Chapter 6: The First One to Let Go, Wins

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

How long was I going to do this for?

Forget leaving my bedroom, I may just have to shower again with my pacing getting me all sweaty. 

I knew that on the other side of this door would be a world of awkwardness and when I knew that much, did I want to confront it? Of course, not. But, I also knew they would be looking for me any second now–, 

A soft knock upon my door stirs me from my silent freak-out and the bedroom door creaks open enough for Sanghee to peek her head in. She stares at me before mouthing, ‘what are you doing?’

Isn’t it goddamn obvious?

“I’m dying,” I reply in a whisper. 

“Why?” 

Because– Hanbin. Hanbin is here. In my apartment. 

She clicks her tongue due to my silence and suddenly throws open the door and… there goes my hiding spot. 

“That was one long shower, Jiwoo,” she spoke loudly to make sure everyone is totally aware of my presence. 

“Thanks, Sanghee.”

Reaching forward, she grabs my hand and pulls me out into the living room. My eyes immediately fall on Hanbin (despite me trying my best to not do that) and notice that his clothes definitely didn’t fit him anymore by the sight of the slight stretch of the old t-shirt he was sporting. We have another Skull Pounder on our hands, it seems. 

As Sanghee’s voice fills in the background, I direct my attention out the window to see that night has come but the rain is still hammering against the windows of the apartment. The end is nowhere in sight. I hold my hands together, silently praying for the rain to stop soon so that they would no longer have an excuse to stay here. 

Or better yet– give me a reason so that I can leave. 

One moment I am hoping to disappear and the next second, God grants my wish (different from how I expected but it serves its purpose). 

A loud thunder clap and then darkness follows. 

Silence fills the room while everyone is trying to register the current state of things.

“The power’s out,” Donghyuk confirms. 

I shut my eyes and silently cheer to myself– thank you, thank you. Staring out into the living room, I verify it is indeed the best thing that could happen tonight. I can’t focus on anyone and no one can focus on me. 

Thinking this is my chance to escape back into my bedroom, I didn’t hesitate to start my plan. Lifting my leg as quietly as possible, I try to step back–, 

“It’s not complete darkness, Jiwoo,” Bobby blurts and I nearly throw my head back in a groan. 

I know everyone’s eyes have adjusted to the lack of light but can’t he just pretend? Can’t he let me live? 

“What are you insinuating, Bobby?” I shot back, trying to not sound annoyed with his careless way of sabotaging my plan. “I was going to find a flashlight.”

“Why do you need a flashlight when we have our phones?” he asks. 

You know what? I’m getting sick of him questioning my every action. “I will bet money right now that all of our phones’ batteries are near their end.” I’m sure no one has thought of charging them where there was electricity and when I receive silence, I figure I’m right. 

But, after making up the excuse, I realize I have to actually do that. Turning away from them to head into the kitchen, I feel warmth around my hand. Familiar warmth. Stopping, I glance back and I didn’t need to look to know who is responsible. 

“I’ll go, you’ll just hurt yourself,” he releases my hand and walks past me.

“I’m not that clumsy,” I retort.

“Yeah, okay.”

He still smelled the same.

Can’t he change up his cologne or something? 

“It’s in the drawer closest to the fridge, Hanbin,” Suah informs him. 

“I remember,” he responds. 

Contrary to my actual desire, I could hear every little movement made by him in the kitchen. The soft footsteps that walked across the floor to reach the countertops, his hand holding onto the handle, the pull of the drawer, him shuffling through–, 

I thought the darkness would be better but it has only heightened everything else.

“It’s not in here,” his voice calls out from the kitchen.

“Jiwoo, go help him,” Suah suddenly says.

“I don’t think I can find it either, you go,” I answer back without a second to waste. 

“Go be useful, Jiwoo,” Sanghee interjects. 

God, did I say Sanghee is my best friend. I apologize– it was a comment made during a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter