Chapter 4: Kudos to Gut Instincts

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He must have just worked out by the sight of his clothing. 

I hate that I noticed that. 

But, there is something I’m curious about– why don’t boys buy new workout clothes when their current ones get super gross? Are they that attached to their sweaty workout gear to this degree of an unhealthy obsession?

“Hey.”

He was the first to break the silence. 

“Hey.”

Did he run after me?

While I was busy staring at him, he tilts his head up to seek out the state of things. With a small tug, I stumble behind him so that I can meet the wide span of his back– did his shoulders widen even more? 

Okay, someone take the weights from him. 

While I’m busy with my irrelevant thoughts, Hanbin spins around to face me once more. “Were you running from that guy?”

Taken aback from the question, the need to act casual overtakes me. I focused my attention away from his face and down to find my hand still in his grasp. Hesitantly, I pull to free my hand. “Nah… we were racing.”

Of course, he didn’t buy it. Not like I tried to offer a realistic explanation anyway.

“Then, let’s go tell him you won,” he says before grabbing ahold of my hand again. Tighter this time. 

“Whoa.” I tug backwards before deciding this won’t do. “Alright, alright,” I give in. “Did you have to go that far to prove I was being chased?”

“I wouldn’t have to if you told the truth.”

Fine. Whatever. But, I’m suddenly more taken by a different matter- I notice our contact again and point down at it. “You can let go now.”

His eyes drop down to see his hand still tightly holding mine. He finally let go with the little shake that comes from my hand. “Right. Wouldn’t want ugly Jaewon to misunderstand.”

What? 

But, wait a minute–, 

I gaped before a soft scoff of disbelief left my lips. “Hanbin… Jaewon is not ugly.” That’s beside the point but I couldn’t allow him to blatantly lie like that. But, I also knew he would never admit it. His ego would take a hit. 

“You know, that’s a whole other conversation where I have definitive proof that says otherwise–,”

“Why are you here?” 

Of course, the original plan wasn’t to blurt out my curiosity up front but I was going to treat this like ripping off a band-aid. Because if I wait any longer, I would just chicken out. 

He ends up staring at me for a moment as he gathers his wits. “What do you mean by here?”

“At this school.”

“I have break. Am I not allowed to be here? Is there a law that says I can’t come here? Am I going to be fined or something?” he starts rambling off with an attitude. 

I narrowed my eyes at him. He still gets defensive so easily. 

“I finally caught up,” Bobby comments just as he breaks through the students who are waiting in packed lines for their dinner. 

Two against one is hardly fair. As soon as I saw the glint in his eyes, I knew he was going to say something that’s going to annoy me beyond belief. 

“Look at how the tables have turned–,”

How can my guesses still be so accurate?

“It was Hanbin causing trouble throughout high school and now it’s you,” Bobby continues as if I needed him to spell it out for me. “So, what did you do to that muscle pig?”

I pressed my lips together. I wasn’t going to tell him.

Not because Bobby doesn’t know about G-Rain (because he does). I knew he was somehow digging around because even though my column is meant to be anonymous, Bobby was quick to catch on that it was me within the first week I began my bizarre and paid extracurricular activity.  

Citing, ‘I knew it was you after one read,’ during our short and only encounter.

But, I call bull. 

It’s more believable if he told me that he had some private eye following me. 

But, let’s focus. I’m choosing to not tell Bobby about it because I plan to keep our paths from intertwining once more. It took me forever to get over the breakup and I’m not backtracking. Besides, I’ve made the mistake once in high school. I’m not an idiot to make it twice. 

“Are you not going to answer?” he presses.

Obviously not. Did he even need to ask?

…Now, how do I get out of this?

“Oh,” I softly exclaim as I pretend to look out into the sea of students.

Bobby silently watches on.

I place my attention back on the two. “It looks like my friends are here,” I say as I offer a quick wave before ditching the area. I knew Hanbin would be the first to catch on but even his reflexes aren’t as good as mine. My forte is running away, after all. 

***

Jinhwan peeks out from the bathroom to see the two in the living room. “What did I miss?”

A lot. 

“Jiwoo is a bit of a celebrity here– well, her anonymous persona is,” Bobby begins to explain as the two other children take their seat on the couch. 

Hanbin couldn’t imagine that. Jiwoo hates being at the center of attention.

“She works for the school’s newspaper and writes a column– Ask G-Rain.” He hated saying that name. It’s ridiculous and Jiwoo still insists on using it. She insists the job is just a joke and that she is going to play the part. He even told her it was borderline plagiarism but of course, she doesn’t care. 

“Ask G-Rain?” Jinhwan hasn’t moved past the strange name or identify the reason why it was chosen from all other possibilities in the world when the other two became more focused on a different mystery.  

Hanbin wonders if he should be asking. Oh, what the hell. “So, what is this? This ‘Ask G-Rain’ thing?”

“An advice c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter