Chapter 9: Sunny Joins the Crusade

Next Gen Magicians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was around 7 pm by the time Taeyeon had left the apartment after having a huge disagreement with Shinju. She couldn’t handle the fact he wasn’t on her side, but what she didn’t understand was his reasoning. He was worried for her, but she wasn’t stupid. She knew the dangers that lie ahead of her, that same danger is probably the reason why she doesn’t have her real family with her. If they could sacrifice their child’s childhood to help the world, why couldn’t Taeyeon do the same? Taeyeon knew that she wasn’t thinking clearly and that there was a possibility she was taking this all out of proportion. She needed an unbiased party, someone who would put things bluntly whether she was right or wrong about the matter and that person was none other than Sunny.

 

You may say Sunny is a biased choice since she’s Taeyeon’s best friend, but the fact of the matter was, Sunny was indifferent about friendships when it came to someone’s safety and wellbeing. She cared for everyone, even the ones who would mistreat her. During the basketball match between Taeyeon and Sooyoung, she told Taeyeon to throw the match because she knew it would hurt Sooyoung’s pride the most. Though Sooyoung was always bullying her about her height and her squeaky tone, she didn’t wish the worst for Soo. This was the type of person Sunny was, she always put others before herself. So Tae dialed up her number and asked her for a favor. “Hey Sunny? You home?”

“Yeah, why do you ask?”

“I need a place to crash for a few nights. Also…” Taeyeon froze for a second. Was it really appropriate of her to talk about such a confidential topic with Sunny? She wondered.

“Taeyeon? You still there?”

“Yeah, yeah sorry. I was just saying there’s something I want to talk to you about. Something I need your opinion on. So I’m coming over, text me your address.”

“Yeah sure thing Tae.”

 

She found out that Sunny lived quite far away from her neighborhood. Sunny actually lived in a fancy apartment building in the central area of New York City. Taeyeon entered the building and was met with a friendly concierge and Sunny herself. Sunny wore a simple white tank top and a comfy pair of pajama bottoms with cute little Disney characters spotted all over it. “Sunny what are you doing? I would’ve just went up the elevator, you didn’t have to come down and get me.” Taeyeon felt bad for forcing Sunny to leave the comfort of her own home and to be seen in public with bed wear on.

“Nah don’t worry about it Tae. Besides, if I didn’t come get you, Geoffrey here wouldn’t have let you come up. Strict orders from my parents to not let anyone up to the penthouse unless I officially allow access.” Wow, Taeyeon thought. Is she rich? What did her parent’s do for a living? And many more wonders began to circulate in Taeyeon’s mind.

“Well, come on then Tae, let’s go up. It’s a long elevator trip.” Sunny laughed.

"You probably have questions about what my parents do and all that." Tae nodded to signal she was right.

"But sorry to break it to you Tae, my parents keep their work very confidential. So confidential that I have no idea what they do. All I know is they're always traveling around and barely have any time to spend actually at home. So they let me live by myself at a penthouse so it's secure." Taeyeon knew only too much about the miseries of growing up without parents.

"I know exactly how you feel Sunny." Tae gave her a little smile and a side hug to comfort the girl from her parentless life.

 

Sunny wasn’t even kidding about the elevator trip. The elevator trip to the top of the building literally took around seven minutes to finish. When they finally reached the top, Taeyeon’s ears were blocked up by the air pressure. Taeyeon had never been up high altitudes before since she had never been on a plane. Shinju would always drive her across the country saying it was a much safer way to travel. But Taeyeon already knew statistically that car accidents occur much more frequently than airplane accidents. “You alright?” Sunny laughed at Taeyeon’s strange expression about the weird sensation in her ears.

“I’ve never been up this high before so my ears feel kinda sore, that’s all.”

“Don’t worry it’s a normal occurrence if you come her often enough though you get used to it.” Sunny made an OK sign with her hands to lift Tae’s spirits. They entered the apartment and Sunny offered to make some tea for Taeyeon. She happily agreed to the beverage because it was absolutely freezing outside. Taeyeon sat on the counter top while she quietly watched Sunny make the tea, but the silence caught on to Sunny so she made the first move. “You seemed upset when we spoke on the phone a while ago. Want to share what happened?” Taeyeon was hesitant to respond since she didn’t even know where to begin.

“I had an argument with my parental guardian.”

“Let me guess, it was about the news?” Taeyeon was shocked at what Sunny had just said, so much so that her cute brown eyes had widened significantly. Sunny also caught this reaction and began to smirk. “I knew it Taeyeon, you’re the person who was on the news.”

“Pfft, no way. That wasn’t me. Clearly that…” Before she continued Sunny cut her off.

“Remember Taeyeon you can’t lie to me. I always know when someone’s lying and before you try to give reasons for why it’s not you, I’d like to give you reasons why it is in fact you. First off, I did some rough calculations and based on the angle of the camera footage, your shadow in the footage and the time the footage was recorded. The person on the news

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter