Chapter 20: Anything for You

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I didn’t feel good for the rest of the day. Which is something i expected.

Not because I didn’t get to sleep or because I may have eaten breakfast a little too quickly but, because I knew what kind of day it was. I knew this day was inevitable but, I hated that it came so quickly when we were only starting to have some fun. Doesn’t that always happen?

Hanbin spent most of the three hours he had left to pack on me. More specifically, two and half hours of it. I pretty much kept myself stuck to him as he tried to organize everything before his train ride. I wasn’t much help at all in the aspect of organizing. I was, in fact, too busy moping. 

Look at what I have become. 

Was this what Hanbin meant when he wanted me to let myself go? 

I’m an absolute mess. Not my proudest moment. 

Now standing before Hanbin, I still didn’t know what to say. Because, I knew the only thing left to say was goodbye and I clearly didn’t want to. I wonder if I could stall by staying silent. 

Hanbin takes my hand into his and I look up.

I don’t think my plan will work after all (was the lack of sleep making me delusional?).

“We can always make time during the weekends,” he says. “Plus holidays and breaks.”

I make a face.

“Those were actually good ideas,” he retorts. “And realistic. You like realistic.”

Normally, I’m the voice of reason… it’s so strange to hear such things from Hanbin. Our roles have suddenly switched without us knowing. Over Hanbin’s shoulder, I could see Bobby and Jinhwan waiting inside the car. The same car that was going to take Hanbin away from me for a while. 

Bobby is such a bad person for doing that (Jinhwan is also in the car but, I like him). 

“Let me see you off at the train station,” I request. 

“Then, you’ll miss your internship.”

“But, it’s only one day of internship. The kids wouldn’t even miss me–,”

“No, Jiwoo.” Hanbin also seemed taken aback by his own words by the tilt of his head. “It’s so weird for me to be the responsible one.”

He had also noticed. 

On any day, I would love this side of Hanbin but today, I just feel sad. And, not much can change that. 

“Call me when you get there,” I end up saying. 

“I can do that.”

Wanting to forget how upsetting this is, I try to reach for Hanbin’s belongings to help him. Yet, he stops me. 

“Don’t worry about this. Bobby can help me so, you go to class.”

Like he knew we had mentioned him, Bobby comes waltzing over. I wonder if he’s secretly laughing at me in his head. Someone like Bobby wouldn’t lose this chance to enjoy my misery. Hanbin leaves first to settle some things in the car and suddenly, only Bobby and I are left.

I didn’t want to project anything on him (even I know that’s a bit unfair) so, I don’t say anything. 

“Why are you staring at me?” he asks without even looking in my direction.

I didn’t even realize I was glaring at him. Force of habit. “It wasn’t intentional.”

“Hanbin will be back soon. Even in the past, he always came to visit often,” he says. 

Bobby has done lots of strange things that I could never understand… or choose to understand but, this right here, is just plain weird. Because, is Bobby really comforting me? What does he gain from it? I didn’t actually know how to respond and he looks up at me when he hears no reply. 

“What?” he asks. 

“Are you up to something? Are you seriously planning something even in this moment?” This moment where I’m extremely fragile? Is he really that heartless?

“I really question how you think of me.”

I lightly scoff. I’m completely sure he knows the answer to that. “I’m still waiting for you to finally tell me what your big plan was this whole time. Did you get what you want?”

He laughs. “I did.”

“So, what did you get?” Was I expecting an answer with that question?

Absolutely not.

And, Bobby merely nods towards Hanbin. 

My eyes narrow. “What about Hanbin?” I hardly doubt Bobby would do anything terrible to his best friend. That area is mostly reserved towards me. 

Then, he nods towards me.

“Hanbin… me…?” 

“Yeah, Hanbin and you.”

I freeze. “Are you saying… your big ol’ plan was to get Hanbin and I together again?”

“I saw how Hanbin missed you–,”

“Whoa, wait–,” I couldn’t help but laugh a little at his words. “Are you really allowing me in the depths of your mind right now?” After all these years, is he really giving me the honor to get so close and personal? 

“I was only helping out friends,” he shortly explains. “That’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter