Epilogue

When We Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Epilogue

When We Meet Again

 

8 months later…

 

“Yes, mother.. I’ll be fine, I promise.”

“Good morning, Miss Sojung.”

“Hi, good morning! Oh mother, don’t worry. I’ve been out for 3 months now.”

When I reached the cubicle at the end of the office, I placed my coffee and sat on my chair.

“I know you’re doing fine, just want to make sure.” I giggled at my mother’s tone of voice. Geez, she’s been like this since the time I announced I want to work again.

“Okay, and I am. You know I don’t like sitting around. It’ll just make me feel worse.” I replied.

“Right, we understand. Call me if something came up.” I rolled my eyes jokingly. She always says that but whenever I try to call, she’ll be too busy to answer.

“Yeah, mother. I’ll hang up now.” I said as I start to arrange my files placed at the table.

“Okay, okay. Better hang up now.” I was about to put the phone down when she suddenly spoke. “And oh, Sojung… I love you… and your father too.”

I smiled weakly before answering back and hung up the phone for real. It took me a moment to calm myself down and start to organize the things I need to finish.

I decided to work again at my father’s company but not as the manager or someone who will take over the company anymore. I became a regular employee and surprisingly, my father agreed saying he doesn’t want to push me anymore with the company. The moment he stepped into the hospital ward that day, he automatically went to my cot and gathered me in his arms, crying like a baby.

Every time I would recall that memory, I get so emotional and just want to see my father and hug him. He never let me go after that little reunion. We were a crying mess, together with me and my mother, he was crying for dear life while asking for my forgiveness. That was the happiest yet heart breaking moment of my life.

It has been 8 months since I came back to Canada. I remember waking up at the hospital along with the people I’m with back at the tunnel. It turned out we were unconscious for almost 3 days, and I woke up first.

My parents were in Korea the entire time I was stuck at the tunnel, they knew about the accident but didn’t know what happened to me. They were almost convinced I was already dead but when the rescuers called saying I am safe and rushed to the hospital, they never left. Turned out they ate lunch when I suddenly had my episode and came running when the nurse called.

At first, I couldn’t believe it; I really thought I’ll be dead not until I woke up. It took me almost 2 months to finally recover myself. I didn’t gain the weight from all that I lost, but I’m much better looking than the past. But then, of course, there will always be a missing piece that is needed to be filled.

I almost didn’t recognize myself when I look at the mirror, my face all hollow and cheek bones are so prominent. My shoulder blades are also so thin, my arms and thighs and skin so dry with matching chappy lips.

I stayed at the hospital for a week, together with the rest. We cried the moment they all woke up, I remembered we even slept at the ground all huddled right next to each other and the nurses were awed yet furious at the same time.

It was overwhelming, and scary too. We couldn’t sleep at night, so we stayed awake talking and crying with each other. It seems like we can’t live without the other anymore. Except we were lacking one, or two.

Until the time has come where I need to go home, as much as I don’t want to leave them behind, I really can’t. I need to be back with my family too.

I remembered Umji the most, she was crying and begging me not to go. She was crying so hard that the nurses had to drug her to sleep. I was heart broken when they did, and I was sorry when I left without permission.

I bet she hates me now.

“Miss Sojung,” I look up from daydreaming to see the one who called me. “Mr. Lee wants to see you right now.” I smiled in gratitude before standing up and walk to my father’s office which is located at the topmost floor of the building.

For 8 months, I am still anxious whenever father would call for me, or even talk to me. I lived my life trying to make him proud all the time, and I’m not used to the way he treats me right now.

That he’s treating me like his daughter now and not just someone who should live to meet his standards.

I knock twice with a pounding heart, when he called me to come in, I slowly turned the knob and walked inside.

“You called for me.. father?” I asked shyly. He was reading something before he looked up and beckoned me over. One thing that’s very unusual since I came back is that he’s smiling often, it’s just I can’t get used to it.

“Come sit on the sofa, Sojung.” He smiled and got up from his chair. I walked to the sofa and sat there, moments later, he joined me with the paper he was reading earlier in hand.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I got an invitation to a business party.” I cringed the moment he said that. He must have sensed my discomfort because he smiled weakly at me and tapped my shoulder. “And I want us to attend.”

I remained silent and stared at the paper he was holding. Images of past events flashed my mind, everything came up so fast that I winced when I felt my head hurt. My father reached out in worry and grasped my shoulders.

He asked, “Sojung, are you okay?”

I shake my head in response. I don’t want to go, I don’t want to recall any of the past anymore. It’s just too much for me to bear.

“Sojung..” he hugged my shaking body and let me lean in to him for support. I started to sob, all my life, I wanted my father’s attention. I craved for his love and care, and now that I’m actually feeling his warmth, I just couldn’t ask for more.

“Oh, Sojung. My Sowon, I’m so, so, sorry.” He repeated until he was rocking both our bodies back and forth and even rub the side of my arms.

“F-father, c..can’t I just skip this event? P-please, I don’t want to go to one anymore.” I cried while hugging his body.

He didn’t speak for a second and just let me cry in his arms. When he finally spoke, I was bewildered because he started to giggle.

“I’m sorry. I just… I remember the time when your mother broke to me the news that she was pregnant of you. Do you know what stunt your mother pulled?” He asked and I shook my head against his chest.

“She made me buy every fruit in the list that she made and some that’s not even available in the country. She wouldn’t let me in the house if I won’t buy every single one of it. So, I had to ask help from my connections just to get each fruit.” Even though my face is buried deep into his chest, I could still see how his lips curve into a smile with the way he speaks.

“And when I finally got to go inside the house, you know what greeted me? A big frame of your ultrasound picture and a pregnancy test with a positive result. You probably won’t believe this but I cried, big time.” He sighed and pulled me out of his hug.

“That was the best moment of my life, the moment you came into the picture.”

“F-father..”

“I’m sorry that I didn’t treat you the way you wanted to be treated. I’m sorry I didn’t show how much I love you, from the moment you were born up to now.” He wiped something off my cheeks and grab a hold of my face.

“You don’t know how much I resented myself when I heard the news of the accident. I couldn’t explain how I felt, but the only thing that was running on my mind then was that I will do everything just to get you back. Just to get my girl back… I’m sorry.”

“I am meaning to hear that from you for a very long time, father. You don’t know how much I was craving to hear your words right now.” I cried and hugged him again.

“Oh, my little Sowon. I’m sorry… and I love you so.” He hugged me until I calmed down. It is the first time ever since I came home that we got to talk face to face. Mostly, he would just talk to me about my day or updates about myself but we never got to really talk about our little rift.

And I’m so glad that he finally sees me as his daughter. Maybe the accident is really a blessing in disguise.

“I won’t push you to attend the party—”

“No, I’m okay now. I’ll go.” I said.

“But I thought—”

“It’s okay, father. I’m going with you.” I said with finality. He flashed me his warm smile before pulling me again for a hug and left a kiss on my forehead.

“I promise you won’t regret this.” He whispered against my ear. Okay, he’s overreacting now, it’s just a party but why is he making promises.

“We’ll just attend another boring party, father. What are you saying?” he snorted and ruffled at my hair.

“You’ll see. Go along now, my little wish. I forgot to tell you the party is tomorrow night. I’ll let you have a leave today, go get some new dress.” He said and I totally froze. Not with the dress thing but to what he just called me.

“My little wish?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Father.”

“What?”

“Why did you call me your little wish?” he got up from the sofa and drag me along, together we walk to the door.

“Because you are my wish, my Sowon. Now go, I’ll be home before dinner.” When we reached the door, he just let me out and immediately closed the door at my face only to open it again. “And oh, it’s a masquerade party. Don’t forget the mask!” and he completely shut the door.

Why do I feel like I just had a deja vu?

I love.. wish.

Damn it.

Kim Seokjin.

How could I forget?

That guy. He just left me behind.

He left without even saying goodbye.

My chest swirled with another emotion, the kind I have been feeling for 8 months now. Before my eyes starts to swell, I heaved a heavy sigh and pressed the heel of my palm on my eyes.

Familiar pain crept on my heart and made a little pinch on it. I really hate this feeling, urgh.

That day when I woke up, I cried looking for him because he wasn’t on the same ward we stayed. The nurse had to drug me to sleep just to calm down, and when I woke up again, my mother and father was already there, but still no Jin in sight.

I tried to ask for his whereabouts, but no one said even just a little information about him. If he’s dead or alive. Not even my parents.

When the others woke up, they were asking for Jin too; but there was nothing to tell. So, I told them that I don’t know.

My phone vibrated and I was cut from my daydream and grabbed it from my back pocket. I almost throw it when I was greeted by his face after I unlocked my phone. I glared at his face for a moment and laughed bitterly.

“Aish, why am I still thinking of you, huh?” I whispered and tried to smooch his face by tapping my screen aggressively. It went on for a couple of seconds before I stopped, and eventually softened up. I imagine caressing his face so I did with my phone.

I smiled weakly, still staring at my phone.

At least you’re safe.

3 days after I gained consciousness, I’ve kept on bugging on the nurses about what happened with Jin, and even with Hoseok’s body.

At first, they don’t want to tell me, but I begged them to. They said Hoseok was claimed by his family, he was immediately buried they said, to shorten his wife’s agony.

And Jin, a day after we were rushed to the hospital, his father arrived and pulled him out. Saying he wanted to bring Jin home so he was arranged for a home care service.

Of course, I was glad, he’s safe and he’s alive. But sad at the same time because I wasn’t able to see him again, not even after I left up to now.

I sigh before locking my phone again, not caring who texted, and walked off. I desperately need to be alone right now.

“I miss you, Jay-jay.”

~*~

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen, welcome to KSJ Group of Companies 25th Annual Party!” everyone cheered and had a round of applause. I weakly clapped my hands as I continuously shift at my chair uncomfortably.

This dreaded day has finally come. Though my parents said that it’s really okay for me not to go, I convinced them that I’m good. Maybe it’s time for me to face my nightmare and get over it immediately.

A hand landed on my shoulder and I turned to look at my father sitting by my side. He winked through his mask and smiled at me;

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter