First Breaths & First Kisses

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

 

"How are you feeling, Ga Eul-ah?" Jan Di asked, as she walked into Ga Eul's hospital room, donning her white coat and a smile. Yi Jeong—dressed in his typical finest—was practically glued to his wife's side, gently her silky onyx hair, as she lay back against the pillow.

Ga Eul returned her best friend's smile and immediately attempted to sit up; Yi Jeong assisted her. "Just fine, Jan Di-yah."

"Hello, Yi Jeong Sunbae," Jan Di said, turning to Yi Jeong and offering him a short bow. Yi Jeong flashed a brilliant smile and greeted back.

"I'm going to give you a quick exam, Ga Eul-ah," Jan Di informed, and Ga Eul nodded.

"I'll go and get you some ice chips, Jagiya," Yi jeong announced. He gave Ga Eul's hand a squeeze before exiting the room.

Jan Di went to a nearby sink to wash her hands. After, she slipped on a pair of baby blue latex gloves and returned to Ga Eul's side. "You're going to be an eomma again! This is so exciting!" Jan Di exclaimed, as she began her exam. And Ga Eul's eyes twinkled with delight.

"Is Yi Jeong Sunbae pleased?" Jan Di asked.

"Yes, very. We both want a large family."

Jan Di grinned. "Well, it certainly is growing..." Jan Di placed electrodes upon Ga Eul's protruding belly to monitor the baby's heartrate.

"Mm," Ga Eul replied. And then her brow furrowed; she hunched over and groaned, as she felt the tightening sensation of a contraction.

Jan Di checked her watch, noting the timing of it, as Ga Eul breathed through the contraction.

"How bad was that one?"

"N-not too bad…," Ga Eul responded through short puffs of air. Jan Di laid a hand upon Ga Eul's arm.

Another one came several minutes later... Jan Di monitored that one and then completed her exam.

"Well, everything looks good. You're dilated 8 centimeters. It shouldn't be long now…" Jan Di tossed her gloves into the garbage can and washed up. Then, she took a seat at the foot of Ga Eul's bed. "So, how do the kids feel about the new baby coming?"

"They're excited, well…except for Ae-Jeong… I believe she is a bit jealous because she won't be the baby of the family anymore…"

"Mm," Jan Di nodded. "That's fairly common."

The corners of Ga Eul's mouth wrinkled in amusement at recalling her youngest one firmly stating a few days ago—with hands on hips—that she believed their family was plenty big enough and that she didn't want another brother or sister. Ga Eul had chuckled and clearly informed Ae-Jeong that it was unfortunately too late for her to change her mind and that nothing could be done about it now. When Ae-Yeong frowned, Ga Eul had given her a hug and kiss. And she had reminded her of the very special promotion she was getting—to big sister—and of how important a job that was… This seemed to appease Ae-Jeong.

"Were the twins or Jae-Jin jealous?"

Ga Eul shook her head. "No, not really."


"How are we doing, Mrs. So?" Dr. Jang greeted, as he waltzed into the room, wearing suit and tie beneath his snow white lab coat. He looked to Jan Di and acknowledged her with a nod, "Kiddo."

"Oh, Seonsaengnim," Jan Di replied. "What are you doing here?"

"Just checking in," he replied.

Jan Di nodded. "Ga Eul-ah, this is my former seonsaengnim, Dr. Jang." Dr. Jang went to Ga Eul's bedside and stuck out a hand, which Ga Eul shook.

"Oh, yes of course. I believe I've seen you around before," Ga Eul replied. "I'm doing fine, thank you Doctor."

"Good, good," Dr. Jang flashed a pearly smile and took a look at her chart. "Well, everything seems to be in order here…"

"Seonsaengnim, why are you running around and doing things that are not your job?" Jan Di inquired.

"Well, we're a little understaffed because someone just quit, so I'm filling in."

"Oh, that's nice of you."

Dr. Jang stuffed his hands into the pockets of his coat. "If you don't finish up with the Goo birth in time, Kiddo, then I'll help out with your friend here."

"Thank you, Seonsaengnim," Jan Di bowed to him.

"Yes, thank you, Doctor," Ga Eul reiterated, just before another contraction reared its ugly head. Jan Di d Ga Eul's hair, while she pushed through it. Ga Eul's breathing returned to normal as the contraction subsided.

"OK, seems like you have it all under control, Kiddo. I'll be back, and in the meantime, I'll send some nurses," Dr. Jang placed a hand upon Jan Di's arm before leaving the room.


"So, that was the man who almost kissed you while Ji Hoo was away in the Army?" Ga Eul smirked, once Dr. Jang was gone.

Jan Di cleared and tucked her hands into the pockets of her lab coat. "Well, yes…but he didn't really…he—" Jan Di stammered, "Well, that was a long time ago..."

Ga Eul shook her head.

...

Jan Di's pager buzzed at her hip.

"So, Ga Eul-ah, I'm so sorry, but I need to go…," Jan Di frowned. "Alex is further along than you, and she'll need to start pushing soon… You still have some time, though, so I will hopefully be back before you begin, depending on how long it takes with Alex. If not, Dr. Jang will take good care of you. He's great."

"Great aside from coming on to a married woman…," Ga Eul teased.

"It wasn't like that, exactly, Ga Eul-ah…," Jan Di glanced down. "And he didn't actually do anything… It's way, way in the past, anyway. He really is a good guy…and an excellent doctor."

Ga Eul smiled. "I know. I was only joking anyway, Jan Di-yah…"

Jan Di grinned. "Well, you just relax, Ga Eul-ah. And I'll be back."

Ga Eul nodded. "Thank you, Jan Di-yah." Jan Di smiled and took her leave.


Eun-Jeong was taken to the hospital by the So family's driver. When they arrived, she checked her phone. Her appa had messaged her to say that all of them were there, except for Ae-Jeong, and that they were in room 330. Eun-Jeong tossed a quick bow to her driver at the hospital entrance and rushed off toward the stairs. She took them several at a time, praying that she didn't miss anything.

Eun-Jeong arrived at Ga Eul's room slightly out of breath. She hunched over slightly, resting her hands upon her jeans.

"Annyeong, Baby," Ga Eul greeted, "Are you alright? Why are you out of breath?"

"Yes, Eomma…I'm fine, just…didn't want to…miss it," Eun-Jeong panted.

Yeong-Hui was seated on the green faux leather couch beside the bed. Eun-Jeong waved at her sister before going to her eomma to give her a delicate hug. Then, she took a seat next to her twin on the not-so-comfortable couch.

"How are you, Eomma?" Eun-Jeong asked.

"I'm just fine, Baby."

Eun-Jeong breathed a sigh of relief.

"Where were you?" Yeong-Hui asked curiously.

"Well, umm…I was at the Yoons' place…"

Yeong-Hui raised a brow.


Eun-Jeong had immediately rushed off on Seok-Young when she heard that her mother was in labor, and she had asked her driver to pick her up. She had been so focused upon getting to the hospital in time that she hadn't had much time to think about her kiss with Seok-Young... But now that she'd gotten a moment to breathe, it all came drifting back to her like a lovely dream...

Had she and Seok-Young really, truly kissed…and on the lips?! Or, was it actually a dream? It couldn't have been real, could it? It seemed far too perfect to be real, after all...

But she could see it all so vividly in her head, and she kept replaying it—attempting to stamp every last detail into memory, to keep forever and ever: the sound of his voice passionately insisting that she should be with him…, the way he'd gazed upon her longingly…, the feel of his warm, soft lips upon hers…

It made her tingle all over, and she felt herself shiver with excitement at the mere thought of it…

It had ended way too abruptly—she already missed being in his strong, yet gentle embrace—and she yearned to experience it all again…

Eun-Jeong pinched herself on the arm—just to make sure it had been real—and she flinched slightly when it hurt. A small smile crossed her cherry red lips, and she released a pleasurable sigh.


Yeong-Hui's brow wrinkled in confusion, as she observed her sibling's odd behavior. Something must have happened… And Yeong-Hui vowed to find out what.

Ga Eul had also noticed her daughter's change in demeanor and dreamy state. She watched Eun-Jeong for a moment, and then her lips parted to speak.

It was then that Yi Jeong returned with a paper cup filled with ice chips; he handed it to Ga Eul. Ga Eul popped a few of the frozen chips into and closed her eyes, as the cool liquid ran down her parched throat.

Yi Jeong greeted his daughters, as he d Ga Eul lightly on the arm. Yeong-Hui greeted her father back, but Eun-Jeong was staring off into space—with a smile upon her lips—and she had not yet registered that he was even in the room. All eyes went to Eun-Jeong.

"Eun-Jeong-ah…," Yi Jeong called to her again. "Are you going to just ignore your father?"

Eun-Jeong still did not respond.

Ga Eul quickly polished off a few more slivers of ice. "Um, Jagiya…," Ga Eul interrupted, "…could you bring me more ice chips?" She stared up at her husband, holding the still half-full cup out expectantly and batting her eyes.

Yi Jeong's brow wrinkled, "That was quick… Well, alright, I'll be right back," he said, taking the cup from her. He leaned down to give her a peck upon the lips and then left the room.

"Baby, did…something good happen?" Ga Eul asked, once she had gotten rid of Yi Jeong.

Eun-Jeong finally snapped out of it, "Hmm?"

Ga Eul repeated the question.

Eun-Jeong attempted to play it off; she shook her head. "No, not really…," she said, but she still could not stop smiling—she felt completely giddy—and she knew that her mother and sister must be highly suspicious…

"Are you sure about that, Eun-Jeong-ah?" Yeong-Hui joined in.

Eun-Jeong wanted to tell her eomma and Yeong-Hui about what had happened… She wanted to shout it from the rooftops, in fact—that she had kissed Yoon Seok-Young—but she felt she should talk to Seok-Young first.

So she simply replied, "Oh, I'm just really happy about the new baby coming, Eomma…," and she turned away, in a feeble attempt at hiding the blush from their view. But the smile remained plastered on.

The corners of Ga Eul's mouth tilted, and she and Yeong-Hui exchanged a glance.

Eun-Jeong knew that her mother and sister didn't believe her, but they didn't press further—though she suspected that Yeong-Hui might attempt to do so later when she got her alone…


After Eun-Jeong informed Seok-Young that her mother and Alex were in labor, she had immediately taken off on him—before he even had the chance to offer her a ride to the hospital. Seok-Young had then gone to his father. Ji Hoo was on his way to the hospital, and Seok-Young asked to go along to see the new babies being born. And he did want to see them, but he had to admit, that—most of all—he wanted to see Eun-Jeong...

Upon arrival, Ji Hoo had taken Seok-Young to the third floor, where Ga Eul and Alex's rooms were. There, they parted ways. Seok-Young had peeked in—staying out of sight—on the Sos in his aunt Ga Eul's room, but he was not sure if he should go in. So, he simply wandered around for awhile and ended up at the vending machines.


After being rather suspiciously kicked out of his wife's room, Yi Jeong made his way to the vending area to get more ice chips for Ga Eul. Yi Jeong approached the ice machine and noticed Seok-Young there. He was leaning against the wall—with arms folded across his chest—and dozing.

"Just like your appa…," Yi Jeong commented, stirring Seok-Young from his cat nap. Seok-Young's dark eyelashes fluttered; he blinked a few times, and then his chocolate eyes opened fully. His uncle stood before him, wearing an amused grin.

"Oh. Annyeong, Uncle Yi Jeong," Seok-Young bowed.

"Annyeong, Seok-Young-ah…" Yi Jeong folded his arms, while still holding the cup of chips. "Did you sleep well?"

Seok-Young chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh yea, I guess I did fall asleep for a moment. I have been pretty tired lately…"

"Well, I see that napping standing up must be hereditary…," Yi Jeong smirked. "Your appa does that all the time."


Woo Bin had just arrived and approached from across the room. He strode up to Yi Jeong and Seok-Young and greeted them. The three walked together back toward the waiting room and Ga Eul's room.

"So…, Yoon Seok-Young, how did it go with that girl? Did you try the move yet?" Woo Bin gave his nephew a sly grin and placed an arm around his shoulder as they walked.

"Well, no, not yet, Uncle Woo Bin…," Seok-Young cast his eyes to his feet.

"Girl? What move?" Yi Jeong asked—his curiosity piqued.

"Ohh, well, our Yoon Seok-Young here likes a girl…," Woo Bin grinned like the Cheshire Cat over at Yi Jeong. "And I had a little talk with him, taught him a thing or two about women…including the Five Step Kill…"

"Ahh," Yi Jeong flashed Seok-Young a playful grin. "Yes, it never fails, Yoon Seok-Young," and he winked at the Yoon boy.

Seok-Young smiled awkwardly.

"Oh!" Yi Jeong snapped his fingers. "You should also ask your appa to borrow the motorcycle to take the girl for a ride…," he grinned deviously.

"Good thinking, Yi Jeong-ah!" Woo Bin interjected, "…Then she would have to wrap her arms tight around his waist to hold on…," he chuckled.

Seok-Young gave a nervous chuckle. "Well, I um don't have my license yet, Uncle Yi Jeong."

"Such a responsible boy," Yi Jeong replied, giving Seok-Young a clap on the back. "That's good of you, Seok-Young-ah. But you don't have much longer. You have a birthday coming up in a few months, don't you?"

"Yes, Uncle Yi Jeong, I do…"

"There you go, then. You'll be able to drive a motorbike at 16."

"Well, yes, but I don't know if her appa would want her to go on a motorcycle..."

"Hm, yes," Yi Jeong gave his chin a . "Well, just get permission. And make sure you both wear helmets. Safety is important, after all."

Seok-Young gave a short nod.


Woo Bin got a call. He nudged Seok-Young before excusing himself and walking off down the hall with the phone pressed against his ear.

Yi Jeong and Seok-Young continued walking together toward the waiting room of the maternity ward.

"So, did you tell this girl how you feel about her, Seok-Young? Did you ask her out?" Yi Jeong asked.

"Well, no, I…didn't exactly ask her out… I…don't know if her appa will allow it…," Seok-Young replied, keeping his head low and avoiding all eye contact with Yi Jeong.

Yi Jeong gave him a good-natured scoff. "Oh now, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about there. What father would not want his daughter to date Yoon Seok-Young?"

Seok-Young smiled faintly and peered over at Yi Jeong from beneath his bangs. "Kamsahamnida, Uncle Yi Jeong. That…means a lot coming from you…"

I hope you truly mean that, Uncle Yi Jeong…

And Seok-Young considered breaking the news to him right then and there. Perhaps it was a good time…

Yi Jeong gave Seok-Young's autumn locks a ruffle. "Ah, think nothing of it. You're a good boy, Seok-Young. And I'm sure any father would be lucky to have you as a future son-in-law…," Yi Jeong added with a mischievous grin.

"Well, it's not to that point, Uncle Yi Jeong…but I'm…happy you think so…"

Yi Jeong smiled and patted him on the back. "Of course I do."

Seok-Young took a deep breath and prepared to speak, but they had arrived at Ga Eul's room and Yi Jeong excused himself. Seok-Young gave a short bow and then meandered back down the hall.


Jan Di approached the hospital's nicest private room, complete with a luxurious bed, plush couch, large windows—and with an excellent view of the city below. Joon Pyo had insisted upon having it for Alex, and no one would dare deny the great Goo Joon Pyo…

It was—and always had been—only the absolute best for Goo Joon Pyo and his family. Joon Pyo had remained as privileged as ever, but now he was using his wealth and influence for others, for his family. Jan Di recalled how concerned Joon Pyo had been when Alex came into the hospital in labor the day before, despite having already been through the process twice. Jan Di had long since discovered the tender-hearted boy beneath the spoiled rich kid, and she had to admit that it warmed her heart to see how loving Goo Joon Pyo was toward his family.

When Jan Di arrived, Joon Pyo was at Alex's side, and they were bickering back and forth about something. But it was more banter than bicker—the two always behaved thus—and it was more like their way of expressing their love for each other. Jan Di suddenly got a mental image of them as a sweet yet crotchety old couple…

And Jan Di paused outside the door to observe their interaction. Joon Pyo had just called Alex annoying and told her to stop complaining. Alex scowled at Joon Pyo and looked away. She folded her arms across her pregnant belly—that did not actually seem so large to Jan Di—and suggested that he just leave.

But then Joon Pyo suddenly leaned down to peck her on the cheek. The gesture was decidedly sweet and almost boyish. The corners of Alex's pretty mouth tilted upright, and she turned to look at him again. They simply gazed into one another's eyes for a moment and whispered something Jan Di couldn't quite catch, but she almost hated to ruin the tender moment.

Jan Di smiled and—sticking her hands into the pockets of her lab coat—walked in. And she brightly greeted the couple.

"How are you doing, Alex?" Jan Di asked. Despite being pregnant and lying in a hospital bed, Jan Di had to admit that Alex looked absolutely radiant—as usual.

"Oh, Jan Di! Hello!" Alex exclaimed, smiling at her.

Jan Di returned the smile. "Hello, Alex," and she went to Alex's side. "Are you experiencing any discomfort?"

Alex pondered for a moment. "Just a little… But, do you mean due to the contractions or my husband?"

"Ya!" Joon Pyo shouted out.

Alex smirked over at him.

"Well, if it is the contractions, then I can help with that, but I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done about Goo Joon Pyo…," Jan Di grinned. And she and Alex shared a laugh. Joon Pyo got all worked up again for a moment, but then he softened.


Just then, Dr. Jang walked into the room.

"What's he doing here?" Joon Pyo demanded, glowering over at Dr. Jang.

"He's just here to help, Goo Joon Pyo," Jan Di replied.

"No, not him," Joon Pyo immediately responded.

"Goo Joon Pyo…," Jan Di calmly began, "I'm going to be delivering Ga Eul's baby soon, and once she is dilated a few more centimeters…I'll need to be in there. I can't really go back and forth."

Alex looked up at Joon Pyo. He had his hand firmly upon her shoulder; she could feel the tension radiating from his body to hers, as he clutched her shoulder tighter.

"It is fine, Joon Pyo," Alex looked into his burning eyes. And she placed her hand upon the one he had perched upon her shoulder. "It's OK, honey…," Alex whispered.

Joon Pyo softened ever so slightly, and for a moment, it appeared as though Joon Pyo would give in. But instead he responded, "Absolutely not. I demand to have someone else."

Dr. Jang nodded in understanding. "Well, why don't you deliver Mrs. Goo's baby, Jan Di? And when Ga Eul is ready to deliver I will take care of her if you aren't finished here."

Jan Di looked to Joon Pyo, and he nodded in agreement. Then, Jan Di turned back to Dr. Jang. "Thank you, Seonsaengnim," she said. Dr. Jang nodded and his heel and walked out of the room.


"Joon Pyo, why?" Jan Di asked of him.

"You know why…," he responded in a low tone, without looking at her.

And Jan Di did. Joon Pyo had never truly forgiven Dr. Jang for the advances he had made—well, nearly made—toward her while Ji Hoo was away. Jan Di felt badly that Joon Pyo had yet to move past it and forgive Dr. Jang for his near indiscretion, even though Ji Hoo had—at least she was fairly certain he had.

...

Suddenly, Alex began huffing and puffing through a contraction—they were coming more quickly now—and she squeezed Joon Pyo's hand tightly.

"Just keep breathing," he instructed, as he held her hand.

...

Between contractions, Joon Pyo and Alex began to reminisce about their other two children being born. Joon Pyo recalled every last detail, though he had nearly missed Ju-Mi's birth, as he was away on business at the time.

The birth of their first child, Jun-Seo, brought about feelings Joon Pyo had never experienced before in his life, and nothing could even come close to comparing to it. He'd been simultaneously exhilarated and terrified…

"At least you were a bit smarter about it this time…," Joon Pyo muttered.

Alex tightened ; she crossed her arms again. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Have you forgotten how our first-born son was nearly born in the helicopter because of your stubbornness?"

Alex scoffed but then smiled at the fond memory. "How could I possibly forget?"

Joon Pyo was also taken back to that time… He and Alex had been in a business meeting because the impossible woman refused to take any time off until the last possible moment. And it did come down to that…


Nearly 13 Years Ago…

Alex stood in the conference room of a Seoul hotel, giving a presentation. "And for my last point…," Alex began, and then she suddenly hunched over with a groan, clutching at the podium in front of her.

Joon Pyo stood immediately from his nearby seat and went to her side. "Alex, what's wrong?!" he demanded, as he supported her.

"It's…nothing…," she said, through short quick puffs of air. She clenched her eyes shut for a moment and then stood fully with Joon Pyo's assistance.

"Joon Pyo, I'm fine. Please sit back down," she waved him off.

"What?! No! Alex, I think you're going to have the baby... We need to go to the hospital!" And he began to guide her by the shoulders toward the door.

"No…it's OK. I'm almost done here. We have time." She moved away from him and went back toward the podium.

"Don't be a babo, Alex!" He caught her by the wrist.

She frowned at him. "I need to finish this…it's important…there's still time…," she spoke in an insistent whisper. Alex slipped out of his grasp, smoothed her skirt and turned back to the audience—that was now staring at her wide-eyed.

"Please forgive me," she gave a short bow to the crowd. "So, my last point is this…," and she hunched over once again, still attempting to get out her last point through labored breaths. Several audience members had stood and were approaching her now, urging for her to finish the presentation at a later time.

"Oh no...," she uttered.

It was then that Joon Pyo and Alex simultaneously realized that her water had broken…

"OK, that's it. Come on, we're going!" Joon Pyo commanded, and he lifted her into his arms. Joon Pyo carried her out of the room, bridal style, but not before Alex hammered her point home to the group.

"We'll fax you the rest of the figures!" she called out, as Joon Pyo carried her off.


The Present…

Unable to withstand her curiosity any longer, Yeong-Hui suggested to Eun-Jeong that they take a walk together to grab a drink from the vending machine. Eun-Jeong was wary of the sparkle in Yeong-Hui's eye, but she agreed. And Yeong-Hui pulled her sibling from the room by the arm.

The sisters walked together down the hallway of the maternity ward, arms linked. For a few brief minutes there was silence between them, until Yeong-Hui's patience reached its limit, "OK, spill…"

"Spill what?" Eun-Jeong made her best attempt at playing dumb, but she was a horrible actress.

"I know something happened...and I have a feeling it involved Seok-Young Oppa…"

"Wh-what? What are you talking about, Yeong-Hui-ah?" Eun-Jeong stuttered. She glanced away, as she felt her cheeks heat up.

"You know, I had a little talk with Oppa a couple weeks ago about you…," Yeong-Hui admitted.

"You what?!" Eun-Jeong's eyes shot to Yeong-Hui.

"Yes, I warned him about hurting you…and he told me that he had something to say to you that he thought would make you happy… But then it seemed like nothing happened between you two…and you were all depressed… I was actually gearing up to tell Oppa off again because I thought he'd hurt you yet again… But now it seems like maybe something happened…so, did it?" Yeong-Hui raised a brow at her twin.

Eun-Jeong looked away again. She smiled to herself and bit her lip lightly. "Well…I really shouldn't say…"

"Come on, I'm dying here, Eun-Jeong-ah!" Yeong-Hui tugged on her arm as they walked. "…I'm going to find out anyway, you know…," she added in a shrewd tone.

Eun-Jeong gaped at Yeong-Hui. Then, she returned her eyes forward and continued walking.

"I told you that you can't hide anything from me, So Eun-Jeong, so you might as well just spill!"

Eun-Jeong sighed and opened to speak, but before anything could come out, the girls turned a corner and nearly collided with Seok-Young.

"O-o-ppa…," Eun-Jeong stammered, her cheeks growing red as cherries.

"Eun-Jeong-ah…," he muttered, stuffing his hands into his pockets. His cheeks were also slightly flushed.

"Annyeong…," Seok-Young said.

"Annyeong, Oppa…"

"Have you eaten?" he asked.

"Mm," she replied. "You, Oppa?"

"Yes."

The two stared at each other—rather stupidly—and Yeong-Hui suspected they had forgotten she was there entirely.

Yeong-Hui smiled to herself. You two are so obvious… You might as well be wearing matching t-shirts and carrying a big banner…

It was a wonder everyone didn't know by now…


After the awkward scene, Yeong-Hui and Eun-Jeong parted with Seok-Young and made their way to the vending area. Away from their family, Yeong-Hui questioned Eun-Jeong again.

"OK, OK…we…kissed…," Eun-Jeong whispered in a giddy manner.

Yeong-Hui shrieked, "I knew something happened!" and she embraced Eun-Jeong.

Eun-Jeong hugged her back. "But you can't say anything to anyone…," she urged.

Yeong-Hui pulled away, still holding onto Eun-Jeong's arms. "Why? Aren't you two going to date?"

"Well, I'd like to…and I think Oppa wants to…, but I really need to talk to Oppa about it. I don't know if he wants others to know yet… And we should probably get permission from Appa…"

Yeong-Hui nodded. "That's a good idea."

"Yeong-Hui-ah, do you think Appa will let me date Seok-Young Oppa?"

Yeong-Hui paused to consider. "…I don't know, Eun-Jeong-ah. I mean, Appa loves Seok-Young, but you know how he is…"

Eun-Jeong released a heavy sigh. "Yeah, I know…"

"But maybe Eomma can help…"


Jan Di prepared to deliver Alex and Joon Pyo's baby. She stepped out to briefly consult with Dr. Jang about Ga Eul's history, in case he needed to deliver the fifth So child.

"And I'm sorry, Seonsaengnim, about Goo Joon Pyo."

"It's fine, Kiddo. I get it."

Jan Di sighed and shook her head. "Aigoo, he sure knows how to hold a grudge…"

Dr. Jang scoffed. "Well, I guess he has a pretty good reason...but it's funny that he's the one holding the grudge…"

Jan Di released a slow burst of air.

Just then, Seok-Young and Mee-Yon approached from down the hall.

"Eomma!" Mee-Yon called out and jogged up to Jan Di, with Seok-Young sauntering behind.

Jan Di hugged Mee-Yon and then Seok-Young when he arrived. "Seonsaengnim, you remember my children, Yoon Seok-Young and Yoon Mee-Yon, right? They have grown up quite a bit," Jan Di spoke proudly, with a hint of sentimentality to her voice. "Seok-Young, Mee-Yon, this is Dr. Jang. You met him when you were very young. Dr. Jang was my teacher during my internship and residency," Jan Di said.

The two nodded and bowed before him.

"It's a pleasure to see you both again," Dr. Jang said to the children.

Seok-Young and Mee-Yon bowed again. Dr. Jang looked between Seok-Young and Mee-Yon. "Well, you're certainly the spitting image of your father," he spoke of Seok-Young, "But, you have a bit of your mother mixed in there, too…"

Seok-Young gave a polite nod.

Then, Dr. Jang turned to Mee-Yon. "And you've grown into quite a beautiful young lady, Yoon Mee-Yon, like your eomma..."

Mee-Yon gave a faint smile and bowed again, "Kamsahamnida."

Jan Di cleared . "Well, Eomma has to go deliver Aunt Alex and Uncle Joon Pyo's baby now, so you two run along…"

Mee-Yon and Seok-Young nodded. They bid goodbye to Dr. Jang and Jan Di and headed back down the hall.

Dr. Jang smiled at Jan Di, as she watched the two walk away. "They're good kids…," he said.

"Yes, they certainly are. Ji Hoo and I are very lucky," Jan Di said.

Dr. Jang nodded.

"…Well, I better go, Seonsaengnim…"

They exchanged a bow, and Jan Di returned to Alex's room.


Jan Di put on her gown, cap, mask, and gloves in preparation for the delivery. Two nurses entered the room to assist, greeting Jan Di with a bow upon arrival.

"Are you ready, Alex?" Jan Di asked.

Alex glanced to Joon Pyo—who had insisted upon being present during the delivery. He had been present for his other two children's births, as well. Joon Pyo's desire to be in the delivery room had shocked Alex and Jan Di. It was not exceedingly common for fathers-to-be to do so, and both Jan Di and Alex had thought it would freak Joon Pyo out a little bit—well, a lot. But surprisingly, he'd done well and particularly after going through it the first time.

Alex took hold of Joon Pyo's hand, turned back to Jan Di, and indicated that she was ready. And Jan Di and the nurses instructed Alex on when to push. Alex began to push, while squeezing Joon Pyo's hand tightly, shutting her eyes, and grunting. Joon Pyo intermittently dabbed the sweat from Alex's brow with his handkerchief.


The process proceeded quickly, but when Jan Di should have been seeing the baby's head, she was not. One of the nurses turned to Jan Di. "Dr. Yoon, I think the baby is breech…"

And Jan Di nodded. "I'll try an external cephalic version."

The nurse nodded. "Yes, Seonsaengnim."

Joon Pyo's head snapped toward Jan Di; their eyes met—and she could see fear behind them.

"It's OK. I'm just going to try to turn the baby in the right direction…," Jan Di calmly informed the worried parents-to-be.

Alex looked between Joon Pyo and Jan Di. "Ok," Alex shook her head up and down.

Joon Pyo took a slow, shaky breath, "Geum Jan Di…" His eyes bore into her, and she knew he was counting on her.

Don't worry, Goo Joon Pyo…, her eyes spoke for her, and somehow he seemed to understand.

Jan Di placed her hands upon Alex's abdomen and began to attempt to turn the infant in the right direction.

Jan Di was immensely relieved that she was able to maneuver the fetus into the correct position, and after nearly an hour of labored pushing and breathing, the child began to emerge.

Jan Di's eyes crinkled and the corners of curved upright beneath her surgical mask, as she finally pulled out the wailing baby. "It's a boy," she announced, as she was handed the clamp to snip the umbilical cord.

Jan Di watched Alex's eyes moisten, and she choked out a relieved sob. Joon Pyo too was very near tears. "Gomawo, Geum Jan Di…," Joon Pyo said.

Jan Di smiled and nodded, as she handed the tiny newborn to an exhausted, yet peaceful-looking Alex. Alex cradled her son, while Joon Pyo d the boy's dark fuzz. And they exchanged an affectionate look.

"Congratulations, you two! Does he have a name yet?" Jan Di asked.

"Yes, we've decided on one," Alex replied, and she turned their son over to his awaiting father. Joon Pyo proudly took his brand new son in his arms. "Geum Jan Di, meet Goo Jong-Su."


Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong had managed to slip away from the group, while they waited for the Goo child to be born, and they had discovered a stairwell leading to an outdoor balcony. There, they decided to broach the subject of their relationship

Seok-Young suggested that they not tell everyone about them just yet, and without thinking Eun-Jeong was nodding along, agreeing with him.

After a moment, Eun-Jeong stopped to consider it further. "But why do you want to keep it a secret, Oppa?" she asked, suddenly fearing he might be having second thoughts about the whole thing.

He shoved his hands into his pockets and turned from her, looking out over the balcony onto the parking lot below. "Well, for several reasons… I do want to go about this the right way, and I fear that I already messed that up…"

"No, you didn't, Oppa…," she shook her head. In fact, it was really romantic…

"Well, I feel like I did. I think I handled it all wrong… I should have asked your appa for permission first. And I feel like we can't really date until I turn 16, anyway…" Seok-Young knew he would feel completely stupid having Secretary Park drive them around on their dates.

Eun-Jeong nodded.

"I'm not really looking forward to everyone's judgments and the drama it may cause…but don't worry, I'm not going to be a coward…," Seok-Young assured.

Eun-Jeong sighed. "I think you're overthinking it a bit, Oppa. Do you really think it will be so bad? What are you imagining it's going to be like? …Do you think it'll be like Romeo & Juliet when they all find out—with our families warring to keep us apart...?" she smirked, hoping that humor might alleviate some of his concerns. They'd both been required to read the tragic love story for an English literature class.

Seok-Young gave a short laugh—that infectious one that Eun-Jeong couldn't seem to get enough of...

"Well, I don't think it'll be quite that dramatic," he grinned at her, "I doubt they will be warring over it."

Eun-Jeong chuckled and continued on, hoping to further lighten the mood—and she also couldn't help making fun of him a little… She placed a finger to her dimpled chin. "Well, I don't know, Oppa…you may have a point there about the drama…hmm…," and then she mock-gasped, "Oh!"

He looked at her curiously.

"What if your appa and my appa have some kind of duel over our fates…?" Eun-Jeong exclaimed.

Seok-Young raised a brow. "A duel?" he chuckled. "You're so funny, Eun-Jeong-ah…" Then, Seok-Young cast his eyes skyward. "I really cannot picture our appas dueling…"

Eun-Jeong giggled at the imagery.

"What century are you living in, anyway, So Eun-Jeong?" he teased, turning back to her and giving her hair a tousle. He certainly had to pay her back a little for her teasing with a helping of his own.

Eun-Jeong's mouth hung open slightly. She poked out her lip—only pretending to sulk—and she gave him a light shove. But he caught her wrist and pulled her into his chest. Eun-Jeong felt her cheeks warm up.

Seok-Young released a tender sigh, "You're so cute, Eun-Jeong-ah…what am I to do…?" he whispered and placed a soft kiss upon the top of her head. She felt the blush deepen. Then, he exhaled lightly, as he held her tighter.

"But everyone is going to find out eventually, so maybe we should just get it over with…," he said.

Eun-Jeong pulled back from her state of bliss, suddenly feeling rather bad. "Oppa, I do have a confession to make… My eomma actually knows that I like you… I talked to her about it…"

"Oh?"

"Yes, and I think she's suspicious, but she doesn't know for sure that anything has happened between us… And I'm pretty sure my appa knows nothing about it at all…"

Seok-Young nodded. It was pretty clear that his uncle Yi Jeong was not aware of the situation, or he certainly would not have been giving him tips before…

"It's OK. I talked to my appa about you, too, without mentioning your name…"

Eun-Jeong nodded.

"And Yeong-Hui knows, too, right?" Seok-Young added.

Eun-Jeong lowered her head. "Yes," she mumbled and then looked up at him, "…but she just figured it out on her own from observing us, Oppa! I didn't tell her originally! I did finally confirm it after she figured it out…and I sort of…told her that we…k-kissed… But just because she wouldn't leave me alone; I'm so sorry, Oppa! Forgive me!" and she bowed low before him.

Seok-Young chuckled. "It's OK, Eun-Jeong-ah," he placed a finger beneath her chin to raise her head. And they stared into each other's eyes.

"But you're right, Oppa. We should tell them."

"I should tell them," he corrected. "I need to just it up and be a man."

A wide smile crossed Eun-Jeong's lips. "You're so noble, Oppa," she spoke adoringly.

He smiled faintly and took a step forward, placing his hands upon her shoulders. "And I want to do right by you, Eun-Jeong-ah…"

Eun-Jeong smiled affectionately at him.

My prince…

Seok-Young grinned. "I just hope your appa doesn't kill me when he finds out I kissed you before asking his permission to date you…"

Eun-Jeong pursed her lips and nodded. "Well, that is a very real possibility, Oppa."

Seok-Young's brow furrowed, and Eun-Jeong chuckled. "Seriously, though, I am a bit worried about you, Oppa. Perhaps you shouldn't tell him that…," and she paused to reflect, feeling suddenly awful about suggesting keeping a secret from her father, "Or…at least take your eomma along to protect you when you tell him!" she decided to ease the tension with humor once again.

And they both laughed at her suggestion. After all, each member of F4 had a story about how tough Jan Di was...

"Oh yes, I'd seem very manly if I were hiding behind my mommy while I asked your dad for permission to date you," he smirked.

Eun-Jeong burst out laughing at the visual. Just picturing Seok-Young cowering behind her aunt Jan Di was sending her into a fit of giggles. It would be extremely entertaining to watch… But then again, her Seok-Young Oppa was far too strong and brave for that…

Perhaps she was a bit biased, but she had this vision of him in her head as some kind of prince riding up on a white horse to take her away to some beautiful and faraway land… And it wasn't so far-fetched—he was an accomplished rider, after all… She inadvertently released a dreamy sigh…

"Well, it might not help anyway. Appa might just sick Uncle Woo Bin on you when your eomma is not around…," she further teased. They both knew that no member of F4 would ever harm a hair on Seok-Young's head, but they still might give him a good, long—bone-chilling—talking to…

Seok-Young tightened his mouth. "Nah, Uncle Woo Bin and I are tight..."

Eun-Jeong looked at him curiously. "Eh?"

"Yes, we had a long talk one day, and we bonded..."

"You bonded? A long talk…, what about?"

"That's between men…," Seok-Young winked at her.

Eun-Jeong rolled her eyes, "Oh, one of those, huh? …You know, I'm surprised at you, Oppa. You don't seem like the macho male type…"

Seok-Young seemed hurt by her statement.

Sensing she'd wounded his male pride, she added, "Not that I don't think you're manly… It's just that you're more…sweet and gentle…"

Seok-Young folded his arms and raised a brow. She could tell she was digging herself into some kind of hole.

"You know, you're artistic and sensitive… And girls like that…"

He raised a brow, as he considered showing her just how manly he could be, but he thought better of it...

"But you know what I mean, Oppa!" she chuckled and gave him another light shove. "So, come on…you really won't tell me what you talked about with Uncle Woo Bin?"

Seok-Young shook his head and then leaned in close. Eun-Jeong took a step back out of shyness. "Sorry, no, it's an F4 secret…" And he didn't want to lose his ace if he ever needed it…

"F4 again?" Eun-Jeong groaned. "Come on, tell me, Oppa!" she pleaded, but Seok-Young was holding firm.

"You know, I talked to your appa and Uncle Woo Bin a little while ago about the girl I like…," he began, changing the subject, "I almost told him then, but I…didn't get the chance…" Or, chickened out… "But he actually said that a father would be lucky to have his daughter date me…"

"Really?" she looked up at him.

Seok-Young nodded. "Yes, but he didn't know that you were the one I was talking about. And I have a feeling he may change his tune when he finds out that little detail…"

Eun-Jeong shook her head. "No, actually I think he'll be happy. I think they all will… Yeong-Hui was—that is, after she gave up the notion of pounding you for hurting me…" Eun-Jeong chuckled, and Seok-Young's mouth creased slightly.

"I mean, our families are so close, right?" Eun-Jeong added. "Why wouldn't they be happy for us? I mean, they might be weirded out a little at first, but they'll get used to the idea…"

"I hope you're right, Eun-Jeong-ah…I hope you're right…"


Jan Di pulled down her mask, discarded her gloves, and began to wash up. But she barely had time to breathe before she received an emergency page. Jan Di rushed to Ga Eul's room, three doors down.

A team of nurses was gathered around Ga Eul, who had lost consciousness. Jan Di's eyes shot to the monitor she was hooked up to. Her vitals were not the strongest, but Jan Di was immensely relieved that she was breathing and her heart was beating.

Dr. Jang was there, as was Yi Jeong, who had become frantic and refused to leave the room, despite the staff vehemently insisting that he do so.

"What happened?!" Jan Di demanded, still catching her breath. She noticed that the bottom of Ga Eul's gown was darkened red. The amount of blood pooled there terrified Jan Di.

Everything seemed fine before…

"Seonsaengnim…?" Jan Di began.

"She started having severe abdominal pain a few minutes ago and then bleeding. I believe the amniotic sac may have ruptured, and—"

Jan Di's lips parted, and she felt her stomach drop out. "Placental abruption...?" she uttered.

Dr. Jang clenched his jaw. "Yes, I believe so. And the fetus is lacking sufficient oxygen, so you better page your husband right away."

Jan Di nodded and pulled out her pager. Her fingers flew across the keys, "Done." And she turned to Yi Jeong, who had gone pale and deathly silent. "Yi Jeong Sunbae, please—" Jan Di began.

Yi Jeong flinched at the sound of her voice. He rushed to Jan Di and grasped onto her shoulders. "Jan Di-yah, what's going on?!" he inadvertently began shaking her.

Jan Di swallowed hard and looked into her dear friend and sunbae's eyes—eyes dark with despair—and she did her best to remain composed. "We need to take Ga Eul for an emergency C-section, Sunbae...," Jan Di said, as steady as she could.

"What?! But everything was fine before!" he spoke helplessly.

Jan Di's brow furrowed and they exchanged a pained look. "I know, Sunbae. It's called a placental abruption, and it can happen very suddenly… I don't have time to explain, but please try not to worry too much… Ji Hoo is going to take care of Ga Eul."

Yi Jeong released Jan Di's shoulders and turned from her, clutching at his forehead and fighting back tears.

"Sunbae, we need to take her down to surgery immediately," Jan Di spoke sullenly. Yi Jeong looked to Jan Di and clenched his jaw. He let out a low growl in his throat, almost like a frightened animal. He looked to his wife lying unconscious in the bed, hooked up to a monitor and IV and wearing an oxygen mask. She looked so feeble that it shattered his heart into a million tiny pieces.

Yi Jeong went to Ga Eul. He leaned down to place a burning kiss upon her forehead, and then he took one of her delicate hands between both of his and simply stared down at her.

"Jan Di-yah… Will she…be alright?" Yi Jeong muttered, his voice wavering.

"We're going to do everything we can…," Jan Di stated in a somber tone. She absolutely despised offering such a weak reassurance—and she desperately wanted to console Yi Jeong—but it was what she had always been taught in medical school, to never offer false hope…

"That's not good enough, Jan Di!" Yi Jeong shouted back.

Jan Di flinched and then approached Yi Jeong at the bedside. "Sunbae…," she spoke completely serious and looked into his eyes, "Ji Hoo and I love Ga Eul. We're not going to just let her go… Please, just trust in us…," Jan Di uttered. "Now, we need to take her…," Jan Di spoke more steadily.

Yi Jeong stared down at Ga Eul and sadly nodded. He took a last, longing look at his wife before she was placed upon a stretcher by two nurses and wheeled out. Jan Di and Dr. Jang quickly followed.


Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young made their way back down the hallway of the maternity ward together—their arms lightly brushing as they walked. They had just come back from visiting Goo Jong-Su at the nursery.

Eun-Jeong glanced down at Seok-Young's hand, and she felt the incredible urge to slip her hand into his, only there were others around. But then, their fingertips touched…. And for those brief few seconds, Eun-Jeong felt a powerful electrical pulse shooting throughout her entire body.

...

Then, Eun-Jeong suddenly stopped short—as if she'd slammed into a brick wall—when she saw her mother being rushed out of her room on a gurney, unconscious and with an oxygen mask over . Two nurses were pushing the gurney.

"Eomma…," Eun-Jeong muttered shakily. What's…going on…?

Seok-Young stopped, too, and he looked between the scene before them and Eun-Jeong. Eun Jeong and Seok-Young saw Jan Di and Dr. Jang follow the stretcher out of the room. And then they glanced to the other end of the hall when they heard Ji Hoo approach. And they just stood there in the hallway, frozen and watching from a distance.

Ji Hoo rushed to Jan Di and took hold of her arms. And she explained the situation.

"Ji Hoo…," she uttered—her lip trembled slightly and her eyes had begun to moisten, despite her best attempts at remaining composed and professional.

Ji Hoo nodded. "I know. It's OK, my love; don't worry…" Jan Di nodded, and understanding washed over them like a cool wave. Ji Hoo placed a hand behind Jan Di's head and pressed a quick kiss to her forehead before heading off after the stretcher.


Then, the kids saw Eun-Jeong's father being led from her mother's room. Yi Jeong pulled away from the nurse who had been escorting him. He stumbled over to the opposite wall. He leaned heavily against it and just stared out like a zombie.

Eun-Jeong's brow wrinkled and she felt the tears begin to well. She took a few steps toward her father.

"A-a-ppa…," she called out to him—but her voice was barely a whisper. Yi Jeong didn't respond. In fact, he didn't even seem to register his daughter's presence.

Seok-Young went to Eun-Jeong's side and placed a hand upon her shoulder. Eun-Jeong stepped away from him and slowly approached her weary and distraught-looking father again, while Seok-Young looked on, anguished for her.

Eun-Jeong continued to stagger toward her father, like a baby deer learning how to walk. And Seok-Young followed behind her, prepared to catch her if she fell—for she didn't appear at all stable…

And all of a sudden, Yi Jeong rushed off on Eun-Jeong, without even a glance to her. Eun-Jeong watched her father run off, with fresh tears in her eyes.


Yi Jeong had caught sight of Ji Hoo down the hall, and he ran after him. Once he caught up, he captured Ji Hoo by the arms and turned him around to face him. "Ji Hoo, you have to do something!" he tugged on the lapels of Ji Hoo's lab coat, with more force than he realized. Tears were clinging at the corners of Yi Jeong's reddened eyes.

"I…I can't lose her, Ji Hoo!" Yi Jeong had become physically unstable, and Ji Hoo was practically supporting him—barely keeping him upright.

Having heard the commotion, Woo Bin came around the corner and looked on with concern.

"I know, Yi Jeong-ah. You won't. Everything is going to be fine," Ji Hoo assured, placing his hands briefly upon Yi Jeong's shoulders and giving them a squeeze before turning to rush off. And in a white blur, Ji Hoo was gone.

Woo Bin took over for Ji Hoo, putting an arm around Yi Jeong and leading him off.


Tears trickled down Eun-Jeong's cheeks in a small spring, and she began to wobble. She stumbled, and Seok-Young was at her side in an instant. Her small body fell against his slightly, and he caught her. Then, he led her—in an almost trance-like state—to a nearby bench and sat her down. He sat down beside her and placed a tender hand upon her shoulder.

She sniffled and turned to him with moistened dark brown orbs. "Oppa…Oppa… Something…is wrong with my eomma and the baby…," she muttered miserably.

"I know, Eun-Jeong-ah…," he replied desolately.

"But don't worry," he said, in a more hopeful tone, as he began caressing her shoulder lightly with his thumb. "It's my appa in there with her. My appa is the best there is, and he loves your eomma like a sister. He would never let anything happen to her. She's in the best possible hands she could be in, and she's going to be just fine," Seok-Young spoke with complete confidence.

"Yes, b-but…what if…what if…it's out of Uncle Ji Hoo's hands…what if my eomma or the baby…what if she…," Eun-Jeong choked out the words, "…dies…" Eun-Jeong could barely get the word out, and once she did she dropped her head and her body became completely devastated by sobs.

Seok-Young kneeled down on the floor before her, placing one hand on each side of her on the bench. Then, he gently took both of her hands in his and began them. "Look at me, Eun-Jeong-ah…"

She slowly raised her head to look down into his eyes.

"Your eomma is not going to die. I promise you. My appa won't let that happen," Seouk-Young said with certainty.

Eun-Jeong stared at Seok-Young for a moment; she sniffled and then nodded slowly. Seok-Young broke his grasp on her hands to wipe the tears away with his thumbs. Then, he sat down beside her and and pulled her into his embrace. He d her hair, as she continued to cry against his chest.

Seok-Young truly believed in his father's abilities, but he also knew that sometimes terrible things just happen… And he truly, desperately hoped and prayed that he could keep the promise he'd made to her…

Appa, please…take care of her… I believe in you, Appa, hwaiting!


When she was cried out, Seok-Young led Eun-Jeong back to the waiting room. The others had been in and out to visit with the Goos and to see the new baby. But now, nearly everyone was gathered in the waiting room, aside from Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Yi Jeong. Joon Pyo was also missing, for he was with Alex, and Ae-Jeong had remained at home with the nanny.

When the two walked in, it was clear to them that the others had all heard the news, for a thick, dark cloud hung over the room.

Eun-Jeong parted with Seok-Young and went over to Yeong-Hui. They exchanged a sympathetic look, and Eun-Jeong took a seat in the vinyl chair between Yeong-Hui and Jae-Jin.

"Noona, are you alright?" Jae-Jin asked. Eun-Jeong said nothing but simply stared out glassy-eyed, and Jae-Jin put an arm around her shoulders.

Seok-Young took a seat across the room, next to Jun-Seo and Il-Hun, and they all sat there in silence, praying silently for Ga Eul. Seok-Young kept glancing over at Eun-Jeong, who was off in a daze and was now holding hands with Yeong-Hui.

Eun-Jeong's mind was completely adrift… She was focused upon her mother, but she suddenly began to wonder where her father had gone off to, and she grew worried about him, too...

She ultimately decided to go and look for him, but just as she prepared to stand, Yi Jeong ambled into the room.

"Appa!" the three of four So children spoke in unison, and he turned silently to look at them.

They all exchanged a disheartened glance, and the children made room for their father. Jae-Jin moved over, and Eun-Jeong helped Yi Jeong to sit—and he practically collapsed into the chair between her and Yeong-Hui.

Yi Jeong hunched over slightly and buried his face in his hands, rubbing his forehead in a rough, brisk fashion. He dropped his hands and slapped them against his knees. As the fine hands of So Yi Jeong rested upon his knees, Eun-Jeong placed her smaller one over his. Then, the girls each rested a twin head upon their father's shoulders.


Moments Later…

Dr. Jang stepped into the operating room in full surgical attire, as Ga Eul was prepped for surgery.

"Dr. Jang…?" Ji Hoo questioned.

"Dr. Yoon, I'm going to assist you."

Ji Hoo nodded.

As Ji Hoo prepared to make the incision, his head snapped to the monitor that had begun to emit a high-pitched scream. He studied it.

Heart rate increasing… Blood pressure dropping… And then he looked back to Ga Eul. She's hemorrhaging... No…

Ji Hoo began to hear a low ringing in his ears and his vision became fuzzy… He was suddenly having a horrific flashback, and his mind instantly jumped back 16 years—to the day his son was born.

Ji Hoo would never forget that wonderful, awful day as long as he lived—the day that was simultaneously the best day of his life and nearly his destruction…

For several agonizing minutes, Jan Di had been dead, and—unable to cope with it—Ji Hoo's fragile mind had offered him solace in a retreat from reality. And he had gone into shock. He still wasn't sure what would have become of him if he'd lost her that day…

But then when he finally came to—as if by some miracle—Jan Di was alive, and he had a beautiful, perfect son…


But now Ga Eul was in a very similar situation. Only this time, the baby—not yet safely retrieved from the womb—was also in imminent danger…

"Dr. Yoon…Dr. Yoon," he could barely hear Dr. Jang calling him. Drips of sweat beaded upon Ji Hoo's forehead, which a surgical assistant immediately wiped away for him.

"Seonsaengnims…what should we do…?" a member of the team asked, while Ji Hoo remained momentarily frozen. Ji Hoo had gone to a dark place once again, but he could not—would not—allow himself to succumb to the inner demons that were currently ravaging him.

"Ji Hoo, I can't lose her!" he heard Yi Jeong's voice clear as a bell in his head. And Ji Hoo knew he would never forgive himself if he allowed anything to happen to Ga Eul or the baby…

"Don't lose it on me here, Dr. Yoon!" Dr. Jang barked at him. "I need your help. And Jan Di is depending on you… Now, she is your patient. You need to give the orders…"

Another member of the surgical team turned to Ji Hoo. "Dr. Yoon, forgive me, but I think we may have to make a decision here… No matter what we do, one of their lives is going to be in danger. Do we risk the mother or the fetus? What should we do? Who do we choose?!"

It was as if a light switch had been flipped. And Ji Hoo snapped back to reality. Dr. Jang and Ji Hoo looked between each other.

"No, that's unacceptable," Ji Hoo asserted. "I won't make that choice. I choose them both. We're going to save them both!"

And Ji Hoo began spouting off his instructions: to notify the transfusion unit, to place an intravenous line, to begin fluid resuscitation…and then, Ji Hoo made the incision…


The waiting seemed interminable…

All any of the group could do was sit there silently in the waiting room, hoping, praying, and listening to the slow, torturous ticking of the clock on the wall… All their thoughts were upon Ga Eul… Seok-Young kept glancing over at Eun-Jeong, but she never looked back—she seemed to be completely off in another world…


Several Hours Later…

Ji Hoo and Dr. Jang tossed their surgical attire and stepped out into the fluorescent lighted hall. Jan Di was pacing in the hallway outside of the operating room. Ji Hoo and Jan Di locked eyes, and he made his way to her. Jan Di rushed to meet him halfway, stopping a few feet in front of him.

"Ji Hoo-yah…Ga Eul…and the baby...?"

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded. "Mother and son are perfectly fine, Jan Di-yah."

Jan Di squealed and lunged at Ji Hoo, throwing her arms around his waist and burying her head into his chest. "Oh, thank goodness!"

She pulled back after a moment. Placing one hand on each side of his face, she brought him down and pressed her lips to his. "Thank you, Ji Hoo-yah! You're amazing...," her eyes shone with thankfulness.

Ji Hoo shook his head. "No need for thanks, my love. And Dr. Jang was a big part of it. He assisted me. I couldn't have done it without him," Ji Hoo tossed a look back to Dr. Jang over his shoulder.

Jan Di looked to Dr. Jang, who stood behind Ji Hoo with hands in pockets and a soft smile playing upon his lips.

Dr. Jang approached them.

"Thank you, Seonsaengnim!" Jan Di exclaimed, and he nodded.

"Your husband is being too modest. It was really mostly his doing…," Dr. Jang turned to Ji Hoo. "That was good work in there. You're a credit to the medical profession. Are you for real, Dr. Yoon? Sometimes I can hardly believe you're human…," Dr. Jang grinned.

Ji Hoo shook his head, and they clasped hands.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo hurried to tell everyone the good news. And everyone hugged all around. Seok-Young breathed a sigh of relief as he watched Eun-Jeong's face light up with pure joy.

And words could not express Eun-Jeong's relief—all of theirs. Eun-Jeong looked to Seok-Young in gratitude. He was smiling radiantly at her. All she wanted to do was to leap into his arms, but for the time being she settled for exchanging a smile and mouthing a tender, "Gomawo, Oppa…" from across the room.


Teaser for the next two chapters: The F4 daughters have a sleepover. Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong deal with the ramifications of their secrecy. And a dreamy brother-sister teen pop sensation comes to town. Seok-Young attempts to outshine a handsome, talented pop star in both music and charm…