Chapter 48: The Battle Begins

Next Gen Magicians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey guys :D i planned to write a lot more than this as a thank you for your amazing support to get me to 200 subscribers haha i honestly would have never thought i would get this far but all of you made that possible. Thank you so much, but the reason why i didnt write more was because at the moment i'm incredibly sick and sleep deprived from doing uni work. I'm legitimately coughing non stop right now and i have a splitting headache, so i hope you all enjoy this for now. i tried to leave it on a cliff hanger? but i've never been good at those haha. thank you so much again for the support and look forward to the next 

They day had finally arrived, everyone was anxious as to how it would turn out, particularly Yoona and Seohyun. They knew Tiffany and Taeyeon would take care of them no matter what, but for the first time they’re going to use their powers outside the bunker, it was extremely daunting. Not to mention the fact that this battle wasn’t just against common criminals and thieves, it was against one of the biggest crime bosses in New York whom also happened to be an exceptionally powerful mage. When Taeyeon had first used her powers, she stuck to relatively low tier crime until the higher end of the spectrum ended up looking for her. She had time to work up her powers, learn them and somewhat prepare for the Wyverns when they first appeared, but even then, most of her wins against them were close calls. Especially the last time she fought in Time Square. Sunny was definitely worried for everyone’s well-being because of this fact, obviously, Tiffany and Taeyeon were extremely powerful, but to let Yoona and Seohyun fight the Komodos with such little experience was a terrifying thought even though Sunny had been the one to encourage Taeyeon to teach them magic. However, something that did soothe Sunny’s worries was the fact that Taeyeon was unbelievably calm and not the arrogant, over confident type calm she had displayed a year and a half ago, but a genuine tranquillity. “You seem… ready for this Tae?” Sunny asked slowly. Taeyeon shifted her gaze off of the city and back towards her long time best friend, Sunny. “Well, I’ve been preparing for this day for a while now. King isn’t going to push me around like a pathetic child anymore, but it also means he’s not going to take it easy on me. From where I stand though, we’re equals and anyone has a chance to win this fight.” Taeyeon responded still in a calm manner.

“Yah, this confidence is too cool. What happened to my dorky, adorable and timid friend who blushed every time a specific eye-smiling queen walked by?” Sunny laughed.

“I’m still that person Sunny, but today… today isn’t for me. It’s not even for Fany, Yoong or Seo, it’s for Shinju. I’m going to retrieve his soul today and return him to where he rightfully belongs.” Taeyeon answered.

“He’d be proud of you Tae. I know I am, you’ve come so far from since you first showed me your powers. Remember that day? You came in at an ungodly hour, particularly in New York since it’s so dangerous at night. Your ears popped as we went up the elevator for the first time and when you first entered this apartment your jaw wouldn’t leave the floor.” Sunny smiled.

“And I shot that apple off of your head, but was kinda tempted to shoot slightly below it…” Taeyeon laughed.

“Aish you’re such an ! Face the facts though, if you did that you’d be so lost. You couldn’t have done half the things you achieved without my help.” Sunny stuck her tongue out towards Taeyeon teasingly.

“I definitely can’t deny that Sunny, because just like normal… YOU’RE ALWAYS RIGHT!!”

“YOU’RE ALWAYS RIGHT!!” They said in unison.

“Did you just read my mind? Cheater…” Taeyeon teased.

“Oh please Tae doesn’t take a mind reader to know what you were about to say.” Sunny laughed. From there, they went quiet and stared over the city, listening to the sounds of sirens flooding their way toward Time Square.

 

That night that Taeyeon had revealed her powers to Sunny was definitely a strange one, but whenever she thought back to it, she never once regretted that Taeyeon chose her to be the “girl in the chair” or aka sidekick. Because not only did Sunny help Taeyeon change her perspective on the heroism, Taeyeon changed Sunny’s perspective on everything else. After Yuri, she never thought she could love again or give it a second go, but Taeyeon was there to encourage her. Sunny was always book smart, but apart from that never really had anything else going for her. She never knew what she wanted to do in life, but once she saw how determined Taeyeon was about saving the city, she knew that she would have this girl’s back for years, decades and if life were to allow it, centuries. Sunny always wanted to make a difference in the world and would have probably entered the field of science just like her parents in order to do so, but Taeyeon changed everything. Taeyeon demonstrated to her that it doesn’t take complex mathematics and scientific theories to change the world and the only thing you need is a drop of hope. The single drop of hope was like orange dye in a massive body of water. It initially affects the water quickly and with great strength, easily dying some of the water orange on the first impact. But in order to fully dye that vast body of water, in order for Taeyeon to spread the hope all around the city, it would take time and patience until eventually the dye and the water were one body. And for many who didn’t live in New York, they saw Vermilion merely was a party trick or a publicity stunt for New York to attract more visitors, but for the true New Yorkers, they all knew how strong Taeyeon’s beacon of hope was and that it wasn’t merely a hoax. They all knew that she would do anything for this city and whether the public outside of New York shunned her, or whether the police department deemed her as a vigilante, they would endlessly route for her under any circumstances.

 

Yoona, Seohyun and Tiffany had finally prepared for their battle and met Taeyeon at the balcony that overlooked the incredible city. Sunny glanced at them all for a second and wondered how she had been so lucky to meet such a bunch of people so adamant about saving a city. “You guys ready?” Sunny asked.

“I’m always ready.” Tiffany responded.

“Us two!!” The sisters yelled.

“Why’d it take you guys so long to change then?” Taeyeon laughed.

“Aye, for us it’s easy to get ready TaeTae, but for poor Yoona and Seohyun here, they had to really struggle to put this outfit on.” Yoona and Seohyun could be seen wearing identical, short cut, sparkly, silver suits with blue accents for Yoona and white accents for Seohyun on it, which Tiffany had designed herself (aka the silver sparkly suits from Allnight MV except different coloured strips, those outfits were amazing haha, if only they got their proper promotion we would’ve seen it more than just once live 3). The outfits were definitely amazing and Tiffany should be proud of her marvellous design, however, Taeyeon was mostly concerned how comfortable the girls were in the outfits. Unlike their self-conjured costumes, there was no guarantee that these suits fit to perfection and may hinder both of the girl’s abilities to fight at full capacity. “Fany-ah, are you sure they’re comfortable in that? We don’t want them to have to readjust their outfits in the middle of a magic battle you know.” Taeyeon questioned.

“No Unnie, these feel great honestly. I can run just as fast as usual in this suit.” Yoona answered.

“Yeah, they’re well cut and pretty. We shouldn’t have problems during the fighting.” Seohyun also replied.

“Well, that settles it then, off to Time Square we go, ladies, time to save this city from King and Reaper!!!” Taeyeon said as she jumped off the balcony and zoomed towards the city.

“She does realise we can’t fly right?” Seohyun asked,

“I don’t know about you guys, but I got my ride.” Tiffany summoned Cherry Blossom forth in the middle of the balcony.

“What the hell!!? Tiffany why are we so high up?? And didn’t I explicitly tell you not to just conjure me yet? You’re not fully trained to…” Tiffany cut her off.

“Look Cherry, we need to get there as fast as possible and you’re my only hope. Pretty please??” Tiffany battered her eyelashes and pouted in an incredibly cute way.

“Aish, fine. Just to get to the location. As soon as we’re there, I’m going back into the stone so you don’t over fatigue yourself.” Cherry agreed. Tiffany hopped on to her noble steed and also jumped off the balcony. It took everyone by surprise obviously because Cherry was a unicorn and not a Pegasus, so she wouldn’t be able to fly. They all ran to the edge of the balcony to see Tiffany and Cherry running down across the building. “Wow, it takes unbelievable speeds to generate that much friction.” Sunny exclaimed.

“Well, that’s easy for me.” Yoona zoomed down from the balcony leaving only Seohyun and Sunny in the room.

“Aish, that girl. Didn’t even take me with he…” Before Seohyun could finish her sentence, Yoona and returned, picked her up and dashed towards the centre of the city. Sunny silently watched as all her friends made their way towards an epic battle and their nerves were truly settling in this time. Sunny was met with a warm back hug as she looked over the balcony, from none other than her amazing girlfriend Yuri. She also gave Sunny a soft kiss on the cheek and encouraged her by saying, “You know they’ll be fine Soonkyu, all of them, even the sisters are amazing. They’ll win today’s battle and come home safely.”  

“Thanks, Yul, I know they will, but… it’s like a mother watching her children leave home for the first time you know? I’ve watched over Tae for so long, it feels strange not being out there with her in the dire moments like this.” Sunny admitted.

“Does that mean what I think it means??” Yuri asked excitedly.

“No Kwon Yul! I’m not going to use magic. I’m not the hero of this arc, I’m the girl in the chair, Lee Soonkyu!” Sunny told Yuri telepathically.

“If that’s how you want it, babe. By the way, have you seen Hyo? I checked her room to ask her if she wanted breakfast and she already left.”

“Really? That’s… strange…” Sunny wondered.

 

The girls had all arrived at Time Square and as no surprise, there were full SWAT teams secure the area for the threat and once the girls had appeared all eyes and gun sight lines were on them. “STATE YOUR INTENTIONS HERE!!!” Screamed the chief through a megaphone. Taeyeon summons her own orange megaphone and replies in the same manner to the chief. “TO HELP DEFEND THIS AREA!!!”

“WE DON’T NEED NO HELP FROM A BUNCH OF LAWLESS VIGILANTES. LEAVE THE PREMISES NOW!!”

“Aish, how rude. We’re only here to help…” Yoona sighed.

“Don’t worry Yoon…” Taeyeon had to stop herself there when she realised that they had yet to give the Im sisters official code names.

“Don’t worry Vermilion, I already thought about it, Ivory the Enchantress and Azura the Speed Empress.” Tiffany smiled.

“Are you trying to show that you’re way better than coming up with names than I am?” Taeyeon pouted.

“Aww come on Vermilion, Sakura the Sorceress is an amazing name, but I knew we’d be in public today and we’d need to conceal their identities. So, we discussed it while getting ready.” Tiffany explained.

“What do you guys think of your names?” Taeyeon asked Yoona and Seohyun.

“I love Azura, it really goes with the blue lightning that trails behind me.” Yoona smiled.

“That’s not fair! Azura had so many shades to choose from because there’s so many variations of blue and I got white because of the glow that occurs around an object I possess. Lucky Sakura found Ivory otherwise I would have been stuck with something boring like cotton or cream.” Seohyun shook her head.

“Don’t worry, I think both of those names suite both of you well, a lot more in your case,” Taeyeon points to Seohyun.

“Ivory is quite a sophisticated colour to match your sophisticated p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter