Anthropology for Beginners

Anthropology for Beginners

Anthropology for Beginners

 

It had been the tail end of summer when Chunji had first seen him. The weather was still hot and humidity oppressive outside their airconditioned lecture halls. Each trip to a new lecture resulted in a fine layer of sweat.

Chunji had entered the oasis of the psych building when the other man had caught his eye. He was lounging in the hallway between lecture theatres, leaning against the wall with his long, bare legs sticking out into the walkway. In the heat, he was wearing a singlet with open sides and Chunji could see the pale skin of his chest a little. The brown hair was styled across his forehead but the ends were a little damp with sweat. He had wide almond eyes that were currently his friend sitting beside him, and thick, expressive lips. Chunji shivered and it had nothing to do with feeling the gust of AC over his own sweaty body. Something about that other guy was captivating.

He thought about approaching him; Chunji was bright and fun he could totally make conversation with people if they were in small groups. His skin prickled with nerves though and he couldn’t seem to take that first step over to say hi. By the time he had worked up even a modicum of courage the previous lectures were over and the hallway was flooded with students. Chunji lost sight of the other man in the crush of bodies.

Giving himself a mental shake he joined the flow of people heading into the psych lecture. It was still his first week, he could make friends with him later. He was here to study, not to date the first guy he saw in a hallway.

 

Chunji had made friends later. He had been adopted by a small, rather cynical young man in his psych class. L.Joe was aiming for a bachelor degree in Criminology and struggling through psych. He had latched onto Chunji after learning he was coasting comfortably through the class. Chunji rarely struggled to learn things, what he struggled with was meeting people. He could be vivacious and friendly around people he sort of knew, but when into the lonely first year of uni, he was lost. Mostly he kept to himself, attending lectures alone and focusing on studying.

L.Joe had basically forced himself upon Chunji; insisting on sitting beside him each lecture, walking with him to their next lectures, convincing Chunji to eat with him in the large food court. Chunji had gone along with it, he needed a friend and beneath L.Joe’s sarcastic exterior was a kind-hearted guy.

All the while Chunji kept a wistful eye on the same man he had seen in the hallway the first week. He was in the same hallway every time Chunji had the same psych lecture. Often joking with his friends or apparently napping in the corner of the hallway. Chunji felt like everyone on campus, except him, knew this guy. People wandering past would wave a greeting, stop a while to chat in the hallway, invite him to event after event. Chunji wondered if perhaps he was being a creepy stalker, but he couldn’t help it. And it wasn’t like he was following the other man around campus, he just paid special attention in the one hallway.

His special attention did not go unnoticed. L.Joe caught on rather quickly and showed a rare moment of kindness when he asked about it.

“Hey, do you know Niel?” L.Joe asked as they shuffled into the lecture theatre.

“Who?” Chunji had replied, waiting for the jam of people ahead to clear.

“The guy with the fish lips. You always seem to notice him in the hall. Do you know him?” L.Joe said quietly so others wouldn’t overhear them.

Chunji blushed, his ears turning red. He refused to look at L.Joe, instead intent on finding a seat.

“Nope.” He tried to be cool.

“Oh. He’s a nice guy. You should introduce yourself.” L.Joe continued in an overly blasé tone. Chunji almost scoffed. As if he could introduce himself, the moment had passed weeks ago, now he was just a weirdo with an obsession. Chunji stayed silent and L.Joe didn’t push it, a small smile in the corners of his mouth as they sat down beside one another.

 

It was a month and a half into classes, the heat had finally faded but a worn-out cyclone had hit the coast further north of the city, bringing torrential rain to campus. Not quite enough for the university to shut down, but enough that everyone ended up soaking wet as they tried to dash between buildings. Chunji was damp, trying to shake out his wet hair and shedding his jacket to stop the damp seeping through his clothes. L.Joe was yet to arrive and Chunji was standing awkwardly alone by the doors to the hall. He didn’t want to go in, they always left the air-conditioning on in the rain and he would catch a chill. Instead he watched the rain, people fleeing here and there through the heavy drops. One figure caught his eye and he couldn’t stop the smile that spread over his face.

Niel was dashing through the weather, his white t-shirt soaked through already and sticking to his body, his chestnut hair was hanging into his eyes and dripping as he ran. From behind one of his friends that Chunji recognised but couldn’t name, grabbed Niel’s arm and dragged him backwards, ruining Niel’s momentum and keeping him in the rain longer.

Niel gave a cry of irritation, half-laughing, and dragged the smaller man around with him, ensuring the two of them stayed in the rain together. Their clothes turned darker as the water spread through but neither gave up their hold on the other.

“Let me go!” One cried.

“No way! If I’m this wet so are you!” Niel retorted, shaking the watery hair from his eyes and laughing.

Chunji’s heart ached, he wanted Niel to look at him that way. He was so jealous he couldn’t handle it. He gave a small groan and looked down at his wet feet. Niel didn’t even know he existed.

“They’re gonna end up sick.” L.Joe’s sudden voice made Chunji jump.

“Mm.” He gave a noncommittal noise.

L.Joe bumped his arm with a fist lightly, “I can organise you to meet him if you want, you know? I know people that know him. It wouldn’t be that hard.”

“It would be that awkward.” Chunji grumbled in reply.

“You’re not awkward. You’re delightfully shy.” L.Joe replied, his voice dry.

“Thank you. That definitely felt like a compliment.” Chunji huffed back at him, finally looking at his friend. He was bone-dry. “How are you not wet in this weather?”

“I brought an umbrella. I mean hello, they did tell us a cyclone would bring torrential rain.” L.Joe shook his head in disbelief. “Why didn’t you bring one?”

“I don’t own an umbrella.” Chunji shrugged. It didn’t rain much in rural Australia, where he had moved from that year. L.Joe stared at him in disbelief. “What? I’ll buy one now.” He defended himself.

“You can share it with Niel. Looks like he doesn’t have one either,” L.Joe nodded to Niel.

The pair had come in from out of the rain, saturated and dripping onto the cement. Niel shook his head from side to side, whipping the water from his hair. The white shirt was now completely glued to his body like a second skin. A second, translucent skin. Chunji swallowed and bit his lip subconsciously, he could even see the darkened patches where Niel’s s showed through his shirt. Unaware of his audience, Niel lifted the hem of the shirt and wrung out the water, letting it dribble onto the ground in front of him. Chunji’s eyes were glued to the pale strip of hipbones and abdomen he could see. Niel dropped his shirt again and turned to complain at his companion.

L.Joe turned Chunji around, hands on his shoulders, and frogmarched him into the building.

“That’s enough eye candy for today Mr Lee, we’re here to learn.” L.Joe muttered with a grin.

Chunji didn’t have the presence of mind to respond.

 

Chunji sat in the food court, vacantly staring into the middle distance, not really looking at anything. A broad figure obstructed his view, taking the seat across from him. Chunji pulled himself back into consciousness and looked at who had come to his table. A man was sitting there with a bowl of hot chips and a burrito.

“Hey.” The new comer gave a wave, “You’re Chunji right?”

“Hey. Yeah. I know you but…” Chunji smiled, feeling embarrassed.

“Cap, L.Joe’s friend from a few weeks ago.” He supplied. Chunji nodded, he remembered now the tall, quiet one. Well, quiet until provoked, and then loud and goofy. “How’s uni going for you?”

“It’s alright. Classes are fine.” Chunji shrugged.

“Yeah, me too. What’s your major?”

“Anthropology. You?”

“Arts?” Cap shrugged.

“Haven’t decided?” Chunji guessed.

“Pretty much.” Cap laughed and munched a chip. “I’ll get around to it. When I run out of other things to do.”

“Like what?” Chunji laughed. He had never had any trouble choosing a major, he had always known what he wanted to do.

“Parties, events, socialising.” Cap shrugged, not looking the least bit guilty. L.Joe slid into the seat beside Chunji, his own food tray full as well.

“Mr Bang, the party man,” L.Joe’s said sarcastically, “ you still pass all your subjects.”

Cap laughed and shrugged.

“I’m gifted. Anyway, you two should come this Friday night.”

Chunji’s insides squirmed. He wanted to say yes, he wanted to meet more people, but he hated parties. He was never any good at them, he didn’t know how to dance or talk to people, he didn’t overly enjoy getting drunk with people he didn’t know.

“Thanks, but I have an assignment due Sunday.” Chunji said. L.Joe huffed beside him.

“No problem man, I know how that feels.” Cap nodded.

“Yeah, except you just go out anyway and cram it Saturday night while you’re hungover.” L.Joe pointed out.

“Each to their own L.Joe!” Cap replied offended, “If Chunji wants to stay home and be a responsible student I’m not gonna be an about it.”

“Well, I am.” L.Joe replied, turning to Chunji beside him, “Come on. Come out. You’ll have fun! Drink some alcohol. Let your perfectly styled hair down. Experience uni life. Aren’t you an anthropology major? Get some firsthand experience of social situations! Meet people!!”

“I’m good. Thanks. You’re all the people I need to know.” Chunji replied with a blithe smile.

“Well that’s bull.” L.Joe retorted, “I’m the last person people need to know. See, you’re completely desperate for friends.”

Chunji shook his head with a grin.

“Really, L.Joe, I haven’t even started the assignment. I really need Friday night to get it done.”

L.Joe sighed dramatically.

“Fiiiiiine.” He drawled, “I’ll get you out of that hermit’s den one day Chunji, just you wait.”

 

L.Joe was true to his word. He seemed to know of a new party or event every weekend. From Thursday night to Sunday morning there was things happening all over the campus or dorms. L.Joe would pester Chunji all week, trying to find a way around his never-ending excuses for staying home.

 Chunji had managed to make more friends along the way. He now knew Cap quite well, they gamed over the dorm network together. He had become friendly with a tall guy in his dorm hallway, Changjo was rarely home but he was always friendly and polite when he was around. A small selection of friends suited Chunji fine. He was small town, he only ever had a few close friends growing up and he was comfortable like that.

He still went out, contrary to L.Joe’s vocal opinion. He visited the museums and parks around the city. He met his uni friends for coffee in the city. He rode the ferries up and down the river for fun, it was a novelty he never seemed to tire of.

To try and placate L.Joe he had agreed to go clubbing with Changjo. It was an interesting experience. The clubs were pretty much what he had imagined; loud music, drunk people, swirly lights, lots of dancing. He had fun though, dancing and singing along to the remixed pop songs. He had drunk just enough to feel happy and tipsy without losing his head completely.

Changjo was a great dancer, never at a loss for a partner on the floor and Chunji had just done his own thing, for once not too shy to dance. Everyone else was, why shouldn’t he. It was halfway through the night, his shirt and hair were damp with sweat. Chunji was fooling around with a girl, just dancing and grinding. He had mentioned early in the piece he was pretty gay, she had been ecstatic to find a dance partner that wouldn’t feel her up. He was swaying along with her, when over her shoulder, he caught a set of wide eyes watching him. It was only a fleeting moment before the heaving crowd swallowed the face once more but Chunji had definitely seen him.

His face flushed red with embarrassment. He wasn’t sure what he was embarrassed of though; being seen dancing with a girl, being caught clubbing, or the fact that he could have sworn Niel had a look of recognition in his eyes. As though he knew who Chunji was.

He hadn’t caught sight of Niel again. By the following morning he was convinced he had hallucinated the whole thing, had seen someone that looked like Niel, not Niel himself.

He was lying. No one looked like Niel.

 

Unfortunately his trip to the club just spurred L.Joe on, and Changjo seemed to join the campaign against him too. They spent a lot of their free time trying to convince Chunji to attend one of the uni parties.

“You need a social life!” L.Joe cried, bouncing a tennis ball off the wall of Chunji’s room and catching it again.

“I have a social life.” Chunji argued, not paying attention to him in favour of his game of Overwatch.

“Walking through the mall and riding a ferry boat do not a social life make.” L.Joe said, his voice drier than a desert.

“Shut up. I’m happy with it.” Chunji mumbled.

L.Joe bounced his ball against the wall again, catching it easily.

“Come out this weekend. It’s a house party, not too far from here.”

“No.” Chunji droned, he knew what was coming.

“Hey! Will you knock off the bloody banging on my wall!” Changjo’s voice yelled through the wall.

“Changjo!” L.Joe yelled in reply, “Come and convince Chunji to go out to Ricky’s house party this weekend! Then maybe there will be some banging on that wall.” He added under his breath.

A moment later the tall youth appeared in the doorway.

“Yeah, seriously, you should come.” Changjo said before stealing L.Joe’s tennis ball.

“Giveit!” L.Joe argued.

“No.” Chunji replied to Changjo, equally deadpan as the last time.

“Come ooooon.” L.Joe moaned, giving up on getting his tennis ball back, “Cap can drive us down there, and you’ll have me and Changjo and Cap. That’s three whole people you know, it’ll be a safe space for you.”

“Stop talking at me like I have mental trauma.”

“Well do you?! Why won’t you come with us!” L.Joe snapped, frustrated with his best friend.

“He doesn’t love us.” Changjo sighed, winking at L.Joe conspiratorially. “He just doesn’t want to spend time with us.”

“Hey, no, it’s not that.” Chunji looked around from the computer. His character died. “Dammit.”

“See, he even cares more about his games than us.” Changjo continued.

“You’re right.” L.Joe agreed, “If he loved us he would do this one small thing for us.”

“We don’t ask for much.” Changjo lamented with a loud sigh.

“Oh, for Christs sake. Fine!” Chunji relented, looking from one puppy-dog face to the other. “Fine I’ll come to the stupid party.”

 

Cap had picked the three of them up from the dorm, being kind enough not to tease Chunji for finally being a joiner. They had sped through the confusing tight streets of the suburb, Chunji was hopelessly lost within 5 minutes, it all looked the same to him. He absently wondered how they planned to get home if Cap was the party animal he had been made out to be.

The party was in full swing when they arrived; people milled around on the front veranda, music could be heard from the street and someone had tied streamers to the mailbox. Chunji smiled, it was cute that uni students still used streamers. They wandered into the house.

Changjo immediately disappeared into the lounge room, where a makeshift dancefloor was heaving. L.Joe dragged Chunji to the kitchen for a drink and Cap was consumed by crowds of people greeting him. After having a beer forced into his hand Chunji wandered, L.Joe stayed in the kitchen arguing with another student about the benefits of primary sources vs secondary. Chunji kept a wary eye out around him, some of the students were already beyond drunk. He found one girl passed out leaning up against a wall, sitting on an upturned milk crate. He woke her and helped her find her friends before returning to his casual observation of a house party. It was as he was passing through the dining room that he spotted Niel.

He was lounging on the floor (as usual) sipping from a bottle of beer and laughing with a circle of friends. Chunji found himself stopped, staring at the other man. He could really do it, just head over and say hi. ‘Hi my name is Chunji.’ That was how simple it could be. He swallowed, trying to beat down his anxiety. Then Niel looked up at him. Their eyes locked for a second, Niel smiled sweetly. Chunji smiled in reply. But he remained fixed to the spot he was standing, he couldn’t seem to get his legs going. Niel turned back to his friends, seeming to forget Chunji was even there.

Cap barrelled into him, enveloping him in a crushing hug from the side and dragging Chunji backwards from the room. He thought he saw Niel glance up as he was pulled from view but he wasn’t sure.

“Hey! Come and dance. This is half the fun of a house party.” Cap bellowed, refusing to let Chunji go. Chunji wanted to protest, he wanted to cry in frustration, he had been so close! Instead he let himself be dragged into the lounge room and danced a while.

After a few songs Chunji found Niel once more. Or perhaps Niel had found Chunji? He was staring at him across the room full of bodies. Chunji smiled at him, trying to will the other man over to dance with him. Niel was leaning against the wall, simply watching. Chunji dropped his gaze.

Now was the moment. He would do it this time.

L.Joe appeared at his elbow, yelling over the music.

“Come and help me school these bastards at beer-pong!” He shouted, pulling at Chunji’s elbow. Chunji tried to fight, protesting he was happy dancing. The small man was strong though and managed to man-handle him out of the lounge and onto the back veranda where the table was set for the game.

Chunji felt like crying. So damn close.

After losing terribly at beer-pong Chunji was more drunk that he wanted to be and was ready to go home. He shuffled through the crowded house and out into the front lawn. He shivered. Autumn had certainly hit the city and he had forgotten to bring a jacket. He chafed his arms and sighed regretfully. Tonight had not gone as planned. He wandered over and sat down on the low brick wall that served as a front yard fence. He stared at the quiet road, the noise of the party behind him.

It wasn’t that he hadn’t had fun, he had. Dancing and playing beer pong was great… but Niel. He had been so close to talking to him. Maybe they just weren’t mean to be? Maybe Chunji should just get over it. Give up on this crush. He shivered again in the cold and crossed his arms over his chest. He pouted at the ground.

Warm arms settled a jacket across his shoulders and gripped his arms tightly. Chunji looked up in surprise. Niel was standing next to him, in his own jacket, settling another onto Chunji’s back. He smiled at Chunji, hands lingering on his arms longer than necessary.

“Hi there.” Niel said.

“Hello.” Chunji managed, “I’m Chunji.” He had finally said it.

“I’m Niel. You’re a hard man to talk to, did you know?” Niel smiled, moving to sit on the wall beside Chunji.

“What do you mean?” Chunji asked, hardly daring to look at the guy next to him.

“I’ve been trying for weeks now, whenever I see you you’re surrounded by people.” Niel admitted, no trace of shame.

“Me?” Chunji asked incredulous. “You’re Mr Popularity. Since that first week you’ve known everyone.”

Niel laughed quietly and bumped Chunji with his shoulder, “Not really. I mean, I know people, yeah, but just, like, in passing. You’ve always got a group of friends with you.”

“Who? I have like 3 friends.” Chunji argued, smiling at his shoes.

“That tall guy, Changjo. Cap, I know him though. And L.Joe, he’s scary.” Niel stated, “Plus those girls you seem to always chat to.” Niel added in a quiet voice.

“The girls from my group assignment last month?” Chunji asked, trying not to let his giddiness show. Niel had been watching him too.

Niel shrugged beside him.

“I wanted to talk to you too, you know?” Chunji admitted, still not looking at the other man.

“Whyyyy?” Niel drew out the word in a childish way. Chunji smiled and sighed.

“Because you’re beautiful. And there’s something about you.” Chunji shrugged, he couldn’t put it in words.

“Something… captivating?” Niel supplied.

“Yeah. Like… gravity.”

“Like you just want to know that person.”

“And talk to them.” Chunji continued softly.

“And spend time with them”

“Like you know you would just…”

“Click” They spoke the last word together, chuckling slightly and finally looking at one another.

Niel slipped his hand into Chunji’s.

“Hi.” He said quietly, “I’m Niel. I’m a Law major. And I have a massive crush on Chunji.”

“Hi Niel. I’m Chunji. I’m studying anthropology and I’m a little obsessed with a guy called Niel.”

“It’s really fantastic to meet you.” Niel mumbled, leaning towards Chunji in the dark.

“You too.” Chunji mumbled in reply, closing the gap between their lips.

Chunji’s mind shut off. Niel’s lips were soft and plush against his own, he was completely taken away by the sensation of kissing him. He tasted a little of beer and smelt like cinnamon. Chunji cradled Niel’s head in his hand, securing their lips together for longer. It was heavenly to finally kiss him. After a little moment Niel’s tongue slipped over Chunji’s bottom lip, a tentative little flicker before it disappeared again. Chunji sighed with pleasure, his mouth opening naturally. He traced the other man’s mouth with his own tongue, delighting in the sensation of the other doing the same to him.

They only broke apart when they noticed a commotion on the veranda behind them. The pair turned to look over their shoulder at the loud drunks.

L.Joe and Changjo were jumping up and down and cheering with another shorter man. Chunji recognised him as Niel’s best friend.

“Yay! They kissed! They kissed!” The best friend cheered loudly.

“Finally!” L.Joe added, still jumping up and down happily.

“Oh, my God. That’s seriously embarrassing.” Niel mumbled, turning back to Chunji.

“Let’s pretend we don’t know them.” Chunji suggested, still holding Niel’s hand.

“Deal.” Niel nodded, simply returning to kissing Chunji instead.

 

The day was bright and clear, autumn drained the humidity from the air leaving the sky bright. Chunji stood leaning on a railing waiting for his date. His eyes were hidden behind dark sunglasses and he was trying to look chic and cool rather than nervous and excited. His façade fell away as soon as he spotted Niel.

He wore sunglasses too and a little hat on his fluffy hair. Chunji smiled so hard his cheeks hurt. Niel grinned in reply, he looked a little nervous too.

“Hey!” Chunji greeted him.

“Hey.” Niel replied, pausing to take in Chunji and then kissing him on the lips chastely. “Can you believe I missed you?”

“It was like 12 hours.” Chunji smiled, his stomach was tingling and warm.

“I don’t care.” Niel smiled and held out a hand. “Let’s go.”

“It’s not quite here yet.” Chunji pointed out, “Are you sure you’re happy to do this?”

“Yeah. I’ve actually never taken a boat somewhere before.” Niel admitted.

“What?” Chunji was shocked.

“I’m from the south side, the river heads north.”

The catamaran docked, engines buzzing and gangway clanging loudly into place.

“I love doing this,” Chunji admitted as they joined the que.

“You’re so cute.” Niel told him, swiping his transport card.

The pair stood in the bow of the boat, the wind blowing full into their faces. Niel complained about his hat, and then his hair when he finally relented and took it off. Chunji kissed him into submission.

“You look cute. We can fix it when we get off.” Chunji told him, clinging to Niel and smiling. “Are you having fun?” He asked in a small voice.

Niel looked down at him and his expression lightened.

“I am. You’re here, so I’m having fun. I get you all to myself in the middle of a river so no one can disturb us. I’m having a wonderful time.” Niel kissed him. Chunji smiled.

“Good.” He fitted his body into the space beneath Niel’s arm and leant against him.

 

Chunji sat in the hallway of the psych building, legs crossed, a textbook on one leg, Niel’s head on the other. He was studying, a practice exam was scheduled for the lecture. Niel was also reading from a textbook, his legs tucked up for Ricky to lean against. Ricky was also studying. It was a week before classes finished. Stress was high. L.Joe had been strangely quiet and serious lately, even Cap had doubled down on work.

Chunji a hand through Niel’s hair. Their eyes met for a moment, a smile passing between the two of them before they returned to their books. Chunji wasn’t paying attention to anything he was reading though. All he could think of was how happy he was, he toyed with his bottom lip as he thought about his amazing boyfriend.

Niel poked him in the ribs from below. Chunji looked at him.

“Study. You gotta pass. I might become a rich lawyer but I refuse to support a dropout.” Niel joked.

Chunji rolled his eyes.

“You’re distracting.” Chunji told him.

“Should I go?” Niel pretended to shift. Both Ricky and Chunji protested.

“No. No. I’ll study. Slave driver.” Chunji muttered.

“Love you.” Niel whispered.

“Love you too.” Chunji whispered back.

 

==============================

A/N: I feel like this stops a little abruptly. I hope there was enough floofy Chuniel time in here. I can edit if ya'll feel ripped off.