Wonpil [Of Honeymoons and Missing You]

Day6 Drabbles

Written for my darling @daysswithyou for the day6 holiday fic exchange. I hope you like this, babe! I'm, sorry it's so late but I hope you like this lil 'surprise' haha.

Prompt: cold kisses


"Thank you, Paris!" the boys hold hands as they bow to the crowd, a roar of applause booming throughout the hall. Lifting their heads with the brightest smiles on their faces, Jae and Young K begin throwing flying kisses to the crowd. Dowoon and Wonpil mimic their actions, the ever jestful maknae line.

Sungjin shakes his head at the boys' antics as they walk towards the entrance of the backstage, only to freeze in place when a loud, yet warmly familiar squeal pierces through the crowd's cheers. Their leader beams widely as he kneels down and spreads his arms wide open. The shrieking toddler jumps into his arms and he scoops her up with a spin, earning another cheer from the audience. 

Chuckling as he nuzzles his daughter's nose, Sungjin turns when the crowd breaks into a cheer once more. Delia had taken a tentative step out of the shadows, but that was all the invitation it took for her proud husband to run over and carry her up in a twirl, his movements not unlike what had just ensued between the father-daughter duo a moment ago.

The stadium of fans laugh as the newlywed tries to hide her face and push Wonpil away, but being the stubborn mule that he is, he simply wraps his arms around her tighter. The audience starts to yell congratulations, but fall into a hush after a moment, murmuring for a second. Then, a few people start singing, everyone else catching the drift and joining in. 

"Congratulations, 넌 참 대단해~ (woa-o-oh) congratulations, 결혼 축하해~" [Congratulations, you're so amazing~ (woa-o-oh) congratulations, on your wedding~] (a/n: don't bash me if my grammar is off lol I ain't Korean). 

Delia and the boys gape at the fans in surprise (and a bashful pink flush colouring the young couple's cheeks) because they had sung and seemingly come up with the second line impromptu - in Korean, no less! 

They later figure out that the fans had seen the videos of K-MyDays singing the same lyrics for Wonpil and Delia in Seoul the month before and planned to sing it for them when they were in Paris for their European tour - but it is still such a moving gesture, it brings tears to the bride and groom's eyes. Again. (Which obviously results in an onslaught of teasings from the boys, with Sungjin being the only saving grace not joining in on the ruckus). 

Goodnights and get-home-safes are called one last time while they walk off stage, the hoots and applause slowly dwindling down as people begin to shuffle out of the venue. After packing their instruments and wrapping up, the team disperses, each having plans of their own for the night. 

And so here stands the camel-coloured coat clad woman outside the venue, hands tucked inside her pockets to stay warm as the temperature begins to drop - it being the middle of winter means it is well after sundown despite it being only 7 p.m. A pair of arms come around her and she lets out a breath of a laugh, a plume of smoke escaping from her lips as she does. 

“Shall we get going, my wife?” 

“Are you ever gonna get tired of saying that? It’s been more than a month, Mr. Kim.”

“No, I won’t. And I don’t care, Mrs. Kim,” Wonpil shifts to stand next to Delia. He retrieves her hand from her pocket, tucking it into his own, “you’re my wife, and I’m damn proud to say it~”

She shakes her head at his insistence but huddles closer nonetheless, both the heat pack in his pocket and his fingers interlaced with hers warming her up. They both fall into a slow stride along the pavement, Wonpil pointing out a place in the distance he and the band had their photoshoot that morning. 

But he abruptly stops right in his tracks and groans, making his wife blink in surprise at his sudden frustration. “What’s wrong?” she asks worriedly, squeezing his hand. 

“We’re supposed to be on our honeymoon, but I’ve been so busy working and now I’m even talking about work during our alone time, too? I don’t know... I just feel like I'm neglecting you,” he admits, turning to look at her with a somewhat scared expression, "what if your mom gets mad at me? Am I going to be the hated son-in-law oh no."

At this point Wonpil's just rambling and Delia can't help but laugh. She moves to stand in front of him, reaching up to cup his face and peck his nose. “I’m having a blast, mind you. And you know I love hearing about your day, even if it's work related. Besides, tomorrow you’ll be in Amsterdam for your last show the day after. Then we can go on our little honeymoon travel adventure as planned, right?”

Her husband remains frowning at her so she flicks the crease between his brows, eliciting a whine instead. Giggling, she tiptoes to kiss the spot that was hurting. Both the poison and the cure? Guess you could say that's what these two are to each other. 

“Hey, no need to be so pouty. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve considered our travel adventure’s already started~”

“No, that’s not it,” Wonpil pulls her back to a brisk walk, headed towards the restaurant he booked a reservation at, “your lips were cold, so my nose felt tickly.”

She squints at him and he looks at her seriously for a heartbeat, before a small grin breaks through the facade. “And I’m just sad that I’ll have to leave you here alone for two whole days,” he finally concludes.

Aaaah, so that’s what this is about.

Entering the restaurant, Delia turns to Wonpil as they shrug out of their coats. “Come on, we’ve gone over this. It’s a waste of money for me to go to Amsterdam and back here since you wanna explore more of Paris and France before we travel to the other cities - Amsterdam included. You gotta go there for work tomorrow. I don’t.”

“But-”

“Nope. I can hold my own for two days, mister.”

“But I’ll miss you too much.”

Now he’s pouting again as they’re getting seated, the waiter bringing along menus and pouring water into their glasses. “We’ve survived longer apart, Kim Wonpil,” she scoffs. 

“But it’s our honey-”

“Oh my God, give it a rest!” she cuts him off mid-sentence, but she's laughing and so is he, so she knows he is just teasing at this point. 

Having placed their orders, the food soon arrives and the pair just enjoy each others company. It is the first time in a while since they could go on a dinner date like this - just as two. While on tour, the team usually has team-dinners, so private getaway nights like these are a rare gift. And once their bellies are filled, they both head back to the hotel for some late-night funtimes 👀. 

A.K.A Mario Kart on Nintendo Switch (a wedding gift from Jae), duh. What were you thinking? 

Nah, who we kidding. After the second round (and Wonpil’s second defeat), the gaming console is somehow abandoned on the desk. Though Delia suspects her sore-loser husband purposely wrangled it away from her, all the while pecking her to silence any objections. When he finally moves past her lips, though, she still can't speak because he's moved to peppering kisses along her collarbone, and though she knows it's all part of his ploy to distract her from the game… it's working, darn it.

By the time his lips shift up to place wet kisses along her neck, she lets down the last of her defenses. What can a woman do? She can't resist her mans. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Eventually, the lights dim and a scented candle fills the room with a sweet aroma, the newlyweds' nighttime adventures continuing where they left off. 

I mean, it is their honeymoon, sooo. 

Image result for wiggle brows emoji

~2 days later~

Ping! Ping! Ping!

The notification tone specific to her husband’s messages ring incessantly. It’s probably Piri spamming me with photos from today. Delia thinks as she dries her hair with a towel, sinking into the king sized mattress to collect her phone from the folds of the hotel blanket. 

우리 피리미리**

VS1fCZLP7K3h_TXIa4NPaJmqrLPgZKEobPNVEsu54Y823sUicb0uCDgRCVNypk_bEk6qO7vK721wGpk01o-x20CgCNo_o_exCOI8dKZU1Y2ah7e4XsYO-GMXMOLTa7uLFJ-gFcycvEOdOVBTRM6-2GTRW5yhGe7s4hv9yk8quiTwwFFLCpfG8EKQggPdOkIdIcJcwEfEBijBV-uX8UWHaVFJ0NZO-GaZUrvcUDTyebtrzAjr2d3S9s36ekuzFrKuvQPoesj5HYvAdFLY

Delia: Isn’t the show starting soon?

우리 피리미리: yeah, but I wanted to show you the views I saw yesterday, I forgot to send them. 

우리 피리미리: That’s me with the red umbrella! Jae helped me take the picture

Delia: what’s the point :( I can’t even see your face in aNY of these pics, you dumb dumb

우리 피리미리: ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ aww do you miss me that much? okay, I’ll take one now

Delia: 🙄

우리 피리미리: T-R-yTn1MpIxHZKr9YlNJ6HtzmFlvA5dv3CR4eY2YYijMT_unHowSWCZ_INBSckddUqrcOAWMcMLzKO-NTvlbcZiyqCXZKCoR_-kPzKX3um5AjSFxNHaDN1bko_JyZ9Dr1kZnoCS

                              [Dowoon wanted to say hi too]

Despite herself, Delia smiles at the photo, enlarging it to trace the outline of her husband’s 2D face with her fingertip, accidentally shifting to the previous photo in the process. She laughs to herself and returns to the chat box.

Delia: Hi Dowoonie~ Take good care of my big baby for me, alright? ㅋㅋㅋ Okay babe I’ll talk to you after the concert! Now go wow the crowd my favourite keyboardist <3 

The message is left on unread so she assumes they have gone off to get on stage. She picks up the TV remote, lounging on the bed in her bathrobe as she flips around the channels, finally stopping on a french film. 

It is either a comedy, romance or thriller (there weren’t any subtitles) with an unrealistically good-looking cast - even the side actors and actresses were drop dead gorgeous? Nani?

Even though she can barely follow the plot (she really should have thought this through), she still finds herself hooked by the growing tension on-screen. Screaming at a scene where someone, presumably the biological mother of the main protagonist, is stabbed to death (film being part thriller suspicions now confirmed), a ping! startles her yet again. 

우리 피리미리: V_6u4L8i158jUI3tvryFDvOmiq_SugCM2LGB8Q08P5EBUzEb8-Pq_v4vwqbQwlocWqaXVSTgvetY3L392R7s4aGcDamdAgUfog1JjXp0RdtEnb0Pa2Fnh-W-3Gisxy_xQGYqWf7O

                         [We’re almost done with the show! I miss you :(]

Still slightly shook at the film (she can see the TV in her periphery, vaguely noting that the body is being dragged to a hole the murderer (the protagonist’s foster mother - scandalous, I know) dug up in her front porch), she doesn’t reply but stares at the photo, her husband’s pouty face calming her nerves a little.

She collects herself after a moment, picking her phone up to type in a short reply reminding Wonpil to give her a call when he’s back at the hotel, knowing he’ll probably be busy with the team dinner after the concert. 

---

우리 피리미리: X9YQURyVRryLfPv6SLcuOjkpvxwJ2cHcijIJOSr-O41mUJnvxVEm2uRO7VgNjqpIv-P-MYFE5-d1U3AnHX1ygiDowKQpxai7knGTJIImDtxoZDcjSJ2TtRdKD02IUBxpp_QOCWlq

                           [Back at the hotel~ left dinner a little earlier to rest.]

The young wife finds herself quite tickled because this is the third selfie she has received today - is her hubshubs compensating after she complained about not being able to see his face in those photos earlier? How cute.

She waits for a while, anticipating Wonpil’s call but knowing he’ll probably remove his makeup and freshen up first. A half-hour later and still no call, she decides to go ahead and call first. It takes a while before he answers. Delia’s greeted by a mop of messy hair up close to the camera like he always has it when on video call. His chin tucked deep into white blankets.

“Hey there, handsome~” she coos, Wonpil giving a small tired smile in response to the compliment. “Hello beautiful,” he replies, cupping his jaw in his palm as he winks at the camera. She chuckles, and they share how their day went. Delia tells Wonpil about the museum she visited, and he talks about the cafe he had breakfast at, remarking that they should visit it together when they go to Amsterdam next week.

The call doesn’t last very long, though, because it is obvious that Wonpil is exhausted from the day’s activities and she doesn’t want to keep him up for so long, so she swiftly shifts the conversation to a close.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, babe~ Get some rest, okay? Good job for today too~”

Wonpil rubs at his eyes and Delia can tell he’s sleepy just looking at him on her phone screen. “I miss you,” he mumbles, and her heart can’t help but swell at how adorable he is acting. You’d think that after all this time she’d be over these little things, but his little actions still make her heart skip a beat at times. Just sometimes, she insists. 

“Come on, I’ll see you in-” she consults her watch before turning back to her phone “-less than 16 hours! Come on, go sleep now. You have a train to catch early tomorrow morning!”

He grumbles again but stops before he can even be shushed (knowing full-well his wife intended to), giving a kiss to the camera and saying goodnight before ending the call. Delia stares at her screen for a few seconds - it was unlike him to end a call before letting her say goodnight, too. Just last night, he had kept her on the line for 30 minutes after they first said goodbye because Mr. Clingy Husband didn’t want to hang up. 

Brushing the confusion off, she dismiss any weirdness to his actions. He did seem really tired, and she had just asked him to go to sleep, after all. Setting her phone on her bed stand, Delia retrieves the book she had been reading before the call, having decided to spend the rest of the evening in bed and order room service for dinner later. 

It is only half past 8, so the night is still young, even though she just nagged at her baby of a husband to go to sleep. Only because she knows he has barely gotten any sleep in the past few days. So it was well warranted, she rationalises. Mmhmm, she is just playing the role of Responsible Wife and ensuring her hubby is well rested! 

A sigh passes through Delia's lips as she sinks further into her pillows. Honestly? She doesn't want to play Responsible Wife. She wants to be the Absolutely Clingy & Tiresome to a Fault Wife. But she knows better.

Knowing better doesn’t make her miss him any less, though. Good God, she thinks, am I seriously turning into that kind of wife? It was just yesterday morning I saw him and the rest off at the airport! Snap out of it, Delia! 

This ever level-headed sociology professor would have never taken herself to be the sickeningly lovesick type, yet here she is anyway. Seriously considering calling her husband up even if it means sacrificing his rest. She shakes her head firmly to clear that thought. Wonpil & her promised to never be thoughtless and always understanding of one another; it was even a part of their vows! 

And being understanding means letting him rest after having worked so hard this entire world tour, even if it is their honeymoon. So she turns back to her book, diving back in to distract herself so she wouldn’t feel so crappy. About an hour later she realises she forgot to order dinner, so she picks up the phone.

About 40 minutes later, her food arrives and she happily snaps pictures, anticipating Wonpil’s arrival even more now so she can gloat about what a good time she had, having the hotel room all to herself for two nights. Even if that’s as far from the truth as it can get. 

Okay, maybe she did have fun yesterday and about it an adequate amount. He had gone on about how his own wife didn’t even care about him and was having the time of her life all by herself. And Delia had done nothing to console him except rub it further in his face. (Oh damn, is that why she has been hit with a double serving of longing-for-mister-hubshubs? Karma?)

The bell rings again and her head swings to the door, eyebrow raised and arms frozen at an angle, holding her camera. She arches her head slightly where she stands on the bed (from trying to get a good shot of her noods). “Who’s there?” she calls. The food was already delivered to the room, so it can't be room service. And it is too late into the night for it to be the cleaners.

A slight shuffle is heard before a beep and unlocking sound. Fear immediately grips Delia by the throat and she swallows back a gasp, grabbing the fork from the tray on the bed as she dives to hide by pressing herself up against the wall that keeps her out of sight of anyone who’s walking in.

Beyond that wall is the bathroom, but unfortunately the door to it is on the other side - where Stranger Danger can currently be heard dragging a luggage in. Otherwise, locking herself in the toilet is a more favourable option.

Delia deduces that the person, whoever they are, likely heard her voice earlier so she steels herself with her arm poised and fork weapon in hand. Her other hand subconsciously grips the neck of her bathrobe close, the hammering of her heart against her chest so strong she can feel it against her fist, and so deafening to her own ears she is convinced the burglar/murderer/godknowswho can hear it…

But then they speak. No, he speaks. 

“Hey, I-” is all he manages to say before the gasp that had caught in earlier slips through as she drops the fork, jumping into Wonpil’s arms. The deep chuckle that follows as he lifts her while hugging her tightly has Delia's eyes instantly dampening with tears. Which only serve to furrow his brows in worry when she pulls away to look at him.

Wonpil sets her back down and cups her face, whispering “what’s wrong?” repeatedly as she sniffs and shakes her head, laughing now at the absurdity of it all. His hands are cold against her face and while the small naggy part of her is yelling wHy aRen’T yOu wEaRiNg yOur gLovEs? the softer Delia reaches up to place a hand over her husband's as she leans into his touch.

“I just got scared because I thought you were a stranger breaking in or something, I'm probably just extra paranoid because I watched a thriller just now, and I just missed you so much and I was so relieved when I heard your voice and now I'm cRyINg because I’m dumb but you’re the one who married this so I’m sorry, no returns, once broken considered sold, I burnt all the receipts you can’t get an exchange,” she huffs out in a single breath and the entire time Wonpil just stands there, staring at her, unblinking.

Delia waits for him to say something but he just lets out a guffaw and pulls her into his arms. “Oh, God, I love you. Have I told you that lately? HAVE I TOOOLD YOU LATELY THAT I LOOOV- OW!” she pinches his sides before he goes into another Donkey from Shrek impression of that song.* Clearly him hanging out with Younghyun so often this tour season was rubbing off.

But Wonpil takes the abuse pinches good-naturedly instead of pouting like he usually does, leaning down to press his forehead to hers and smiling as he rubs her sides in an attempt to soothe her. Then she finally realises - or remembers, rather. 

“Wait, how are you even-” she's cut off with a peck to her lips. 

“Weren’t you just in Amster-” and another. 

“Yah, Kim Won-” aaaand another, which he deepens into a kiss she can’t help but give in to for a moment before pulling away and scowling at him.

Gripping his face in both hands to hold him at bay, she stops him from stealing another kiss. “Stop. Your lips and nose are freezing, they tickle. And stop ignoring my questions!”

“What questions?” Wonpil feigns ignorance while wrapping his arms around her waist, walking forward so she has to back further into the room. “How are you here! We were literally on the phone just a few hours ago!” she exclaims as her calves come in contact with the bed.

Wonpil is staring intently at his wife but he glances behind her and notices the tray of spaghetti on the bed, and thankfully stops short of pushing her down onto it, otherwise she’d have cream sauce all up in her hair. She already had a shower so she would definitely not appreciate that. 

“Holup-” he places a finger to her lips to halt her bombardment of questions. “Is that your dinner or supper?”

Delia looks away guiltily for a second - Wonpil constantly reprimands her for forgetting to eat dinner until far into the night whenever he is not there with his reminders - before whipping her head right back around to glare at him and yank on the collar of his jacket, gripping the fabric in her fist. 

“Don’t try to turn this around to me! My bad habits that aren’t even all that bad, mister! EX.PLAIN. YOUR.SELF.” she enunciates each syllable, making sure he knows she means business. She just had the biggest scare of her life and almost stabbed her brand-spanking-new husband with a fork! Of course the woman's still a little on edge.

Oh wait, the fork-

Delia stealthily steals a glance behind the man before her and spots the shining piece of silverware on the floor, unperturbed. Thank goodness neither of us stepped on it while walking, she thinks, otherwise maintaining a stoic outer demeanor, arms folded over her chest.

"Well, I did go back to the hotel. As you know, since you called. But I was actually in Younghyun's room and I was all wrapped up in the blankets because I had to hide that I was actually dressed to leave for the airport to catch the flight back here-" 

Wonpil prepares himself for his beloved to yap his ear off about wasting money on an hour-long flight instead or just taking the train tomorrow morning but to his surprise, she buries her head in his chest and squeezes him in her arms instead. "You know what? It doesn't even matter," she half-mumbles, "what matters is you're here now, and I missed you so much. So I don't care if you fooled me and took a plane or helicopter or teleported. You're here. That's all that matters."

Beaming at his wife, Wonpil leans down and pecks her forehead softly. Right on queue, a loud rumbling sound emanates from her stomach, and she shrugs. "I'm also starving, evidently."

-

The sun begins to rise, bathing the buildings in a glow that could take one’s breath away. Delia brings her mug to her lips and takes a sip of her tea, glad it is still warm despite the cold breeze tousling her untied hair. A shuffling sound behind her makes her turn, finding a half-dressed Wonpil with the blanket wrapped around him and waddling his way over to the small balcony. 

"What are you doing?" he croaks out, clearing his throat to rid himself of the usual morning raspiness while blinking the sleep out of his eyes. 

Delia gestures at the view; the slowly waking city, the streets gradually tipping into its usual bustling activity, the lights of the eiffel tower in the distance now turned off but the metal still glistening eye-catchingly in the morning light. She’s glad she woke up in time to witness the sunrise instead of sleeping in today. 

Wonpil scrambles out to the balcony and joins her in the adjacent chair. He takes a sip of her tea, gathering the blankets around him tighter. “Aren’t you cold?” he asks, noting that Delia only has a hoodie on - his. That she has now claimed ownership of since their tour is over and he no longer needs to use it on stage.

She nods in response, and Wonpil unravels the blankets to open his lap in invitation, but he immediately shudders when the cold air hits his bare chest. Chuckling at his dumb move, Delia gets up and straddles his lap, hoping the wicker chair can take both of their weights. 

Wonpil shivers, quickly wrapping the blanket around them both, Delia laughing all the while as his nose gets redder by the second - he was always the one more affected by the cold. She places a hand on his chest, causing him to immediately shrink and retract back at her cold fingers.

Narrowing his eyes at his bride who is clearly finding this all too amusing, he takes her hand into his and massages it in an attempt to share some warmth. She smiles and pecks his forehead, only making Pil squirm at the cold, which in turn only serves to fuel her forward. So she peppers his entire face with kisses, despite her husband's loud protests.

“Your lips are so cold, stop it!”

“Oh, really?” she leans down to graze her lips over his, kissing him softly despite her lips being a little dry from being out in the cold for so long. “So are yours, mister.”

Wonpil blinks at her as they part, the slight tickle on his lips making him squeeze her in his arms. “Yeah but i’m not assaulting you with kisses, am I?”

“Aw, I was kinda wishing you wou-” before she can even finish her sentence, Wonpil clamps her lips shut with his own. He pulls away, gaze both dark yet playful as he stands, carrying her in his arms as he does. 

“You know what? I’m freezing,” he states, looking at her intently. She simply hums in agreement, wrapping her arms around his neck to better stabilise herself. “Why don’t we head in and you can warm me up?”

A shudder travels along her spine, but it has nothing to do with the cold. Ah, she muses, is this what being on a honeymoon is supposed to be like?


* For those who didn’t catch that reference even though they watched Shrek, it’s cos it’s from a scene in the Shrek 4D short film at Universal Studios. The scene is at the end as Donkey flies off with his wife (the scarlet-scaled dragon) and their dragon-donkey babies and he randomly starts belting out that lyric.

** 우리 피리미리 (Uri Pirimiri, means ‘My Pirimiri’)