Leopard Comes Out of Hiding

Iron Flag Princess

“That’s not right,” my father scolded Cao Feng and me as we practiced the new skill set he taught us yesterday.  “Begin again!  Your arms must be perpendicular to the ground  and your stance strong.”

 

Cao and I began again standing straight with our knees slightly bent and arms tight to our sides.  The two of us moved in perfect unison as we performed each move under the direction of my father.  We went through the set 5 times before we got it right.

 

“Finally,” I heard a voice whisper from behind the tree in the corner of the courtyard where we practiced.  The voice was so low I thought I was hearing things, but the confused look on my father and Cao Feng’s faces assured me I wasn’t the only one who heard it.

 

“Whoever is behind the tree, come out,” demanded my father. He walked toward the tree cautiously.  “ You are on private property.”

 

A thin boy almost as old as Cao Feng slowly came out from behind the tree with his head down.  He was not as tall as Cao Feng and he didn’t seem to be as serious either.  His clothes were slightly dirty and askew.  He looked like he had just finished his chores.

 

“Who are you and where did you come from?” father questioned the young man sternly.

 

“My name is Luo Xin, sir” he replied.  “I live a few streets away from here.  My parents own a restaurant.”

 

“Why were you hiding behind the tree?” Cao Feng asked.  He looked at me, surprised I was not asking any questions.  He looked at me as if to ask “what is wrong with you?”

 

“I want to learn martial arts.  My father doesn’t know any so he can’t teach me,” he answered Cao with direct eye contact.  He wasn’t afraid of Cao, but he showed respect to my father.

 

“Why do you want to learn?” my father continued to question Luo Xin.  He was not impressed by the boy standing in front of us.

 

“I want to be able to protect my family if I have to,” Luo Xin said honestly.

 

“Show us what you have learned so far,” my father demanded as he guided Luo Xin over to the center of the courtyard.  

 

Cao and I watched with intensity as Luo Xin showed us what he knew.  As he went through the skill sets, I wondered how long he had been watching us and where he hid during our practices.  He went through 10 sets seamlessly.  He wasn’t perfect but he wasn’t horrible either. He didn’t fall or trip once.  His balance was good but he would have to work on his arm strength. Cao looked at me with an amused look on his face and I rolled my eyes back at him.  From this little demonstration, we both knew our class size was about to increase by one.

 

As I watched Luo Xin perform the Tiger skill set Cao Feng mastered last year, I began to compare the boys.  Cao Feng was strong, powerful and fierce. His punches and kicks were solid yet flexible.  His build was more solid like a rock.  Luo Xin, on the other hand, was more wiry yet flexible.  His punches and kicks were smooth but didn’t have the same power.  If Cao Feng was a Tiger, Luo Xin was a Leopard.

 

“How long have you been watching us?” father asked Luo Xin when he completed all the sets he could remember.  My father was more impressed than Cao and I was.

 

“A few months,” he replied sheepishly.

 

“Where have you been hiding?” I asked curious to discover where his secret spots were.  We should have noticed him before today as there aren’t too many places to hide.

 

“I hide behind the tree mostly,” he began.  “Sometimes I come later in the day and watch in the other courtyard where the Pavilion and pond are.  There are some large vases I can hide in there.  The pavilion also offers a great hiding spot.”

 

Cao and I exchanged sideways glances as we realized our privacy had been invaded.   We practiced in the courtyard with the pavilion when my father left the compound to conduct business.  Cao and I had shared many secret conversations about people there and even made up a few moves of our own.  We would definitely be more careful and search the area thoroughly before we said or did anything in there again.

 

“How much do you want to bet your father takes him as a student?’ Cao asked me as we watched my father and Luo Xin leave the courtyard and head toward the Fu An Restaurant.  

“That’s a bet I am unwilling to make as I am certain he will become our classmate,” I replied sorrowfully.  “I hope he doesn’t come to live with us!” I my heel and stormed into the house.


 

Another boy to cut in on my time with my father. At 11 years old, I was spending less and less time with him as my mother was trying to prepare me to be a good wife someday.   There were more sewing, cooking, flute and other household duties to occupy my time.  Dad already spent time with Cao Feng practicing when I wasn’t around. They were almost as close as father and son.


 

When father returned for the evening meal, he returned alone to our surprise.  He didn’t even mention Luo Xin.  Cao and I looked at each other trying to determine who should bring up the topic.  I shook my head to signal that I wasn’t going to bring him up.  Cao decided to think about the situation for a few more seconds.

 

My mother’s observant gaze caught the looks Cao and I were expressing to each other and decided it would be less dangerous if she asked my father about Luo Xin.  

 

“Where is your newest pupil?” my mother questioned my father.  “I was sure he would have returned with you.”

 

Father flashed an angry look in Cao and I’s direction.  The two of us lowered our eyes in shame.   He knew we had told her about the events of the day.  He must have wanted to discuss the matter with her before he made any decisions.  

 

“I haven’t taken a new student” my father stated.  “These two are all that I can handle at the moment. I would surely discuss an important matter like this with you before I made a decision.  It affects all of us.”

 

“I spoke with his parents and they believe it would be good for him to learn martial arts.  However, he has chores at the restaurant that take most of the day to complete.  He may come before or after his chores are done.”

 

“Will he practice with Cao and I or practice with just you?” I asked quietly.  I didn’t want to share my practice time with yet another boy but, I also didn’t want Luo to spend any alone time with dad either.

 

“He will probably practice with Cao and you during your morning lessons. Then he can work in the restaurant during the busiest time of the day.”

 

“Can I be excused?” I blurted out, unable to hide my disappointment.  

“Li-Li!” my mother exclaimed, surprised at my reaction to information my father had just explained.  “You are being rude. Apologize immediately to your father.”

 

“I’m sorry,” I said

 

“You two may go so I can discuss this further with your mother.”

 

Cao and I left the dining hall and headed for the courtyard with the koi pond and pavilion.  We searched our favorite spot to make sure Luo Xin wasn’t hiding in one of his admitted spots.  This used to be our favorite place to come to practice our made up moves, but after this morning the two of us were more cautious.  

 

“Why are you so upset?” Cao Feng questioned me.  “You are not the one who will have to spend time with him.  We will practice together with your father while you are busy with your girlie duties.”

 

“That’s just it! He will take my place in class.  I’ll have to learn at a different time which may never happen if my father is busy with other things outside the compound.” I began to pout as I realized how much practice time I would be losing.  I am sure my mother will keep me longer at lessons so dad can get the time he needs with Luo Xin.

 

“Don’t worry, Li-Li” Cao tried to comfort me by wrapping an arm around my shoulders.  “We can still practice together after your girlie stuff.”

 

Cao and I began to spar but my heart really wasn’t in practicing at the moment.  Cao could tell I wasn’t in the mood and suggested I go get my flute to play.  He enjoyed listening to me play since the day I played for just him after his father had died.  The music seemed to relax him too.  We both found comfort and peace in music.

 

I returned to the courtyard with my flute and some treats to share with Cao Feng but was surprised to see an unwanted guest sparring with him.  They stopped when they realized I had returned.

 

“What are you doing here?” I shouted indignantly.  Why does he keep invading our privacy?  “Shouldn’t you be at home?  Your parents will worry about you.”

 

“My parents know I am here,” responded Luo Xin.  “Your father said I could come after dinner and practice for awhile.  He told me you two were in the courtyard.”

 

I went to the pavilion and set the treats on the table neatly for the boys to enjoy after they finished.  I lost my appetite at the site of our visitor.  After I set the table to my liking, I began to play my flute.  The boys ignored me at first, but eventually, they stopped and came to the table to listen and eat.

 

“Your music is nice,” Luo Xin stated trying to get on my good side, I was thinking to myself.  “My mother plays stringed instruments and sings.  You should come to the restaurant and play with her.”

 

I ignored his comments and continued to play.  I wasn’t playing for their enjoyment but for my own sanity.  By the time I was calm enough to speak, my father entered the courtyard to retrieve his newest student and him home.  I was glad to be rid of this intruder.