Chapter 14: Supportive Men are in Season

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I feel like I should go home.

“Let’s go home,” I mutter for the fifth time. 

At this point, I don’t care about anyone else. Matter of fact, I have no ability or mind to care about anyone else. They could get home on their own. But, me? I’m most worried about finally getting myself to where I belong- my bed. 

“Okay, let’s stand up,” Hanbin says for the fifth time as he moves to get up from the curb. “I’ll let everyone know that we’re heading back first.”

And, I did try. Oh so hard. But, it felt like my legs were made of jelly… or maybe my upper body became ten times heavier in the last hour, making it impossible for my legs to carry it.  

With a sigh, Hanbin sits back down. It was obvious that he wasn’t taking me or my words seriously but was merely playing along. I turn to look at him beside me and he returns the stare. 

“Did it hurt?”

“Did what hurt?” he asks in response. 

Like he didn’t know what I was talking about. “Are your muscles for decoration, Hanbin? Goodness.” Sure, I knew he couldn’t win but I thought he could maybe talk big and maybe intimidate Skull Pounder (even if it was just a little). 

“I totally could have taken him on.”

“Hanbin, no.”

“Jiwoo, yes. I had a few drinks so I was off my balance already. He got a free shot.”

“He got two free shots.” I place two fingers up to demonstrate my words clearly.

“Oh, that’s why my back is hurting too,” he quietly says to himself.

This time, his words elicit a chuckle from me. “Thanks for showing up.” And, thank you for Jaewon. I didn’t want to imagine what would happen if I was left to Skull Pounder’s devices or how much worse things could have turned out for Hanbin (I was going to keep that thought to myself though). 

If there is one thing I knew, it’s that- the more you brood over something, the more pissed off you become. I have been hiding from Skull Pounder for over a week, I’m sure he was dying to corner me off like that tonight and show me his full wrath.

He looks away from me and out towards the white tents. “Well, am I supposed to let him push you around?”

“No, you’re not supposed to,” I answer his rhetorical question. 

Silence followed and we kind of just listened to our surroundings for a moment before Hanbin spoke up once more. 

“My break ends in five days.”

I snapped back so quick that I didn’t know if I was feeling dizzy from the drinks or it was the side effect of my drunk mind trying to follow my own train of thoughts. 

He just has the knack of ruining the moment. Or maybe, let’s think of something far-reaching for a moment- maybe, it’s my fault for forgetting that his break of two weeks was coming to an end soon. 

He steals a glance in my direction due to my silence. “We have five days.”

“I heard you the first time.”

“Five days is long-,”

“No, it’s not.” I didn’t think I would but I think I’m freaking out quite a bit upon the realization. 

Five days. Five days? What can be done in five days? 

“It’ll feel like two hours,” I add.

“We’ll make the most out of five days,” Hanbin tries to comfort me once more. 

I could only manage to stare at him because my mind was blank. I had no solution, nothing could be fixed in this situation. 

“It’s okay,” he continues to soothe me.

This night just gets worse and worse. 

Now, I’m starting to not feel good again. And, Hanbin must have noticed because his eyes round in recognition. 

“Jiwoo, don’t-,”

Dear G-Rain, 

I am really in need of your advice again. I have vehemently refused to get back together with my ex because I truly believed what you told me. But, he hasn’t left me alone and I don’t know what to do to make him to stop. Please respond.

Sincerely,
Tired from Crying

God, I feel miserable.

A knock on the front door stirs my attention from where I lay in bed. Pausing in my uncomfortable squirming, I lift my head up from the pillows as I listen for footsteps out in the living room to hint that someone would get the door.

But, nothing.

Just silence.

Until another knock on the door interrupts it. 

Groaning, I am forced to crawl out of bed to answer it. Nearly dragging myself across the floor, I somehow make it to the door with enough energy. Upon opening it, I freeze at the sight of the guest. 

“Hanbin?”

With a small, nervous smile, he lifts up a small plastic bag. “I got you cherry popsicles.”

“… Oh, okay.” 

“Can I come in?” he asks.

I move aside and allow him space to get past the doorway. Looking towards Suah’s bedroom and noticing the emptiness of the living room, I wonder if everyone had gone somewhere. Returning my attention back on Hanbin, I find him standing near the couch.

“You can sit down. Do you want anything to drink?”

“No, I’m fine.”

He takes a seat but the nervousness is clearly radiating off of him. Why does he have to be so awkward? It’s not like we’re new into meeting one another. Walking over, I take a seat beside him. After one glimpse of him, it makes me feel bad. So, clearing my throat, I slide over to give him more space. 

I hope he doesn’t stop breathing. I wouldn’t know what to do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter