Star-Crossed Lovers Pt III

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

The following evening…

Ji Hoo and Jan Di joined Yi Jeong and Ga Eul for dinner at the So mansion. The couples greeted each other politely at the door, and they all sat down to an exquisite dinner.

Though the Yoons and Sos enjoyed getting together when they could, there was a clear purpose for the visit tonight. And none of the adults in the room knew quite where to begin… So, they simply sat there in discomfort for a few minutes, as the clock ticked away. And the large dining room of the So mansion was silent—deathly silent…

Ga Eul encouraged everyone to eat, for none of them had even touched the delicious dinner before them—not even Jan Di, who was usually quick to devour hers… After Ga Eul's prompt, they all began eating and making polite conversation between bites.

But the tension was heady in the air…

Yi Jeong was on edge because Eun-Jeong was not speaking to him, and Jan Di was still angry with Yi Jeong for yelling at Seok-Young. But they were both doing their best to hold their equally sharp tongues.

Their calmer spouses knew this to be the case, and Ga Eul and Ji Hoo attempted to clear the air by making friendly conversation.

It went well for a while until Jan Di inevitably brought up Seok-Young. And Yi Jeong snorted.

"Do you have something to say Yi Jeong Sunbae?" Jan Di challenged, eyeing Yi Jeong as a mother lioness protecting her cub from a predator.

Yi Jeong opened his mouth to speak but then looked to Ga Eul; she was shooting him a cautionary glance.

"No, I don't. How is Seok-Young by the way?" And Yi Jeong took a bite of his food, chewing it slowly, thoroughly.

"He's fine," Jan Di replied shortly, "And Eun-Jeong?" she shoved a large mouthful in.

"She's fine…," he muttered, in a slightly dismal tone.

Jan Di nodded. "I'm glad to hear it."

And then there was a silence…

Knowing it needed to be addressed, Ga Eul decided to bring up the subject at hand, chiming in with a jovial raise to her voice, "So, how about those kids of ours, huh?"

Yi Jeong and Jan Di were silent for a moment. And Ga Eul looked to Ji Hoo for help.

Ji Ho gave a small laugh. "Yes, Ga Eul-ah, who would have thought that those two would fall for each other, huh?" Ga Eul and Ji Hoo shared a good-natured chuckle.

But Jan Di and Yi Jeong did not seem to find the humor in it...

"Mm," Jan Di mumbled, as she took another bite and hurriedly chewed it into nothingness. She glanced tentatively to Yi Jeong; he had also continued eating but was doing so more slowly and thoroughly, and he appeared hyper-focused upon his plate.

Ji Hoo and Ga Eul exchanged a glance and then began making a bit more small talk about their kids.

When they seemed to be getting nowhere fast, Ji Hoo decided to be more direct. "So, how are you feeling about the idea of our kids going on a date, Yi Jeong and Ga Eul?" Ji Hoo asked.

Yi Jeong glanced up at Ji Hoo but remained silent. He went back to eating without giving an answer.

So, Ga Eul spoke up. "I think it's a lovely idea, Ji Hoo Sunbae…after Eun-Jeong serves her punishment, of course," she stated—for Yi Jeong's benefit. "What do you think, Yobo?" and Ga Eul turned toward Yi Jeong.

Yi Jeong felt his temperature begin to rise, so he took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. "Well, I might be OK with it…so long as Seok-Young can control himself…," he finally muttered, looking down again.

"Yobo…," Ga Eul muttered.

Ji Hoo's brow furrowed. He looked to Yi Jeong and then to Ga Eul—who seemed shocked by her husband's statement—before turning his eyes on Jan Di.

"What's that supposed to mean…," Jan Di muttered—through gritted teeth—from across the table.

Beside her, Ji Hoo watched Jan Di clutch onto the white linen napkin in her lap, strangling it between her fingers. "Jan Di-yah…," Ji Hoo laid a hand over her other hand—which rested upon the table—in attempt at soothing her.

Jan Di's breathing had escalated slightly, despite Ji Hoo's—usually—calming touch and she locked eyes with Yi Jeong in a stare-down. Jan Di and Yi Jeong's eyes burned into each other, as if they were engaged in some kind of silent battle of the wills.

"It means simply that your son needs to exercise better self-control if I'm to agree to him taking out my daughter. Apparently he couldn't seem to restrain himself from kissing Eun-Jeong…," was Yi Jeong's staunch reply.

"Yobo!" Ga Eul chastised.

And Jan Di bolted forcibly upright, breaking Ji Hoo's hold on her hand. "Watch what you say about my son, So Yi Jeong!"

Ji Hoo suddenly had a flashback to 20 years earlier and wondered if he would be seeing a repeat performance of Geum Jan Di's famous spin-kick—but this time he feared it would be Yi Jeong, not Joon Pyo, who would be receiving a swift kick to the face…

Ji Hoo clasped onto Jan Di's hand again, giving it a squeeze and urging her to sit.

But Jan Di ignored Ji Hoo and fixed her gaze upon Yi Jeong. "Self-control?!" her eye twitched slightly. "Oh, you wanna talk about self-control, huh?! Look who's talking, Mr. Former Casanova!" she shouted out.

"Jan Di-yah…," Ga Eul and Ji Hoo uttered in unison.

Jan Di glanced at Ji Hoo and then took a deep, calming breath. She released a heavy sigh before taking her seat again and lowering her head slightly.

"Mianhae, Ga Eul-ah, Ji Hoo-yah…, but did you hear what he said about Seok-Y?!" she directed at Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo sighed and gave a silent nod.

"Jan Di, why don't you just be quiet for once!" Yi Jeong raised his voice.

Jan Di gaped at him.

"Ya, Yi Jeong! Don't speak like that to my wife," Ji Hoo interjected.

And the three bickered back and forth for several minutes. Ga Eul remained quiet, but when she heard Byeong-Ho's cries from down the hall, that did her in.

"OK, that's enough!" Ga Eul stood, clenching her fists at her sides. "You're acting like a bunch of children! And now you've woken up my child!"

Yi Jeong, Jan Di, and Ji Hoo all stared at her, as scolded schoolchildren, and they began to offer weak apologies. But Ga Eul silenced them.

Ga Eul planted her hands upon her hips and opened to speak, and the room was completely quiet… They all knew she meant business. Ga Eul was a wonderful teacher—all her students raved about how nice she was—but she could be firm with her pupils when she needed to be.

And her three oldest students listened intently—none daring to interrupt—as she lectured them.

"Jan Di, now you know that Yi Jeong thinks the world of Seok-Young and didn't mean that. He's just in a bad mood because he and Eun-Jeong aren't getting along right now. Believe me, Eun-Jeong is punishing her appa plenty for you for the way he treated Seok-Young. You didn't need to resort to such a low blow…"

Jan Di looked down in shame. "I'm sorry, Ga Eul-ah…," she mumbled.

Ga Eul continued and turned to Ji Hoo next. "Ji Hoo, you know that Yi Jeong also thinks the world of Jan Di. He merely lost his temper, just as she did…"

Ji Hoo nodded.

"You know, you two are actually quite similar in that respect. You can both be temperamental and stubborn…," Ga Eul shot stern looks to her husband and best friend. Yi Jeong's lips parted in protest, but he stopped himself from speaking further.

"And Yobo…"

Yi Jeong met his wife's eyes, and she sighed.

"…You shouldn't have been so rude to Jan Di. She was just defending her child, as any good mother would do. And speaking of which, I need to go and tend mine. Now, I want you to all make up! And when I get back from tending to Byeong-Ho, I expect you all to be playing nicely!"

And with that, Ga Eul rushed off to the nursery.

The trio sat there in stunned silence for another moment before Ji Hoo broke it. He released a soft sigh and spoke, "You know, your lovely and sensible wife is right, Yi Jeong… Surely we can resolve this like adults, can't we?" And Ji Hoo took hold of Jan Di's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, "Right, my love?"

Jan Di hung her head and nodded. "Yes."

She looked to Yi Jeong. "I'm sorry, Yi Jeong Sunbae," she said, giving him a quick bow.

Yi Jeong exhaled. "I'm sorry, too, Jan Di-yah."

When Ga Eul returned they had managed to work out the majority of their differences and had discussed the subject at some length. And they all agreed that Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young could date, but there would be some stipulations...

For one, Yi Jeong insisted that Eun-Jeong be punished for her defiance. So, he decided that she would be grounded until Valentine's Day, but he agreed to let her attend the Valentine's Day dance and concert with Seok-Young.


That Night…

Yi Jeong and Ga Eul prepared for bed. As they settled in, Ga Eul noticed that Yi Jeong still seemed preoccupied—he was sitting up in bed and staring off into space, in fact. Ga Eul slipped in beside her husband, placing a hand upon his arm. "Are you alright, Yobo?"

"Hm? Oh, yes," he replied.

"What are you thinking about?" Ga Eul asked, but she could guess.

Yi Jeong sighed. "I was just thinking about Eun-Jeong…"

As Yi Jeong became reminiscent, Ga Eul noticed that he was fighting back tears. And she assured him. "I know this is difficult, Yobo, to watch Eun-Jeong growing up. It is for me, too," and she caressed his arm up and down. "But she'll always be your little girl… And you two can still have a great relationship. It's just going to change a little..."

"I know," was his pensive reply. He put on a smile, but it quickly faded.

"Is something else bothering you?"

"Well, it's just…a little thing…," Yi Jeong groaned, and he revealed to Ga Eul his conversation with Seok-Young at the hospital, as well as about Woo Bin teaching Seok-Young the Five Step Kill…

Ga Eul could not help herself, and she laughed out loud.

Yi Jeong's lips parted, and he tightened them. "I absolutely do not see what is so funny, Ga Eul-yang. Perhaps you could explain yourself…"

"I'm sorry, Yobo, but…well, you have to admit that it is kind of ironic…"

Yi Jeong did not appreciate the irony, and he growled in frustration. Ga Eul leaned over to peck him on the cheek, and he softened ever so slightly.

Ga Eul cast her eyes downward, as she pondered the scenario. And she started to giggle again. Yi Jeong shot her a harsh glance, and she stifled her laughter.

"What it is now, Ga Eul-yang?" he demanded.

Ga Eul composed herself. "Well, it's just that…it's kind of funny, isn't it, to think of Seok-Young ever trying that move? I just can't picture it…"

I can't stop picturing it…, he thought to himself.

"I wouldn't worry, Jagiya," Ga Eul spoke when Yi Jeong grew silent. "I don't think Seok-Young has it in him to do something like that. He's too much of a gentleman. He is Ji Hoo's son, after all…"

"Yes, well Ji Hoo is not as innocent as you—and everyone else—seems to think, my dear… And I get the feeling that Seok-Young is not, either."

Ga Eul pursed her lips. "Well, I'm sure everything will be fine. Try not to worry about it and get some sleep, Jagiya," and she leaned in for a goodnight kiss.

Yi Jeong kissed his wife and then heaved a sigh. "Alright, I'll try… But, I know one thing for certain—he's not taking her on Ji Hoo's motorcycle!"


Meanwhile…

Jan Di and Ji Hoo were also settling down for the night. Ji Hoo was already in bed, but Jan Di was still in the bathroom getting ready.

"Well, it got off to a rocky start, but I'd say it turned out alright tonight," Ji Hoo called into the bathroom adjacent their bedroom, to where Jan Di was getting ready for bed.

"What?" Jan Di called back.

"I said…," Ji Hoo raised his voice slightly and repeated his previous statement.

"Oh, yes!" she replied.

"I'm glad things worked out the way they did," he shouted in to her. "...I must admit that I was a bit worried for a while there that you and Yi Jeong were going to go at it. I thought it might be a repeat of the incident with Joon Pyo…"

"Yes, it's such a relief that Yi Jeong Sunbae is OK with it now!" she called back—apparently having not heard the last part of what he said.

Ji Hoo sat upright in their bed at a perfect right angle, hands patiently clasped in his lap. "Are you almost done, my love?" he asked, growing impatient.

"Yes; almost!"

"What are you doing in there?" he asked.

She stepped out of the bathroom and pointed to her face, which was completely obscured by a white, creamy substance.

"You know, I never used to have to bother with facial cream, but now it seems like I can't get by without it," she sighed and returned to the bathroom. "Oh well… I guess I'm not 19 anymore, so I require some extra maintenance," she said, as she dabbed at the cream with a moistened washcloth.

"Well, I don't think you need it. You still look 19 to me!" Ji Hoo called in to her.

Jan Di poked her head out of the bathroom. "Well, that was very sweet, Ji Hoo-yah…but a complete lie. You must want something..."

"As a matter of fact, I do…," Ji Hoo raised a brow. He grinned at her, as he pulled back the blanket and patted the spot next to him.

Jan Di smirked at him. "Well, you'll just have to wait," she teased, before stepping back through the doorway and returning to the mirror.

Ji Hoo flopped back against the pillows. "But I'm lonely out here!" he moped.

Jan Di shook her head to herself. "Why don't you read your book?" she suggested.

"I'm bored of it…," he practically whined.

Jan Di rolled her eyes; she stuck her head out again, leaning sideways and gripping the frame. "Honestly, Ji Hoo-yah, why are you being such a big baby right now?"

Ji Hoo gaped at her. "I'm not," he nearly pouted. "I just miss my wife, that's all…"

The corners of Jan Di's mouth twitched. "I'm right here," she retorted.

"You know what I mean," he smirked.

Jan Di grinned at him. "I miss you, too…," she replied in a sensual voice. And then she went to him. She gave him a quick peck on the lips before rushing off again. "I'll only be a few more minutes!"

Ji Hoo sighed and picked up his book from the bedside table; he began thumbing through it.


Ji Hoo and Jan Di had been very busy as of late—well, they always were, really—and since their date they hadn't had much quality time alone together, except during after-hours at the Clinic, while they cleaned and completed paperwork.

Due to their hectic schedules, it was often straight to sleep for them at night, too. And when their schedules differed, often times one of them would be asleep when the other got home.

On the evening of their recent date, Ji Hoo had whisked Jan Di away on his motorcycle, and they had spontaneously ended up in Gyeonggi-do. They strolled, hand-in-hand, through the Lighting Festival at the Garden of the Morning Calm, enjoying the beautiful multi-colored illuminations adorning the trees and which were formed into various shapes and figures—teddy bears, hearts, deer, and horse-drawn pumpkin carriages. Then, they ended up at a hotel before returning home in the early morning hours.

The date night had been magical—and exactly what both of them had needed—but it had ended so quickly... And they were eager for their next. Ji Hoo and Jan Di would both be working on Valentine's Day, but they were planning a small getaway the next time they had time off…


While Jan Di finished her nightly regime, they talked—or rather shouted—back and forth between the two rooms...

"So, I hear you're going to be introducing Seok-Young and Mee-Yon to those young pop stars who are in town and staying with the Goos," Jan Di called out to Ji Hoo.

"Well, actually Alex and Joon Pyo are having us all over for dinner, so they'll probably meet them there."

"I see, and you arranged seats at the symphony for them, as well?"

"Yes."

"And Mee-Yon is going along that night, too?"

"Yes, Mee-Yon wanted to go. She's really eager to meet them…"

"I'm sure she is…," Jan Di replied with a playful raise to her voice. Sometimes Jan Di could simply not resist teasing Ji Hoo a bit, so she added, "Probably the guy, Aidan, in particular…"

"What do you mean?"

Jan Di peeked out from the bathroom again. "Well, you know, because…," she gestured and waited for him to pick up on what she was getting at.

Ji Hoo merely shook his head.

"Well, you know that Mee-Yon thinks he's hot, right?" and she gave Ji Hoo a sly smirk.

"What?!" Ji Hoo gripped the comforter.

"Yes, all the young girls seem to think he's hot. Oh, and he has his driver's license in the US and a fancy car and everything… Trust me, I've heard all about him…and he sounds really dreamy…," Jan Di joked, clasping her hands together.

Ji Hoo gave a sharp exhale. "Great…," he muttered sarcastically, as he folded his arms tight across his chest.

"Ji Hoo-yah, is this really a surprise to you? Haven't you seen that poster she has of him in her room?"

"I just thought—well hoped—that she simply liked his music…"

"Oh, well she does like his music, but she also likes him…"

Ji Hoo fell back into the pillows again, releasing a quick burst of air in the process.

"Why are you telling me this, Jan Di-yah?"

"Just making you aware… Don't want you to be blindsided like Yi Jeong Sunbae was."

Ji Hoo sighed. "So, do you think I shouldn't allow them to meet?"

"Of course not; that's ridiculous. I'm not suggesting that at all."

Jan Di returned to the bathroom. When he was silent for a few moments, she called back to him. "I'm sorry to break that to you, my love, but what are you worried about happening?" she glanced out, and Ji Hoo appeared deep in thought. "Do you think he's going to ask Mee-Yon out? …I'm sure he has a girlfriend, or maybe even a few with his popularity…," Jan Di laughed. "He has hundreds of thousands of girls who are in love with him, after all."

"I suppose you're right," Ji Hoo muttered.

"Of course I am. You need to learn to lighten up, Ji Hoo-yah…," she added, before returning briefly to the bathroom to finish up.

Ji Hoo released a sharp exhale.

Jan Di finished getting ready for bed and switched off the light. She stepped out of the bathroom in her robe and took down her hair. Dark waves cascaded down to her shoulders. "I'm ready now," she coyly informed him. But Ji Hoo seemed distracted; he held his chin in his hand.

Jan Di approached the bed and stood over him. "I really am sorry, Ji Hoo-yah… Can I make it up to you?" she asked suggestively.

Ji Hoo sighed. "Well, now you killed the mood," he muttered pitifully.

"Oh, I see," Jan Di nodded. And she slowly slipped off her robe—revealing the black silk nightie underneath—and dropped it to the floor. Ji Hoo looked her up and down—his eyes darkening with desire—and he took a slow, calming breath.

"I thought you might like this—it's new—but if that is the case then I guess I will just go and put on comfier pajamas…," she turned to head to the walk-in closet, but Ji Hoo caught her by the wrist.

"Where do you think you're going?" he murmured in a low, seductive tone, as he gripped her wrist tighter.

And apparently the mood had returned…

"To change," she replied with mock disinterest.

He shook his head and held firm. "You're not going anywhere…," he assured, huskily. And before Jan Di could respond, he'd swept her into bed with him.

Ji Hoo maneuvered Jan Di to where he was hovering over her. Wrapping one arm around her waist and placing the other behind her head, he pulled her in closer and tighter. Then he lowered his lips to hers for a passionate kiss. She slipped her hands around his neck, and he tangled one hand within her ebony strands, while roaming her back and side with the other. And he deepened their kiss.

Ji Hoo's lips and hands wandered over her, and he placed fervent kisses down her neck, sinking in deeper and deeper until Jan Di could not hold back the sighs. He sunk lower and then proceeded to slip aside each thin strap of the nightie to bare her shoulders.

And Jan Di let out a small gasp at the sensation of his lips upon one particularly sensitive area. It had been a little while, after all...

"So…you…do like it?" she managed to get out, mid-gasp.

"Mmm," he asserted, as he continued to rain kisses over her.

"Seok-Young and Mee-Yon…," Jan Di muttered, her breathing agitated.

"…They're asleep, or at least they should be…," Ji Hoo replied, between feverish kisses.


But It wasn't like Jan Di and Ji Hoo were greatly concerned about being interrupted—it was more a habit to consider the children, Jan Di supposed. It wasn't like the old days—when Seok-Young and Mee-Yon were children—when there was a good possibility that the little ones would come knocking after a nightmare or simply slip in unannounced, sometimes jumping right on top of them in the process…


In the midst of it all, Ji Hoo stopped to gaze down upon his lovely wife, with a look of complete adoration.

"What is it?" she asked, still catching her breath.

He smiled in response and d her cheek gently with the back of his hand. "I meant what I said, Jan Di-yah..."

"Hm?"

"I really do find you to be every bit as beautiful as the day I met you…"

"Ji Hoo-yah…" Jan Di moved one hand from its place on his shoulder to cup his cheek. And they stared into one another's eyes.

As Ji Hoo looked upon Jan Di, he knew that not a single drop of his love or desire had diminished over the years for this woman. And no matter how many more years passed, he knew that it never would…

"I love you, Jan Di-yah," he said. "And I always will."

She smiled lovingly up at him.

And he continued. "You'll always be my strong, brave, noisy…," he grinned and Jan Di chuckled, "…beautiful otter…"

And she wrapped her arms snugly around his neck and brought him down for a fierce, yet tender kiss…


The Next Day…

After school, Eun-Jeong had a very important task to complete—one that had been weighing heavily upon her mind—and she had been cleared to go. She arrived on the Yoon's doorstep, and Mee-Yon answered.

They stood before each other in uncomfortable silence for a moment.

"I suppose you're here to see Oppa?" Mee-Yon muttered, with a hint of bitterness to her tone.

"No, I'm here to see you," Eun-Jeong responded directly.

Mee-Yon glanced down at her slippered feet. "Oh." Mee-Yon had, in fact, forgiven Eun-Jeong long ago, but she had been struggling with how to bring up the subject.

Eun-Jeong sighed at Mee-Yon's pride and ability to hold a grudge. Her best friend certainly committed—to everything she did… And though Eun-Jeong had her pride, too, she couldn't take another second of it…

And Eun-Jeong gushed, "Mee-Yon-ah, please don't stay angry with me! I can't stand it when you're mad at me! You're my best friend, and…I love you! Please forgive me!"

Mee-Yon's head shot up to look upon Eun-Jeong's face—her eyes had moistened and her cheeks were already damp.

"Oh, Eun-Jeong-ah…," Mee-Yon whimpered. "No, it's me who should be asking for your forgiveness! I was so stubborn! I was the biggest jerk to you! Mianhae, mianhada! And I…I…love you too!" she exclaimed and launched herself at Eun-Jeong. The two friends collided with each other and embraced, freely pouring out sorrys and I love yous through happy tears…

Seok-Young happened to catch the interaction from the upper level. He leaned over the balcony and smiled down upon the touching scene, feeling completely relieved that the two had finally made up. He had been subtly pushing Mee-Yon toward reconciliation for days, after all. Deciding to give them their privacy, he shoved his hands into his pockets and returned to his room.


A few days later…

With Valentine's Day looming—mere days away—Ga Eul, Eun-Jeong, Yeong-Hui, and Ae-Jeong were gathered in the pristine, alabaster So kitchen with a very important project on their hands—they were making chocolates for their sweethearts.

Mother and daughters all donned matching pink, frilly, floral-lined aprons. When Ae-Jeong struggled with hers, Ga Eul bent to tie the apron into a neat bow at the back for her. "Gomawo, Eomma!" she exclaimed in a bubbly fashion. Then, they all clapped their hands together, gave each other the fighting sign, and began their task.

While Ga Eul prepared the water for boiling the chocolate, the girls began dividing up the molds and decorations upon the marble countertop. The kitchen island was covered with packages of various chocolate pieces, icing, heart and animal molds, containers of sparkling sugar, confetti, nonpareils, crushed candy chips, and candy hearts, as well as cute boxes and packaging for the finished products.

"Now, make sure you all share!" Ga Eul warned when some mild bickering broke out over the coveted tiny candy hearts.

The girls nodded, exclaiming, "Yes, Eomma!" in unison, and they agreed to split them up equally. And then each of the girls was given a job—which was Yeong Hui's idea—for the sake of efficiency, and they formed a small assembly line.

Ga Eul slipped on a pair of panda-faced oven mitts in order to pull the pan of gooey melted chocolate from the stove. And the So girls all breathed in the delicious scent of freshly melted chocolate—a scent like no other.

They all began squeezing the sweet-smelling chocolate into the molds they'd chosen, side-by-side. Once the molds were filled in, they began to customize their creations to their sweeties' particular tastes.

Ga Eul iced hers with a favorite frosting of Yi Jeong's and then began dusting them with tiny candy hearts.

"Beautiful, Eomma!" Ae-Jeong exclaimed. "But what about these?" she suggested, pointing to a shaker of nonpareils.

"Oh, your appa doesn't like those very much, Baby," Ga Eul explained.

"Ahh," Ae-Jeong nodded. "You know Appa so well, Eomma!" and she began pouring rainbow sprinkles atop her colorful masterpiece—that was already covered with various other decorative toppings. Ae-Jeong went a bit overboard, so Ga Eul gave her the less is sometimes more speech. But ultimately, she didn't want to stifle her daughter's creativity, so she let her go.

Ga Eul turned to Eun-Jeong. "Which one, vanilla or chocolate frosting?" she asked, holding them up to the girls in turn.

"Vanilla, definitely," Eun-Jeong replied first, "Seok-Young Oppa prefers—," and she stopped herself, flushing and casting her glance to the floor.

Ga Eul smiled. "It's OK, Baby. No need to feel embarrassed."

"Yes, we all know you're making them for Seok-Young Oppa," Yeong-Hui gave a playful roll of her eyes. It was honestly becoming quite old news to her…

"Yes, we all know!" Ae-Jeong chimed in her high-pitched singsong voice. She was excited to actually know something for a change…

Eun-Jeong gave a nervous chuckle and nodded. She was relieved that everything was OK now and that it was out in the open, but that didn't mean she couldn't still get embarrassed by it.

Yeong-Hui glanced over at her sibling, a sly grin crossing her lips. "Speaking of knowing someone well…, Eun-Jeong-ah seems to know her guy pretty well… She even knows what kind of frosting he likes…," she spoke, while smoothing a layer of frosting across her own chocolates.

"So what if I know my guy well?" Eun-Jeong held her head up high. "And speaking of guys…who are you making your chocolates for, anyway, Yeong-Hui-ah?"

Eun-Jeong asked the question that everyone was wondering about…

Yeong-Hui glanced to the side. "No one in particular," she retorted.

"You had to have someone in mind…," Eun-Jeong raised a brow.

"No, I just thought I'd join in on the festivities. Anyone can eat them," Yeong-Hui replied indifferent.

"Oh really…? So, that means I can have one…," and Eun-Jeong reached for one of Yeong-Hui's finished products, but Yeong-Hui smacked her hand.

"Uh huuuh…," Eun-Jeong eyed her twin suspiciously. Yeong-Hui was now avoiding eye contact with her, and there was the tiniest hint of pink in her cheeks. "Not for anyone in particular, yea right…"

Yeong-Hui scoffed and focused upon her work. And the other three watched a clearly uncomfortable Yeong-Hui fixate—entirely too much—upon placing a tiny pinch of sprinkles.

Ae-Jeong looked curiously between Yeong-Hui, Eun-Jeong, and her eomma, and then she picked up on what was going on.

"Ooo, does Yeong-Hui Unnie like a boy, too?" Ae-Jeong pointed at her older sister and giggled. "Who is he; who is he, Unnie?!"

Yeong-Hui was silent. She ignored her younger sister and continued with her task, beginning a new chocolate piece.

"Yes, who is he, Yeong-Hui? Come on, tell us! We're dying to know!" Eun-Jeong leaned toward her.

"It's no one," Yeong-Hui replied, aloof.

But they clearly did not believe her.

"Come on, Unnie, tell us, please!" Ae-Jeong clasped her hands together and stared up at Yeong-Hui, her eyes sparkling.

"I said it's no one!" Yeong-Hui raised her voice slightly. And Ae-Jeong's lip began to quiver.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Ae-Jeong-Y…," Yeong-Hui immediately embraced her little sister.

"Eun-Jeong, Ae-Jeong, if your sister does not want to tell then we need to respect that." And Ga Eul went back to frosting her chocolates with an icing spatula.

But Eun-Jeong couldn't give in so easily. Yeong-Hui had pestered her enough about her love life, after all, so she had it coming… Suddenly, a thought popped into her head.

"You know, Yeong-Hui does seem to always clam up a little when this one guy is around…," Eun-Jeong addressed her eomma and Ae-Jeong. Yeong-Hui squinted over and then pretended to ignore them.

Eun-Jeong glanced to Yeong-Hui and then turned back to Ga Eul and Ae-Jeong.

"Ooo, who is he, Unnie?" Ae-Jeong demanded.

Ga Eul gave Eun-Jeong a cautionary look but she continued. And Ga Eul had to admit that she was a bit curious, too.

"Well, he's in our class, and he's very smart. He'll probably end up being top of the class…," Eun-Jeong began, watching Yeong-Hui out of the corner of her eye.

Yeong-Hui glanced over for only a second before going back to her baked goods.

Eun-Jeong placed a finger to her dimpled cheek. "His name is, oh, um, what was it again…Chae-Wong…?"

"Chae-Won," Yeong-Hui corrected. And then she immediately clutched a hand over and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Aha!" Eun-Jeong cried out, clasping her hands together. "I knew it!"

Yeong-Hui sighed. She couldn't believe her twin had tricked her with such an obviously transparent strategy, and then she had just confirmed it. She gave a sharp exhale. "OK, fine, yes I like Lee Chae Won. Let's not make a big deal of it…," and she turned her face away.

Ae-Jeong wore a huge grin upon her face. And Ga Eul smiled, too. "Ah yes, I've seen him around. He seems like a nice boy," Ga Eul replied.

"Why didn't you say something about him?" Eun-Jeong asked.

"Please, after what just happened between you and Appa, Eun-Jeong, you think I'm in a hurry to break that news to Appa? And don't you dare say anything, Ae-Jeong-Y…," Yeong-Hui pointed a warning finger at the little one.

Ae-Jeong stuck out her lip. "I won't! I can keep a secret…," she pouted.

Yea right…, the older siblings thought.

"Don't make the mistake of keeping secrets from Appa, Yeong-Hui-ah, or it'll blow up in your face, like it did with me…"

Yeong-Hui shook her head. "It doesn't matter anyway. I don't even think he likes me," Yeong-Hui tightened her lips and continued icing the last of the chocolates.

"Then why is he always talking to you? And he always has this big smile on his face when he does," Eun-Jeong retorted.

"Well, we're friends, sort of. Besides, I think he likes someone else…," Yeong-Hui glanced down and then mumbled, "Can we just drop it, please?"

Eun-Jeong nodded slowly and ceased her line of questioning. And a hush fell briefly across the room.

"So, what about you, Ae-Jeong-Y? Who are you making yours for?" Yeong-Hui grinned. "Is there a cute boy in your class or something?"

"No!" she snapped her head back. "I'm making them for Appa, of course!"

"You can't make them for Appa. Eomma is already making hers for Appa," Yeong-Hui argued.

"Why can't I make them for Appa, toooo?" she whined.

"You can make them for Appa, too, if you want, Ae-Jeong-Y," Ga Eul interjected. "I'm sure he won't turn down extra chocolates," she said with a smirk.

Ae-Jeong held her head up high and stuck her tongue out at Yeong-Hui. "So there!"

And the girls continued meticulously working on their creations, until Ae-Jeong suggested a break. "Let's take a break!" Ae-Jeong exclaimed.

"But we're almost done, Ae-Jeong-Y," Yeong-Hui argued—she was the type of girl who rarely took breaks, one dedicated to sticking with a task until completion, if at all possible.

Ae-Jeong heaved a sigh. "But I'm sooo tired…," she whined. "It's such hard work… Eomma, please!"

"You're just bored, Ae-Jeong-Y. But you should finish what you started," Yeong-Hui responded.

Ga Eul smiled. She wiped her hands on a dishtowel and then used a wet wipe for Ae-Jeong's, which were completely chocolate-stained. "Yes, I think a short break sounds fine, Ae-Jeong-Y. You can keep working if you'd like, Yeong-Hui." And Ga Eul went to the refrigerator to get drinks for everyone.

Yeong-Hui nodded and began to finish her last chocolate.

Eun-Jeong sighed. "I could use a break, too," she announced, as she stopped her work. She walked a few steps away and pulled out her phone, glancing casually down at it with her back turned to the other two.

"You don't deserve a break," Yeong-Hui retorted. "You're way behind on your chocolates because you were looking at your phone every five minutes."

Eun-Jeong gaped. "Psshh, you're not in charge of me…"

Yeong-Hui shook her head. "Fine, but Oppa won't be happy if he doesn't get his chocolates… He'll think you don't care about him…," she replied with a smirk.

Eun-Jeong stuck out her tongue at Yeong-Hui. "He'll get them!" she sassed, and then she returned to her phone.

Ga Eul had gone for drinks for the girls, and Eun-Jeong was looking at her phone. She wore the biggest smile, as she read and re-read a text from Seok-Young.

Ae-Jeong crept over to try to get a peek, but Eun-Jeong caught her and snatched her phone back.

"Ooo…what does Oppa have to say, Unnie?" Ae-Jeong taunted.

"Nothing…," Eun-Jeong muttered, glancing away. But despite her best efforts, she couldn't banish the smile. She bit her lip in hopes of hiding it.

"I'll bet he said, 'I love you, Eun-Jeong-ah,' mwaa, mwaa, mwaa," and Ae-Jeong began making kissy noises at her older sister.

"Ya! No, he didn't say that!" And Eun-Jeong went back to her phone. She was so distracted that Ae-Jeong was able to sneak up and snatch the phone from her. Ae-Jeong ran off, attempting to read the message while she ran.

"Ya! You wanna die? Give that back!" And Eun-Jeong gave chase to Ae-Jeong.

Yeong-Hui watched for a moment, as the two did laps around the island and her. Yeong-Hui shook her head, but she could not stop the corners of from curving upward.

Eun-Jeong easily caught up to the small So girl and captured her in her arms, attacking her with tickles. Ae-Jeong let out a scream when she was caught, but then she began to giggle. Her cute, childish laughter resonated throughout the kitchen.

Yeong-Hui managed to ignore them long enough to finish her last chocolate. She took a moment to admire her work before leaning back casually on her elbows against the counter. Ga Eul had returned to the island. She allowed Eun-Jeong and Ae-Jeong to be playful with each other for a few more minutes—with a smile and a chuckle—and then she suggested they settle down. After all, Appa was trying to work in his study and Byeong-Ho was sleeping. And not to mention, poor baby Byeong-Ho had been ill with a cold for nearly a week, so Ga Eul was trying to listen on the baby monitor for any coughing.

Out of the blue, Yeong-Hui spoke up. "Soo, Eun-Jeong-ah…I've been wondering something…is Oppa a good kisser?" she asked, with a grin, as she leaned against the counter.

Eun-Jeong's mouth dropped nearly to the floor. "Wh-what?!" and she turned a bright pink—pinker than cotton candy.

"Yeong-Hui…," Ga Eul chastised, but she was fighting back an amused grin.

"Mianhae, Eomma," Yeong-Hui replied, still looking at Eun-Jeong expectantly.

Eun-Jeong turned her back on all of them, her cheeks searing. "It's none of your business…," she snipped. And Yeong-Hui smirked from behind her.

"Ugh, kissing is so gross…," Ae-Jeong commented with a scowl.

Ga Eul burst out in laughter. "In a couple more years you won't think so, Ae-Jeong-y," she replied, once composed again.

"I'm surprised you don't like boys yet, actually, Ae-Jeong-Y…," Yeong-Hui commented. "Are you sure you don't?"

Ae-Jeong made a disgusted face and shook her head vehemently. "Yes—I mean, no!—I mean, I'm sure I don't! I don't like boys at all!"

Mother and sisters laughed.

"Alright, Ae-Jeong-Y. We believe you," Ga Eul said.

"Gomawo, Eomma!"

They went back to work, but when further boredom and fatigue set in, things grew silly…

All of a sudden, Ae-Jeong turned to Eun-Jeong. She got a devious twinkle in her eye, and then she began singing and dancing around, "Unnie and Oppa sittin' in a tree…K-I-S-S…," Ae-Jeong added a couple extra s's—her spelling still needed some work, "…I-N-G…!"

"Ya, stop it!" Eun-Jeong cried out.

But Ae-Jeong continued on.

"Ae-Jeong-Y, stop torturing your sister," Ga Eul interjected. And Ae-Jeong stopped singing immediately.

"Oh, but Eun-Jeong-ah can't kiss Oppa in a tree because Clumsy here would just fall right out of it…," Yeong-Hui continued the onslaught.

Eun-Jeong stared at Yeong-Hui in horror. "That's not funny… You're so mean, Yeong-Hui! Why are you teasing me?"

"Girls…," Ga Eul warned.

"Well, she teased me first, Eomma!" Yeong-Hui retorted. And Ga Eul released a sigh.

"I wasn't mean like you about it, though! I was just curious and excited for you!"

Yeong-Hui looked down guiltily. "Mianhae…"


When they had all finally finished their creations—after a good 3 hours—they looked upon them proudly.

"I hope he likes these…," Eun-Jeong muttered, as she gazed down upon the vanilla frosted heart-shaped chocolates—that she had outlined with smaller pink and red candy hearts. And she made a mental check of anything about them that he might not like or be allergic to—she didn't think there was anything… She hoped that all the hearts weren't too girly or over-the-top.

"He will, Baby," Ga Eul assured upon noticing Eun-Jeong's concerned expression. "And they'll be even tastier because they came from you."

Eun-Jeong flashed her eomma a broad smile to show her thanks for her kind words.

"Yes, Eun-Jeong-ah, he surely will." Yeong-Hui added. And then, the twin smirked and knelt down to whisper something in her little sister's ear. Ae-Jeong giggled and shared a diabolical look with Yeong-Hui.

"I imagine it will go something like this…," Yeong-Hui announced, and the two stood before Ga Eul and Eun-Jeong. They gave a bow from the waist in unison.

Eun-Jeong crossed her arms and eyed them suspiciously…

Ae-Jeong grabbed an empty heart shaped box off the countertop and hid it behind her back. Then, she and Yeong-Hui stood a few feet apart. Yeong-Hui stiffened up and put her hands into the pockets of her apron, imitating Seok-Young. She cleared , and lowered her voice. "Hey, Eun-Jeong-ah…," she imitated a deep male voice.

Eun-Jeong glared over at Yeong-Hui from beneath lowered eyelids. "Psshh, that's not even what he sounds like…," she muttered.

Yeong-Hui ignored the comment.

Ae-Jeong twirled from side to side girlishly, "Hey, Oppa. I'm good. I…uh…made these for you," And she pulled the box from behind her back and presented it coyly.

Yeong-Hui cleared again and spoke in her deepest timbre. "Wow, those look great. Gomawo, Eun-Jeong-ah," she said, in a smooth voice.

Ga Eul wore a little smirk upon her face, and she shook her head at the two wicked little actresses.

Ae-Jeong batted her eyelids and handed over the box. She clasped her hands together and exclaimed, "Of course! Anything for you, Oppa! Happy Valentine's Day!"

Eun-Jeong covered her face with her hands to hide the crimson hue that was rapidly forming upon her cheeks. And she felt herself beginning to tremble lightly from embarrassment.

Ga Eul rested a hand on Eun-Jeong's shoulder and cast a cautionary glance at the other two. But they hadn't finished their little skit yet, and Ga Eul kind of wanted to see how it played out…

Eun-Jeong buried her head in her mother's chest in humiliation, and Ga Eul whispered that she shouldn't let them get to her. Eun-Jeong nodded against Ga Eul's shirt; she pulled back and watched from beside her.

"But how can I thank you for them?" Yeong-Hui continued, in her best baritone voice.

"I don't know, Oppa...," Ae-Jeong shifted bashfully from side to side.

"How about a kiss?" Yeong-Hui suggested, in her mock Seok-Young voice.

Eun-Jeong scowled at the players, and Ga Eul placed a hand over to stifle laughter. Eun-Jeong noticed this out of the corner of her eye and whined in betrayal, "Eommaaa…"

"Mianhae, Baby…," Ga Eul muttered. She felt badly for Eun-Jeong, and she shot another warning glance to Yeong-Hui and Ae-Jeong. "OK girls, very funny… Now I think that's enough. You're upsetting your sister."

"But we're almost done, Eomma!" Yeong-Hui exclaimed. "You have to see the finale!"

Eun-Jeong clenched her jaw and glared, mentally promising to make them pay dearly for this.

For their finale, Yeong-Hui bent down, caught Ae-Jeong around the waist, and dramatically swept the small girl into her arms. And she proceeded to plant a kiss upon Ae-Jeong's cheek.

Then the two clasped hands and took a bow together for their performance.

Ga Eul shook her head. "Well, that was…very…interesting, girls."

"Yes, it might go down something like that, except…," Yeong-Hui smirked. "Except…he'd kiss her on the lips… I took some artistic license with that since my co-star here is my sister."

Eun-Jeong's entire face and body had tightened, and she was beet red. "That was awful…," she snorted. "And I'm going to get you two for that…you better watch your backs…," she spoke in a low, threatening tone and clenched her fists hard at her sides.

"Oh, come on, Eun-Jeong-ah. Don't be such a poor sport. It was all in fun…," Yeong-Hui smirked.

Eun-Jeong put her hands upon her hips and approached Yeong-Hui menacingly. "I didn't think it was fun…," she sneered. "And…by…the way…it won't be anything like that, and…," Eun-Jeong felt herself tearing up. "…and I'm never telling you anything ever again!"

Yeong-Hui placed a hand upon her twin's shoulder and gave her a sheepish grin. "Come on, Eun-Jeong-ah… I'm sorry…"

Eun-Jeong shoved her hand away; she turned from Yeong-Hui and folded her arms tight across her chest.

"Please, Eun-Jeong-ah… Forgive me… Mianhae…" Yeong-Hui sounded sincere, but Eun-Jeong wasn't having it.

Eun-Jeong shook her head and kept her back turned to her twin. She noticed the icing spatula sticking out of the container of frosting, and a devious smirk crossed her lips. She pulled the spatula out—which was now slathered with chocolate frosting—and spun around, holding it up like a weapon.

Yeong-Hui's eyes went slightly wide. "What are you doing?!"

Ga Eul cringed and held up her hand, knowing what was about to happen before it did, but before she could speak up Eun-Jeong had already smeared a layer of frosting onto Yeong-Hui's small, pointed nose.

"Ya!" Yeong-Hui shouted. Eun-Jeong laughed maniacally and took off running. Yeong-Hui grabbed another spatula, dipped it in frosting, and chased after Eun-Jeong. And then Ae-Jeong joined in, and the three chased each other around, laughing and tossing out threats with their chocolatey ammunition.

Ga Eul chuckled. She shook her head and watched for a moment before growing stern. "Alright, stop it right now!" she called out in her serious mother tone. Ga Eul placed her hands upon her hips, and they stopped dead in their tracks.

"You should act your ages," Ga Eul chastised. "And you shouldn't waste food, either. Think of the starving children out there…"

The So girls all knew that feeding the hungry was an important cause to their eomma, and she didn't take waste lightly.

The girls bowed profusely. "Ye, Eomma…," they replied in somber unison. And they hung their heads in shame.

Once the girls settled down, they began boxing up their goodies for delivery. As Eun-Jeong packaged hers, she allowed her mind to wander…

She was relieved that things were much better now… Everyone knew about Seok-Young and her, and her appa had agreed to let them date after she served her grounding sentence. She was thankful, really, for her grounding wasn't even that long, considering… And her appa was even going to allow her to attend the Valentine's Day dance and concert with Seok-Young.

Overall, life was pretty good. She had Seok-Young and she'd made up with Mee-Yon, but there was still one person she needed to make amends with… So, she began to decorate another chocolate…

"What are you writing, Unnie?" Ae-Jeong asked, as she watched Eun-Jeong squeeze icing from a pastry bag, forming lettering. She stood on her tiptoes, trying to see.

"Oh, it's nothing…"


"What's this delicious scent coming from in here?" Yi Jeong interrupted, poking his head in the doorway.

"NO!" all four girls cried out in unison, holding up their hands to protest. And then they all began shooing Yi Jeong from the kitchen.

"Sorry, Yobo, but you have to leave," Ga Eul said.

"Yes, please go, Appa," Yeong-Hui said, with a slight bow of her head.

"Yes, please go, Appa!" Ae-Jeong echoed.

"Wow, I feel so loved…," Yi Jeong moped. And his eyes grew sad as he gazed upon Eun-Jeong. They hadn't spoken much since the incident…

"Hello, Eun-Jeong-ah…," he greeted tentatively.

"Oh, hello, Appa," she spoke, looking down slightly. And she felt her lip begin to tremble. Yi Jeong tightened his mouth and tucked his hands into his pockets. They both remained silent, and the tension was as obvious as a billboard.

Ga Eul, Yeong-Hui, and Ae-Jeong observed the awkward transgression. It was clear that they were both miserable about the state of things between them, but both could also be stubborn. Yi Jeong glanced to Ga Eul, and she offered her husband a thankful smile for taking the first step.

Yeong-Hui gently cleared , in hopes of easing the tension. "Um, mianhae, Appa, but you can't see our creations until they're finished," she explained calmly.

Yi Jeong nodded and turned to leave. "But before you go…," Ga Eul called out, stopping him. He turned back and Ga Eul went to him. She held out a spoon and smiled warmly. "You can have one taste before you go."

He smiled tenderly back at her and took a of the creamy substance from the spoon. "Mmm... How about one more taste…?" he grinned deviously.

"No, that's it," Ga Eul asserted.

"Not the frosting…," Yi Jeong explained with a smirk, before capturing Ga Eul's lips. He wrapped one hand around his wife's waist—still holding the spoon in the other—and kissed her deeply.

Ae-Jeong clutched her hands over her eyes, and Yeong-Hui and Eun-Jeong looked between each other and exchanged a smirk. Yeong-Hui raised a brow before glancing down, so as not to be staring.

But Eun-Jeong watched the romantic moment. She didn't find it a bit sickening or embarrassing—in fact, she found it to be really touching… And she could not help but smile at her parents' ongoing love and devotion for one another…

But naturally, Ae-Jeong had to spoil the moment.

"Ahem, Appa!" Ae-Jeong cleared loudly, causing Yi Jeong to end the prolonged kiss.

And the smallest So stormed over to her father. "That'll be quite enough of that, Appa!" she exclaimed, placing her hands upon her tiny hips. "We have work to do here!"

Ga Eul gave her daughter an amused smile—once her lips were free—while Yi Jeong still held her waist. After a few more seconds, Yi Jeong released Ga Eul and chuckled.

"Mianhae, Baby," and he kneeled before Ae-Jeong. He gave her hair a ruffle and pecked her on her chocolate-stained cheek.

Then, Yi Jeong stood and headed out the door. "Proceed. I'm leaving, anyway. I have a meeting at the museum," he tossed back.

Before leaving, Yi Jeong stopped and shot one last hopeful look at Eun-Jeong. She smiled faintly but then glanced away. Yi Jeong's expression saddened; he turned and exited the kitchen.

Eun-Jeong watched her appa go, and she felt herself beginning to well up. She clenched her quivering jaw. After only the briefest of hesitation, she untied her apron, tossed it down, and snatched something off the counter. And she resolutely made her way out the door.


Yi Jeong headed for the front door; he stopped to put on his coat. As he was pulling it on, he heard 'Appa!' being called out to him. And he turned to see Eun-Jeong rushing toward him.

She stopped just before him—with hands behind her back—and she lowered her head.

"Eun-Jeong-ah…what is it?"

She tentatively raised her head to meet his eyes, revealing her own dark brown saturated ones. Yi Jeong looked down upon her, and his brow furrowed. "What's wrong, Eun-Jeong-ah?" he demanded, worriedly.

Eun-Jeong pulled her hand from behind her back and held it out to him, revealing a chocolate heart resting in the palm. "This is for you, Appa...," she sniffled, fighting back the tears.

Yi Jeong also had to hold back the moisture that was quickly forming behind his eyes when he noticed that Eun-Jeong had written 'World's Best Appa!' on the handmade chocolate treat.

He took it from her, and Eun-Jeong clasped her hands behind her back. Yi Jeong gave her a wide smile. "Gomawo, Eun-Jeong-ah,"

"Please eat, Appa…," she encouraged.

And he took a bite, chewing thoroughly.

Eun-Jeong cocked her head to the side. "Do you like it, Appa?"

"Yes, very much…," he choked out. "…I think it's the best thing I've ever tasted in my life," he gave her an affectionate smile and reached out to ruffle her hair.

Eun-Jeong beamed at him. "Please eat more, Appa!"

He gave his daughter a warm smile and finished off her delicious delicacy. He thanked her again, bid her goodbye, and turned to leave.

All of a sudden, Eun-Jeong was reminded of how much she always used to miss him when he went to work at the museum or on a business trip. And she couldn't stand it for another second—she couldn't let her appa walk out the door without fixing this...

"Appa, wait!" she shouted. And before he could turn around completely, she had thrown her arms around his waist. He felt the force of her small body hit him at full speed, as she crashed into his arms. But it was a very, very pleasant force…

She sunk in deeper and buried her head in his chest, as she clutched onto the cashmere fabric of his coat. "A-ppa…," she blubbered, "Appa… I'm…I'm so, so sorry!"

And a tender smile crossed Yi Jeong's lips, as he held her tighter and d her hair, "Me too, Baby," he whispered. "Me, too…" he spoke even softer.

"Appa, can you ever forgive me for the way I talked to you?"

Yi Jeong brought her back and held her at arm's length. He smiled down at her. "Of course, Baby," he assured. Then, Eun-Jeong cast her eyes forward and noticed that she'd left a smudge of chocolate upon his designer suit.

"Oh no, oh no! I'm so sorry, Appa!" and she began frantically attempting to wipe the stain away with her thumb.

"It's fine, Eun-Jeong-ah. I got it," he spoke lovingly and pulled out his handkerchief. He gave her a pat on the head and turned to go.

"I love you, Appa!" she shouted at his back.

At that, Yi Jeong was no longer able to hold back the tears, and he allowed a few to slip down his dimpled cheeks. He turned resolutely back to Eun-Jeong.

Yi Jeong strode up to his daughter. "I love you, too, Baby," he said, as he pulled her in close and gently kissed her forehead. He smiled at her. "I'll see you tonight."

Eun-Jeong smiled brightly and wished him a good day.


The evening of the Valentine's Day dance arrived at long last; Eun-Jeong had barely been able to contain her excitement all day long. Her insides had been tangled up in knots, and she had been prattling on and on with a nervous energy—to anyone who would listen…

After a humiliating lecture about the rules from her appa—including no kissing—Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young were allowed to go together.

Ji Hoo had also strongly suggested to Seok-Young that he have Eun-Jeong home right on time—or risk Yi Jeong's wrath again…


Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young approached the entrance of the gymnasium together. Eun-Jeong wore a canary yellow short chiffon dress and matching shoes. Her hair was curled and whisked into a loose up-do. And Seok-Young was handsomely decked out in white.

"You look beautiful...," Seok-Young breathed.

Eun-Jeong thanked him, and her cheeks warmed when he placed a sweet kiss upon her hand.

"Oh, did I just break the rules?" he smirked.

Eun-Jeong laughed a bit. "Nah, I don't think that counts as kissing…"

"OK good," and Seok-Young raised a brow. "Perhaps I'll see how far I can push it…"

"Oppa!" Eun-Jeong chastised. She blushed hotly and glanced away. "How could you say that after all the trouble we got in? And by the way, I wouldn't underestimate our parents, Oppa… I'm sure they'd find out somehow if we did break the rules…"

He chuckled. "I know. I was only joking, Eun-Jeong-ah…"

"Oh, right, of course," and she gave him a sheepish smile.

Then, he extended his arm to her; she wrapped her hand around it, and he began to lead her into the gymnasium.

"Wait," she stopped suddenly in the doorway, and he turned to her.

"What is it?" he asked in concern.

"Nothing," Eun-Jeong shook her head. And she looked all around them, taking everything in with a smile upon her lips.

She knew it was simply the Shinwha gym, decorated—the same place where she'd done countless sweaty laps, burnt her hands upon the climbing rope, and been pelted by a dodgeball more times than she wanted to recall—but now, it seemed so magical to her, somehow… Perhaps it was because it had now transformed into her castle, and she was on the arm of her handsome prince…

It was their first date, after all… And Eun-Jeong couldn't imagine anything better than this…

She turned to Seok-Young and gave him a joyous smile. "It looks so beautiful, doesn't it?" she commented.

And they took in the metamorphosis of the gym, which was elegantly overstated—just like Shinwha—and decorated with streamers, strings of lights, and floral arrangements. And a large stage had been set up in the vast Shinwha gymnasium for Aidan and Aria's performance.

Seok-Young responded with an affectionate smile, and he paused to really look around. "Now that you mention it, it does look beautiful…," he replied. "…I don't think I would have even thought about it if I wasn't here with you… You know…," he paused and gazed out across the room. "…I think everything seems more beautiful when I'm with you…"

"Oppa…," she uttered, practically in tears at his touching statement.

He turned to gaze upon her; they stared into each other's eyes and volumes passed between them.

"Shall we?" he asked with a smile. She happily nodded, and he escorted her inside.

Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong moved through the rapidly forming crowd and met up with their friends.

They had offered to take Mee-Yon along with them, but she hadn't wanted to intrude upon their date, so she went separately with Yeong-Hui, Ju-Mi, and Hye-Mi. The event had been opened up to the entire school, so the younger girls were also there. The group mingled and talked, until the house lights came down and an announcer stepped onto the stage.


The room quieted as the announcer spoke, "Annyeonghaseyo, everyone! It is my great pleasure to introduce our very special guests tonight!"

And the crowd began to cheer.

"This teen sensation has become internationally renowned for their incredible voices and their unique brother-sister duo theme… So, without further ado, it is my honor to present you with—all the way from Los Angeles, California, United States and returning to Seoul to make their musical debut in their place of birth—Cho Dae Seong and Cho Nari, Aidan and Aria everyone!" he boomed into the mic.

The announcer began clapping and the crowd went wild, as Aidan and Aria stepped out from behind a large curtain.

The screams resounded, as Aidan and Aria took the stage. They made their way toward the center, smiling and waving to the crowd, and Aria blew kisses here and there. Aidan was dressed all in black, wearing leather pants and accessorized with stub earrings and a silver chain necklace. Aria wore a short black mini skirt with suspenders and a sparkly pink shirt with a lace collar.

The pop duo and announcer exchanged bows, and then he handed the mic to Aidan. Aidan took it with a 'kamsahamnida.' And he stood before the audience with one hand behind his back and the other poising the mic at his lips. Aria stood beside him, hands clasped in front of her and smiling brilliantly.


Seok-Young, Eun-Jeong, and the rest of the F5 girls watched from the middle of the room, waiting for the pop star to speak. And a hush fell over the vibrant crowd, as all eyes focused upon Aidan and Aria.

Aidan brushed aside his perfectly styled umber bangs and cleared his throat, "Annyeonghaseyo Shinwha!" he spoke into the microphone and shot them all a mega-watt smile. The crowd screamed out their greetings.

Aidan smiled at his fans. "I'm Aidan Cho," he spoke—his voice was silky smooth and pleasant. And he paused, smiling, when the crowd screeched and cast 'I love yous' at him.

"It's so great to be here in Seoul!" Aidan continued. "It's been such a long time since I've been here, and I've really missed it. This tour has been a long time coming, and it is very near and dear to my heart."

The announcer began translating for him, and Aidan turned to bow in thanks. "Kamsahamnida!"

And Aidan also thanked the audience for coming and apologized for his speech. "You'll have to forgive me, for my Korean is not so good… It's been a very long time since I've used it…"

This was translated. Aidan gave a sheepish chuckle and then flashed everyone a pearly smile.

And the audience emphatically exclaimed, 'Gwenchanayo!'

Aidan turned to present Aria, holding out his hand toward her. "And you all know this stunning young lady, don't you?"

The audience cheered…

"That's right, it's my baby sister—by minutes—" he held up his fingers, "…the lovely and talented Aria Cho!"

Aria took a step forward to present herself; she waved with both hands and blew a big kiss to the audience, greeting them and thanking them in Korean. Then, she stepped back and turned to Aidan.

"Gomawo, Oppa, for the introduction!" and she pecked him on the cheek.

'Awws' were heard from the crowd.

Then, Aria turned to present their accompaniment behind them, a small musical ensemble.


Eun-Jeong stood next to Seok-Young, as they listened to the pop stars and clapped together. After the introductions, Aidan and Aria's band began playing an upbeat dance song, while the pop duo sang. And the crowd began to dance.

"Come on, Oppa, you're not dancing," Eun-Jeong protested, as she began swaying to the music.

"Oh, well…I," Seok-Young stammered.

"What's wrong, Oppa? You're a great dancer."

"Well, I'm…not really so good with the fast dances…," he looked away, slightly embarrassed to admit that.

But it didn't bother Eun-Jeong, and she smiled. "Yeah, I guess our appas only know all those fancy dances, and they only taught us those, but my eomma taught me a thing or two, as well… Like this…" and Eun-Jeong demonstrated. She moved her hips to the music and raised her hands over her head and did a little twirl.

Seok-Young watched her and smiled. "You're pretty good at that, Eun-Jeong-ah."

She felt her cheeks warm, as she met his eyes. "You're too kind, Oppa," and she briefly cast her eyes to the side. "Now, you try, go on!" she said, looking at him once more.

Seok-Young flashed a perfect smile at her, and then he began imitating her. "Like this?"

"Yes. That's good, but you're too stiff, Oppa. Loosen up your hips up a bit," and without thinking Eun-Jeong placed her hands upon Seok-Young's hips to guide him.

Seok-Young swallowed hard.

Eun-Jeong turned a bright crimson upon realizing the intimate way she was touching him and how closely they were now pressed together. She took a step back, dropping her hands. "Just like that," she glanced away again.

Seok-Young smiled warmly at Eun-Jeong's shyness, and he reached out to gently turn her face back to him. "Thanks for showing me," he said. And she smiled and bit down on her lip.

Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong continued to dance to the music, while Aidan and Aria performed in perfectly choreographed synchronization. The pop stars danced back to back and then separated to walk to opposite ends of the stage, each kneeling down to touch the hands reaching out for them. Aidan swayed his hips and bit his lip lightly, causing shrieks and squeals of delight to be emitted from the girls in the audience. And Aria blew kisses and winked at the crowd. And they went nuts.


After several fast numbers, the music slowed, and Aidan and Aria began to sing a soft ballad.

"Finally, something I'm good at," Seok-Young quipped.

"You're good at everything, Oppa," Eun-Jeong blurted out—in complete adoration—before even realizing the words had escaped her lips. She lowered her eyes in embarrassment.

Seok-Young chuckled. "Well, gomawo, Eun-Jeong-ah, but I don't know about that…" And he tossed her a sweet smile. "But…would you like to dance?" and he held his hand gallantly out to her.

Eun-Jeong returned with an equally sugary facial expression, as she nodded and slipped her hand into his. He raised her hand up in preparation to lead; she placed her other hand upon his arm—due to his height—and he proceeded to rest his other hand at her waist. And they began to step around their small space of the room in perfect formation.

"I see those lessons from your appa paid off," Seok-Young grinned at her, while they danced.

"Ohh…yes," she gave a short laugh. "I know all the basic and formal dances now, but I prefer the more…fun ones…," she smiled, as she recalled spinning around the living room with her eomma and sisters—with absolutely no concept of embarrassment—and rocking out to their favorite music. Those times were a lot of fun, but she had to admit that this—right now—was utter perfection

"Well, I've always preferred the formal dances because I like the structure of following a series of easy steps, but I must admit that your eomma's way of dancing is much more fun…," he grinned at her, "…and particularly when it is with you…"

"Oppa…," she muttered, feeling her cheeks growing warmer and warmer…

He simply smiled and drew her closer. And they continued to dance…

Eun-Jeong in a breath, as he brought her in—to where their cheeks were just…about…touching, but not quite… She could feel his warm breath upon her cheek, causing a tremor to rise from deep within her. And Eun-Jeong felt like she was crawling out of her skin from their closeness, but in a pleasant way… And suddenly, it felt like it was just the two of them in the room…

"I remember the first time I danced with you…," Seok-Young began, as he gave her a little twirl. "Do you?" he asked, upon bringing her in to hold her tight again.

It took her a moment to register what he'd said, for she'd been caught up in the moment and had been delighting in the wonderful scent that was his alone.

Eun-Jeong did remember—very well, in fact—and creased at the fond memory, but she wanted to hear his account of it. So, she simply replied, "Mm. What do you remember about that time, Oppa?"

"Well…," he spoke softly near her ear. His breath was a warm, gentle breeze on a spring day, one that sent pleasant tingles rampaging throughout her.

"…I remember that we were at your parents' house, and you were protesting because your parents had you in a dress and were making you take dance lessons for some party they were throwing for the museum benefactors. I guess they thought it would be cute and fun to teach you, but you had other plans…"

Eun-Jeong released a goodhearted scoff. "Yes, I wasn't really keen on the idea. I just wanted to go outside and play…"

"I remember that I was over playing with Jae Jin," he continued, while holding her near, "…and your appa asked Jae Jin and me to be partners to you and Yeong-Hui, while he demonstrated with your eomma. I ended up as your partner," Seok-Young smiled at her.

"Yes, I remember," Eun-Jeong fondly nodded, and the smile could be heard in her voice.

"You were wearing this...poofy ball gown…," Seok-Young chuckled warmly, as he raised his eyes skyward and called back the image of a young Eun-Jeong.

Eun-Jeong gave a slight groan, but his smile softened her.

"It was this…sea-foam green, organza and tulle ball gown, if I'm not mistaken…," he spoke wistfully.

Wow, good memory, Oppa…

"Ohh, you even know all the terms, huh, Oppa?"

Seok-Young let out an awkward laugh. "I hope that doesn't make me sound less manly, but you don't grow up hanging around all the cultured, society-types our parents are forced to interact with without picking up a term or two."

Eun-Jeong chuckled. "That's true. And…it doesn't make you seem less manly…"

He gazed upon her with affection, and she shyly glanced away, smiling to herself.

She scoffed. "Oh, I hated wearing that dress… I was such a tomboy back then, and on top of that, I thought it was kind of ugly…"

"On the contrary, I thought it looked really pretty on you."

"You did?" she met his eyes—they were completely sincere looking.

"Yes, I did."

Eun-Jeong bit her lip and cast her eyes down to her feet. "Gomawo, Oppa. You know, I really don't mind dresses so much now…"

He smiled and whispered softly, "Well, I'm glad you came around to them…because you look stunning in a dress…especially this one tonight…"

Eun-Jeong swallowed hard, as a surge of emotion shot through her. What was Seok-Young trying to do to her?! Was he trying to render her a puddle on the floor right now?


Mee-Yon had been standing with Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong, but she felt she was intruding on their time together, so she'd gone for a glass of punch. She was thankful that they had invited her along with them, but she had to admit that she felt like a third wheel. But at least Yeong-Hui, Ju-Mi and Hye-Mi were there.

Still, she was happy that her brother and best friend were so happy. And she smiled as she watched their sweet little display of puppy love on the dance floor…

Mee-Yon picked up a crystal punch glass and reached for the ladle protruding from the bowl of the cherry red liquid. As she took hold of it, Mee-Yon felt a sharp poke in her ribs and jumped practically a mile. The ladle slipped from her fingers, sloshing the liquid in the bowl. When she turned to see who her assailant was, Jun-Seo was there, grinning at her with arms crossed.

"Goo Jun-Seo!" Mee-Yon set down her glass and smacked him hard on the arm. "Don't do that!"

Jun-Seo moved back slightly—to be out of range of any further strikes—and he chuckled.

"What are you doing here anyway? I didn't know you liked pop music…," she raised a brow.

"Well, there was nothing else to do," he shrugged. "Jae-Jin and Il-Hun are around here somewhere, too...," he glanced around for them. "…Besides, I figured I better show up in case you got into trouble again, Noona. You seem to have a knack for that," he said, with a haughty smirk.

Mee-Yon shoved her junior. "Why would I get into trouble? I have my oppa here."

"Well, he seems pretty preoccupied with his date…," Jun-Seo motioned to Seok-Young, who now had his arm casually draped over Eun-Jeong's shoulder.

Mee-Yon looked to the couple on the dance floor. "Yea, I suppose you're right," she mumbled. "…But it's not like I really need any protection. I can take care of myself!" she raised her head high and folded her arms.

The corners of Jun-Seo's mouth twitched, and he shook his head. "I'll bet…," he muttered.

"So...that's pretty weird, huh?" Jun-Seo commented, motioning briefly.

"What, Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong?"

"Yea… I mean, growing up with someone your whole life…and then realizing you like them all of a sudden…," Jun-Seo shot a cautious glance to Mee-Yon out of the corner of his eye.

She was staring out ahead now. "Mm, I guess so…"

Jun-Seo shoved his hands into his pockets and shuffled his feet. "Yea, weird," he reiterated.

Mee-Yon turned toward him, and their eyes met. "Well, I admit that I was kind of surprised by it, too. But they really seem to be a good couple. They make each other happy, and that makes me happy." And she smiled—for, she truly meant it.

Jun-Seo nodded and cleared his throat, looking away again. "So, did you hear how ticked Uncle Yi Jeong got at Hyung?"

"Oh yeah, I heard all about that," Mee-Yon replied.

"Apparently Jae-Jin was kind of peeved at Hyung, too."

"Really?"

"Yea, it's his noona after all… But apparently he and Hyung talked, and Jae Jin gave him a warning. But he is OK with it now."

Mee-Yon nodded, "Good."

There was a long pause...

"So, you came alone then?" Jun-Seo asked.

"Yes. Well, no. I mean, I didn't come with a date, so yes, alone…"

Jun-Seo nodded and stuck his hands in his pockets.

"Why do you ask?" she turned to him, raising a suspicious brow.

Jun-Seo shook his head. "No reason. Just making conversation," he said, and they both turned their eyes to the stage.

After a moment, Mee-Yon turned back to Jun-Seo. "By the way, Jun-Seo, you look pretty nice. You're all dressed up," she had only just taken it in that he was wearing a nice charcoal suit.

"Gomawo, Noona," Jun-Seo cast his eyes to the ground. Then, he tentatively looked back at her. He gave her a quick glance up and down.

She wore a short, coral-colored fit and flare mini dress—though not so short as to give her appa a heart attack, of course—that fell to just above her knees.

"And you um…look…really…uh…not…terrible," he stammered.

Mee-Yon gave a short laugh, knowing what he meant, "Gomawo, Jun-Seo. I'm flattered."

He nodded and turned his eyes ahead.

"Oh, but your tie is a little crooked. Let me fix it for you." And Mee-Yon grasped Jun-Seo by both arms and forcibly turned him to face her. Jun-Seo gaped at her, as she took hold of his tie with both hands and began adjusting it for him.

Jun-Seo swallowed and looked away, feeling his cheeks grow inexplicably warm.

"There, perfect!" she exclaimed, holding a proud head up as she admired her work.

"Gomawo, Noona," Jun-Seo uttered again.

Their eyes met briefly—hers the color of rich, warm brownies, and his slightly lighter in color. And Mee-Yon gave Jun-Seo a friendly pat on the back. "Now the girls won't be able to resist you, Goo Jun-Seo," Mee-Yon grinned.

"Pssshh," Jun-Seo waved her off.

"Oh, but you probably don't even like girls yet, right Jun-Seo?"

Jun-Seo gawked at Mee-Yon. "What do you think I'm a little kid or something? Of course I like girls…," he snapped his head away from her. "I'm…just keeping my options open…," he mumbled.

Mee-Yon chuckled. "You're funny, Jun-Seo. Hm, but you're still probably a little young to date for real, right…?"

"Am not!" Jun-Seo protested, stronger than he'd intended.

Mee-Yon put a hand on Jun-Seo's shoulder. "Don't rush it, Goo Jun-Seo. Dating is hard… Just enjoy your childhood."

And Jun-Seo felt himself growing increasingly irritated. Who did Mee-Yon think she was, talking to him in such a way? And when did she become so worldly…? She'd barely had any experience with dating…

"I could date if I wanted…and I'm not a child…," he muttered.

"Oh, yes, of course. Mianhae, Jun-Seo…," and she turned her head away.

There was an awkward silence.

To break it, Mee-Yon gave a little nervous chuckle. "Well, you're lucky then. I guess I was just going off my own experience… It was a miracle that my appa let me go on my first date, after all, and with it turning out the way it did…," Mee-Yon glanced down at her feet, "…He probably won't let me go on another one until I'm 30."

"Wow, that's pretty old," Jun-Seo commented, and they both laughed. It seemed to break the tension.

"Yea, well, don't say that in front of our parents," Mee-Yon smirked.

They shared another chuckle, and then there was silence again.

Jun-Seo observed Mee-Yon—she was facing the stage again, and her eyes were glued there. Jun-Seo opened his mouth to speak. "Noona, would you—?"

But she appeared to have seen something that caught her attention, and she cut him off. "Oh, I'm sorry, excuse me, Jun-Seo!" And she clapped him on the back and walked off.

...

"…want to dance…?" he finished sullenly, as he watched her walk away. Jun-Seo sighed and went to look for Jae Jin and Il-Hun, figuring they were off talking to some girls somewhere.


Aidan and Aria had taken a break from song and dance and were speaking to the audience again. And Aidan was responding to a question about their songs.

"Ah yes, some people ask us…'isn't it strange that you are brother and sister and yet you perform a lot of love songs?' Well, I always say to them, 'no it's not strange for us at all.' Yes, we do have a lot of romantic love songs—and we both have our own personal experiences with romantic love—but we also have a lot of songs focusing upon the love and support of a family…"

Aidan paused. "Aria and I are very close," he continued, "We know everything about each other, including details about our love lives," Aidan gave a little laugh. "But we do try to preserve the other's privacy…"

The announcer translated, and the audience's curiosity was piqued.

"Many reporters have done articles on us," Aidan proceeded, "and they've separated us, hoping to drag out more intimate details from the other…," Aidan chuckled and looked to Aria. And she smirked over at him.

"It's true," Aria cut in. "They always ask me things like, 'Aria, is your brother Aidan seeing anyone special?' she chuckled.

The interpreter again translated.

"And she always says the same thing," Aidan finished for her, "She always tells them, 'my brother is not seeing anyone at the moment, but he is open to finding his soulmate…"

The crowd oohed.

"But then she tells them that she doesn't know if there is truly anyone out there who she approves of, since I am so special to her…," Aidan laughed and put a hand on Aria's shoulder. She smiled affectionately over at him.

"My sister is entirely too concerned for me… And I think she gives me entirely too much credit… I'm really not anything special; I'm just a regular guy. Don't you think?" he directed the question to the audience, holding out the mic.

The audience responded with loud clapping and cheers, amidst shouts of 'We love you, Aidan!'

And Aidan revealed his flawless smile before speaking again. "Perhaps my soulmate is even in this audience tonight… What do all of you think?" Aidan winked.

And the crowd went wild…

Aidan grinned and allowed the crowd to settle down before speaking again. "And then Aria here," he squeezed her shoulder. "…well, though she has tons of guys interested in her, I don't allow any of them to date her because I am a very protective oppa… I don't think I can approve of anyone for her, either," he chuckled.

"Oh, go on, Aidan! Don't be silly!" Aria gave her brother a playful shove. "I see lots of great guys out there tonight!" Aria took a good look and blew some kisses—a move which was met by whooping and wolf whistles from the males in the crowd.

The announcer translated and then whispered something to Aidan. Aidan nodded.


"Oh, I am told that it's time for the special event," Aidan announced to the crowd. He stood there, hands at his sides and beaming at the audience, while a stagehand came out with a container for a drawing. And it was announced that one of the lucky girls in the audience would be selected to come up on stage and meet Aidan in person…

The F4 girls, Seok-Young, and Jun-Seo all stood together.

"A drawing?" Eun-Jeong questioned aloud. "I didn't know about that..."

They watched as a slip of paper was pulled from the container.

"And the winner is…number 47, So Eun-Jeong!" the announcer called out. The others all spun around to face Eun-Jeong, mouths agape.

"Eh?!" Eun-Jeong's eyes shot to the stage.

"You won, Unnie!" Hye-Mi screeched, and she jumped up and down, clutching Eun-Jeong's hands and then hugging her. Ju-Mi and Mee-Yon smiled and patted Eun-Jeong on the back; the boys looked between each other.

"So Eun-Jeong, come on up!" the stagehand beckoned, looking around for the winner.

"Go on, Eun-Jeong-ah!" Mee-Yon encouraged, smiling brightly.

"Yes, go, go!" Ju-Mi insisted, as she, Yeong-Hui, and Hye-Mi began pushing Eun-Jeong toward the stage.

"But, I didn't even enter a drawing…," Eun-Jeong protested, and she shot a glance back at Seok-Young over her shoulder. They stared at one another, as if she was being dragged away to be tortured like a prisoner of war.

"Everyone who buys a ticket to the dance is entered, silly!" Hye-Mi explained. "Ohh, you're so lucky, Unnie!" Hye-Mi squealed. "I'll have to live vi-vi—what was that word—vicariously through you, I guess…"

Eun-Jeong took a last look at Seok-Young, who was simply watching her. And then she turned and slowly approached the stage to claim her highly coveted prize…

Seok-Young watched Eun-Jeong step nervously onto the stage from beside Jun-Seo. She was led up the stairs and over to the pretty boy pop star at center stage. Aidan smiled at Eun-Jeong, and she gave him a polite bow. Then, he coolly took her hand, leaned forward, and placed a soft, chaste kiss upon her knuckle.

Seok-Young instantly frowned.

Then, Aidan placed a hand upon the small of Eun-Jeong's back, as he led her over to a stool that had been brought out. He gently sat her down and rested a hand upon her shoulder.

Seok-Young's brow furrowed and he felt his body tensing up all over… It was that unpleasant feeling again…jealousy

But that was foolish, wasn't it? He had no reason to be jealous of some pop star, other than the fact that he was currently touching his girl…

And the announcer began a little Q&A between Aidan and Eun-Jeong.


When his curiosity got the better of him, Seok-Young began inadvertently wandering closer to the stage, and Jun-Seo followed him. He hadn't been able to find Il-Hun and Jae-Jin yet.

Seok-Young settled in at the right side of the stage, at the bottom of the stairs leading to the backstage entrance. Seok-Young folded his arms and watched. Jun-Seo stood next to him.

"Hyung, are you just going to take that?" Jun-Seo motioned toward Aidan onstage from beside Seok-Young.

Seok-Young shrugged. "What would you have me do, Jun-Seo? Rush the stage and pick a fight with him?"

Seok-Young shook his head. "No, I'd only embarrass her and myself…and not to mention, I'd be dragged off by security before I could even get up there…," he muttered.

"Yeah, I guess you're right, Hyung…"

"Or, perhaps do you think I should wait until after the show and jump him…?" Seok-Young suggested sarcastically.

Jun-Seo d his chin, as if he was actually considering it as a viable option. Then he shook his head. "Well…no, I'm not saying that, Hyung!"

"Besides, it's just a silly contest. It's just a performance… It doesn't mean anything…," Seok-Young replied, as his eyes darted between Aidan and Eun-Jong.

Still, why did he feel so uneasy…? Why did he feel like he was convincing himself—rather than Jun-Seo—of something?

Jun-Seo shrugged. "I guess so. He's being kind of touchy-feely with Eun-Jeong Noona though, don't you think? If it was my girl…," Jun-Seo began but did not finish the sentence.

Seok-Young tightened his mouth and remained silent.

And then an idea popped into Jun-Seo's head. "Hyung! Do you want me to at least play a trick on him tonight at home?" he suggested with a devious grin.

Seok-Young exhaled. "No, don't do that, Jun-Seo."

"Fine…," Jun-Seo mumbled, disappointed. He folded his arms and turned his eyes back to the stage.

And Seok-Young continued to watch closely…

...


"Annyeong, Goo Jun-Seo-ssi," a honeyed female voice came from behind Jun-Seo and Seok-Young.

They spun around to see Aria standing right behind them…

She was a petite thing, and her face was a piece of porcelain, one worthy of a museum. Neither the Goo nor Yoon boy could deny that she was a beautiful sight to behold, kind of like looking at a sunset…

"Oh, ann-annyeong, Aria-yang," Jun-Seo lowered his eyes and fidgeted with a nervous energy.

Aria smiled. "You don't have to be so formal, Goo Jun-Seo-ssi," she replied.

"You either," he said, glancing away.

"Gomawo. After all, I'm staying at your house, and you've seen me in my pajamas…," and her smile turned into a smirk.

Jun-Seo could have died of embarrassment right then and there, but he did his utmost to hide it. He put on a proud demeanor, but it wasn't fooling Seok-Young.

Seok-Young raised a brow at Jun-Seo, who was fidgeting and avoiding eye contact with her. And then Jun-Seo suddenly excused himself—holding his head high and poking out his chest—informing them that he was going to wander around

After Jun-Seo left, Seok-Young grinned and shook his head. He'd found it rather entertaining to watch Jun-Seo squirm in shyness. And he turned to Aria. He bowed and prepared to introduce himself but before he could, she gasped.

"You're Yoon Seok-Young, right?!" her sapphire eyes sparkled under shimmery gold eyeshadow.

Seok-Young's brow wrinkled. "Yes," and he bowed again.

"Oh, I apologize for my rudeness!" she bowed. "Annyeonghaseyo, Yoon Seok-Young-ssi!"

"It's OK, you can drop the ssi for me, too," he replied politely.

Aria smiled. "Alright then, Yoon Seok-Young," she pronounced each part with emphasis.

"Um, forgive me, but how did you know who I was…?" Seok-Young asked.

"Well, it was sort of a lucky guess," she said, with a smile. "However, you do greatly resemble your father…"

"You know my father?"

"Of him," Aria corrected. "I've only seen photos, but we are looking forward to meeting him soon. You know, my brother really admires your father…"

"He does?"

"Yes, Aidan loves orchestral music and going to the symphony. He actually plays several instruments quite well, too. He always used to say he didn't even like pop music, and now he is a pop star…," Aria gave a short laugh. "Funny, isn't it?"

"Yes…," Seok-Young replied, but his eyes were on Eun-Jeong and Aidan again. Aidan had just laughed about something Eun-Jeong said and then had tucked her hair aside so that he could place his hand upon her shoulder.

"Oh, should I speak with you in Korean or English?" Aria asked.

"Either is fine."

"OK. I am better with English, but I studied Korean a lot. I warn you that it might turn into some sort of hybrid, though," she laughed. "Because I forget certain words sometimes…"

"Hm?" Seok-Young muttered, distracted. "Oh, I'm so sorry," he apologized in cutely broken English. And he bowed profusely when he realized that she had been speaking but he'd been barely listening.

Aria studied Seok-Young, as he gazed intently upon the stage.

"You seem upset," and she reached out to touch his arm.

"Oh, no I'm OK," Seok-Young shook his head and shot her a halfhearted smile.

"Is that your girlfriend up there?" Aria asked, as she gestured to Eun-Jeong on the stage.

Eun-Jeong had just looked up at Aidan with a faint smile.

"Yes," Seok-Young replied immediately, still fixing his eyes upon the stage. "Well, it's just beginning…and sort of complicated…but yes, she is," he nodded with certainty, yet he was uncertain as to why he was rambling on so…

Aria cocked her head to the side. "I see," and she smiled at Seok-Young. She observed him for another moment, while he watched Eun-Jeong and Aidan on the stage, before asking, "Would you like to go backstage?"

"Excuse me? Oh, well, I don't know…"

"You'll have a better view."

"Alright, well, I suppose so… Kamsahamnida," he bowed. And Aria led Seok-Young backstage by the hand.


Just then, the house lights dimmed and went out entirely. A brightly colorful display sprung up on the large video screen like flowers, and Eun-Jeong was immediately surrounded by dancing neon hearts. Then, a spotlight illuminated Aidan—the crowd pulled out their camera phones—and a CD began to play in the background.

Aria stood next to Seok-Young backstage. As soon as she heard the melody, her nose crinkled in confusion. "Oh, this song?" she asked of herself, incredulous. "I didn't know he was singing this one… I wonder why he chose it…," she murmured.

And Seok-Young had to admit that he was curious. "Forgive me, I don't mean to be rude, but is this an unusual song choice?"

"Hm? Oh, well, yes…," Aria placed a finger to her chin. "I suppose it is… He's…never sung it live. He wrote it for his first girlfriend, his first love…"

Seok-Young's brow furrowed and he gripped onto the wall beside him.


It was then that Aidan announced that he would be singing a song he'd written himself, one that had special meaning for him. An acoustic guitarist and small string ensemble began playing softly in the background along with his CD.

Aidan shut his eyes and began to sing to the crowd. "I still remember…the first time I saw your face…"

Aidan's voice was like velvet… It started out soft but then grew—rising higher and higher—bursting forth from the speakers and penetrating the walls surrounding them…

He opened his eyes and continued to sing…

Eun-Jeong sat onstage, perfectly still—with her hands in her lap—and mesmerized by Aidan's song…

It was a song about young love—of secret smiles, looks of longing, hand-holding, and first kisses—soft and tender and perfect…

And Eun-Jeong had to admit that Aidan was singing about everything she was currently feeling for Seok-Young—with an unrivaled passion that could only come from personal experience. She shivered, as the haunting melody touched her down to her very soul…

Then, Aidan began walking slowly, smoothly along the stage and toward Eun-Jeong. He reached out his hand as he approached, singing to her…

Aidan continued along his course but stopped—just once, and only for a moment—to direct his song out to the crowd. And then he turned back to Eun-Jeong. His piercing eyes focused upon her, as if she was the only one in the room…

Eun-Jeong felt herself begin to tremble lightly, whether from nervousness about being onstage or from the smoldering look Aidan was currently giving her, she wasn't sure…

He made his way to her—steadfast—and she found herself growing more and more nervous with each step he took…

Eun-Jeong swallowed hard and shrunk down a bit when Aidan reached her. He stood over her, with the hint of a smile upon his full lips, and she simply stared up at him with large, doe eyes. Aidan brushed a finger—ever so softly—along Eun-Jeong's cheek…

He sang, "Your beautiful smile…the look upon your face…your soft touch…"

Then, Aidan stepped behind Eun-Jeong. He directed the chorus to the audience, as he brushed his fingers slowly through her hair. And a shiver shot through Eun-Jeong that made her feel utterly ashamed…

Eun-Jeong had never been the type of girl to swoon over pop stars, or anyone for that matter—not until Seok-Young, at least... And ever since falling for Seok-Young she'd only had eyes for him

But as Aidan stood before her now, Eun-Jeong had to admit that he was certainly nice to look at—no girl could deny that, or fault her for thinking so… He had a nice voice and a gentle touch, too, along with some strange charisma—that made her knees go weak and her heart abruptly flutter…

And those fleeting feelings had her completely wracked with guilt…

Yes, Aidan truly appeared to be the ideal guy—the epitome of perfection—and everything any girl could ever want… But then again, she knew absolutely nothing about him…so it was merely a physical attraction, wasn't it?

Regardless, she felt shallow and awful.

She thought of Seok-Young…

How could she be so horrible to her beloved Oppa?! And she wondered if she should admit to Oppa that she found Aidan attractive? She wanted to always be honest with Seok-Young, after all. But she didn't want to hurt him either…

Would he think she didn't love him…? Would he think her unfaithful…? Would he be angry with her…?

She felt sick just thinking about it, and the knot that had formed in her stomach from being onstage hardened and twisted further. And it forced Eun-Jeong back to her senses. She must have looked crazy, too, for she literally shook it off.

She put on a smile and smoothed out her dress.

Aidan was on his second verse now, but thoughts of Seok-Young kept creeping into Eun-Jeong's head—things like…how incredibly handsome Oppa looked tonight, and more importantly, the way he made her feel…

And she looked for Seok-Young in the crowd, but she couldn't see him through the darkness…

Even this flawless boy before her now—and the fluttery feeling he had given her—could never diminish what she felt for Seok-Young. Those brief sensations were nothing compared to what Seok-Young did to her… And the two couldn't possibly be compared—it wasn't even a contest. With Aidan it was merely butterflies, with Seok-young it was fireworks…

And there she was, off dreaming of Seok-Young again, while the pop prince serenaded her…

If Aidan was a sickness, Seok-Young was a full-blown disease—one she never wanted to be cured of…

It must be love, not infatuation—as Appa had said—it has to be…., she thought. Appa was wrong…


Seok-Young gripped unwittingly tighter to the wall, frowning, as he watched Aidan and Eun-Jeong's interaction.

Aria suddenly placed a hand on his arm. "Don't worry, Yoon Seok-Young. My brother is not really what he appears," she said.

"Excuse me?"

"He's very friendly, but he's not really as flirtatious as he comes across. It's all part of the act, his stage persona… He's not some ladies' man out to seduce every girl he comes across, like one might think of him. Oh, he is very popular with the ladies, obviously…but in reality, my brother is actually a bit shy with girls he really likes…"

Seok-Young stared at Aria in disbelief, and then he turned his gaze back to the stage.

Sensing he didn't believe her, she replied, "It's true. Aidan is actually quite sincere with girls and very loyal. He's only ever had one girlfriend…" Aria hesitated before continuing on, "…He was deeply in love with her. They were together for about a year, and then she broke his heart. She cheated on him and dumped him for another guy."

Seok-Young turned back to Aria and put on a sympathetic expression. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Yea… He took it really hard and was depressed for a good six months about it, but he managed to get through it somehow. Well, this girl," Aria sneered. "…she tried to come back to him a few months later. He had just gotten famous, so he didn't trust that she was being sincere with him—and I'm glad he didn't trust her… I'll bet she's really kicking herself now. But sad as it is, I'm glad he found out what she was really like before he got in too deep…"

Aria shook her head and folded her arms across her womanly chest. "I really don't know why he's singing this song…," she mused. "I suppose he's trying to prove that he's over it now…"

And she let out a small sigh. "Oh, and don't worry, Yoon Seok-Young. Aidan knows his boundaries with girls and with the fans."
Seok-Young nodded to her. Then, he focused back upon the stage, and he and Aria watched from behind the scenes, as Aidan continued to deliver his powerful love song to So Eun-Jeong…


Eun-Jeong had forcibly returned her attention to Aidan when she didn't see Seok-Young around.

"That night…as we held each other under the light of the moon...," Aidan sang, resting a hand briefly upon Eun-Jeong's shoulder. He removed the hand and then placed it over his heart, while singing straight from it…

Then, Aidan moved to stand in front of Eun-Jeong, facing her and leaning down slightly to gain her full attention. And Eun-Jeong could see Aidan's face clearly. His eyes were a deep sapphire blue. She had never seen such eyes in person—and she wondered if they were natural.

Seok-Young's eyes were a very different color, but equally beautiful—even more so for Eun-Jeong. And she constantly found herself getting lost in them, sometimes even forgetting what she meant to say.

At the next verse, his song grew sad…

Aidan's handsome face twisted with his words—and Eun-Jeong swore she saw the hint of tears glistening in those sparkling sapphire orbs. Eyes that had once been soft, gentle, and a little playful were sad now…

His song clearly told a story—one beautiful, yet tragic. And Eun-Jeong found herself wondering what terrible ordeal Aidan had been through…

Aidan's melodic voice built to a powerful crescendo that threatened to bring down the rafters of the school gymnasium… He turned to face the crowd again, shutting his eyes tight and belting out a chorus of, "Saranghae, saranghae, saranghaeeee…" And his sonorous voice peaked, as the song reached its and Aidan demonstrated the full potential of his incredible vocal range.

Finally, the song drew to a close, and Aidan lowered his voice. He turned back to Eun-Jeong. Facing her and leaning in closer, he finished with a final—much softer and sweeter—"Saranghae, my first love, saranghae…"


It had been a strange feeling for Eun-Jeong—having a boy sing of his love to her… Of course, she knew Aidan didn't mean any of those words; he wasn't directing them at her. He was only performing, but still, she had expected—and hoped—to first hear those words from Seok-Young. But that was so silly, for this meant absolutely nothing at all…


And Eun-Jeong simply stared up at Aidan. His breathing was slightly escalated, and he seemed emotionally affected by his own song… She looked deep into his eyes, attempting to figure him out through the so-called windows to his soul... And he gazed down into hers for a moment, as if he was only just realizing that he had revealed some deep, dark, private part of himself.

But Aidan's demeanor instantly changed when the crowd began to clap and cheer wildly. And he was cheerful again, smiling vividly at the audience as he thanked them and took a bow.


Backstage, a stagehand approached Aria and whispered something to her.

"Oh no, oh no!" Aria exclaimed.

"What is it?" Seok-Young asked.

"My piano player had a family emergency and had to leave! Everything is OK, but he won't get back in time, and now I don't have someone to accompany me during my solo...Aidan doesn't play piano... Oh, and I was really looking forward to performing this one, too…"

"Well, I play the piano…," Seok-Young began.

"Oh! Really?! Yoon Seok-Young, could you possibly…would you…accompany me?" she clasped her hands together and pleaded with her eyes.

"Well, alright," he nodded.

"Oh, thank you; thank you; thank you!" and she threw her arms around Seok-Young's neck. And Seok-Young went stiff.

Aria pulled back after a few seconds. "You're the best!" she exclaimed, as she took him by the hand and led him out onto the stage.


As soon as the lights came up, Eun-Jeong immediately looked for Seok-Young. She looked to the spot he'd been in, but she didn't see him there. She began frantically scanning the crowd, but he was nowhere to be seen… And Eun-Jeong panicked, thinking Seok-Young had left. But no, Oppa would never do that… She looked around again and finally saw him, off to her left… He wasn't alone.

Eun-Jeong was shocked to see Aria dragging Seok-Young onto the stage with her from the backstage area. What was he doing back there with her? And why was she…holding his hand?

Eun-Jeong felt her stomach drop out at the sight…

To Be Continued…


A/N: Thoughts? So, I wanted to add more lyrics for Aidan's song, but I'm no songwriter and just wasn't coming up with anything good, so I decided to just describe what he was singing about...so, sorry if it's not very good.

Teaser for the Next Two Chapters: The pop stars turn things upside down when they decide to attend Shinwha for awhile. The F4 kids spend time with the pop stars and learn more about their past. Aidan's chivalrous side and Seok-Young's competitive side come out, and Seok-Young challenges Aidan in a musical competition. Seok-Young and Jun-Seo are jealous of Aidan's closeness with the girls. Aria is a bit taken with Seok-Young, and Aidan expresses his romantic interest in one of the F4 daughters...