The Second Suspect

Lifeline

“Hey guys, do you think we should go visit Kyungsoo already? This is his third day out of office.” Chanyeol suggested out of the blue when all his teammates were so quiet and focused on their own job.

“That would be great but none of us knows where he lives…” Irene answered after pausing a bit from tapping on her keyboard.

“No one? Not even Heechul?” Chanyeol was skeptic.

“Maybe he knows but Kyungsoo really likes his privacy so we do not bother to ask him about it.” Irene shrugged her shoulders and went back to her work. Chanyeol looked at each member in that cube and he was a bit pissed that no one seemed to care for Kyungsoo. Then he noticed Jongin was thinning his lips as if stopping himself from saying something, his eyes looking anywhere but his laptop and Chanyeol.

“Are you okay, Jongin?” Chanyeol stretched his neck to check on Jongin. “Something’s bothering you?”

“Awww, our Jongin here is worried sick for Kyungsoo, too. Admit it Jongin…” Baekhyun wooed Jongin as he rubbed his shoulder. Jongin brushed his hand off and frowned at his laptop.

“We could go together if you want…” Chanyeol proposed.

“I don’t know where he lives!” Jongin said with a frustrated tone as he pushed his laptop away and cupped his face with his two hands, elbows on his desk to support the weight of his throbbing head. He was worried apparently. Yesterday, Chanyeol saw him checking his phone and contemplating for minutes whether to call someone or not and Chanyeol assumed it was Kyungsoo he was thinking about calling. He also noticed him spacing out during lunch, frowning and biting his lower lip. On Kyungsoo’s first day out of office, Jongin was quick to volunteer on doing Kyungsoo’s tasks despite how loaded he was and just reasoned out that Kyungsoo had asked him before to help him on that task so he’s already familiar with it. He ended up extending for three more hours in the office per his status report yesterday and had made a significant progress so Kyungsoo need not worry so much. Today, he sighed when Heechul announced that Kyungsoo will be off again and Chanyeol’s sure it’s not because of Kyungsoo’s pending tasks. Jongin has completed all of those yesterday and he bets Jongin was excited for Kyungsoo to know about it.

Chanyeol is just as worried as Jongin plus he was fighting this urge to just spill the fact that he actually knew where Kyungsoo lives. But that will only reveal he stalked him one night and might end up telling them what he saw. He thought of Kyungsoo’s reaction first when he learns about him telling stories to the team without his consent. Kyungsoo not answering his calls yesterday and this morning only meant “stay away” and Chanyeol respected that. But still, he’s worried. He remembered that it’s already Friday and he thought of going to Kyungsoo’s apartment on his own in the evening.

---

It’s 5PM and Chanyeol immediately packed up his things so he could go home.

“Something going on at home?” Irene asked him who was just as busy packing up her staff, just way slower taking her time.

“Uh- y-yeah. My Mom asked me to come home as fast as I could.” Chanyeol lied.

“Ok then. Take care!” Irene sent him off with a wave of her hand and Chanyeol went dashing towards the exit doors and down outside the building. He immediately hailed a cab and went home.

---

At his house, Sehun was already waiting for him with his car this time.

“Yeol! Tell me where we’re going! You can’t just ask me to drive you somewhere without telling me the important details, you know?” Chanyeol’s bestfriend greeted him who was standing beside his car and patiently waiting for him. “Also, you’re making it sound like an emergency, you made me worry!”

“Sorry, Sehunnie… I had to finish my job in the office so I could go home early so I didn’t really have time to explain things to you yet. I’ll tell you on our way, okay?” Chanyeol went inside his house, greeted her Mom and confirmed that his Dad isn’t home yet so there was no car to borrow, he changed his clothes, and went out again. When his Mom asked where he’s going that night, Chanyeol only said, “I’m gonna stroll around the city with Sehun, Mom. TGIF!” and beamed at her with all his teeth showing. Chanyeol’s lucky he didn’t really have strict parents.

“Hey, did you bring your hoodie and your cap?” Chanyeol asked Sehun as he opened the car door of the front seat.

“Are we going to stalk someone?” Sehun asked and he started the engine.

“Oh.. I’m just going to check if he’s fine.” Chanyeol answered while wearing the seatbelt around him.

“Who?”

“My mentor.”

“Why? What happened?”

Chanyeol hesitated for a few seconds but he ended up telling Sehun what happened that night he decided to stalk Kyungsoo. Besides, he’s his best friend and confidante. And he’s driving him to Kyungsoo’s apartment.

---

“Are you sure we’re at the right place?” Sehun asked, his chin resting on his hands clasped together on the steering wheel. He was staring at the gate of Kyungsoo’s apartment.

“Yes of course!” Chanyeol answered with head bent while browsing through his phone for a fruit or flower delivery service.

“And you haven’t ordered flowers yet, right?” Sehun asked lifting his face a bit to see more of the view his cap is almost blocking.

“Yeah, can’t you see, I’m still checking for the nearest ones. You’re being impatient, Hunnie. Do you want to go home already?”

“No.” Sehun’s brief answer was followed by a hum as if Sehun was contemplating on telling Chanyeol what he’s seeing.

“Aha! I found one! Now let me order some flowers…” Chanyeol was tapping on his phone when he realized something and peeked sideways to Sehun. “Or should I just buy fruits instead? I’d look like I’m courting him if I give him flowers…” And then he looked back to his phone, missing what Sehun is currently staring at. “But I guess flowers will be good, too… It’s just a friendly gesture…” He tried to convince himself.

“I think you don’t need to bring him flowers anymore.” Sehun looked at Chanyeol.

“Why?” Chanyeol faced Sehun with a confused look and turned to look at the gate by Kyungsoo’s apartment when Sehun told him to. Chanyeol frowned at the sight. There’s a man by the gate who looks very familiar to him and he’s holding flowers and a fruit basket. But he’s not holding the basket of fruits anymore, Kyungsoo’s already carrying it.

“I swear that’s Kim Jongin.”

“Kim who?”

“Jongin. He’s one of my teammates.”

“I see, so we have another concerned teammate here. You shouldn’t have worried about Kyungsoo anymore.”

“He said he doesn’t know where he lives. Damn it. He lied to me.” Chanyeol was gripping his phone tighter now and Sehun could see the crease on his forehead.

“Chill man. He could have just found out about it you know. Maybe he didn’t really know and just called Kyungsoo and this small guy decided to answer his call and not yours.”

“You really had to say that?”

“Haha! Sorry man. Seems like you didn’t have to check Kyungsoo everyday in the first place. I bet they’ve been on the phone for days. Look at how this Jongin guy is caressing Kyungsoo’s face right now…”

“Aiisshhh..” Chanyeol was about to open the door when Sehun stopped him.

“Yeol! Where do you think you’re going? To them?”

“Look, I need to know if Kyungsoo’s really fine, okay?”

“He looks fine to me. Come on, stay here. If he sees you, he’d find out you’re stalking him and what will you tell him when he asks you why, huh?”

That’s right. Sehun has a point. Chanyeol thought. If there’s a person he should be stalking right now, it should be Junmyeon because he’s the only suspect he has. After a few minutes of suppressing his frustration and disappointment at Jongin, a thought dawned to him and it’s telling him to check on Kim Jongin, too.