// fin \\

Don't break us apart

Joshua was a shy, soft spoken person. Ask anybody, and they’ll tell you that Joshua never shouted, always smiled, never fought with the others. He always backed down if things got too heated. He was willing to sacrifice what he wanted to keep peace.

Jeonghan and Joshua were definitely the closest friends both predebut and as of now. They were practically with each other 24/7 before, since Jeonghan had also been shy back then and Joshua immediately sidled up to him. The two were inseparable, really. Eventually Jeonghan opened up more and hung out more comfortably with the other members.

But everybody still knew Joshua and Jeonghan were the closest.

There was one person who wasn’t particularly happy about that, however. He didn’t show it, of course, but he gritted his teeth whenever Joshua and Jeonghan laughed at a joke only they shared, or looked at each other knowingly, or did anything that was exclusively between them two.

He couldn’t help himself from easing in between the two slowly.

Seungcheol just really liked Jeonghan. Was that wrong?

He always laughed extra loudly at Jeonghan’s antics, took every opportunity to hug him or pat him on the back, smiled at him, basically anything to get Jeonghan to look at him.

So when Jeonghan still chose “Joshua” as the member he was closest to, Seungcheol clenched his fists and kept it to himself, though he decided to keep pushing. Besides, it wasn’t just him. The carats shipped them too. They were the mom and dad of the group. They belonged together.

Sometimes Jeonghan would do things that would get his hopes up, like playfully with mischief in his eyes.

But in the end, Joshua was still there, smiling innocently, always in his way.

“Joshua,” Seungcheol confronted him one day.
“Mm?” Joshua replied, not taking his eyes off the computer screen.
“I think you and Jeonghan need…some space, if you know what I mean.”
Joshua looked up, confused. “Space?”
“Like, some distance between you guys when in public, onstage, you know. Fangirls and whatnot get all sorts of ideas when they constantly see two members interacting.”
Joshua simply stared at him. “So you want me to…stay away from Jeonghan, basically?”
“For the sake of presentation and stuff. We don’t want things to get messy.”
Joshua smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes, like his smiles usually did. “Okay, I’ll do my best then, I guess. Was this a request from the manager?”
Seungcheol paused. “No, it was a request from the leader of the group who wants us to be successful.”
Joshua’s eyes traveled back to his computer screen. “Alright.”

And he kept his end of the deal, rarely interacting with Jeonghan, if at all. Seungcheol knew Joshua always listened, always put the band first. Sweet of him.

Well, it would’ve worked if Jeonghan didn’t approach Joshua all the time. Even if Joshua wanted to, the elder was always with him.

So Seungcheol tried the tactic with Jeonghan this time. Jeonghan was much more stubborn, full of “why’s,”, and “I don’t want to’s”, but eventually he agreed reluctantly, and the pair started interacting more with other members in public and the like.

Satisfied, Seungcheol took this as an opportunity to get even closer to Jeonghan. Jeonghan readily complied, smiling in the lovely way he always did.

Joshua ignored the ache in his heart as he watched Seungcheol and Jeonghan grow closer and closer. It was bound to happen, especially since the two didn’t interact much outside the dorms, and nowadays it seemed they spent most of their time away from the dorms and traveling around.

At one fanmeet, Jeonghan stuck by Joshua the whole time, surprising him. Lately Jeonghan had been with other members, so he didn’t know what to expect.

He felt a prickle at the back of his neck and turned to see Seungcheol staring at him. He quickly looked away, but the feeling still remained.
What was going on, anyway?

Joshua was once again on his laptop when the door opened and Seungcheol entered.

“Hey, can I talk to you?” Seungcheol asked casually.
Joshua nodded.
“I think the whole skinship thing with Jeonghan needs to lighten up a little. You two are too close all the time in public. You know what our fans are like. It’s best to be careful.”
Joshua sighed, gently closing his laptop.

“Seungcheol,” he said quietly, looking up at him. “Why don’t you just tell me the truth?”

That caught Seungcheol off guard and he looked at him, confused.
“The truth?”
“The truth as to why you keep requesting this over and over of me. To stay away from Jeonghan.”
“I told you it’s because of the fans.”
“What about Jun and Minghao? They’re always together.”
“That’s different…they’re both Chinese, so…”
“Vernon and Seungkwan?”
“Both young…and the only 98 liners…”

Joshua’s face remained smooth and calm, as it always was. His eyes were twinkling, but there was something off.
“Okay, I’ll try harder to keep a distance between me and Jeonghan,” he said softly, standing up to be level with Seungcheol. “But tell me the real reason you keep insisting on it.”
“I keep telling you, it’s because of the fans!”
Joshua looked at him eye to eye. “Not because you like Jeonghan?”
Seungcheol did a double take, eyes wide. “Wh-what?”
“You like Jeonghan.” It wasn’t a question.
“Wh-how did you-”
Joshua smiled, but once again it wasn’t one that held true humor to it. “It’s pretty obvious. Even the fans noticed.” He emphasized fans in a way that reminded Seungcheol of his pathetic excuse to keep them apart.
“You’re our leader. And I appreciate you doing your best to maintain Seventeen’s image. But please, don’t say this is because of the fans, when it clearly isn’t.” And with that, Joshua strode out of the room.

Seungcheol’s initial shock was replaced with a strange feeling of resentment. Oh, so now Joshua was acting like a know-it-all and smart mouthing him, was he?

Seungcheol began to hang out with Jeonghan excessively just to make a point. He didn’t know why he was mad at Joshua, but he just was.

Joshua, in turn, felt a dull throb in his gut every time he saw how they seemed to be in their own world with the teasing and bickering, like an old married couple.

He returned to his room and plugged his earphones in, listening to whatever love songs were on his playlist. He recognized the song that was on. It was the song he auditioned with when be was casted into Seventeen. It was “It’s love” by Mose. He began softly singing along to the lyrics.

"Oh, you’re my Love, you’re my love. Though I forget, you’re my love.
Though I push you away, you are always living in me.
You’re the one, you’re the one, that I want and remember.
Falling asleep with your picture in my hand and tear in my eyes….Jeonghan.“


He’d added Jeonghan’s name at the end unconsciously, but it fit nicely, like it belonged there. He sat in silence for a moment when he saw a stunned Seungcheol looking down at him.

Joshua ripped off his earbuds, panic rising in his throat. "Seungcheol?”
“You-you-” Seungcheol pointed at him. “Do you like Jeonghan?”
Joshua’s heart pounded. “N-no.”
“You do, don’t you.” His voice lowered drastically.
“I-I-”

Joshua face was burning, and he knew his façade was gone with the wind.

Seungcheol was looking at him knowingly, his eyes narrowing.
“Since when?”
Joshua looked down. There was no point lying anymore. “A long time…” he confessed in a barely audible voice.
Seungcheol sighed. “That makes us rivals then, doesn’t it?” He shook his head. “Just so you know, I won’t lose.”
He left Joshua sitting with the laptop still playing the song, reminding Joshua that his love was no longer a secret.

Seungcheol was now more motivated than ever to get Jeonghan to see him and only him. And it was working, slowly. Jeonghan started gravitating towards him, though it was usually to . Nonetheless, it still brought butterflies to his stomach.

Joshua, on the other hand, did the opposite. Every time he caught Seungcheol’s eye when the latter was with Jeonghan, he’d turn away, shuffling out of the room. It mystified Seungcheol to no end. Is he even trying?

Whenever Jeonghan did become all affectionate with Joshua, Seungcheol saw the sad smile on his face as Joshua laughed along with the older. If he had a crush on Jeonghan, why wasn’t Joshua happy to be with him?

Maybe he just doesn’t like Jeonghan as much as I do, Seungcheol concluded.

Joshua was no longer feeling lighthearted about being around Jeonghan. Every time Jeonghan got attached to him, all Joshua could remember was Seungcheol, who knew his secret. At least before, Joshua could amble around with Jeonghan in peace and play it off as friendship. But now he felt a newfound tension in the air and he didn’t like it, not one bit.

But still, that didn’t mean he liked to see Seungcheol and Jeonghan always getting along. When Jeonghan’s face grew red because of something Seungcheol said, it was a direct punch in the gut for him. And he knew Seungcheol had seen Joshua was right there. Which hurt even more. He wondered how it had gotten to this point. Stupid love.

Unknowingly, Joshua began to grow distant. Since he was already one of the more reserved members in the group, it wasn’t noticed immediately. But his heart hurt and he just wanted some peace away from all this pointless strain.

What Joshua hated most was how it affected his relationship with Seungcheol. He really admired the leader, always strong when he needed to be with a kind heart. But now he knew Seungcheol held a sort of disfavor towards him, and he hated it so much.

Joshua was a shy, soft spoken person. Ask anybody, and they’ll tell you that Joshua never shouted, always smiled, never fought with the others. He always backed down if things got too heated.

He was willing to sacrifice what he wanted to keep peace.

“Joshua,” Seungcheol propounded.

What could Seungcheol possibly want now?

“Yes?”
Seungcheol gave him a long, hard look. “You like Jeonghan, right?
Joshua was getting tired of this. “Yes.”
“So why are you avoiding him all the time? Jeonghan told me, he said he doesn’t know what he did to make you mad at him.”
“I’m not mad at him.”
“So why are you avoiding him?”
Seungcheol scrutinized him, displeasure on his face.
“I didn’t realize I was avoiding him,” Joshua lied, looking at his beloved laptop screen to avoid confronting Seungcheol’s gaze.
“That’s a lie.”
Seungcheol walked up to him and swatted his laptop shut so Joshua would look at him. “Is this your strategy? Making Jeonghan notice you by distancing yourself and hurting him?” he accused, glaring at Joshua.
Joshua did a double take. “N-no! I-I wouldn’t do something like that.”
“Then why are you avoiding him? That’s all he talks to me about these days and it’s annoying me.”

Joshua felt an overwhelming sense of melancholy at the situation. Seungcheol was only asking about him because Jeonghan was. Is this what we’ve come to?

“I give up.” The words resounded in the empty room with a heavy overtone.
“Excuse me?”
“I said I give up. You win, leader. I’m not going to chase after him anymore. You and Jeonghan should be together.” Joshua’s voice was emotionless, but his eyes were blazing with all sorts of hidden feeling.
Seungcheol looked as if Joshua had just spoken gibberish. “What are you talking about?”
“I…give up. Actually, I no longer have a crush on Jeonghan,” Joshua lied, forcing a smile. “So let’s just forget this ever happened.”
“You don’t…like him anymore?” Seungcheol repeated in disbelief.
Joshua got up. He couldn’t stay here much longer. “No. I don’t. I wish you two the best of luck.” He started moving past Seungcheol towards the door to leave this suffocating atmosphere.

Seungcheol came up behind Joshua just as he began opening the door and slammed it shut, trapping Joshua between him and the door. Joshua froze and remained facing away from Seungcheol, his hand still on the doorknob.

“What the hell, Joshua? How do you expect me to believe that?” Seungcheol snapped, his arm still forcing the door closed.

Joshua didn’t respond, simply standing there staring at the door he couldn’t leave from.

“Just tell me the truth, or stop doing what you’re doing,” Seungcheol warranted. After another round of silence, he grabbed Joshua’s thin shoulder and spun him around.


Joshua was crying.


Seungcheol recoiled and took a step back, stunned. Joshua looked down, his bangs falling over his eyes as tears silently dripped down his face.

“J-Joshua-” he started.

Joshua sniffed and rubbed his eyes harshly to eliminate the traitorous liquid off his face. He could feel Seungcheol probably judging him for weeping like an idiot.

“I do,” he admitted in a broken voice. “I do like Jeonghan. But…because of our…stupid rivalry I can’t be happy with him. So I’m just going to back off and...let you have him since you probably like him more than me anyway...” Joshua hid his face behind his sleeve, praying Seungcheol would just leave him be.

Seungcheol felt sick. He felt like a curtain had just been unveiled and now he was just seeing the whole picture. Joshua hadn’t been avoiding Jeonghan because he wanted the latter to notice him, it was the opposite. It was just his narrow minded thinking that jumped to that conclusion.

Frankly speaking, he felt like a piece of .

“I-I’m sorry-” he stammered, moving back towards Joshua. Joshua kept sniffling into his sleeve and , Seungcheol wanted to die right there. Or let the ground open up beneath him and swallow him whole.

“Sorry for not thinking,” he continued, unsure of what to do.

“I h-hate seeing us like this,” Joshua replied in a choked voice. “I cherish you, Seungcheol. I d-don’t want us to be fighting…” his voice cracked and he rubbed at his eyes roughly.

Seungcheol wondered if this is what it felt like to have your heart ripped from your chest, stomped on, then torn into a million pieces. He reached over with a gentleness he didn’t even know he had as he wrapped his hand around Joshua’s and pried it away from the smaller’s face. Joshua’s face was a mess, his dovelike eyes puffy and reddened. Joshua’s gaze met his and it was like an arrow to the heart.

So Seungcheol did the logical thing and placed both his hands on Joshua’s trembling face.

Then he leaned over and kissed his tear dampened lips.

And when Joshua shakily put his hands on Seungcheol’s chest and held onto his shirt, Seungcheol deepened the contact, lips moving against each other as the older tasted the salty liquid that had fallen from Joshua’s eyes. He kissed it all away, erasing the liquified traces of misery and replacing it with the taste of something more soothing.

Joshua whimpered, and that was when Seungcheol finally pulled back, suddenly realizing what he’d just done. Joshua’s eyes were bright and shining, his lips still parted and breathing a bit erratic.

“-I have no clue why I just did that-I’m so sorry-” Seungcheol stuttered, already itching to kiss those round lips again.

Joshua gulped, his eye-catching Adam’s apple bobbing up and down. “S-Seungcheol-” he breathed, leaning against the door behind him for support, since he felt like he might fall over any second.

But Joshua wanted more. He wanted to keep on going. He didn’t understand what was going on one bit, but he didn’t care.

Seungcheol shifted back towards him once more, hesitancy in his movements.

“Seungcheol…” Joshua repeated in another breathy whisper that sent tremors down the leader’s neck. Joshua looked up at him with eyes full of longing. “Don’t stop…”

And that’s when all reasoning flew out the window and Seungcheol pinned Joshua against the door and enveloped him in kisses, moving past merely lip contact as their lips parted and delved further. Joshua wrapped his arms around Seungcheol’s neck to steady himself as Seungcheol lightly bit his bottom lip, eliciting a small gasp from him. Seungcheol’s hands dipped down towards the collar of Joshua’s shirt and deftly undid the first few buttons, moving the fabric away from Joshua’s neck and collar region.

Joshua’s knees almost gave out beneath him when Seungcheol lowered his head down to the nape of his neck and began pressing his lips against the delicate skin. He let out an involuntary moan at the touch, and his hand quickly flew to his mouth to muffle the noise.

Seungcheol chuckled a little at that and lifted his head. Which was a mistake because Joshua looked absolutely provocative with his seductive cat eyes gazing back at him, the top part of his shirt undone and his collarbones exposed. In one swift movement, he grabbed both of Joshua’s wrists and pinned them above his head, satisfied by the power he held over the younger.


“If you’re going to moan, at least let me hear it,” Seungcheol growled, his voice rough and laced with desire.

Not giving Joshua the chance to fight back, he moved down and starting the sensitive skin of his neck, evoking the most ing heavenly sounds from the younger. Joshua tried biting his lip to contain the noise but it was too much. Seungcheol ran his hands down Joshua’s slender frame, ing as he went along. Soon Joshua’s shirt was being pulled off him in one smooth .

Jesus christ, his body was even more enticing shirtless, the smooth expanse of his skin begging to be littered with marks of lust.

Joshua let out a shuddering gasp when Seungcheol began playing with the round buds on his chest, rolling them in his fingers like a toy. His hands still pinned above his head, Joshua could only let out a series of obscene noises that were driving the older crazy. He kept kissing and leaving hickeys all over Joshua’s creamy skin, occasionally scraping his teeth against a particularly sensitive spot just to hear Joshua let out another sultry cry.

“Mm…S-Seungcheol…” Joshua moaned, his eyes half open from the pleasure clouding his senses.

Seungcheol had already left his marks all over Joshua, so he lifted his head up, a mischievous glint in his eyes. “You keep saying my name, is there something you want?” he replied in a husky voice, coated in lust.

Before Joshua could respond, he ran his free hand along Joshua’s inner thigh, scraping his nails across the fabric of the younger’s pants. Joshua convulsed at the touch, his head jerking forward as he struggled against Seungcheol’s restraints.

Mmm-” he quivered, not trusting his voice enough to respond.

Seungcheol doubted he’d ever been this before in his life, enjoying the sight of Joshua writhing in his hands. He felt blood rush down south and suppressed the urge to groan. , I can’t control it anymore.

Standing up was becoming too troublesome, so he lifted Joshua up easily, causing the younger to squeak in his arms-which by the way was ing cute-and carried him over to a tiny couch in the corner of the empty room. Once there, he planted Joshua down, the petite male sprawled on his back as Seungcheol towered over him. His bulge was visible even through the thick material of his pants, and Joshua tittered as he anticipated what Seungcheol was about to do next.

At that moment, none other than Yoon Jeonghan barged into the room uninvitedly. His eyes traveled to the scene of Seungcheol pinning Joshua down on a couch, the smaller male’s shirt hanging off him and his face still sporting teartracks from earlier.

Jeonghan yelped at the sight, his voice panicky, “Wh-why-what’re you doing to Shua?”

Seungcheol cursed internally at their luck and got off Joshua, whose chest was still heaving and legs splayed apart and holy if Jeonghan wasn’t here he wouldn’t have been able to stop himself.

“Nothing,” Seungcheol muttered, straightening up.
“Shua?” Jeonghan now directed the question to the latter.
Joshua sat up, pulling his shirt back on embarrassedly. “N-nothing,” he repeated more breathlessly, causing Jeonghan to raise an eyebrow and Seungcheol to pray his arousal wouldn’t give anything away.

“Anyway, I came to let you all know that the girl I had a crush on asked me out! Isn’t that great?” Jeonghan chirped excitedly.

Seungcheol and Joshua looked at each other for a moment before bursting out into laughter, causing Jeonghan to become incredibly confused. After a while, the laughter died down and they nodded.

“That’s great, really,” Seungcheol said.
“Congrats,” Joshua added sweetly.
Jeonghan skipped away happily, and the remaining two looked at each other once more.

“The room downstairs has a lock,” Seungcheol noted.

Joshua nodded, an almost sly smirk on his lips. “Sounds perfect.”

 


 

....and plot twist! it was cheolsoo all along! now i'm gonna go cry over the recent cheolsoo pic that was posted on instagram bye