Chapter 78: The Duel of the Dual King Artifacts

Next Gen Magicians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The magical energy that flowed through Elder Cosmic’s wands was so powerful, they began to glow in the colours of the magical beasts within. From the orange and pink hues of her magical wands, it was safe to say she possessed the powers of a phoenix and a unicorn. Taeyeon knew she was facing off against King artifacts again, but this time was very, very different. Taeyeon and King were rivals of the highest extent and would be reasonable to say archenemies at one point. However, when it came to their battles, they were fairly equal in their approaches. It was nothing more than fist against fist in the magical sense. Taeyeon would shoot arrows here and there, but most of their strikes against one another would be done through physical means. This fight against Elder Cosmic was different though, extremely different. Since Elder Cosmic was a runic, she would do anything for Taeyeon to get close to her, because the closer Taeyeon was, the deeper she fell into Elder Cosmic’s trapped territory. Runes already were an extremely powerful form of magic, and their main flaw was their inability to be written quickly, nor to be ranged weapons. However, with Elder Cosmic’s wands, she can summon them on a whim and as far as she wanted from herself. To top it all off, that was merely what the orange wand granted her to do, Taeyeon had yet to see the pink wand’s ability. The logical approach would be for Taeyeon to keep as far away as possible from Elder Cosmic, but because of her defensive runes, Taeyeon’s barrage of arrows would never be able to pierce the endless barriers. Her only chance was with her emerald scaled arms and sharpened claws. Taeyeon wasted no more time, she flew as fast as she could towards Elder Cosmic. She planned to rip apart any rune that blocked her path, but she had no idea what Elder Cosmic’s counterattack would be. Elder Cosmic raised her pink wand in the air and compelled a pink rune to form. She pushed it in front of her to guard herself, but the next thing Taeyeon saw was that single rune had expanded towards the floor and ceiling. This created a circle that separated Elder Cosmic and Taeyeon. Taeyeon could easily destroy the rune’s defenses. It was torn like wet paper with her claws, but that wasn’t the problem, it simply kept regenerating itself. Elder Cosmic had formed and infinity barrier between them and Taeyeon had no plan to break through. Ever swipe Taeyeon took would be as if she had never touched the rune. “Amazing, isn’t it? How it’s completely impossible to destroy.” Elder Cosmic smiled. Surprisingly, Taeyeon could only laugh in response to Elder Cosmic’s pathetic trick.

“Is that it?? You can extend the size of your runes? Whoa!! I’m so impressed.” Taeyeon scoffed sarcastically.

“You dare laugh at my barrier? You must be crazy. Maybe the impossibility of winning has finally hit your brain. You’ve gone hysterical.” Elder Cosmic suggested.

“No, I’m laughing because I may not be able to break through this wall, but neither can you. You know, I used to think I was invincible with these emerald scales, but a friend showed me I was merely indestructible, not invincible.” Taeyeon smirked.

“You talk as if there is a difference between indestructibility and invincibility, but they are merely one of the same.” Elder Cosmic retorted.

“With runes of that stature, it would take a significant amount of energy to keep it regenerating like that. Meaning, you can’t make any more runes.” Taeyeon continued to smirk at her worried advisory.

“I don’t need any more runes, this single one will keep me safe from you long enough to finish the ritual.” Elder Cosmic replied.

“You don’t need any more runes? Well, it’s true I can’t hurt you from behind the rune, but what about them?” Elder Cosmic turned to where Taeyeon’s emerald scaled finger was pointing. Next thing she knew there were tens, maybe even hundreds of Taeyeon clones right behind her. In her panicked state, Elder Cosmic shifted the gigantic pink barrier around herself and then pushed it towards the group of clones. She vaporized them all easily, but Taeyeon couldn’t care less because this left Elder Cosmic wide open. She slammed her to the side and the poor old lady dropped one of her prized wands. The pink one was still in her grasps, but since the orange wand was the one that allowed her to summon runes in the air, Taeyeon had the tactical advantage of flight. This tactical advantage didn’t last long.

 

Elder Cosmic summoned a teleporting rune beneath herself and an area close to her orange wand. In less than a second, she was inches away from retrieving her king wand. Taeyeon had a choice, stop her from retrieving her wand and keep the tactical advantage, or stop Reaper from summoning the almighty divinity. The answer seemed extremely obvious at the time, so Taeyeon disregarded Elder Cosmic for the moment and swooped quickly towards Reaper. Elder Cosmic’s brief loss of focus meant he was completely open for an attack and with Taeyeon’s great speed she knocked him far away from the magic lamp. She expected the lamp to cease its glow, to halt its progression, but something was wrong. The magical lamp continued to burn bright with magical essence if anything the ritual was on the verge of ending and Taeyeon had no idea how to stop it. “There’s no use child, Reaper has already given enough power to open the portal. The lamp is merely waiting for the awakening of the divinity to allow him safe passage.” Elder Cosmic stated.

 

Was this it? Was this where it all ends? At this point, there was no way she could prevent the release of the divinity from the ethereal real and once it is summoned, there would be no way for them to defeat it. According to legend, it took the cooperation of the original four mages, the most powerful mages in history, to cripple the divinity and send him back to the ethereal realm. Keep in mind, these four were in the possession of all three king artifacts, in other words, each of them had the power of a phoenix, a dragon, and a unicorn. These mages couldn’t combine king abilities like Taeyeon and Elder Cosmic, but having all three king artifacts in their possession was only just enough power to send the divinity back. Taeyeon, Elder Cosmic, and Tiffany were the only ones known at t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter