertheless, he sighed and fixed his hair, then went back to writing. He takes note of what Soonyoung said and at that moment he furrowed his eyebrows. “‘Ask him’? How are you going to ask him-“

 

Just as he turns to look at Soonyoung, Wonwoo sees Soonyoung literally take out his phone and casually go on it as if it was no big deal.

 

“SOONYOUNG WE’RE IN CLASS ARE YOU KIDDING ME-“ Wonwoo panics with a harsh whisper, struggling to sntach Soonyoung’s phone from his hands.

 

The latter throws a disgusted look and looks over to the teacher who was busy marking test papers, sticking his tongue out at the teacher and waving his phone around for the teacher to notice. The teacher didn’t notice. Besides, the class was noisy, so no one would notice Soonyoung sneakily take a phone-call in class.

 

Nervously, Wonwoo watches the older go to his contacts, and mumbles “Soonyoung… Mingyu might not pick up-“

 

“Yo Mingyu! You picked up bro!” Soonyoung interrupts with his cheery voice, glancing to Wonwoo and giving a wink. The latter pursed his lips and stared at him as if he was planning a murder plan.

 

“I’m seriously not going to question you-“

 

“Are you doing okay?” Again, Soonyoung interrupts and holds up his finger in front of Wonwoo, politely gesturing for him to shut up. Before Wonwoo comments again, the older gasps dramatically. “YOU GOT INTO A FIGHT?!” Soonyoung put on his best actor voice, “MINGYU, YOU BAD BOY.”

 

Looking over to Wonwoo, Wonwoo looked Pissed. Soonyoung smirks at the male’s look, knowing that Wonwoo doesn’t like — In fact, hates — It when Mingyu gets into fights, which means blood, which means possible death.

 

Although Pissed, WonWoo hears Mingyu’s voice through the phone saying, “What the Hell Soon’, I just said I’m sick man-“ He manages to hear a small gasp, “Wait, is Wonu’ with you?” His voice turns slightly annoyed, aware that if Soonyoung wanted to annoy Mingyu, it would be pulling out the ‘Wonwoo’ card.

 

“SHH, OBVIOUSLY NOT-“

 

WonWoo whacks Soonyoung on the back of his head as his other hand reaches out to grab the phone. He puts it against his ear and turns his head slightly, making sure he isn’t caught by the teacher. Soon, he comes to his senses and realises there’s no way he could be caught with the state of the classroom.

 

“‘Gyu where are you, I miss you.” Bluntly, Wonwoo comments, impatiently waiting for what Mingyu has to say. A surprised hum is heard from the other side of the line and Wonwoo starts to rapidly tap his foot while waiting.

 

“I’m at home… I’ve been feeling sick lately.”

 

“You’re sick? That isn’t good.” WonWoo frowns. “Please eat all of your meals, and get plenty of rest… And also help you Mom too, because she’s a busy woman and you should be thankful to her. But… Get better soon.”

 

“Don’t worry about me, alright?” WonWoo feels Mingyu’s weak smile after coughing faintly. He continues to speak in his (Oddly attractive) Voice, “Just focus on your studies, I’ll be better in no time.”

 

“Promise that Mingyu.”

 

“But Hyung~”

 

“‘Hyung’?!” Wonwoo suddenly blushes, “‘Gyu are you sure you’re okay?!”

 

A laugh comes from the other side of the phone, which made Wonwoo chuckle.

 

“I promise. Oh, and don’t visit me while I’m like this, I don’t want you to catch my fever…”

 

Instantly, Wonwoo feels an idea pop in his head and answers Mingyu with, “Huh? I didn’t hear you ‘Gyu~ The connection… It’s really bad.” With the addition of static noises coming from his mouth.

 

“WONWOO NO, DON’T BE LIKE THIS.” Mingyu begs, and Wonwoo feels the younger’s face drop and fall to his knees. The older laughs continuously, laughing so much that he has to catch his breath so that he can laugh even more. “I love your laugh so much…”

 

All of sudden, WonWoo stops laughing and blushes, his heart skipping. “I…” He soon pauses, trying to figure out what to say after being left tongue-tied, “Take care, please.”

 

The ‘Please’ sounded so innocent to the younger’s ears and created a smile on his face. “I will.” The younger kisses the speaker, which Wonwoo felt a chill travel up his spine, then whispers “Bye bye.” As he hands up, not waiting for Wonwoo’s response.

 

Slowly, and dumbstruck, Wonwoo gave back the phone to Soonyoung without saying anything. He looked like he was staring into outer space.

 

“Wow I wonder what he said to you, you’re bright red-“

 

Wonwoo’s cheeks and ears flushed a deeper red as he snapped back to Soonyoung with a sheepishly cute voice. “STOP THINKING IN THE GUTTER KWON SOONYOUNG!”

 

“Who said I was?” Soonyoung winks.

 

—♩—♪—♫—♬ —

 

Mingyu’s Mother walked towards the door while she removes her apron and hangs it on the peg. She opens the door and sees Wonwoo stood outside, with his usual late-reaction to the door opening. Mrs. Kim smiles, in disbelief that her son is actually friends with Jeon Wonwoo.

 

“Wonwoo!” Happily, she exclaims, but Wonwoo quickly places a finger on his lips, indicating silence. “Oh… Okay.” A sweet smile appears on her face as she gestures to zip her lips. She leads Wonwoo inside and makes him sit on the couch as she sits next to him. “How are you doing Wonwoo? Is studying going well?”

 

“It’s going well Mrs. Kim, you know, getting everything I’m expected to get.”

 

“That’s my boy.” Her hand ruffles Wonwoo’s hair. Suddenly, her eyes widen and she rushes to the kitchen. She did it so fast that Wonwoo couldn’t process what just happened. When she hurries back, she has a box in her hands and places it on her lap then looks at the male.

 

“Mrs. Kim…? What’s that?” WonWoo pokes the box and quickly pulls back his finger in case the box moves or something along the lines of that.

 

“This,” She moves the box to his lap, “Is for you.”

 

“Me?”

 

“Isn’t that what I said? Yes, it’s for you Wonwoo!” She laughs and ruffles his hair for the second time, and then his soft hair. “Open it!”

 

Not trying to rip the wrapping paper, Wonwoo carefully opens the box and his eyes widen in surprise. “Wait, what…?” He mumbles, then once he realises, he exclaims, “Wait, what?!” He holds up a pair of trainers he’s had his eyes on for a while — But how did Mingyu’s Mother know what he wanted? “H-How did you-“

 

“I didn’t know what to get you when it was your birthday, and Mingyu told me to buy you these.” Looking at Wonwoo’s reaction (Which was late, like usual), she giggles. “I can probably guess you’re shocked, aren’t you?” 

 

Wonwoo nods, his eyes staring at the shoes.

 

“And Mingyu also wanted you to have this.” She picks up a vase with a blue rose from behind her, handing it to Wonwoo. “I’m not sure why he wants you to have this, but he’s been taking care of it a lot. He’s even admitted that the present is stupid, because it isn’t anything grand or big.”

 

Wonwoo attempts to hide his blushing face and takes the vase with the rose in it. “No matter what he says… I’m happy with it.” He smiles.

 

“Right, I completely forgot to ask why you’re here Wonwoo. What brings you here?”

 

“How’s Mingyu?” His voice hints a bit of concern and curiosity.

 

“Ah…” Mingyu’s Mother sighs while her eyes shift to the side before she looks back at Wonwoo. “It’s just a fever he has… Don’t worry, Mingyu has them on rare occasions, but he’ll be okay.”

 

“Oh… Can I go… See him?”

 

“Of course! Help yourself!” Her face turns smug. “Ah, so you came here to see how he is, huh?” She playfully nudges his arm, teasing him a bit. The teasing worked, and Wonwoo’s ears turn red and shyly nods. “But if you want to see him, you have to give me a hug.”

 

Mrs. Kim widens her arms and Wonwoo smiles, moving closer to the small lady to hug her, because she gives the best hugs.

 

—♩—♪—♫—♬ —

 

Once Wonwoo arrives to Mingyu’s room, he knocks on the door, waiting for a response. Instead, he’s greeted with silence, which makes Wonwoo feel worried for no reason. If he’s correct, it’s been three weeks and five days since he saw Mingyu (Excluding the phone-call in literature class).

 

“Three weeks and five days without kisses…” Wonwoo mumbles under his breath, pouting his bottom lip slightly. He walks into the room, and sees Mingyu in the middle of tissues and medicine scattered around him on the floor and on the tables.

 

Just seeing the area made Wonwoo more anxious. The older makes his way to Mingyu wrapped in his bed sheets, hiding half of his face, the only part of skin showing which was from the tip of his nose and above.

 

Wonwoo stares at the younger, moving the younger’s bangs away from his eyes. ‘He looks to pale… I miss his tan skin…’ He puts his hand on Mingyu’s forehead. It felt piping hot. ‘Gee… He definitely has a high fever…’ And it came to his attention that Mingyu was shivering under the covers.

 

Despite looking peaceful when sleeping, he physically looked miserable — And Wonwoo felt so disheartened looking at the boy.

 

He decides, ‘I should make him something to feel better…’ And walks out of the bedroom to head downstairs. The male sees Mingyu’s Mother watching a re-reun of ‘My Love From The Star’ and he makes his way to tap her shoulder.

 

“Mrs. Kim, can I… Make something for ‘Gyu?”

 

The lady pauses the TV and finishes chewing a brownie, looking up at Wonwoo. “Sure!” She gulps. “Help yourself! You know how to work the kitchen, right?”

 

Wonwoo nods. “Kind of… I’ll definitely learn!” But before Wonwoo walks away, Mingyu’s Mother tugs on his sleeve and Wonwoo looks back at her. He hums in confusion while he tilts his head.

 

“And call me ‘Mom’, we’re close, aren’t we?” She winks and laughs again. Wonwoo replies with a nervous laugh and nods.

 

‘, , , , she knows?! Did I look too obvious? Aish, Mingyu probably used that blabbing mouth of his… That cute bastard-’ He stops his thoughts and calms himself, then heads to the kitchen.

 

Wonwoo spent his time in the kitchen, trying to make everything that he’s making for Mingyu perfect. At times, Mrs. Kim would frequently check Wonwoo if he was okay, and would help, but Wonwoo still did most of the work.

 

But what Mrs. Kim didn’t know, was that Wonwoo almost burnt the kitchen. Almost.

 

What he made was a simple soup, but it took a while (Due to the lack of experience Wonwoo has with making something new). At least it looked decent.

 

He arrives back in Mingyu’s room, who was still sleeping, and Wonwoo chuckles. “‘Gyu, you sleep so much…” Wonwoo puts the bowl of soup aside, placing a small towel over it to prevent the heat from escaping.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter