Chapter 5: God Sure Loves to Serve a Good Punch

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sitting back into my seat, I cross my arms upon my chest as I didn’t care how obvious my unhappiness is. My eyes shift up to find a satisfied expression on Bobby’s face. What a shocker. 

“I thought it was just me and you for lunch,” I mutter while trying my best to not look at the extra guest at the table. But, it was getting harder with each passing second.

“Hanbin was lost, I couldn’t just leave him wandering,” Bobby replies with his usual nonchalant attitude. Nothing fazes this guy. Not even when he’s obviously lying through his teeth. 

“I wasn’t lost.”

“It’s not like it’s the first time he has been here,” I add to Hanbin’s denial.

I have no nice way to say this… I’ve lost my appetite. Giving into the urge, I glance in Hanbin’s direction to only divert away when I find him looking back at me. Is it just me that finds this strangely uncomfortable? I turn my head and direct my attention out of the window beside us and watch the students pass by– maybe I can pretend that this doesn’t bother me. 

“Do you not eat as well anymore?”

Hearing his voice, I look back at Hanbin once more before I could stop myself. It was like instinct. 

“You look thinner,” he continues and points out. 

I wish he didn’t do that. 

“It’s the lighting.”

“Really, Jiwoo?” His tone indicated the amount of trust he had– which was none. 

Is he really questioning me? I am the one that knows myself best and I think it’s the lighting. 

“Hey, Jiwoo.”

Snapping my head up, I find Jaewon staring down at me. Well, it wasn’t like I didn’t know we would run into each other here. By the sight of his expression, I can assume he must also think this set up is strange. We are usually each other’s company during lunch. From behind him, a young woman peeks out. 

It’s her.

The next moment, I find myself wallowing in an indescribable feeling. I’ve never been harmed or injured by her in anyway but why am I acting so defensive? Jaewon must have noticed because he nudged my arm, probably hoping I would relax. Blinking back, I return to the current situation– Jaewon and his sister, Jaein, has joined (or should I say intruded?). 

Ah– I do know what this indescribable sensation is… it’s the feeling of being overwhelmed. There’s a lot going on. I’m sitting here with my ex that I can’t seem to face yet and there’s a girl who finds him cute– for the record, I noticed he was cute first. Life is all about dibs. 

“How is your first year going?” Look at me. I’m even forcing myself to make small talk when I would never care to do so. 

The young woman answered with a smile, “It’s not bad. I get homesick from time to time but the transition has been pleasant.”

Thankfully, I didn’t have to continue to carry on the conversation that I didn’t really want to be a part of as Jaein takes over the reins. Except, there is only one person she is more interested in talking to. 

“It’s nice running into you again,” Jaein directs her attention towards Hanbin.

Hanbin silently nods back but looks away from her. 

“What department are you from?” Jaein voices her curiosity though Hanbin doesn’t realize that she is referring to him again at first.

“…I don’t go here,” he responds though again, his eyes wouldn’t remain on her for long. Just as he would answer, they would shift. 

To where? I didn’t know.

“Oh, are you here visiting?”

Well, he wasn’t looking at me, Jaein, or Bobby so… who’s left?

Hanbin points in Bobby’s direction. “His idea.”

I observed Hanbin. I wonder why he was being so pleasant (well, this is pleasant for him). He was never much of talker with strangers… but he has no problem talking to Jaein. Before I know it, I could feel my face contorting into a peeved expression. But, it doesn’t last long as my attention is suddenly stolen by my vibrating phone. The name on the screen has never brought me smiling harder than it did at that moment. “Sorry, I gotta go.” I get up from my seat, grabbing my backpack on the way.

God, the call couldn’t have come at a better time.

I was so close to imploding. 

“You’re here? Yeah, I’ll head back now.”

Ending the call, I’m in the middle of stuffing it away safely before Bobby comes out of the building to meet me on the pathway.

“Where are you going?”

“Sanghee and Donghyuk are here, I have to meet up with them.”

“You’re going to leave the girl and Hanbin alone?”

There it is. That is definitely a red flag. 

But, who the hell cares? I don’t. “Jaewon and you are there and so?”

“It’s damn obvious that the girl is interested in him.”

“I know.” Anyone with eyes can see that… and also because Jaewon told me but still. “What does that have to do with me?”

He shoots me a knowing look.

My eyes dart away from him. “It’s not my place to do anything about it anyway.” The words came out softer than I intended but it was still the truth. 

“Jiwoo, let’s go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter