Heartthrobs Part I

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

Aidan surveyed the roaring crowd and then turned back to face Eun-Jeong. He approached her again and bowed, offering her his thanks and gifting her with his luminous smile. Eun-Jeong had to admit that she'd nearly forgotten about him entirely, for she was currently stupefied by the sight of Aria and Seok-Young walking hand in hand across the stage.

But Eun-Jeong forced a smile anyway, despite the sick feeling in her stomach, and she bowed silently back to Aidan. Then, Aidan gallantly offered his hand to help her off the stool. She took it, but—in her distraction over Seok-Young and Aria—her foot got tangled underneath and she tripped. Aidan caught her around the waist and steadied her. Eun-Jeong's cheeks heated in embarrassment, and she quickly glanced away, while giving him a polite thank you.


Meanwhile, Aria made her way to centerstage with Seok-Young in tow. Seok-Young's eyes shot to Eun-Jeong and Aidan, and he watched them closely. He watched Eun-Jeong trip while getting off the stool, and his lips parted in concern. He dropped Aria's hand and prepared to rush to Eun-Jeong, but then Aidan caught her. Seok-Young's eyes narrowed slightly. Though he was thankful that she didn't fall and get hurt, he was not at all fond of seeing another guy's arms around his girl.


Aidan placed a hand upon the small of Eun-Jeong's back and led her to centerstage. And the two pairs met up in the middle. The foursome stood side by side on the edge of the stage, facing the crowd. Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young looked past the siblings to each other, while Aidan and Aria beamed at the crowd and took a few more bows—obviously loving the response they were getting. And then the pop duo presented their special guests.

While standing there, Eun-Jeong took a closer look at Aria, gazing upon her as if viewing some masterpiece. Her skin appeared soft and delicate and her features were as fine as one of Appa's creations. And Eun-Jeong truly hoped Seok-Young did not take too close of a look at the two of them together, for she knew that she could never compare to such beauty—even if Oppa and others had called her beautiful before.

And Eun-Jeong had been complimented on her looks before—many times, in fact. She'd even been told that she had the face of an angel—like her father—by some adoring girls. But Eun-Jeong had never really believed in their sincerity, and she simply assumed they were trying to up to her because her father was So Yi Jeong—South Korea's famous pottery prodigy, the youngest artist to be selected by UNESCO, and inheritor of the famous Woo-Song Museum.

And Eun-Jeong had reason to be skeptical of the Shinwha girls. . .

Because Eun-Jeong and her F4 friends were revered as Shinwha royalty, she had experienced a multitude of both admiring and envious girls in the past. She'd endured false promises of friendship and had even been hurt a few times—thinking someone truly cared for her as a friend and a person, but in truth only wanted to reap the benefits of befriending an F4 daughter. And the Shinwha girls were a bit different from the Shinwha boys—namely, much more devious and prone to backstabbing.

This was one reason why the F4 girls were so close. They understood what it was like to be falsely adored. And despite being privileged, the F4 girls weren't phony. Even though they gave each other a hard time now and again, they truly cared for one another—they stuck together and would do just about anything for each other.

Yes, those were certainly big shoes of Appa's to fill—ones that Eun-Jeong never expected to actually fill. Perhaps Jae-Jin or Yeong-Hui might someday live up to Appa's reputation. After all, Jae-Jin was talented enough to take over Appa's pottery mantle, and Yeong-Hui was smart enough to be running the country someday. But as for Eun-Jeong, she knew she would never come close to Appa—in greatness or beauty. And she was fine with that.

As Eun-Jeong had told Uncle Ji Hoo before, she didn't really know what her calling was or where she fit into the So family—sometimes she felt like the black sheep, honesty—not that they'd ever shown her anything but unconditional love, despite her shortcomings.

But now, Eun-Jeong finally felt like she had a place—at Seok-Young Oppa's side. . .

And she was happy and satisfied with that. Perhaps she was completely unambitious and simpleminded, but ultimately she was happy with her life right now. For the time being, at least, all she really cared about was being with Oppa. . .


Aidan presented Eun-Jeong to the audience once more and thanked her. Then, he ushered her toward a stagehand. She shot one last look to Seok-Young before being led offstage.

And Seok-Young watched her walk away.

After descending the stairs, Eun-Jeong remained close to the stage, hugging herself and staring up intently. She watched Aria go to Aidan; he handed the mic off to her with a smile and then he stepped to the side of the stage, giving her the full spotlight.

Aria stood before the crowd now. She explained the situation with her piano player to everyone and introduced Seok-Young—who most knew already, from attending Shinwha—as her savior. She announced that he was going to fill in as her accompaniment. The crowd clapped wildly for Seok-Young. And Aria directed him to a large, white grand piano behind them.

Seok-Young walked over to the piano and took a seat upon the bench. Aria strolled up right behind him.

Placing one hand upon his shoulder and resting it there, she flipped through the sheet music to the song she wanted him to play. And she whispered something to him.

Eun-Jeong didn't like how close Aria had gotten to his face, nor the way she allowed both her hands to linger—entirely too long—upon his shoulders. Then, Eun-Jeong's overactive imagination kicked in, and her mind began to wander like a desert nomad, torturing her with thoughts like: Maybe Oppa likes her… Oppa must think she's beautiful… Does Oppa think she's more beautiful than me—probably… Maybe Oppa wishes she was his girlfriend instead… And she probably likes him, too… What if he dumps me for her?!

Eun-Jeong cast her eyes downward; she had to literally shake off these thoughts—for sanity's sake. And she told herself she was being jealous and stupid.

Oppa likes me. Oppa cares for me… I trust Oppa…

And, so what if he thinks she's attractive! Hadn't she just been thinking—only moments before—that Aidan was attractive. She had absolutely no right to be jealous—least of all after that. Was this her punishment for having those thoughts?

Eun-Jeong turned her eyes back to the stage. Aria had returned to centerstage, and Seok-Young was seated at the piano, looking to her with his fingers poised in wait. Then, she gave him a hand signal. Seok-Young wiggled his fingers in warm-up, and then they descended upon the ivories.

As Seok-Young's fingers flew over the keys, a hauntingly beautiful melody came forth. And Eun-Jeong's crazed inner thoughts were immediately silenced.

Eun-Jeong smiled softly to herself, as she remained captivated by Seok-Young's music. She always had been. So Eun-Jeong believed that—somehow—only Yoon Seok-Young could elicit such beautiful sounds from the instrument. She just knew that, were anyone else to play those same notes, it would surely not come out so utterly magnificent. And Eun-Jeong would rather listen to Seok-Young play than hear any other sound in the world.

All were silently listening to Seok-Young's opening solo, as equally entranced as Eun-Jeong. And then Aria shut her eyes and brought the mic up—to inches below her full lips—and she began to sing.

Aria's voice was as angelic as her brother's, yet higher in pitch—soprano to his tenor. Aria's voice also stirred something within Eun-Jeong, and she paid close attention to the words. Eun-Jeong glanced around briefly to the crowd—that seemed to be completely under Aria's spell now—and then she fixed her eyes upon Seok-Young.

Eun-Jeong was taking in Aria's voice, yet her eyes never left Seok-Young. She loved to watch him play, too. She loved his perfect concentration. She loved the endearing way his boyish bangs fell slightly over his eyes—hiding them and making it appear as though he could not see a thing but when in reality he could. And she loved the way he loved the keys—gently touching them and treating them as old friends.

Eun-Jeong continued to fixate upon Seok-Young—mesmerized—until she noticed the perfect pop princess strolling back over to him at the piano.

Aria took a seat on the bench next to Seok-Young—facing the audience, perpendicular to him—and crossed one slender leg over the other. Eun-Jeong's lips parted at the sight of Aria resting her back lightly against Seok-Young's arm while he played.

Eun-Jeong felt her insides twisting, as the intrusive thoughts began again… Even though she knew that it was foolish and terrible to think such thoughts, she couldn't help but worry that there could be something between Seok-Young and Aria.

She suddenly felt so possessive of Seok-Young. Perhaps Appa had been right… Perhaps she was far too attached to Seok-Young. And was she losing him already? So soon? It wasn't fair!

But the feeling of being in love was like no other; it was the most powerful feeling Eun-Jeong had every experienced in her 15 years of life. It was better than Christmas, her birthday, all her favorite foods—even Eomma's bulgogi stew—and better than everything else she liked in this world, all rolled into one… And at first, Eun-Jeong had happily embraced the euphoric feeling of love.

But that wasn't to say that love was easy—not by any means. . .

Love made her erratic. She felt as though her heart couldn't rest, even for a moment. When he was around, her heart rejoiced; when he touched her or smiled at her, it wildly attempted to escape her body, and when he wasn't around, it mourned pitifully, making her feel as though she was slowly dying inside. . .

The notion—even the slightest possibility—of losing him threatened to destory her. Seok-Young was everything to Eun-Jeong now. How had it happened so totally, so quickly, and without her knowledge? And she had to admit that it scared her. . .

Eun-Jeong knew that she couldn't lose Seok-Young; she just couldn't! Her life would feel so empty and meaningless. She wouldn't even feel like going on. . . And just the mere thought of losing him was causing Eun-Jeong to start hyperventilating.

She worked to control her rampant breathing before she went into a full-blown panic attack. It's OK; it's OK… I'm just being silly—no, completely stupid! Get it together So Eun-Jeong, you babo!

Regardless, being out with Seok-Young tonight—finally—was a dream come true, and Eun-Jeong wasn't about to let anything or anyone spoil it for her—even herself. So, Eun-Jeong forced herself to calm down and let Seok-Young's music pleasantly take her away once more.

Eun-Jeong made her way over to her group of friends, hoping for support and distraction from her crazy, jealous mind. They crowded around her, raving about how amazing the performance was and how lucky she was to get to go up there. Eun-Jeong nodded in agreement, but she was still focused upon Seok-Young. She was enjoying his performance immensely, but she would flinch every time Aria subtly touched or brushed against him.

This was really something that she needed to get under control. . .


After Seok-Young and Aria finished the song, Seok-Young stood from the piano bench. He and Aria each took a bow and exited the stage together.

"You were great out there!" Aria exclaimed to Seok-Young once backstage.

"Thank you."

"I had no idea you were so talented! Apparently, the apple does not fall from the tree…"

"What?" Seok-Young looked at her in confusion.

"Oh, it's just a saying. It means that you are a lot like your father."

Seok-Young nodded and thanked her again.

"I could use you on tour," Aria quipped with a smile. Seok-Young simply gave her a polite smile.

Then, Aidan came backstage for a costume change, and Aria approached him. "Oppa, this is Yoon Seok-Young!" she tugged excitedly on Aidan's sleeve, pulling him over to Seok-Young.

Aidan gave Seok-Young a wide smile, and he bowed deeply. "It's so nice to finally meet you, Yoon Seok-Young! And thank you for helping us out! You were great out there!"

Seok-Young nodded and returned with a polite bow. "Thank you. You, too."

"Oh! Oppa, the girl you sang to, that's Seok-Young's girlfriend."

"Really?"

Seok-Young nodded.

"She's very lovely," he replied. And Seok-Young thanked him.

"Excuse me, but I should really be getting back to her," Seok-Young said.

"Of course," Aidan nodded. And Aria took Seok-Young's hands in hers and vibrantly thanked him again.

Seok-Young gave her a nod and exited the backstage area and headed toward the main floor.


The F4 girls had separated temporarily and were scattered around the room. Eun-Jeong currently stood alone with Yeong-Hui by the punch table, looking all around for Seok-Young. He'd disappeared backstage, and then she'd gone looking for him but couldn't find him. So, she decided to remain in one spot so that he would have a better chance of finding her in the crowd.

Lee Chae-Won walked up to Yeong-Hui from across the room. He was a tall, thin boy with short jet-black hair with bangs, and he wore glasses. Eun-Jeong glanced to her twin, who seemed to light up as he approached. Eun-Jeong took a polite step back—to give them space—and she watched the interaction.

Chae-Won exchanged a casual, polite greeting with Eun-Jeong and then turned to Yeong-Hui. "Annyeong Yeong-Hui-ah…"

Yeong-Hui smiled shyly. "Oh, annyeong, Chae-Won Sunbae."

Chae-Won looked Yeong-Hui up and down—in an approving but not inappropriate manner. She had worn a floral dress and had her hair up, with tiny ringlets of dark hair cascading down each side of her face. "You look nice," he smiled at her.

Yeong-Hui beamed back. "Gomawo, Sunbae. You…too."

Chae-Won smiled again—even wider this time. "Did you. . . come with anyone?" he cocked his head to the side.

Yeong-Hui's eyes sparkled hopefully back at him. "No, I didn't," she replied, shaking her head. And she wondered if Chae-Won would ask her to dance. "And you, Sunbae?" she asked—more eagerly than she'd intended.

He glanced toward the punch table and tucked his hands into his pockets. "Well, yes, actually, I came with Ha Ji-Su. . ."

"Oh," Yeong-Hui muttered, and her smile faded completely away.

"But—," he began.

"That's nice!" Yeong-Hui cut him off in an overly bubbly fashion, "She's a nice girl," and Yeong-Hui plastered on the fakest of smiles.

He placed a hand behind his head. "Yes, she is. But, would you like to dance, Yeong-Hui-ah?" Chae-Won shuffled lightly from side to side. "…I'm sure Ji-Su wouldn't mind a bit."

"No, thank you," Yeong-Hui replied immediately, as she felt herself begin to well up. "You should…get back to your date, Sunbae," Yeong-Hui added, in a frosty tone. Then, she gave him a formal bow and walked off.

Eun-Jeong's face saddened, as she watched her twin walk away, and she pondered whether or not she should go after her.

"Wait, Yeong-Hui-ah!" Chae-Won called after her, but she didn't stop. "But, she and I…we're…just friends…," he muttered sullenly under his breath. But Eun-Jeong heard.

Chae-Won looked hopelessly to Eun-Jeong, and she waved him on—as if to suggest he go after her immediately and clear it up. When he stood there frozen for a moment, Eun-Jeong stepped forward and gave him a light push. Chae-Won looked back at her. She gave him a faint smile; he nodded and walked resolutely off. Eun-Jeong tightened her lips and then released another small sigh.

I hope they work it out…


Seok-Young finally returned to Eun-Jeong, after a period of nearly 15 minutes. "Oppa!" her eyes shone in happy relief.

He placed a hand upon her arm. "I'm sorry about that, Eun-Jeong-ah. Aria asked me to fill in, and then I couldn't find you for a little while in the crowd."

"It's OK, Oppa. You were amazing up there!"

He smiled. "Gomawo."

There was an awkward silence—as neither wanting to bring up their foolish jealousy—and they both glanced around the room in separate directions.

Eun-Jeong noticed Gun Mi Na, standing 10 or so feet away with a group of older girls. Mi Na looked over and saw them there together, but Seok-Young didn't seem to notice her. Eun-Jeong caught Mi Na's eyes. Mi Na gave Eun-Jeong the dirtiest of looks and then turned her back on her.

Eun-Jeong released another sigh and then turned back to Seok-Young, and he asked her if she'd like to dance again.


After the dance, Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong were taken back to the So mansion by Seok-Young's driver. On the way there, they simply enjoyed the silence, while casting extraneous glances at each other. Seok-Young particularly enjoyed how the moonlight would softly illuminate Eun-Jeong's pretty facial features. He hung his arm over the armrest and casually slipped his hand into hers, interlacing their fingers. She looked at him and shyly smiled. Then, she gazed out her window, grinning like mad as she enjoyed the warmth and feel of their hands touching.

Upon arrival at Eun-Jeong's home, Seok-Young exited first and opened the door for her. He took her hand and extra carefully helped her out of the SUV—ensuring she didn't fall—and then he walked her to her front door. They lingered there for a moment, avoiding eye contact.

With a sigh, Seok-Young finally spoke, "I'm so sorry that our first date got messed up…," and he hung his head slightly.

"No, it didn't get messed up, Oppa. I had a great time!" In fact, it was perfect, Oppa…because I was with you… It doesn't ever matter what we do…

He smiled affectionately at her.

But she suddenly worried that he'd had a bad time. "But why…why do you say that, Oppa?"

He stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Well, it just wasn't exactly what I had in mind…"

Eun-Jeong nodded solemnly, lowering her eyes and adjusting the strap of her small hand bag on her shoulder.

Then, Seok-Young sighed, and he suddenly took her hands in his own. Eun-Jeong flushed. "But, I don't think this actually counts as a first date. I think we should try again."

"Try again?"

"Yes," he looked down into her warm, chocolate eyes.

"What did you have in mind, Oppa?"

"Well, I have some thoughts," he said, as he squeezed her hands. "First of all, it should…you know…be just us—no large crowds and definitely no guys serenading you with love songs," Seok-Young gave a wry smile.

Eun-Jeong smirked, secretly pleased that he seemed to be a bit jealous. And no girls touching you either, Oppa…

"Yes, about that, Oppa… Mianhae. But you don't have to worry because…," she paused. "Even if a hundred guys serenaded me, I'd only want you…" Eun-Jeong snapped her head instantly away from him, unable to believe she'd made such a bold and sappy statement.

Seok-Young's lips parted, and he brought one hand up to cup her cheek. "Eun-Jeong-ah…," he uttered, and he smiled sweetly at her. She smiled back and then glanced downward, her eyelashes fluttering as he held her face in his hand.

Seok-Young opened his mouth again. He hesitated before speaking assuredly, "Besides, if any guy is going to sing to you, it should be me."

Eun-Jeong bit down lightly on her lip. "You…want to sing to me, Oppa?"

Seok-Young released her hands and clasped his behind his back, swaying gently. "Well, sure…sometime…," and he grinned at her.

"I'd like that very much, Oppa," Eun-Jeong spoke tenderly. "And I'd love to go on another first date with you," she bobbed her head up and down in eager agreement.

Seok-Young smiled brightly at her, and she glanced shyly to the side—sometimes his flawless smile was simply too much for her.

Then, he placed his hands upon her shoulders and spoke with determination, "When I turn 16 next month, Eun-Jeong-ah, I'd like to take you out for real. Appa already said I could borrow the motorcycle, if it is OK with your appa." Seok-Young seemed excited, as if he had planned it all out perfectly in his head—and he probably had.

Eun-Jeong definitely did not want to wait a whole month to go on another date with him! Still, she was thrilled by the prospect—it sounded so romantic. Eun-Jeong smiled widely, as she threw her arms around him and settled into his comfortable warmth. "Oppa…," she muttered tenderly. "That sounds perfect!"

And it truly did; she absolutely could not wait.

But I don't have high hopes for Appa allowing it—not the motorcycle, at least…, she thought.

"You do look really beautiful tonight," Seok-Young said.

Eun-Jeong blushed. "Thank you, Oppa. And you look really handsome," she glanced shyly away.

"But…," he surveyed her," you also look cold." Seok-Young took off his jacket and placed it over her shoulders, rubbing her now covered arms in a brisk yet tender fashion.

Eun-Jeong gazed up at him timidly. Then, she remembered something and—breaking the increasing romantic tension—she declared, "Oh, I have something for you, Oppa!"

Eun-Jeong dug into her handbag. She pulled out a rectangular box, which was decorated with a large cerulean ribbon—his favorite color.

Seok-Young thanked Eun-Jeong and opened the box to reveal the chocolates personally created by Eun-Jeong.

"Did you make these?" he asked.

Eun-Jeong nodded.

"They look amazing," he smiled brightly at her.

"Gomawo, Oppa. I hope you enjoy them!" she exclaimed.

He smiled again and tucked the chocolates behind his back in one hand.

"Well," Seok-Young checked his watch outside of the So door, "Looks like I have one more minute until I have to drop you off." He took a step closer to her, and they stared into one another's eyes. And she was so caught up in the moment—in his eyes, his smile. . .

"I wish I could kiss you, Eun-Jeong-ah," he whispered, and she blushed for about the millionth time since she'd fallen for him. "But I'm not supposed to," he added sorrowfully.

Eun-Jeong's eyes shot to the ground, and she nodded. "I know, Oppa."

"I normally don't break rules, but you should know that the temptation is great. I wonder if I should this time…," he mused—almost to himself.

Eun-Jeong's eyes shot back up to meet his, and she felt her face grow warm. "O-ppa…"

Seok-Young grinned and glanced up to her parents' bedroom window. "I…might break the rules; however, who knows who could be watching right now? But you know…," and Seok-Young his chin thoughtfully, "…your appa said no kissing, which indicates plural or extended kissing, so maybe one quick kiss would be OK…," he smirked at her playfully and then glanced to the window again.

Eun-Jeong felt her face getting hotter by the second—it spread all the way to her ears and down her neck.

She gaped and gave him a light shove, to—once again—ease the tension. "You're so bad, Oppa! Trying to get off on a technicality…," she chastised, "Who knew Yoon Seok-Young was such naughty boy?!" And she immediately looked away from him.

Seok-Young chuckled. "Alright, as you wish. I guess I'll play by the rules…"

Eun-Jeong suddenly felt a bit disappointed. Oh, why did I have to open my big mouth?!

But then, he leaned down and in slightly to meet her eyes, "This time anyway…"

Eun-Jeong swallowed the thick lump in and looked away again.

When Eun-Jeong couldn't seem to look at him, he turned her face gently back with a finger. At his touch, she responded and stared up into his warm brown eyes. Her heart leapt when—seconds later—he began to lean in…

Was he really going to kiss her?!

Eun-Jeong's eyelashes fluttered in anticipation. With her eyes shut tight in wait, she froze. And he proceeded to place a delicate kiss upon her forehead.

Once she felt his lips part from the soft skin of her forehead, she tentatively opened her eyes and met his. He smiled down at her and whispered, "I decided to just bend the rules a little…," and then he winked at her.

Eun-Jeong considered smacking him for teasing her like that, yet again. . .

What was he doing to her—making her think he was going to kiss her on the lips?! It couldn't be good for her heart… And he was always doing things like that to her! He certainly knew how to torture her—and apparently greatly enjoyed it…

But the forehead kiss had been so wonderful itself that she decided to let it go, this time… Grinning faintly to herself, she mentally vowed to get back at him for his teasing someday.

Then, Seok-Young caught her off-guard by taking her hand. He bent gallantly, and placed a kiss upon her knuckle. He looked up at her—his lips still lightly caressing her hand—and their eyes met again. Eun-Jeong could feel her heart drumming within her chest. Aigoo! This couldn't be good for my heart, either…

Seok-Young broke the hand kiss and straightened. "I decided to bend the rules just once more tonight," he quipped. And then he grew serious, "Goodnight, Eun-Jeong-ah. Sleep well," and he turned to leave.

"Goodnight, Oppa! Gomawo!" she shouted to him vibrantly, as he walked away. He glanced back at her over his shoulder, smiled, and gave her a stationary wave.

Once he was 10 or 15 feet away, Eun-Jeong leaned against her front door; she placed a hand over her heart and sighed, as she looked after him. "Goodnight, Oppa. Saranghae…," she whispered into the night.


With a dreamy smile on her face, Eun-Jeong entered the So household.

"How was the dance?" Yi Jeong asked, as she walked in. Eun-Jeong jumped slightly. Her appa was seated on the living room couch. She hadn't even noticed him there.

Eun-Jeong tried to be casual, but she had a stupid grin on her face. She bit down on her lip and then answered. "It was great, Appa."

Yi Jeong stared at her for a moment—observing her—and he nodded. "Good. I'm glad," and a smile formed upon the ex-Casanova's face.

He went back to the paper he'd been reading but spoke again before she could leave. "Yoon Seok-Young was a gentleman?" he asked, glancing up and raising a brow.

"Of course, Appa," she nodded readily. Aside from tormenting me endlessly…

Yi Jeong smiled faintly and stood. "Good, I assumed as much. Now, off to bed with you."

Eun-Jeong nodded and bowed. She went to leave but then turned back, and she ran to Yi Jeong. She wrapped her arms tight around his waist and stared up at him with one of the biggest smiles he'd ever seen in his life. "Gomawo, Appa! For letting me go…I had such a great time! Gomawo!" and she practically had tears in her eyes—happy tears.

Yi Jeong couldn't help but match her smile in width. "You're welcome, Eun-Jeong-ah," and he kissed the top of her head. "Now, go on. Get some sleep…"


Eun-Jeong headed up to her room and closed the door. She suddenly had a thought and went to the window, pulling back the curtain slightly. Her lips parted when she noticed that Seok-Young was still outside, standing below her window and looking up. Eun-Jeong gave a happy laugh-cry and then opened the window fully.

"Oppa!" she called down, beaming, "What are you doing?"

Seok-Young placed a hand behind his neck and shuffled his feet slightly—embarrassed at having been caught lingering there outside her window. "Oh, um, well…I was just…"

"Just what, Oppa? Come on, out with it!" she toyed.

He took a deep breath and said, "Well, I just…wasn't ready to go yet. I wasn't ready for the night to end, but I didn't want you to be late, so…," he exhaled. "And I like it, being here…outside your window…"

Eun-Jeong felt like she was bursting with happiness, but she tempered it. "Oh, I see," she called back. But she was still unable to wipe her smile.

Seok-Young stuck his hands into his pockets and swayed from side to side for a moment. Eun-Jeong smiled to herself, as she watched him fidget nervously. It was sweet and cute and entertaining. She leaned against her windowsill and craned her neck to better see him. "Whatcha doing down there?" she giggled.

Seok-Young kicked at the dirt. "Nothing, really…," he called back.

He felt like an idiot—just loitering there—but he had something to get off his chest.

Eun-Jeong continued to lean against the sill, gazing down upon him with sparkling eyes. Not that she couldn't stand there and stare at him all night, but she did wonder what he was up to and how long he would remain there. Unable to resist teasing him a bit like he always did to her, she shouted down, "What, did you forget something, Oppa?"

He hesitated but then replied, "Yes! Yes, I did! I did forget something!"

"Oh, what is it?"

He placed a hand beside his face, "I…forgot to tell you…that I…think I…love you," he stammered and then more assuredly called up, "No, I don't just think so; I do! I love you, So Eun-Jeong!"

"Oppa…," Eun-Jeong quickly tore herself away from the window, allowing the curtain to gently fall closed. Her heart was pounding hard—and faster than she'd ever felt it go.


Seok-Young's lips parted, and he hung his head. She didn't say it back, and she closed the curtains… He sighed, and—thinking his confession must have scared her—he began to walk dejectedly away. Babo!


Eun-Jeong leaned hard against the wall on the side of the window, clutching at her throbbing chest. Without another thought, she went back to the window and pulled open the curtain. Seok-Young was walking off, with his shoulders hunched slightly and hands in pockets.

"Oppa!" she called out to him. He stopped dead in his tracks. He turned back to look up at her over his shoulder.

"I love you, too, Oppa! I love you like crazy!" Eun-Jeong quickly squeezed her eyes shut; she inwardly groaned at how fervent she was.

Still, she was soaring… They had never spoken those words to one another—well, she had, but only through the lyrics of a song…

She hesitantly opened her eyes and looked down at Seok-Young. He was smiling sweetly up at her. Then, he touched two fingers to his lips and raised his hand, as if sending her a kiss. Eun-Jeong flushed and blew a kiss back. And then he smiled again, waved, and headed toward his vehicle.

After Seok-young walked away, Eun-Jeong drew the curtains closed. But, she took one last peek, in order to catch one last glimpse of him.

Eun-Jeong finally shut the window for the night and collapsed onto her bed, giggling ecstatically and covering her face with her hands. Completely giddy, she grabbed her pillow, squeezed it tight, and buried her face into the depths of its softness.

Eun-Jeong was so blissfully happy—she still could not stop smiling. Normally, this would be a time when she would call up and gush to her best friend—about every detail and how insanely happy she was—but she still wasn't sure how Mee-Yon was feeling about it. Mee-Yon had said that she was fine with it, and things were good between them now, but she didn't want to push her luck or make Mee-Yon feel weird. So, she decided to simply wallow alone in her bliss.


Meanwhile…

Yi Jeong had heard a noise, so he went to the front door and opened it. Seok-Young was a few yards away, just standing outside the Yoon family's Escalade.

Seok-Young's eyes shot to the door, and he gave his uncle gave a sheepish look. Oh no, did Uncle Yi Jeong hear what I said?

"Oh, Uncle Yi Jeong! Mianhada, mianhada for the noise!" Seok-Young called out. "I was…just leaving!"

Yi Jeong beckoned Seok-Young with a finger. And Seok-Young complied, approaching slowly. He stood before Yi Jeong at the door with his head lowered. "I tried to get her home on time, really I did, Uncle Yi Jeong," Seok-Young muttered. "We were actually here right on time, but we…talked for a few minutes outside…"

"I know you were on time. I just want to speak with you for a few minutes. Come in, Yoon Seok-Young," Yi Jeong simply said. Seok-Young nodded and followed Yi Jeong into the So mansion.

Seok-Young lingered inside the front door—with hands clasped in front of him—as Yi Jeong walked on ahead toward his study. Yi Jeong stopped and turned back. "Are you coming, my boy?"


Seok-Young sat in a massive leather armchair across from Yi Jeong, who sat at his desk. Seok-Young stared down at his hands, wringing them lightly, as he attempted to discern what Uncle Yi Jeong was feeling—and what he could have done. Am I in trouble again?

Seok-Young slowly raised his head; Yi Jeong was simply staring at him—in silence. It was intimidating. And Seok-Young burst out with, "I didn't kiss her again, Uncle Yi Jeong!"

Then, he guiltily added, "OK, I did!"

Yi Jeong's brow wrinkled.

"But just on the hand! …And the forehead, but that's it, I swear!"

"Relax, Seok-Young. It's not about that. I just wanted to…," Yi Jeong sighed. "Apologize to you."

Seok-Young blinked. "Apologize? To me?"

"Yes, for the way I treated you when you told me how you felt about Eun-Jeong."

"Kamsahamnida, Uncle Yi Jeong. But, you don't need to apologize…it was all my fault! I should have told you right away…before I did anything…," and Seok-Young closed his mouth, knowing he would likely say something that would somehow incriminate him.

Yi Jeong sighed. "It's alright, Seok-Young-ah. Let's just agree that we are both sorry and move past it."

Seok-Young nodded.

"And as far as Eun-Jeong goes…"

Seok-Young anxiously squeezed his hands together in wait for what Yi Jeong had to say.

"I want you to know that, even though I overreacted at first, I'm not against the idea of you dating my daughter. I believe that you are a good boy, and I trust you, Yoon Seok-Young. I know you'll be good to my daughter."

Seok-Young's nervous expression transformed into a wide smile. "I will be, Uncle Yi Jeong! I promise," Seok-Young assured.

"Good," and Yi Jeong stood from his chair. "That's all, Yoon Seok-Young."

Seok-Young also stood, and he bowed. "Kamsahamnida, Uncle Yi Jeong!"

Yi Jeong stepped around the desk and stood before Seok-Young. "Now, go on home before your parents start to worry," and he gave his nephew a friendly clap on the back.

Unthinkingly, Seok-Young threw his arms around Yi Jeong in a hug. "Kamsahamnida! Kamsahamnida, Uncle Yi Jeong," he repeated, smiling his appreciation.

The corners of Yi Jeong's mouth tilted. And he shook his head in tender amusement, as he patted Seok-Young on the back. Seok-Young pulled back, and Yi Jeong was smiling at him. Yi Jeong gave the boy's hair a tousle and then ushered him out the door.

With a jovial expression, Yi Jeong watched Seok-Young leave—but not before he glanced to the top of the stairwell. Yi Jeong assumed that Seok-Young was trying to catch one last glimpse of Eun-Jeong.


As Seok-Young was driven home, he looked out the window into the blackened night, and he thought of Eun-Jeong. It wasn't uncommon for him to do so, but this time he was thinking different kinds of thoughts… Forever kind of thoughts…

But that was silly, wasn't it? He was still so young, yet he was imagining what the future could be like with her.

Until recently, the only future Seok-Young pictured involved just him and his music… It involved finishing high school, going off to college, and becoming a professional musician.

But now, everything seemed to be changing so much…

For one, he had told Eun-Jeong that he loved her…

He hadn't expected to do that tonight. It hadn't really been the best time or place, at all. And he was the kind of guy to wait on something like that—something so important. He was the kind of guy to think it through clearly and thoroughly and to plan it out well. But it had just sort of slipped out.

That didn't make Seok-Young's confession any less true, but it hadn't been the way he expected it to go. And perhaps he shouldn't have said it to her so soon. . . Would this come back to haunt him?

Still, he couldn't deny how he felt… It was hard to imagine, yet undeniable that Yoon Seok-Young was in love…

So, this was love—thinking of someone to the point of distraction, impulsively shouting out words, looking and acting stupid—yet not caring—and being a complete and utter fool over someone… He supposed there was something to all those love songs, after all.

This unpredictable, intense, crazy feeling—it was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time… And so far, it hadn't led to the best decision-making on his part. That worried Seok-Young. . .


A lot of guys his age didn't think much—or at all—about the future. They only thought in the moment and about things like sports or cute girls… But Seok-Young thought about the future—he thought about it all the time.

Whenever he brought up his future goals to one of his buddies, they'd say things like 'why are you worrying about that stuff,' or 'there's plenty of time for that later,' but Yoon Seok-Young liked to be prepared, and he knew that if he was going to grasp onto the future he wanted, he needed to start working hard toward it now.

In the last couple years, Seok-Young had been planning out what his adult life would be like. He basically imagined finishing high school, going off to college, and pursuing his musical career.

And he didn't want to attend Shinwha University. . .

It wasn't that it was not a good school, but there were far better musical programs out there. Unfortunately, most of them were overseas. . . Seok-Young didn't know if he'd get in, but he needed to try. In the past, he had imagined being all alone in a foreign country. But that didn't scare him. Although he would miss his family and friends, he could endure it because it was important to him.

He hadn't mentioned his plans to his family, or anyone else, yet. Oh, he knew his family would be understanding and supportive—he wasn't concerned about that. In fact, he knew they would only encourage him. But, he also knew that it would break their hearts, especially Eomma and Mee-Yon. He imagined Eomma and Mee-Yon crying about it, and that broke his heart.

And now, there was Eun-Jeong to consider. He couldn't deny that she had suddenly and totally become a very important part of the picture. He scoffed at himself. He was entirely too young to be thinking this way! And people were always telling him he had his whole life ahead of him and that he had so much potential…

But nevertheless, she was there in his head, and he was suddenly trying to work her into his life… He couldn't help but do so. Perhaps she could go with him to college. But surely, she would not want to travel overseas with him, leaving all her family and friends behind. And what about her life's plan? Surely, she had goals that didn't revolve around him… He was being incredibly selfish, wasn't he?

But it didn't matter right now. They had just barely begun dating, and that was so far into the future. . . These were ridiculous thoughts, weren't they? And if he told Eun-Jeong what he was thinking she would think he'd lost his mind… He'd push her away, scare her off. Why was he even thinking about this now? Maybe he had lost his mind…

But that was what love did to a person, or so he'd heard…

Seok-Young suddenly recalled the soulmates conversation he had with Appa. Was it possible that Eun-Jeong was his soulmate? Was he meant to be with her? And, all-of-a-sudden, he got what Appa had been talking about all along. He hadn't really fully comprehended Appa's words before, but now he understood.

He understood completely now—the notion of memorizing her face, of just wanting to be with her—no matter where or what they were doing… He even imagined that he might have been crazy enough to camp outside her window all night—just to be close to her. At least, if not for Uncle Yi Jeong and the possibility of the police being called to deal with the crazy intruder hiding in the bushes.

Yes, he was crazy, wasn't he? To be thinking this way at age—not even—16. If he mentioned any of this to his buddies at school, they would suggest having him committed to a psychiatric ward.

Seok-Young gave a good-natured scoff at himself. Then, he released a heavy sigh, shut his eyes tight, and fell back against the headrest of the Escalade.


The Next Morning…

Jun-Seo was in the midst of a heated video game battle with Aidan, while Ju-Mi and Aria looked on. The two boys were seated on Jun-Seo's massive bed and were rapidly hitting buttons on the controller.

"Aish!" Jun-Seo shouted and tossed the controller aside when his player fell in battle to Aidan's.

Ju-Mi smacked Jun-Seo in the back of his head. "Stop cursing, or I'm telling Eomma, Oppa!"

Jun-Seo grumbled and rubbed the back of his head. He picked the controller up again and looked to Aidan. "One more!"

Aidan nodded, and they chose their fighters. After a heated match, Jun-Seo fell again to his opponent. Aidan threw up his arms in triumph.

"Cheater!" Jun-Seo cried out, and Aidan blinked in surprise. "You can't do that move!"

"Why not?" Aidan asked, smirking in satisfaction. "It's legal. I can teach it to you if you want."

"No thanks," Jun-Seo snipped. "I can figure it out myself… I don't like fighting as that guy anyway. He's a wuss."

"Yeah? Well he kicked your , didn't he?" Aidan replied.

"Oppa…," Aria warned. And Ju-Mi laughed.

Jun-Seo opened his mouth to say something snarky, but then he shut it and instead glared at Aidan.

Hoping to diffuse the volatile moment, Ju-Mi suggested, "Why don't we play something different!" in a bubbly manner, clasping her hands together.


That evening…

Due to an unexpected business meeting, dinner at the Goo household had been pushed back, so Ji Hoo decided to take Aidan and Aria to the symphony tonight instead. Ji Hoo had already been introduced to the pop twins earlier that day by Jun Pyo…

"You know, this kid here was pretty intimidated about meeting you, Yoon Ji Hoo," Jun Pyo spoke of Aidan. "It was all he talked about for days," and Jun Pyo grinned at Ji Hoo. "But I told him that you're just like anyone else, except maybe a little quieter and weirder…"

Ji Hoo shook his head. "Ya, Joon Pyo!" and he gave Joon Pyo a playful shove. Joon Pyo laughed and introduced the two. Aidan bowed deeply before Ji Hoo and expressed what an honor it was to meet him. Still, Aidan found it funny how approachable and playful Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi was. He wasn't quite what Aidan had expected in that regard.


Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Mee-Yon attended the symphony that night with Aria and Aidan as their guests. And Ji Hoo introduced the pop twins to his family.

"This is my wife, Dr. Geum Jan Di, and this is my daughter, Yoon Mee-Yon," Ji Hoo presented each of his girls. Mother and daughter were clothed similarly in black dresses, though Jan Di's was more sophisticated, whereas Mee-Yon's was elegant yet youthful.

"I'm pleased to meet you," Aidan said, smiling. And he bowed before Jan Di. She returned the bow.

Then, Aidan turned to Mee-Yon. She took a deep breath, as she met his eyes. And he bowed before her. Mee-Yon smiled and bowed back to Aidan.

Ji Hoo seated his family and the pop stars. Then, he excused himself and went to the stage to warm up his orchestra.


The following evening…

A large dinner was set up in the dining room of the huge Goo mansion. The F4 families and the pop stars all sat at a long rectangular table in the dining room. Jun Pyo sat at the head of the table, with Alex on his left. Jun-Seo sat on the other side, and Ju-Mi sat across from her oppa and next to her eomma. And the Songs, Sos, and Yoons were seated down the line. Aria and Aidan sat beside each other, next to the Sos and across from the Yoons. Dinner was served, and they all began to eat while making conversation.

"Alex, how have you been doing?" Jan Di asked, prior to taking a bite of her food.

"Oh, just fine, Jan Di, aside from failing miserably at getting this baby weight off," she laughed at herself.

"Oh, you must be joking Alex. You look fantastic," Jan Di retorted.

"Gomawo. You're too kind, Jan Di-yah."

"At least she believes you about it, Geum Jan Di," Joon Pyo muttered through a mouthful of food.

"Don't start, Joon Pyo-ah," Alex began, and she took a bite.

But Joon Pyo didn't listen. "I told her a hundred times she looks fine, but she doesn't believe me!"

Alex shook her head and continued to eat.

"Her hormones haven't settled yet, though. When she couldn't get her dress zipped up the other night, she burst into tears," Joon Pyo blurted out.

"Ya!" Alex whacked Joon Pyo on the arm with the back of her hand. "Don't tell everyone that," she hissed.

There was an awkward moment before the adult group all smiled and began complimenting Alex.

The children were seated further down the table. Ju-Mi looked over at her parents, and she shook her head to herself at her appa's stupidity. Ju-Mi loved and respected her appa greatly, but sometimes she really didn't know how Appa had managed to land Eomma—considering he was so dumb with women sometimes.

And the dinner was interesting—to say the least—for all parties.


Hye-Mi kept casting lovestruck sidelong glances at Aidan. Ju-Mi was subtler about it, but she was also sneaking peeks at Aidan.

And Mee-Yon was doing her best not to look. She would look at him occasionally, but then her eyes would shoot right back down to her plate if he looked back. Jun-Seo noticed this; he clenched his jaw and stabbed at his food.

Aidan, for his part, would simply smile at the girls whenever he caught them staring at him. And they would quickly look away and blush like crazy, except for Hye-Mi, who would just stare right back at him.

Eun-Jeong; however, was reserving most of her glances for Seok-Young. But when Aidan would speak she would give him her attention, out of politeness.

And Seok-Young was doing his best not to get jealous or read into anything. After all, Aidan had even apologized to him for the love song to Eun-Jeong, even though he hadn't really done anything wrong. Aidan had been extremely nice and sincere about it, too, and he'd explained that it had been all his manager's idea.

And Seok-Young had to admit that Aidan seemed like a decent guy…

Still, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy when Eun-Jeong would look over at Aidan—giving him her full attention—when he started telling stories about his life. He talked of his concerts, the touring, and life on the road. The girls all seemed enchanted and would eagerly ask questions.

And Seok-Young was rapidly becoming tired of hearing about it… But he remained polite.

Seok-Young sighed. He poked at his food and looked around the table. Il-Hun and Jae-Jin were just as bad as the girls, for they kept staring at Aria and asking her lots of questions about herself. It was obvious that Il-Hun and Jae-Jin were trying to flirt with Aria, but she didn't seem to care much.

Aria, instead, kept looking over at Seok-Young, gifting him with her incandescent smile and asking him questions. And when she would do so, Eun-Jeong felt herself growing jealous and irritated.


The parents seemed oblivious to the tension between their kids, for they were involved in their own separate conversations at the other end of the table.

The mood grew somber when Jan Di asked Ga Eul about how her little one, Byeong-Ho was doing…

Byeong-Ho had been ill frequently since birth. He had been colicky and cried incessantly for weeks, leaving Ga Eul and Yi Jeong with little to no sleep. Lately, Byeong-Ho had been having some other problems, and Ga Eul and Yi Jeong were very concerned.

The kids temporarily put their love drama on hold and looked over, and everyone paid attention to Ga Eul's response.

"He's still not eating as much as I'd like him to, and he's been wheezing and having some shortness of breath," Ga Eul explained to Jan Di. "I thought it was just a cold, but it has persisted for nearly a week, so I think I should get him checked out."

"Bring him in to see me tomorrow at 9 AM," Ji Hoo said. "I'll run some tests. Hopefully everything is fine, but if not, I know an excellent specialist I can refer him to."

Ga Eul nodded sullenly, and Yi Jeong took hold of her hand beside him on the table.

"Gomawa, Ji Hoo-yah," Yi Jeong said. And Ji Hoo nodded.

And the group finished their dinner, largely in silence. After dinner, the mood mellowed once more, and they all hung out—the kids together and the parents together—talking.


The Next Day…

The pop duo had decided that it would be fun to attend Shinwha High for a while, but they would not be going until the next week.

This flabbergasted most of the F4 children. After all, why would anyone want to go to school if they didn't have to?

But Aidan and Aria were excited about it. Since they were always either rehearsing or on tour, they had had private tutors and were schooled on the road for the past few years—something the F4 kids knew their parents would never let them get away with doing. But then again, they weren't famous pop stars, either.


It was after school, and Ji Hoo, Jan Di, and the F4 children were attending Mee-Yon's swim meet. Aria and Aidan had also wanted to go.

Seok-Young prepared Aidan and Aria ahead of time for the reception they would receive when they walked into Shinwha. And he hadn't exaggerated.

"Are you sure you want to go to school here?" Seok-Young shouted to them over the screams of the Shinwha masses, as they walked in. It was something Seok-Young had grown accustomed to, but it had died down a bit for him.

Aidan and Aria simply chuckled and nodded, saying they were used to it.

The group stood along the sidelines, watching Mee-Yon.

"Wow, she's so fast," Aidan commented, as he watched Mee-Yon torpedo through the swimming pool.

"Mm, she really is," Aria added.

"Yes, Mee Yon Unnie is the best on the team. She always took to the water like a fish," Ju-Mi responded.

"Yes, she's her appa's little otter, for sure!" Hye-Mi exclaimed.

"Huh?" Aidan's brow wrinkled in confusion, and he looked to Hye-Mi for an explanation. "She's an otter?"

Yeong-Hui laughed and jumped into the conversation, explaining the odd nickname to Aidan and Aria.

Eun-Jeong nodded. "Swimming is in our Mee-Yon's blood. Her eomma was a great swimmer until she suffered an injury to her shoulder and could no longer continue."

Aria pursed her lips. "Oh, that's too bad."

"Yes, it really is. But I believe one day we'll be cheering for Mee-Yon-ah as she represents South Korea in the Olympics!" Hye-Mi assured.


Meanwhile, Jan Di and Ji Hoo stood several feet away from the children, watching and cheering on their daughter. Coach Park was currently keeping his distance from them.

Just then, one of the single mothers, who was notorious for going after a lot of guys—even the married ones—started prowling around Ji Hoo. She was eyeing him up like a panther eyeing up a fresh kill. And it wasn't the first time she'd done so. Jan Di groaned and shot her a look, as if warning her to stay away from her territory, but that didn't seem to stop her.

The woman approached and greeted the two of them briefly before pulling Ji Hoo aside. Jan Di scowled and turned her eyes back to Mee-Yon.

"Dr. Yoon, I need some medical advice," she said, as she slid a hand down his arm. Ji Hoo looked at her curiously before returning his eyes to the pool.

"Alright, how can I help?" He didn't look at her but instead focused upon Mee-Yon.

"Oh, well, it's kind of personal… Perhaps we could go somewhere and talk in private…?" and she began twirling her hair.

Ji Hoo looked to her briefly. "Well, I am watching my daughter swim right now, but if it's not an emergency there are office hours at the hospital at 8 AM tomorrow morning," and then he turned his gaze back to Mee-Yon.

Jan Di heaved a sigh and walked over to Ji Hoo and the woman. "Oh, hello there. How are you?"

The woman held her head up haughtily and greeted back with clearly fake politeness.

"Forgive me for interrupting your conversation," Jan Di added.

"Oh, it's fine," she replied, with an annoyed expression. "I was just asking Dr. Yoon a medical question. But it's a bit sensitive, so I thought it best to discuss in private."

"Ohh, I see. Well, I'm a doctor, too, you know? Perhaps you would feel more comfortable talking to another female about it…"

Ji Hoo smiled. "That's a great idea, Jan Di-yah."

Jan Di placed an arm around the woman's shoulder and began leading her off to the side and away from Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo mouthed a thanks to Jan Di and smiled at her, as Jan Di guided the woman away.

"Well, I'd really rather discuss it with Dr. Yoon," she said.

"Oh, I'm sure you would…," Jan Di quipped. "But don't worry. If my advice to you does not suffice, I'd be happy to go to my husband for a second opinion."

The woman scoffed. "Never mind…," she muttered, as she tore herself away from Jan Di and walked off.

Jan Di shook her head and returned to Ji Hoo's side, annoyed that she had missed part of Mee-Yon's match.

"Thanks, Jan Di-yah. I owe you one, my love," Ji Hoo said, placing an arm around her shoulder.

"Oh, and I plan to collect," Jan Di replied. They exchanged a smile and a chuckle, and then focused upon the water again and cheering for Mee-Yon.


Everyone cheered when Mee-Yon and her partner came in first. Mee-Yon got out of the pool and went to her group, and everyone congratulated her.

Just then, Jan Di and Ji Hoo simultaneously received an emergency page.

"Oh no…," Jan Di muttered.

Ji Hoo looked at his and nodded. He turned to Mee-Yon. "I'm so sorry to rush off. You were great, sweetheart!" Ji Hoo kissed Mee-Yon atop her head, and he and Jan Di rushed off.


As Mee-Yon headed off to the girls' locker room, she noticed Park Jung-Ho leaning against a nearby wall. She frowned and attempted to ignore him as she walked past, but he initiated a conversation.

...

Aidan glanced over and noticed Park Jung-Ho speaking with a clearly uncomfortable Mee-Yon. He was leaning toward her, and it appeared as though he was trying to sweet talk her.

Aidan nudged Hye-Mi, who had sidled up next to him. "Hye-Mi, who is that guy talking to Mee-Yon?"

Hye-Mi looked over to where Aidan pointed.

"Ohh, him? Ooo…what is he doing back?!" Hye-Mi sneered, balling up her fists at her sides. "That's Park Jung-Ho. He took Mee-Yon Unnie to a dance once and tried to force himself on her. Then, he insulted her and her eomma in front of Seok-Young Oppa and most of the school, and Seok-Young Oppa hit him!" Hye-Mi put up her fists in imitation. "And then Park Jung-Ho ended up getting suspended for a while by Uncle Joon Pyo. You see, Uncle Joon Pyo doesn't take it lightly when someone messes with his loved ones. But I guess he's back now…," and Hye-Mi glared over at Park Jung-Ho, wishing she could actually burn him with her eyes.

"I see," Aidan said, furrowing his brow and clasping his hands behind his back.

Then, Hye-Mi and Aidan watched Mee-Yon walk off down the corridor toward the locker rooms and Jung-Ho followed…

"What's he doing?! He better not mess with Mee-Yon Unnie, or so help me!" And Hye-Mi appeared as though she was going to follow them, but Aidan caught her by her slenderly toned arms.

"It's OK, Hye-Mi-ah. Don't worry. I'll handle it," Aidan said, as he walked off in the direction the two had gone.

"But, what are you going to do Aidan Oppa?" she called after him, but he was out of earshot and heading toward where the two had gone.


"What do you want Park Jung-Ho?" Mee-Yon demanded, as she leaned against the wall—hugging herself lightly and avoiding eye contact.

"I wanted to apologize to you, Mee-Yon-ah. I was a huge jerk, and I'm so sorry. Can you ever forgive me?"

Mee-Yon finally looked at him. Rather than answering, she posed a question of her own. "Park Jung-Ho… What happened between you and my oppa? Why did he punch you?"

"Well, that was just a misunderstanding…," Jung-Ho said smoothly, as he reached out to touch her arm. Mee-Yon pulled away.

"What kind of misunderstanding? My oppa doesn't just go around punching people. You had to have done something pretty bad to make him so angry...," she looked up at him with cold, darkened eyes.

"It doesn't matter. I just wanted to tell you that I really like you…and I miss you. I want to go out with you again. But perhaps we should do so in…secret…only because your family hates me... I think that they just don't understand me…"

Mee-Yon gaped at Jung-Ho. She prepared to speak, as her fist clenched at her side.


Seok-Young had been talking with Eun-Jeong and had failed to notice Park Jung-Ho's presence. Jun-Seo approached the two of them.

"Hyung, where's Mee-Yon Noona?" Jun-Seo asked, as he glanced around for her.

"I don't know. She probably went to change, Jun-Seo," Seok-Young replied.

Jun-Seo clutched at his forehead. "Aish, I saw that jerk Park Jung-Ho sniffing around her...where is he now?"

"Park Jung-Ho is here?" Seok-Young exclaimed.

Jun-Seo was quickly becoming worried—and losing patience. "Yes! Maybe you would've noticed if you weren't flirting with Eun-Jeong Noona!"

Seok-Young gaped at Jun-Seo, and Eun-Jeong averted her eyes. Seok-Young sighed. "I'll help you find her."

Hye-Mi approached, having overheard the conversation. "Mee-Yon Unnie went to the locker rooms and Park Jung-Ho followed her," Hye-Mi informed them.

"What?!" Jun-Seo exclaimed.

Realization dawned on Seok-Young and Jun-Seo simultaneously. They looked between each other worriedly, and then the two immediately rushed off toward the locker room doors.


Park Jung-Ho and Mee-Yon stood facing each other, and Jung-Ho continued to try and sweet talk Mee-Yon into giving him another chance.

"Mee-Yon-ah, there you are! You were wonderful today!" a male voice called from down the corridor of the locker rooms.

Mee-Yon and Jung-Ho heard the sound of Aidan's even melodious speaking voice, and they turned to see him approaching them.

"You—you're Aidan, right?" Jung-Ho questioned.

"Yes, and you are?" Aidan replied coolly.

"Park Jung-Ho. My father is the swimming coach at Shinwha."

"Ah, I see," Aidan nodded. "That must be why you're talking to my Mee-Yon."

"Your Mee-Yon?"

Aidan nodded.

Mee-Yon blinked rapidly at his statement. And suddenly, he was at her side and draping an arm across her shoulders. Mee-Yon blushed like a tomato. "Ai…Aidan Sunbae…," Mee-Yon uttered, as she stared up at him doe-eyed.

"Oh, what did I tell you about that, you cute, silly little girl you?" Aidan teased playfully, as he held her closer to him. "I told you to call me Oppa now, silly," he spoke in a deliberately flirtatious tone. And Mee-Yon blushed even hotter.

Jung-Ho's brow wrinkled, and he looked between Aidan and Mee-Yon. His eyes settled on Mee-Yon, as if demanding some explanation.

Mee-Yon looked up at Aidan with widened eyes. He was just staring down at her, and then he urged her with his eyes to play along… And Mee-Yon picked up the cue.

Mee-Yon was not such a good actress, but she did her best. "Ohhh, mian-hae…Op-pa…," she said coyly, and she patted the hand that was on her shoulder, "I'm so silly; I keep forgetting…," and she gave a stomach-churningly sweet and all too fake giggle. Surely Park Jung-Ho wasn't buying this…

But Aidan was a much better actor. "That's better," he cooed, as he ran his hand along Mee-Yon's arm. She felt goosebumps prickle.

And then Aidan turned to face her completely. "It's OK. You're just so darn cute that I'll let it slide," he smiled widely and gave her hair a ruffle. And then—keeping his arm snug around Mee-Yon—Aidan turned back to subtly glare at Park Jung-Ho.

"So, can we help you with anything?" Aidan asked of Park Jung-Ho.

Jung-Ho glared back. He opened his mouth to speak, but decided better of it. "No. I'll be going then…," and he shoved his hands into his pockets and stormed off.


Seok-Young and Jun-Seo arrived just in time to catch the end of the confrontation. They watched Jung-Ho walk off past them in a huff, and they watched Aidan drop his arm from around Mee-Yon. Both looked on in confusion. Seok-Young sighed in relief that Aidan had come to Mee-Yon's aid, but Jun-Seo was scowling.


"Ai-dan Sunbae…what was that all about…?"

Aidan revealed his brilliant smile. "Well, I could sense that you needed rescuing."

"Ohh, well…that was very kind of you. Kamsahamnida, Sunbae," and she bowed deeply before Aidan.

When she raised her head, he was still smiling at her. "You know, you really can call me Oppa if you want to," and he touched her arm.

Mee-Yon cast her eyes downward and nodded, unsure what to make of the statement. "OK. Um, thank you again," she said.

"No problem. What are big brothers for?" he asked rhetorically. And then he smiled at her again and returned from the direction he came.

Aidan greeted Seok-Young and Jun-Seo as he walked past with a "Hey guys," and Seok-Young greeted back. But Jun-Seo wouldn't even look at him.


At Jun Pyo's request, the pop stars would now be staying with the Yoons for a few days.

"The Old Witch is coming to stay for a few days at my house, so could you keep those kids at your place until she's gone, Ji Hoo-yah?" Jun Pyo had asked.

"Why is your mother staying at your house?" Ji Hoo asked.

Jun Pyo scoffed. "Who knows?! She said she wants to spend more time with her grandchildren, but I'm sure she has some ulterior motive. She probably just wants the chance to boss everyone around even more than she already tries to."

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "Well, good luck, Jun Pyo. I'll check with Jan Di, but it should be fine."


Early the Next Morning…

Mee-Yon had awoken in the middle of the night. She checked the clock on her bedside table. It was 3 AM. She nestled back into her comforter, but she felt restless for some reason, so she got up to go for a drink of water. As she passed the guest bedroom—with her stuffed otter in hand—she heard a noise. The sound was that of a male voice shouting out. It startled her, and she clutched her stuffed otter tighter.

Mee-Yon lightly rapped at the door to the guest room where Aidan was staying. "Aidan Sunbae…?" When he didn't answer, she knocked again. "Is everything alright?"

Mee-Yon knew she shouldn't do this, but she was concerned, so she slowly cracked the door open and peered inside. The room was completely dark, aside from the hint of moonlight coming in through the partially opened window—and now there was also the lighting from the hall. This allowed her to make out the figure of Aidan lying still in the guest bed. She noticed him suddenly begin to toss and turn. And he cried out again in his sleep.

Mee-Yon softly tiptoed closer—holding her otter tight to her chest—until she was standing over his bed. "Ai-dan Sunbae…," she whispered. "Are you alright?" He stilled, and she took a moment to look upon him. He appeared peaceful now, and she got caught up in gazing upon his face, softly illuminated by the dancing moonbeams.

Suddenly, Aidan cried out again and grasped onto Mee-Yon's arm. She shrieked, as she lost her balance, and she fell right on top of his chest.

Aidan's eyes fluttered open, and he discovered that he was staring straight into Mee-Yon's large eyes. She was lying on top of him with one arm on each side to support herself.

Though it was dark, Mee-Yon caught the faintest hint of the color of his sapphire eyes reflected in the moonlight. "Ai-dan S-s-unbae," Mee-Yon stammered, and her heart threatened to pound through her chest.

"Mee-Yon?" he questioned, blinking a few times to confirm her identity. "What's…going on?" he asked, still slightly disoriented from sleep.

"Well, you were having a bad dream, I think, and you cried out in your sleep… I was worried about you, so I came to check on you…"

"Oh," he spoke softly. That's right… I had that terrible nightmare again…

Aidan exhaled, as he began to return to reality after the horrible dream. And he finally took in the situation. Mee-Yon remained atop him—paralyzed—and he had a hold upon her upper arms. She was just staring down at him, as if she couldn't move or speak and had forgotten how to even breathe.

"Um, Mee-Yon-ah…," Aidan spoke purposefully, loosening his grip upon her arms. "I appreciate your concern for me, and not that I really mind it so much…," he chuckled, "but don't you think you should get up now? I don't want your appa to walk in and get the wrong idea…"

Mee-Yon gasped, as if she had only just realized she was still on top of him. "Oh!"

Humiliated, she pushed herself upright to a standing position and quickly backed away from the bed. After a few steps, she stopped, lowered her head, and apologized profusely in cutely broken English. "I'm sorry; I'm so sorry, Sunbae!"

And Mee-Yon was thankful for the darkness partially concealing her because she knew she had to be blushing like mad. She could feel the intense heat upon her cheeks, and her heart wouldn't stop racing. What the heck was wrong with her, anyway?

She prepared to rush out of the room—and possibly find some hole to crawl into and die. But then, Aidan flipped on the lamp beside his bed. "It's OK," he said, as he looked upon her with a smile.

"Um," she cleared . "Are you OK now, Aidan Sunbae?" she asked, avoiding eye contact.

"Yes," he nodded. "I just had a nightmare…about my parents."

Mee-Yon nodded somberly. She was curious but didn't want to pry.

"They…died."

Mee-Yon's face grew sad. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Sunbae."

He nodded. "Thanks."

"You know, my appa was orphaned at a young age, too."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Aidan beckoned for Mee-Yon to have a seat on the bed. She sat down on the end of it and listened to Aidan talk about his parents.

Aidan had been very sad, but now he grew wistful and almost cheerful. "You know, I've never opened up to anyone like this before, aside from my sister," he said after relating his story to her. "But you're so easy to talk to… I wonder why that is…," he mused. "Perhaps we are soulmates, Yoon Mee-Yon?"

Mee-Yon's lips parted, and she simply stared at him.

"I was just joking, Yoon Mee-Yon," Aidan replied with a smile.

Mee-Yon chuckled nervously. "Well, I should…probably get back to bed, Sunbae." And she prepared to rush out again, but Aidan called her back.

"Did you forget something, Mee-Yon-ah?" he asked, holding up the stuffed otter. "This must be yours, right? You are the otter, aren't you?"

Mee-Yon gave another awkward laugh and nodded. She went to him and took the otter, feeling utterly mortified. "You probably think I'm a big baby for having this, but it's really special to me."

"Oh?"

"Yes, my appa sent it to me when he was in the military."

Aidan nodded. "I see. That does make it special."

"Yes, more than you know. You see, I didn't see my appa for practically the first two years of my life… He had to go into the military right after I was born. And then he was missing in action for a while, too. Everyone thought he could be dead. I didn't understand what was going on then, but I just knew that my eomma was sad."

"I see. Well, I'm glad your appa made it back," he said.

Mee-Yon smiled. "Gomawo, Aidan Sunbae. Me too, and…," she paused, staring down at her hands. "…I'm so very sorry about your parents."

"It's OK," he mustered his best smile.

"You know, it may sound dumb, but…"

Aidan simply waited for her to continue.

"Sleeping with my otter made me feel closer to Appa…because it was a gift from him. He touched it, and it had his smell on it. Hugging the otter was like hugging Appa; loving the otter was like loving Appa. Somehow I felt like it kept Appa there with me."

Aidan was truly touched, and he felt himself welling up.

"You must think I'm a stupid, sentimental little girl…"

Aidan's response was immediate. "No, I don't. I think you're sweet," he said in an affectionate tone.

Mee-Yon flushed. "Do you have anything like that…of your eomma and appa?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. I have a stuffed bear from my parents."

Mee-Yon smiled.

"So, Yoon Mee-Yon, do you promise not to tell anyone about my secret…about my stuffed animal? I promise not to tell about yours. Pinkie swear?" and he held out his pinkie finger to her.

"Well, actually some people already know," she grinned. "But, yes, I promise Sunbae," and she hesitantly held out her pinkie to him. He wrapped his around hers.

"Oppa," he corrected. "Like I said before, call me Oppa."

Mee-Yon glanced away. "OK, Oppa…," and she shyly smiled.

"Well, I should…get back to bed. I'm sorry to disturb you, Sunba-er…Oppa!" and she quickly rushed out of the room.

Aidan watched her leave and smiled.