Chapter 44: Time's Running Thin

Next Gen Magicians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After Taeyeon’s toast, the group simply enjoyed their delicious meal that was, of course, being paid in full by Sunny, she felt that this moment was worth spending for, so she spared no expense. While this was all happening though, Yoona couldn’t help but admire Taeyeon’s natural leadership. Everyone in the table respected her without a doubt and not only that, no matter how dorky she acted or how strange the things she said were, everyone always looked at her as the leader. As Yoona stared at Taeyeon, every so often their glances would meet and Yoona would have no choice but to look away in embarrassment from being caught staring. Every time she did so, her cheeks would flush with a bright rose red and she couldn’t even blame the crimson shade on alcohol since she was underage. She had no idea why she would stare so often at Taeyeon, but of course, her sister had caught on to it and simply stated to her that she admired Taeyeon’s authority. She gave off the air of a world leader or nobility so it was natural that Yoona would admire her from afar and since Seohyun had put it that way, Yoona had simply decided to believe it was just that. Taeyeon also noticed Yoona’s stares and would usually just lift an eyebrow or two to signal if Yoona wanted to ask her something, but like previously mentioned, Yoona couldn’t even respond to this. Yoona wasn’t the only one staring over at Taeyeon, okay besides Tiffany too, someone else was staring down Taeyeon for another reason. Jessica couldn’t take her eyes of Taeyeon, not in an infatuated manner, but a curious one. She had so many questions for Taeyeon, like where she had actually gone for the year and a half? did she have to move schools? And was she taking tertiary studies here in New York? So many questions were running through Jessica’s mind but didn’t dare to ask in case she overstepped her friendship with Taeyeon. Sunny could hear all these thoughts and decided to ask Taeyeon about her opinion on Jessica’s curiosity. “Tae, have you noticed Jessica’s been staring at you?” Sunny asked telepathically.

“Yeah, what’s she thinking about Sunny?”

“She wants to know what happened to you, where you went for a year and a half. She wants to know the details.” Sunny explained.

“I guess that’s fair. She’s the only one who doesn’t know about the super powers so the troubled finances story is probably a bit vague for her. Should I tell her? Or at least ask Soo to explain it to her later?” But before Sunny could answer Taeyeon, Jessica had already started asking her question.

“Tae, if you don’t mind me asking, where did you go for the entire year and a half?” Jessica questioned.

“Um, well… you see…” Taeyeon was stuck, although the majority of the time Jessica was quite silent and reserved about her emotions, once she was surprised by something, she always released a deafening dolphin squeal. Taeyeon didn’t want to attract any unwanted attention, so maybe it would just be best for her to lie? Luckily, Sooyoung had her back. “Babe, don’t you remember? Taeyeon had financial problems so she had to move out of the city for something a bit more affordable.” Sooyoung reasoned.

“Where exactly did you move to though?” Jessica persisted on.

“Umm, Springfield, Massachusetts,” Taeyeon answered spontaneously.

“Oh? Was it much more affordable there?” Jessica continued on her curiosity.

“Yeah, but I later found out that um… my guardian was actually very Ill and wanted to spend his last few months in a town rather than a big city.” Taeyeon lied.

“Oh, is he…” Jessica asked slowly.

“Yeah, but don’t worry. I had a long time to mourn, Hyoyeon over there helped me through a lot of the tough times.” Taeyeon continued her string of lies for Jessica.

“So, after he… what did you do?”

“Well I couldn’t afford to return to New York yet, so I got multiple jobs and started saving up to come back here.”

“Wow, you really are incredible Tae. It that you didn’t get to go to graduation, but I think none of us was more disappointed that Tiffany. She didn’t go to graduation either because of your absence.” Jessica explained. This had been the first time Taeyeon had heard about this, it didn’t surprise her but she did feel quite guilty for ruining Tiffany’s high school experience.

“Not to mention she didn’t even come to prom…” Jessica continued. Sooyoung couldn’t hold back anymore and gave her girlfriend a good nudge to gesture to her it was time to stop. Taeyeon never knew that Tiffany had missed out on the key parts of being a high schooler, she couldn’t believe that she had missed out all of the big events just because Taeyeon was forced to leave. From this moment onwards, Taeyeon swore in her mind to make it up to her one way or another. “Proms overrated anyways.” Yuri said to back up her best friend.

“Thank, Yuri.” Tiffany laughed.

“Does that mean we shouldn’t go to prom??” Yoona asked.

“Depends, do you have someone special?” Sunny winked.

“Ugh, well….” Yoona simply couldn’t answer that, she had many admirers at school, but none of them really seemed to hit the mark for her.

“We can just go as sisters right Seo?” Yoona smiled.

“Um, but I already have a date…” Seohyun confessed.

“What??? Who with?” Yoona asked with incredible shock.

“Yonghwa asked me when you weren’t at school and I agreed. Since you weren’t there to consult with, I had to answer on the spot.” Seohyun said with some guilt.

“Aye, why the long face Seo? I’m proud of you!!!” Yoona gave her sister a tight side hug and ruffled her hair a little, the hug was sweet, but the ruffling of hair did annoy Seohyun slightly.

“YAH! Don’t do that to my hair!”

“Well if you have a date, I guess I better go find one as well. Don’t want everyone to think y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter