Hear Me Out

WenRene Book of Joy, Bear and Squirtle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Date Completed: 15th August 2018

Song Recommendation: Moira Dela Torre - Take Her To The Moon (Thank you BitterSweetChocolate for introducing this song to me <3)

Hello, I'm still alive. Happy Wenrene day uwu.

The story was meant to be a drabble, but I got carried away. Sorry for the lack of development in storyline :/ Idea for the story was churned a long time ago with ChaseTheSun, my favourite angst buddy <3

What if soulmates can communicate telepathically? Soulmates AU.

 

Joohyun surfed through the seemingly endless TV channels mindlessly. Nothing was interesting for her and eased her nerves. The week had been a long one, as Joohyun had to do her company’s quarterly account audit and after the gruelling task, she had been granted a day off work, which brought her to her current predicament. She had almost missed being stressed out and having a purpose to fulfil than just lounging around being bored like this.

 

She eventually settled on a show, a documentary if she preferred to be exact – on soulmates. This episode was quite elementary: it appeared to be aiming at an audience younger than Joohyun but Joohyun was bored, lonely and soulmate-less so she would just watch the show, judgement from people be damned.

 

The documentary began with basic enough info; it started by explaining something the world had already known. One day, humanity discovered that a whole lot of the population could start communicating telepathically with each other with a catch: the person would always, always be their soulmates. Sometimes people had more than one soulmates, and although it was quite rare, there was still a number of them known. Most of the time soulmates ended up together, although some would not.

 

A telepathic connection between soulmates could never be cut, unless one of them passed away. They could however, switch off the connection by choice. It would be opened again whenever they chose it. The show went to explain the research done on the topic, and on how it changed the way humanity interact with each other.

 

Soulmate telepathic connection would usually form after soulmate’s first meeting with each other. Sometimes they would realize it, most time they would not until they had solidified their relationship.

 

It was quite interesting, even if Joohyun already knew all of this. She placed a hand over her own forehead, as if she was trying to tap into her own connection.

 

But she knew hers had been quiet for years.

 

It was a realization that twisted her gut into a painful knot, sending a sharp splinter to her healing heart. How could a pain be this intense after years had passed?

 

If there was one thing she was thankful of, it was that she knew the connection was still there even today. It was hard to explain, but a person with such telepathic connection could sense its existence, even if their soulmate closed their other side of connection – blocking anything from leaking out or reaching them. It was as if there was a certain low, comfortable buzz in her brain, something that indicated that her soulmate was still alive.

 

It would just be empty if the connection was cut forcefully.

 

Joohyun mused over the thoughts, wondering how it felt to have more than one soulmates. What happened if you did not close the connection to any of them and had two, or maybe more, speaking to you inside your head at the same time? Would that be considered cheating? If you spoke to one of them, would you send the same message to all of them or would it be a personalized message? What if you accidentally sent the wrong message to the wrong people?

 

Questions of morality and fidelity were always the topic of conversations that rose up for people with many soulmates. Joohyun shuddered at the thought of herself having more than one soulmates; she could not deal with the headache that came with it.

 

If she was to be honest, she could not imagine loving someone else aside of her ex anyway.

 

“Unnie?”

 

Joohyun froze. Oh no, she was imagining things now. The documentary was messing up with her mind and now she was hallucinating that her ex was speaking to her again through their telepathic connection when she knew for a face that said ex had closed their connection after trying so many times to reach her when they just broke up and –

 

“Unnie? Joohyun unnie? Are you there?”

 

Joohyun’s mouth fell agape. It was really her, talking nonchalantly in Joohyun’s head like many years back.

 

“Seungwan.”

 

“I’m glad I got through. I thought you might have closed our connection..”

 

“Urm, I just kinda forgot that it exists, so I never did anything to it.” It sounded stupid, even to her and she quickly added to it to (hopefully) distract Wendy. “What’s up?” Her voice might have sounded casual to other people but to her, she almost sounded a little too hopeful.

 

She missed Wendy.

 

They did not break up in a bad circumstance, although the aftermath was horrible, at least for Joohyun. Wendy had to move back to Canada to take over her parents’ business and Joohyun refused to go with her. She knew that Wendy’s parents did not like her much as she was just a girl from a no-name family studying accounts, hoping to get somewhere with her own hard work. The younger, foolish Joohyun thought that by choosing her parents, it meant that Wendy was putting their relationship at a backburner and stubbornly chose to stay in Korea, naively believing that happy ending would be upon them eventually.

 

That somehow Wendy would discover that she could not live without Joohyun and decided to stay in Korea to be with her soulmate.

 

That did not happen, evidently. They parted way amicably, but Wendy closed her side of their telepathic connection and Joohyun was too much of a coward to do the same thing.

 

Honestly, she wished to hear Wendy’s voice in her head again, just like what was happening but now that it really happened she did not expect to feel awkward and at loss rather than excitement and joy.

 

 “I’m doing great, unnie. I hope you do as well. By the way, call me Wendy please. I go by that name now.”

 

“Oh yeah, sorry. Wendy, right. What’s up? Is there anything important going on?”

 

Joohyun was a little concerned now. Why would Wendy talk to her now after so many years? There must be a mighty important reason or else, Wendy would have gone on longer with her silence treatment.

 

Probably she should have been angry about being abandoned by Wendy but her concern was her main priority now.

 

There was a long pause from Wendy’s side and Joohyun wondered if Wendy had closed their connection again but when Wendy spoke again, Joohyun almost wished she did not hear back from Wendy.

 

“I’m getting married soon, unnie. And I would like to invite you to my wedding.”

 

Probably she should have closed her side of the connection after all.

 

*

 

“Sooyoung, you need to help me.”

 

There was silence at the other side of the line. Joohyun knew how weird she sounded; never in a million years she imagined she would be asking The Sootan for help but here she was, desperate and overwhelmed by helplessness.

 

“Joohyun unnie, you’re scaring me.”

 

Joohyun took a deep breath, she knew she had never asked Sooyoung for anything before (except for maybe some civil conduct and manners from the younger girl when they were out together in public but this time she really needed Sooyoung’s help.)

 

“Remember Wendy? Urm, Seungwan. My ex-girfriend? I told you about her before.”

 

“Ohhh the one who broke up with you to move to Canada and take over her parent’s business? Yeah, I do. What’s up?”

 

“You…don’t have to rub it in that much. But yeah, that Seungwan. She’s getting married and…she wants to meet me along with her fiancée.”

 

“Wait, that’s ed up.”

 

“Uh, she just said she wants to pass the invitation personally and introduce me to her future wife you know, just being polite.”

 

It sounded ridiculous, even to Joohyun but she could not resist meeting Wendy again after so many years. She wanted to see how much the other girl had changed, if Wendy had aged gracefully well and if she still retained the soft and bright expression Joohyun had always missed.

 

A bitter and petty part of her also wanted to see the so-called fiancée of Wendy and found out just why, and how did she lose. She was upset but at the same time, she also wanted to know if Wendy was being treated right.

 

If Wendy was happy being with someone else that was not Joohyun.

 

“That’s- nevermind unnie. I have some colourful word choice for her but I know you’re just going to defend her anyway. So what do you need me to do?”

 

“Please pretend to be my girlfriend and go to meet them with me. She suggested me to bring my partner too if I have any and I…accidentally said I have a girlfriend right now.”

 

“….now I have some colourful word choice for you.”

 

*

 

Joohyun could almost hear her own fast heartbeats as she walked in the café where she promised to meet Wendy with her arms linked around Sooyoung’s. She could feel the younger girl walking beside her getting restless but she tightened her hold over Sooyoung, lest the girl ran away. It was funny how the situation changed. Last night, she was the one going out of her mind, getting nervous over this meeting as she rambled while trying to choose the perfect outfit. Sooyoung just laughed at her nervousness and kept commenting from the side as she threw one outfit after another on her bed.

 

Now, Sooyoung was the anxious one and she appeared mostly calm, although she wanted to bolt out of the café more than anything else. It certainly did not help that everywhere she looked in the café, she was haunted by the ghost of her past memories.

 

This was the place where she and Wendy used to frequent when they were dating. They would choose a table by the corner and had their heads hunched together while studying or just huddled together as they giggled and looked at the patrons of the café that consisted mostly of university students who were tired or weirdly high from coffee. Even today, the main patrons for the café did not change much.

 

Joohyun scanned around the café, avoiding looking at the place where Wendy and her used to sit together back then. She was convinced that would be the last place Wendy would sit but felt her arm being tugged and she turned around to see a frowning Joy whispering at her.

 

“Unnie, would that two person sitting at the table at the end of the corner be Wendy and her fiancée? They had been looking at us since we walked in.”

 

Joohyun turned to look at the familiar place and felt her heart stopped a little when she caught sight of Seungwan, no, Wendy, staring straight back at her with a small smile on her face. She momentarily forgot that they were long past university days, that Wendy now belonged to another, that they both had long been separated by time, place and reasons bigger than themselves.

 

Just for a second, she thought she was late to meet Seungwan and fretted over getting the girl upset but when she arrived at the café, Seungwan would just look up from whatever she was doing and smiled at Joohyun, happy to see her girlfriend even if she was late.

 

Joohyun was brought back to the real world by herself being pulled towards Wendy’s direction. Sooyoung apparently had arrived to her own conclusion while Joohyun was lost in her memories. She panicked a little over the thought of seeing Wendy so close after so many years but the panic turned to sadness when she shifted her gaze and saw a woman with monolid eyes sat beside Wendy comfortably.

 

The woman was pouting and muttering something to Wendy, causing her to look away from Joohyun. Joohyun was almost upset by the loss of attention but when she saw Wendy playfully tickled the monolid girl chin, she resigned to her inescapable fate.

 

Memories should have been left in the past, after all.

 

*

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter