[I'll Remember]

Day6 Drabbles

[[member x reader pairing not disclosed cos i want yall to read and find out xD]]


“L~ is for the way you Look at me. O, is for the Only one I see. VeeEeEee is Very Very extraordinary-”

You smile to yourself as the audio playing from your headphones stop, softly singing the following line to yourself, “and E, is Even more than anyone I could adore.”

If you close your eyes you can almost imagine the scene - your 10th anniversary, when he showed up at your workplace in the middle of the night, knowing you were disappointed you couldn’t spend time together because you had to cover for a friend’s shift at the last minute.

You touch your chest, fingers grazing the outline of the the simple necklace with a pearl settled in the metal skeleton of a cube. The gift you received from him that day. You remember feeling bad because the dinner you had planned to prepare was just a bunch of ingredients left alone in the fridge back at home.

And yet you remember him reassuring you as he ran over to the 24-hour convenience store in the hospital you worked as a nurse at, waiting for your break to eat the microwaved pasta with you, laughing as he cracked jokes about how he preferred the instant pasta from yours.

He was lying, of course. While that boy may have readily devoured everything and anything, meals you prepared by hand were undeniably his favourites. A knock on your door pulls you out of the haven of your memories, and you turn just as your daughter pokes her head into the room.

“You ready to go, ma?”

You hum in response, smoothing out the wrinkles in your dress as you give yourself a once-over in the mirror. Two hands press gently on your shoulders as your daughter pecks your cheek, smiling at your reflection from behind you.

“You look beautiful, ma. Appa’ll be happy to see you.”

The corner of your lip lifts at her remark and you nod, taking her hand into yours as you walk out to the car together. You slide in shotgun as she takes her seat behind the wheel. You ride in silence, not even putting in one of your favourite CDs - the only ones in your car were all your husband’s band’s albums.

The car pulls up at your destination and you step out, walking straight up to the all too familiar plot of land. You hear your daughter close the door car behind you, lagging behind as she took some things from the rear seat.

A familiar bob of brown, slightly greyed hair enters your field of vision. He looks up, a small smile gracing his lips as he stands up from a little stone stool, stepping forward to warmly wrap his arms around you. You return the hug just as your daughter arrives, also getting a big, bear-like embrace.

“It's been a while,” Sungjin says, smiling at you both. “Everytime I see you, you seem so much bigger. Look at you, you're driving now! Last I remember you were scared to even ride a bicycle!” that statement is directed at your daughter. She laughs in reply, reminding him that she's eighteen now.

Your eyes wander from the pair, noticing fresh, multi-coloured petals on the grass before you. Sungjin notices your shift in attention and nods to the flowers laying on the ground. “The rest of the boys just left,” he explains, “I just thought I’d stick around for a while, talk to him a little more…”

Nodding wordlessly, you reach out for Sungjin’s arm, giving it a gentle yet reaffirming squeeze before bypassing him to rest on the very stool he had just stood up from. Sungjin’s eyes remain on you for a few more moments, even though yours are looking elsewhere, before he turns and places a firm hand on your daughter’s shoulder.

“I'll see you around, sweetheart,” he states before stuffing his hands in his pockets and walking away. But not without turning back to spare you another lingering glance. Your daughter doesn't miss this, of course. And despite the way it kinda makes her feel as though she's a betrayer - she can’t help but feel a small bubble of warmth at the way his eyes watch you silently.

“Tell Jae, Wonpil and Dowoon samchun I miss them!” she calls to Sungjin’s retreating figure and he nods, waving goodbye. You finally raise your head as your daughter walks up to you, placing the flowers she brought down on the grass below the marble tombstone that stands erect at the head of the small lot.

In loving memory of Kang Younghyun, Brian

Beloved by all who had the fortune of knowing him

“I always liked the little inscription over there,” she points at the short poem engraved on the side of the stone, “Appa sure had a way with words, didn’t he?”

‘I tell you now what I always knew;
This life is naught but morning dew
That disappears come sunrise new.
In a dawn elsewhere, I’ll be with you’

Your lips curl up at her words. “He sure did. That's where you got it from,” you ruffle her hair affectionately. The two of you fall into silence as you both gaze at the dark grey marble and the name inscribed in silver lettering, not needing to speak as you held each other’s hands.

Your daughter stands and walks behind you, placing her palms on your shoulders while her chin rests on the crown of your head. “You know, ma. I’ve been meaning to tell you this, but I didn’t want to hurt your feelings…”

Turning to look at her, she crouches down so you can cup her cheek. “What is it, sweetheart?”

“It’s okay, you know? If you want to move on,” she pauses, knowing she’s treading on dangerous waters, “It’s been three years, I’m older now, I understand. And I’m sure Appa would want you to, too. I see the way Sungjin samchun looks at you-”

“Don’t go spouting nonsense here, young lady.”

“Come on, ma. I know you’re not that oblivious. That’s why you barely talk or look at him whenever we meet. You know how he feels.”

You sigh and look down to your hands in your lap. Your daughter clasps your phalanges between her own. “It’s really fine with me. In fact I’d be happy, and he would be too,” she turns to cast a look at the flowers lying over the grave.

Just then, an unexpected breeze cruises by, sending a slight shiver down your spine - but not an unpleasant one. It is comforting, almost. You touch the pendant on your chest. Your daughter looks at you as though she felt it too and she just laughs as she wraps her arms around you, both of you suddenly in tears for no reason.

She pulls away and you both wipe each others faces dry while chuckling in amusement. Pulling you to stand, she fixes your tousled hair. “Why don’t you give samchun a chance? Only if you want to, of course,” she finally states, looking at you hopefully. You remain silent and she whines, frowning at you. “At least consider it?”

“Alright, alright,” you shake your head in slight disbelief at how adamant she is being. “I’ll think about it,” smiling, you place a kiss on her forehead before holding her hand and stepping down onto the path. “Come on, let’s go visit your halmeoni while we’re here.”

You close your eyes as you walk away, one hand still covering the pearl resting just above your chest. ‘No matter what happens,’ you speak inside your heart, hoping your words will reach him, ‘you know that you’ll never be forgotten, my love. For as long as I live, I’ll remember.’

In the passing time

You’re fading away now

I’m afraid that I’ll lose you

Even in my memories

Just the fact

That we were in love

No matter how much time passes

I’ll remember