TWICE - MELTING / ICE CREAM (SAIDA)

KPOP STATION : TWICE EDITION

Twice – Melting

Every day, my time with you isn’t enough
I was sad again today so I hid my heart
Stay with me a little more
I wanted to say but I couldn’t

More than anything else you’ve seen
I wanna show you my heart
I hope you know just that
I don’t expect anything else

Oh baby
Are you waiting for me?
Do you miss me?
I’m only thinking about what you like
What do I do?

Melt me, sweeter than ice cream baby
With your words, your smile
Softly melt me
I’m only looking at you
Tell me you love me

Melt me, sweeter than ice cream
I hear your voice
Be my butterfly that looks for a scented flower

After we spend a day together
After a day passes, I hope we can stay together longer
Only sadness remains
I hope you don’t feel differently

Oh baby
Are you waiting for me?
Do you miss me?
I’m only thinking about what you like
What do I do?

Melt me, sweeter than ice cream baby
With your words, your smile
Softly melt me
I’m only looking at you
Tell me you love me

Melt me, sweeter than ice cream
I hear your voice
Be my butterfly that looks for a scented flower

Just us two
Only in your arms
I always want my heart to flutter
Do you know?

Melt me, sweeter than ice cream baby
With your lips, with your touch
I can only see you
Close your eyes
I’ll tell you I love you

Melt me, sweeter than ice cream
I hear your voice
Be my butterfly that looks for a scented flower

 

Dahyun’s POV

I was busy texting my friend while waiting here in JYP’s Star Park for my date.

From: RappingSmolCub To: RappingTofuEagle (2:53PM _ 29/12/2020)

‘You still there, Dubu? Anyways, tell your snake girl that I greet her Happy Birthday. I’m also going on a date with my penguin girl so be texting you later!’

From: RappingTofuEagle To: RappingSmolBean (2:54PM _ 29/12/2020)

‘Ok. Take care, Smol! Always hold Mina-unnie’s hand so you won’t get lost, ok? Bye!’

I chuckled after sending my reply to my bestfriend when someone called out, “Hey.” I looked up and can’t help but to grin after seeing her beautiful smile, the smile that makes me gone crazy in love and melted my heart so many times.

(Flashback: 5 years ago…)

It was my first day of middle school. Fresh from years of doing many childish things and maybe I’m not even ready to let go of those worry-free days. I do many ridiculous things that made me received tons of sermons from my parents and teachers, but either way, there’s one thing I never actually tried … love.

In this generation, many are already in those lovey-dovey relationships even in young age. But it never came into my mind to ever meddle and get myself to loving someone deeply. Sure, I’m a friendly person and I love everyone as they love me back, but it’s all just friendly affections. Call me inexperienced, but at least, I never played with a person’s heart or let them go crazy like those psycho stalker creeps from tragic thriller, drama movies.

Maybe I’m overacting there, especially to the fact that I actually got so many suitors, girls and boys who never stop bothering me. Yet no matter what they do, I just can’t accept their love. Maybe because I can’t give back the same feelings.

To me, I never really felt those sparks and summersaults that my midget friend kept on boasting over my face whenever she sees Mina-unnie walking her elegant all over the campus. Think of me as a bitter person, but I’m fine with it. At least, I support Chaeyoung all the way with her gay love over that Japanese senior.

I’ll never put religious matters with this case of mine either. My uality has nothing to do with my status in love. Maybe I can swing both ways. After all, there are too many good looking people in Seoul. My stupid oblivious heart’s the reason why I’m dead- single in this world full of humans with uncontrollable hormones.

But I guess everything changed when Chaeng asked me to come with her and buy some foods for the upcoming Field Trip. For me, it’s like of a Camp-To-Hell Trip, but since this cub is going. I’m forced to come along too.

Since I’m lazy and not in favor with the upcoming event, I just wear some baggy pants with oversized shirt, covered with a thick hooded jacket, which is my favorite style whenever I’m out alone or with Chaeyoung. My hood is scooped over my snapback cap and I’m wearing my glasses too.

It’s really hard for me to go around with these eyes nowadays. I took my leisure time to walk slowly over the crowded street with my earphones on and head hanging low, looking more interested on the ground I’m landing my every step at.

Because of that position, I didn’t notice the presence of the person in front of me and bumped over hardly. Luckily, my reflexes are still working fine and fast. I was able to catch the stranger safe in my arms.

“Phew, that was close. Are you okay?” I asked, still in the same, somehow embarrassing, position. Because the stranger is light and soft, I guessed that it was girl. And I was right. The only thing is … I didn’t expect that she’s very gorgeous. Believe me or not, I felt that the world suddenly stop as I look in her eyes.

‘What the hell’s happening to me?! It feels like I’m having a heart attack all of a sudden. Can someone explain to me this alienic feeling?!’

Author’s POV

After a minute of pause between the two, the stranger decided to clear which snapped Dahyun out of her thoughts. The pale girl helped the other from standing up.

“I-I’m sorry. I wasn’t looking to where I am going to.” Dahyun bowed and stay still with her head hanging low. “It’s fine. I wasn’t looking too anyway. And you saved me too so thank you.” It was like an angel’s voice to the pale girl. She looked up and saw the former’s bright smile.

“I’m Minatozaki Sana. I hope we can be friends even after this.” The stranger raised her hand for a shake but the other girl didn’t respond. Dahyun was out from reality. She can’t help but to stare at Sana’s brown orbs. The odd feeling was still rolling inside her as she started to be hypnotized. She felt like melting over the girl’s smile.

“Uh, hello?” Sana waved her other hand in front of the pale girl’s face which successfully snapped her from her own daydream, again.

“Huh? Oh! Y-yeah, I-I’m Kim Dahyun. You’re so pretty, I mean, nice to m-meet you, Sana-shi.” Dahyun was blushing hard while the other girl just giggled and muttered, “Cute.”

Dahyun was contemplating if she’ll talk more to the stranger while completely forgetting about the true reason of why she’s going out, or she’ll just shut shyly. But either way, Sana beat her already to it.

“That’s really good to hear and I want to talk to you more, but I’m meeting a friend today and I’m getting late so I hope to see each other again next time, ok? Let’s meet again if fate said so. For now, goodbye, Dahyunnie. Take care.” The other girl took off and Dahyun could only stare at the former girl’s back while waving her hand.

Sana was halfway visible to Dahyun’s poor eyesight. For some reason, the girl’s mouth moved on its own. “I really hope we can meet again too, Sana-shi! You’re really pretty!” Again, Dahyun shut up because of embarrassment, putting a hand in front of . Suddenly, Sana looked back and threw something at the pale girl’s direction.

Dahyun looked at the thing, which turned out to be a crumpled paper, and back to Sana. “See you.” The stranger waved her hand and finally disappeared through the pile of busy people.

Dahyun took the paper and fixed it. A smile suddenly appeared from her pale face as she started walking away like she’s stepping over cloud nine.

Paper:

“Minatozaki Sana
18
Japanese
Single
No: XXXX-XXX-XXXX”

Chaeyoung’s POV

I was literally tapping my foot loudly at the white tiles of the convenience store that some costumers are already looking weirdly at me.

“That freaking pale sure is taking her lovely time getting in here, isn’t she?!” I gritted my teeth while staring intensely on the store’s entrance. After a good five more freaking minute, the God loving piece of ty child finally came in with a very gross grin over her pale face.

I cleared my throat and she quickly snapped her head at me while still holding a piece of paper. “You seemed to be in a good mood right now, Dubu. Won the lottery or something?” A blush appeared from her cheeks as she answered, “N-not really.”

‘This hardheaded little brainless eagle! Can’t she be more honest?! How can I see this friend of mine be in someone’s arms if she kept on denying things?’

I sighed. “I’m fully pissed at you, you know? But seeing that you’re love life is finally starting, I’ll just give some punishments instead of strangling you to death.” I turned my back at her and took a cart for us. “W-what are you talking about?! I’m not in l-love!” She exclaimed, making me roll my eyes on her.

“Yeah, yeah. Said the one who’s an inexperienced stupid person when it comes to love THAT I EVER KNOW! Deny it all you want, Dubu. I’ll try acting stupid for your lame for today and say you’re just stupidly walking like a high person.” I snorted and my bestfriend finally shut while following behind me.

“Don’t go pushing love so much, Dahyun. Live life with actual love even just a little. I’ll support you like how you supported me. And whoever that person may be, she or he is lucky. You’re a nice girl and you deserve a cute love story just like mine and Mina.” I stated while patting her shoulder.

She nodded before shooting me a very surprised look, “Wait! Did you just say love story of you and Mina-unnie?! Are you two together or something?!” She’s like a character from a horror movie right now with her widened eyes and pale face being almost shoved over my own. “Yah! Space, please! SPACE!”

I smack her right in the face and pushed her away. “Geez, don’t do that again, will you?! Yes, we’re finally together. Well, about less than a week now.” I simply said as I took a good number of my favorite strawberry juice.

“And you never told me? What type of friend are you, you midget?!” She pouted while crossing her arms. “Well, I’m the type of friend who’s pretty attentive to my friend’s rants and tantrums. Someone who can actually listen to whatever that friend is saying on things about love.” My stupid friend, who’s supposed to act a little mature since she’s older than me, just stared like a statue at me.

“Oh, so you actually told me?” She muttered and I sighed again. “Yes, Unnie. I told you right after I confessed to her and she accepted it. Last week, remember when we’re cooling our head off in the park?” Dahyun-unnie nodded.

“I asked you if I should say my feelings to Mina or not, and you said that I should since it’s better to be honest and brave than stalking her like a psycho path or something. I followed what you said and confessed the next day. I let you go to the arcade store we’re always playing at while I looked for Mina.”

I stopped and took an armful of random chips when Dubu chirped, “Ah! I finally remembered now. You gave her a box with a letter above it, right? That box has three bottles of Heinz Ketchup and specially drawn portrait of her. You even told me what those gifts meant. Three bottles with a portrait of her for ‘I love you’, right?” I just hummed.

‘She listened, after all.’ I thought and smiled.

“Because of that, I thought I’ll treat for your foods for our trip. But because of the punishment, I should back down for now.” She just sighed and said, “Fine.”

Dahyun’s POV

That night passed by so fast and so was the remaining days before the trip that I didn’t actually notice it was already the day for our Field Trip. Chaeng and I already packed our things. She’d also called Mina-unnie to wait for us in the school gate.

“I’m happy for you, Chaeng.” I said while my bestfriend is sketching something in her pad. ‘It’s Mina’s face again. This cub’s really whipped over her, huh?’ “Thank you, Dubu. I can’t wait to introduce her to you.” Chaeyoung’s smile was very bright that it made me think of something suddenly.

‘What is it really feels like to be in love?’

“Oh, we’re here. Let’s go.” I snap out from my own world when she got up. We dragged our things, passing by every bus that we’ll be riding on for the trip later. Once we’re nearing the school gate, a girl in her simple yet elegant wear, which is just a white floral long-sleeved and denim skirt, was waving a hand over us. Chaeng waved too and chirped, “Minari!” She runs to the older girl’s side while I followed suit.

Mina giggled at my bestfriend. “Miss me much?” Chaeng nodded like a kid. “I’m sure you don’t want to hear how much she whined at me as she tries to get her phone back from my arms. I kept forbidding her since it’s already 1:00AM. I swear I want to strangle her for taking away my beauty sleep.” Mina laughed while Chaeyoung glared at me.

“Hey! I just want to say goodnight to my penguin yesterday and you’re preventing me from it!”, “Seriously? But didn’t you just texted her, an hour before you started whining, a cheesy-as-hell poem?” I propped a victorious smile when I saw her turn speechless and blushing hardly.

“Anyways, I’m Kim Dahyun, Chaengcasso’s bestfriend. I already know you, Mina-unnie. Thanks to this cub’s obsession over you. Please take good care of her. She can be childish sometimes which suits well with her appearance, but she’s very loving and honest, though you need to carry some pair of earplugs. She tend to speak out her lit- raps and poems all of a sudden without any warnings.” I said and raised my hand for a shake.

“Thank you, Dahyun. I will.” Mina-unnie and shook my hand while showing her gummy smiles that can melts everyone’s hearts. ‘Even I sometimes think of it as her beautiful weapon. Luckily, it’s my midget friend who’d able to win that smile.’

We’re having our small talks when someone suddenly called out from behind, “Mina-chan~!” Even though the former owner of the voice was still a little bit far from where we are, I can feel the sense of familiarity from it. ‘I heard that voice before. I know it!’

“Oh, Sana-chan!” Right after Mina called the person’s name that’s behind me, I instantly turned around, only to be struck by a very bright smile that I’ve seen just a week ago.

“I’m sorry, I’m late! My alarm was busted today.” The girl said as she huff and puff from her long sprinting fest. “Nah, it’s ok. By the way, I want to introduce to you my girlfriend and her friend.” Even though she’s exhausted, Sana placed a big smile at Chaeng. When her gaze goes to my direction, I became stiff.

‘Those hypnotizing orbs again. It’s making me melt uncontrollably all of a sudden.’

She was staring intensely at me before smiling brighter than the sun. “Hi, Dahyun! I didn’t think I’ll see you here. You look cute as always.” I turned red at her statement.

“You two know each other?” Mina-unnie asked. “Just a little. She’s the pale cutie I was telling you about. The world is indeed small.” Sana’s answer made me blush even deeper that I’m already lowering my head over them.

“Omo! This is something new! I never thought someone can actually make my dense friend blush like this. My name’s Son Chaeyoung, Mina’s girlfriend. Please tell me more about you later, ok?!” Chaeng enthusiastically shook Sana’s hand while Mina just giggled.

Minutes passed with Mina, Chaeng, Sana and I waiting for our names to be called so we can get into our designated bus. I was in deep awkward silence with Sana while the other two were just being mushy and cheesy with each other that it almost made me want to roll my eyes, if only Sana’s presence is not here.

“Kim Sohye, Kim Umji, Kim Yeri, Lim Nayoung, Kim Jisoo, Yoo Jeongyeon, Kim Sejeong, Jung Eunha, Im Nayeon, Kim Doyeon, Son Wendy, Chou Tzuyu, Kang Mina, Choi Yuju, Myoui Mina, Kim Jennie, Kim Dahyun, Kim Sowon, Park Joy, Jeon Somi, Choi Yoojung, Hirai Momo, Bae Irene, Jung Yerin, Yu Yeonjung, Son Chaeyoung, Pranpiya Lisa, Kim Chungha, Park Roseanne, Kang Seulgi, Jung Chaeyeon, Hwang SinB, Zhou Pinky, and Minatozaki Sana. You’re all riding Bus #101, and I am Park Jihyo, will be your tour guide for the whole trip.”

A woman with big yet beautiful eyes said very loudly. ‘I swear, even without a megaphone, you can clearly hear her voice.’

“She’s so beautiful.” I heard a silent mutter from the tall student named Tzuyu. She’s staring at the tour guide. I can’t help but smile since I found familiarity to how that student stared at Jihyo-unnie. ‘It’s how I stare at Sana last week, right? Completely struck and uttering things without noticing it.’

We all ride the bus and not long after, it finally move to our first destination. Since Mina and Chaeyoung insisted that they want to seat together without being away from us, Sana and I are just in front of their seat.

“I gave you my number but you never called.” Sana said which got me surprised. “S-sorry. I completely forgot about it.” I heard her sigh deeply which made me guilty suddenly. “But at least, we can know each other now, right?” I gave her my own brightest smile and her eyes widened in surprise.

“Are you sure? You want to befriend me?” I got confused at her words but nothing less, I nodded. “I don’t understand what you mean by that but why not, right? I can see that you’re a very nice person and really gorgeous too.” She lowered her head so I can’t see her flushed face.

“O-ok then.” I flashed my brightest smile than even I was surprised that I can actually pull something like that. Unconsciously, she pointed her finger over my nose. I just laughed at her. I didn’t notice that I was seriously melting inside.

The trip went by magically for me. I enjoyed it because of the presence of a certain someone. I wasn’t joking when I said that it’s more like of a Camp-To-Hell Trip, but I guess that doesn’t matter anymore because Sana kept my company fun and lively. Chaeng will sometimes tease me while I blush madly and start kicking her off back to her penguin’s arms.

I never know that love can be like this. ‘Yes, I am calling it love now. I am really saying that I’m in love. I’m freaking IN LOVE with Sana.’

Without even listening to Chaeng’s pestering jokes over me and my hopeless love life, I was able to finally understand it. No more explanation was needed. There’s only one thing I can fully explain this feeling of love, the feeling of melting. I am melting like an ice cream. And it’s all because of Minatozaki Sana.

Time goes by really quick but each passing day was a time to remember for me. Sana and I became much closer than ever. I made new friends because of her too. Like the tall student, Tzuyu. She’s a silent person but a total caring and savage one. She became one of my bestfriend and surprisingly, she and Jihyo-unnie turns out to be dating. That tall kid never stopped bothering the poor tour guide so here they are, being sweet and all.

There’s this another one who became my new bestfriend too. She’s Yoo Jeongyeon, Sana’s co-senior, who’s like Chaeyoung’s half-brother for some seriously ridiculous reason and the infamous Queen Bee’s, Im Nayeon, girlfriend. The two and I clicked instantly towards one thing, having the most embarrassing moments in church.

Mine was back on my middle school where I’m one of the volunteers and I decided to dance for the mass. Ever heard of the ‘Eagle Dance’? Jeongyeon and Nayeon’s are a little more centered. The ostrich just said out a very out-of-the-world joke and everyone literally looked at her like she’d grown another head or something, while the bunny … well, let’s just say she got a very special mention moment from the priest after sleeping SOUNDLY with wide open.

Mina and Sana even introduced me to now my food-eating buddy, Hirai Momo. When I say she’s a binge eater, she really is. I often think if she’s even human because she never gets fat.

‘I guess that’s the reason why Sana and Mina sulks whenever we’re all going out to eat together with Momo. Not gaining too much fat is a girl’s ultimate dream was very true.’

She just simply made my days much brighter than I expected. I thought I was fine with whatever I have, but that thought was destroyed because right now, I’ve suddenly craving for more. My heart was craving for more like I can’t get enough of her … of Minatozaki Sana.

And that’s why I decided to let it out. I kept it to myself because I want it to be credited only to me, the stupid loveless pale girl who’s now falling hard over a certain Japanese girl. My friends are all clueless that someone like me will pull out something so sweet.

With everything set and ready. I texted Sana to have a date with me and she quickly accepted it. The first hours ran smoothly with us enjoying some rides in the amusement park and eating random foods at my favorite restaurant.

But the air ended a little awkward when we decided to walk in silence around the park. I don’t know but Sana’s a little weird since she’s the jolly and loud one between us, but I didn’t give any notice for it because I was busy encouraging myself to speak up.

‘Come on, Dubu. It’s now or never for you!’

I stopped and she looked at me. Confusion is all over her eyes, though I can feel something more. Either way, I breathed in and let my mouth do the work.

“Sana, I know this is kind’a cringy but please, whatever I’m about to say are true and it all came here in my heart.” Her eyes widened as I continued, “From this day fort, I wanna show you my heart without hiding anything. I know I’m a lame and stupid person when it comes to love, but I really love you and I hope you know just that.” I smiled as I see her blush.

“To be honest, I don’t expect anything else. I was happy of us being best friends. But Chaeyoung did say that being honest is better than anything. After our field trip, I’m only thinking about what you like because I want to get closer to you. Being sweet is not my forte but I can be straight forward for you. Honesty is what I can ensure to the people important to me.

With your words, I’m okay. I’ll never get tired listening to it. I’ll even tape everyone’s mouth so I can only hear your voice. Even your smile is so mesmerizing that it turned out as my greatest weakness and ultimate strength. Softly, you starting to melt me, and I am right here willing to be melted by your gaze, those brown orbs that stare right into mine.

Through all the days and nights we spend together, I felt more than alive. Ecstasy is a weird term for it but I do feel addicted whenever I’m with you, thank does angelic cute voice of yours. But then every day, my time with you isn’t enough. I started to want for more. If I can freeze time so I can spend my entire day with you, I will.

I won’t tell you to stay with me a little more, I’ll tell you to stay with me forever instead. I’ll hold on to you and you’ll do the same to me. But I’m not forcing you to, okay? In the end, it’s still you who’s going to decide if you’ll accept these feelings of mine. I only hoped that whatever the result, you’re still here for me. I can’t imagine a day without you, you know?

So … Minatozaki Sana, will you be my butterfly that looks for a scented flower? You’re too beautiful to be a flower so be the butterfly instead while I’m the flower. I‘d rather choose only you to land over my fragile petals. Will you be my girl, my butterfly and the other half of my heart?” I held her hand tightly but with serious care and love.

I heard no reply from my long confession so I just closed my eyes and waited. Silence took its leisure moment to envelope us, but I can’t feel any awkwardness, only worry and anxiety. About a minute passed until I heard a whimper. Surprised, I shot my eyes open and saw her crying.

I want to ask why though I also want to shed a tear or two because maybe … she wants to reject me. But I need to toughen myself now for Sana.

‘Even if it might hurt me so bad, I did say I’m ready for the result of this, right? Geez, how can I ever imagine that love can be like this?’ I thought while hugging the cheerful girl who’s now sobbing hard in my arms.

“I’m so sorry, Dahyun. I’m really sorry.” She weakly said as she continued to sob. I just gulp a lump of nothingness at her words. I’m never the type of person who jumps over to a conclusion hastily, but I can’t help and think of this as a hard slap of rejection. It hurt so much, it really is.

‘But I can’t shed a tear on it right now. At least acting strong is the better choice for now, huh?’

I just tighten my embrace over her and calmly said, “It’s fine, Sana. I’m fine … everything’s fine.” I rubbed her back slowly and tried to pull the brightest smile I can muster. ‘Even though I’m really not.’

(End of Flashback…)

That moment was so bad and melancholic that I want to forget or fabricate it somehow, but I can’t. After all, that moment was when I finally had you as mine. It was the time where things turn clear and I felt that I was the luckiest person in the world.

“Finally, you’re here.” I simply said as you took a seat beside me.

Are you waiting for me? Sorry, it took me a while before I can pick proper clothes to wear.” You said while encircling your soft arms around mine. “I told you that even the simplest clothes are fine. You’ll still be very beautiful no matter what you wear anyway.” I pinched your puffy cheeks and you giggled.

“And it’s totally fine to wait. I can keep my connected over this bench for years if you’re the one I’m waiting to show up.” I sweetly said and chuckled.

‘Geez, if Chaeyoung’s here, I’m sure she’ll be puking things uncontrollably.’

Oh, baby. Since when did you become such a sweet talker, Dubu-ah? Where did the innocent lame girl I’ve known?” You teased. “She’s still here. She just changed a little after meeting the love of her life who’s more addicted on kissing my cheeks than being mature.” I teased back and you just heartily laughed before kissing my cheeks.

Do you miss me, Sana-unnie? I’ve been busy with schools because I’m on my last year and I’m worrying if you’re feeling lonely lately.” I worriedly asked while caressing my girlfriend’s face. “Of course, I’m ok. Yes, I am missing you every day. But you did said that everything is worth waiting for if it’s you and me, right?”

You answered as a matter of fact and I smiled. “Yeah, it really is.”

Author’s POV

(Flashback: 5 years ago…)

The younger one was still comforting the crying girl even though she’s pretty broken in side. The taller girl slowly pulled away even with tears still present from the corner of her eyes. “Come on. Stop crying, Unnie. Do you know that you look ugly whenever you cry?” Dahyun tried to cheer the older girl even when she’s already crying inside.

“N-no … you don’t understand, Dahyun.” Sana weakly said between her sobs. “What is it that I’m not getting right? Tell it to me, Sana. I’ll understand every single word you’ll say.” Dahyun said with tone of desperation as her eyes screams to shed tears that she kept on pushing back.

“I’m thankful that you love me, Dubu-ah, I really am. But accepting it after what happened in the past is very hard. I … I’m too guilty to even say that I feel the same.” Confusion made its presence in Dahyun’s mind. ‘What is she talking about? What past? Did we meet each other before?’

“What do you mean?” That are the words that the pale girl had enabled to say before she started to feel an extreme pain in her head. Sana looked up as Dahyun start to scream in pain. “D-Dahyun, are you okay?!” She cupped the girl’s face, whose eyes are closed tight because of her throbbing head. “Sana … Sa … na-chan…” Dahyun fainted in Sana’s arms.

“Dahyun? DAHYUN?!” The older girl shook Dahyun’s body as fresh new tears flowed down her cheeks. She was starting to feel helpless when she noticed something from the girl’s face.

A very faint scar was visible over the right side of Dahyun’s forehead. This made Sana cry even more. “This … this is the scar I caused from being with you. I’m so sorry, Dubu-ah. I’m really sorry for everything.”

Dahyun’s POV

I was walking on a blurry corner. It was like a vast open space filled with good soil, clean grass and beautiful flowers. I don’t know what’s actually happening but the view around me was slightly familiar, as if I had once set my small feet in this grassy place. ‘Wait, small feet?’

Noticing something odd, I looked over my whole body and was surprised to realize that it’s actually my body when I was still a small kid. ‘What’s the meaning of this?’

Getting more confused, I stroll around to search for an answer until someone suddenly called out my name, “Dahyun-ah!” I looked back and my eyes widened like saucers at what I saw. ‘S-Sana?’

A kid version of Sana was smiling brightly at me. “Where have you been? I’ve been looking for you everywhere.” Her lips turn into pout as she encircles her arms around mine. I was about to answer with a question when a weird voice beat me into it.

“Sorry, Sana-chan, I was lost.” My kid voice answered instead. ‘Why did I say a different one? I’m totally confused.’

“Hmm … ok, but you need to buy me lots of ice cream so I can forgive you.” She chirped, puffing her squirrel-like cheeks at me. “Arasso! Anything for you, Unnie.” I pinched her cheeks while she just giggled and dragged my small body to a very big tree. “But before that, let’s start our picnic! I prepared everything for you, Dubu-ah!”

Your cheerful, childish voice never failed to plaster a smile over my lips. But somehow, my every move wasn’t actually ordered by myself, or even my words. It’s like I’m inside the memories of the past me. ‘Yet then … why can’t I remember any of this?’

“I really like you, Dahyunnie! Don’t ever leave me, ok? It’s an order.” I sensed the authority over her pleading words, but both me and the past Dahyun doesn’t seem to mind at all. “Of course, Sana-unnie. I’ll always be by your side. I’ll protect you, cheer you up, and love you!” Even I was surprised of my own words.

‘I was this bold back then?!’

“M-mwo?! D-did you just say you l-love me?! Do y-you mean it?!” A flustered older Sana is just as cute as this little Sana. “Yup. I love you, Sana!” This little me hugged her tightly. I can barely see the deep flushed face of little Sana. She looks like she’s about to drown over my tight embrace.

‘Seriously, is there any more way for her to be much cuter than this?!’

I was savoring every piece of this fragmental memory of my childhood when I felt like someone is suddenly pulling me. A strong force was grabbing me away from Sana.

I was struggling to get away that my eyes closed tightly. Feeling my own strength getting back to me, I give a powerful step forward. I finally freed myself from the strange force, thus opening my eyelids, only to be surprised of what I was seeing. The cool and calm grassy place was gone. Every corner of the space I see was changed into scene of a busy street under a heavy rain.

I was feeling lost when I heard a sob behind me. Sensing the familiarity from that person’s whimpering noise, I turned around and was greeted by a hard slap.

“I thought you’ll always protect me! I thought you’ll never leave my side! Why did you left me being bullied there, Dahyun?! Why?!” A crying little Sana was shouting in anger at me. Knowing nothing, my inside stood clueless until the kid Dahyun spoke, “I’m sorry, Sana. I suddenly felt scared.”

My head lowered and the guilt of the past me was getting transmitted to the actual me, making myself feel sad too. I received another pounds of shaky hand hitting my shoulders. “I … I hate you, Dahyun-ah. Y-you broke your promise.”

Little Sana continued to cry while the rain water followed every flows of her tears that drips down to the ground unstoppably. I felt my own tears flowing down too.

I then heard her footsteps as she slowly walked away from me. The past me shot a look over her back. Due to the heavy rain, it was almost too blurry to visualize the area. Sana kept on her slow pace when all of a sudden, a loud screech of a car with no control was nearing her.

Both the past and inner me felt the adrenaline flow fast inside our system as our mind already predicted the worst scenario that was going to happen. Another rush of panic gave me the energy which pushed every fiber of my muscle to act and run to where Sana is.

Without thinking twice, I lunge forward and jumped with my arms stretched out. My wet hands comes contact with Sana’s back together with my strength which ended her getting pushed hardly away from the road. Within just a millisecond, I felt relieved, and after that, the next one was a hard jab over my side that sends me flying.

‘So this is the feeling of being run over by a car. , it hurts like hell. But it’s fine. Sana’s safe and that’s all that matters.’

My vision was quickly turning blank and blurry as my head felt lightly numb from the blow. “Sana, be safe … for … me, o-okay?” Seeing her face before red and black ate my sight was enough to make me satisfied.

‘I’ll fulfill every promise I made for you, Sana. May it be from the words of past me or the present one.’

With that, I was dragged again. But this time, I was back from reality. Stirring slowly from my slumber, I opened my eyes. Feeling a soft pillow over my head made me frown. Turning my head to my left, I saw the face of the girl in my dreams. “Sana…” I was lying on the bench while she’s sitting there, making me use her lap as my pillow.

My heart started beating fast when she looked at me straight in the eye. Without any second thought, I rose up and hugged her tightly. “Thank God, you’re safe!” As I say that, tears begun to flow down her eyes again as she sob on my shoulder.

“I’m so sorry, D-Dahyun. If it wasn’t because of me, you wouldn’t have that scar. I really wanted to apologize to you but your parents told me that they’ll take you back here in Korea for your treatment. I was broken inside though it was really my fault. I never stopped praying and thinking of you, Dubu-ah. Not a single day I forgot to wish to see you again.” She confessed which softened my heart to the fullest.

“Don’t cry anymore, Sana-ah. Even from the start, I know the old me wasn’t angry at you. Little Dahyun loves you so much that she kept her promise and protected you, right? No matter what happened in the past, may it be very blurry in my mind, my promises back then never died away. Right now … I’ll promise you once again … that I’ll protect you, cheer you up, and love you, Sana. I’ll do all that forever.” The bright girl in front of me cried again while I give a kiss on her forehead, sending my love on the warm contact.

“I was sad and happy at the same time when you showed up that night in the busy street. After so long, you’ve finally grown into a nice and beautiful girl. I felt my world stopping because the answer to my prayers was finally revealed. You’re alive and well, though I understood too that you forgot about me. It was possible anyway so I let it pass.

I took the opportunity to befriend you again when I met you on our Field Trip. I thought that maybe it was a chance for me to make things right, yet something inside my head said that if I pushed myself to you, the same thing might happen again. Because of it, I put a limit of my aim. I can only be your friend and nothing more. I’ll endure it even if it made me sad. I can at least be happy with you around as something special to me.

But then, I was sad again today when you invited me for a date. I can’t think straight, worrying if I might put you in danger again … so I hid my heart and kept my mouth shut from saying anything I know about you. I love you so much that I was actually scared. I wanted to say it out, but I couldn’t.

I was turning into a coward everytime I see your eyes. Those eyes are showing and telling the exact same thing when we’re still kids. The love and affection was completely the same that I began to feel every bits of my body starting to shiver in guilt, sadness … and happiness.” Sana’s eyes are staring at mine and it feels like I’m about to fall over those eyes that resembles a world I want to live.

‘Her world with me inside it.’

“Stop worrying about the past, Sana. Don’t apologize anymore, only think of now and the next days that will come. I’ll show you my love, more than anything else you’ve seen. I make you feel important once more. If you’ll see my scar, don’t frown or cry. Think of it as a seal that you’re my princess and I am your servant. The cup and cone of your sweet ice cream heart.” I kissed her crown again before placing my hand over her cheeks to caress it.

“I love you, Dahyun-ah. I’m lucky, I have someone like you. I want to thank the God for making you exist and for making a wonderful fate for the both of us. I’ll try smiling our past away. You loved me once, and you love me twice again … I can’t wish for more after. Thank you, Dubu.” Sana finally showed her bright smile and hugged me tight.

My heart kept on beating fast while the smile on my face never left me. Once she pulled away and said, “Melt me, sweeter than ice cream, baby.” She said with her cutie-y tone that made me laughed. She slapped my right arm and pouted.

“Meanie~! That was supposed to be seductive and hot, not a laughing stock for you!” You started ranting unstoppably so I decided to hold your fragile hands.

Though I want to tease you more, I just dropped it and said something else. “What do I do? With something so precious and lovely, what do I do with you, Sana?” You stopped and stared. Ours both fell on each other’s lips. You your lips while I gulped. “Sana, c-can I?” You just hummed and nodded.

Not waiting for any more cue, I leaned in. Slowly but steadily, my lips finally landed on yours. It was sweet, taste like vanilla ice cream. The kiss was so simple and innocent yet full of unspoken words of true love. Once we pulled away, both of us can’t help but to blush.

“H-hey, Dubu-ah.”, “W-what?”, “Can you tell me you love me … again and again?” I just smiled at your request and cleared my throat. “Ok, close your eyes and I’ll tell you how much I love you.” You did what I told you and remained silent, waiting for my words.

I’m only looking at you, my one and only love. After we spend a day together, I started to wish for more. It’s simply because I love you. Only in your arms, I feel complete. Wherever I go, I can only see you. You softly melt me on each passing day. I’m only looking at you, silently sending signals that I hoped you’ll receive one day. With your words, I’m completely falling over your smile that made me stumbled many times like how the clumsy you always did.

If ever only sadness remains there in your mind and heart, then let me fill it with happiness instead. You don’t need to cry anymore, because I’m here to make you smile. I hope you don’t feel differently coz I’m younger than you. I’ll prove to you that I can love you better than anyone else. Do you know? I’m turning into a cheese ball whenever you’re showing me your aegyos.

I always want my heart to flutter so I made you do it randomly when I call you in the phone. Gosh, I feel like fainting on your cuteness. After a day passes by my lone time with you, I hope we can stay together longer. May it be a pray or a chant in my thoughts, all I scram inside is for the time to stop when I’m with you.” With that, I kissed your forehead, nose and lips.

“Haha, arasso! I hear your voice full of cheesiness clearly. I’m all satisfied now. Thank you, Dubu-ah. I love you so very much!” You gave me a quick peck on the lips and giggled. Your puffy cheeks flushed in pink as your eyes are staring only into mine.

We were looking up in the skies silently when we heard a rustling noise from a bunch of bushes near our spot, gaining our attention.

“Hey, get off me! You guys are heavy as hell!”, “Shut up! They might hear us!”, “You two are so noisy!”, “Like if you’re not. They’ll sense our presence if you keep talking.”, “Quiet, guys! I can’t hear them!”, “Why did I even join your little stalking game?”, “I should be asking that.” Random familiar voices boomed around before a pile of suspicious bodies stumbled out the bushes.

Once their faces are shown from the light of the street lamps, it came out to be our friends; Jeongyeon, Nayeon, Jihyo, Chaeyoung, Momo Mina and Tzuyu respectfully in order.

“The hell are you guys doing here?!” I shouted at them while Sana is pulling me down. They all gulped when they met my glares.

“It’s not my fault!” Jihyo bragged. “Shut up! You’re the one who dragged me here.” Jeongyeon retorted. “Don’t you dare deny your curiosity, Yoo!” Nayeon flared back. “These s literally pulled me by the leg so don’t give me that look!” Momo cried out. “Chaenggie tricked me. I’m innocent, I swear!” Mina screech in high-pitched tone.

‘Wow … that was surprisingly loud.’

“Thanks for being honest, babe.” Chaeyoung sarcastically said before rolling her eyes. “I just followed them.” Tzuyu monotonously said. That and more ranting came up, making me and Sana sigh heavily at them.

“I can’t believe these guys.” I mumbled, which made Sana giggled. “Let them be.” She encircled her arms over mine while we watched our friends strangle each other.

“Dahyunnie … how about we run away from them?” She asked out of the blue. “Just us two?” I asked back and she nodded. I just smiled as an answer and Sana started to pull me away from our gay friends. “Let’s continue our date, Dubu-ah!”

(End of Flashback…)

“Hey, Sana?” I called out while we walk side by side with our hands hold firmly with each other. “Yes?” She replied cutely making me chuckle before holding out my free hand to her puffy cheeks.

“Happy birthday, my sweet baby who melts me like an ice cream from then till now. With your lips, I’m complete. With your touch, I’m safe. Thank you for being here with me, Jagiya. I have no gift for you except this.” I let go of her hand and knelt down.

Her eyes are as wide as saucers when I showed her a ring. “Marry me?”

No actual words needed. Her joyful tears and warm kiss is all I need as a crystal-clear answer for my question. And she did … and now I’m melting again.