Rumpled Sheets

Through his eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Before Charlotte went to bed she checked her phone to see if Jinnie had texted her as she drove home; it may have seemed rude for her to run off the way she did, but as soon as Jinnie started to talk on that bench under the moonlight all she could think of was an article that she had read awhile back. It was about when it is rude to propose marriage. At the top of the list was at someone else’s wedding. It mentioned that no matter how romantic it seemed, it was basically stealing the thunder from the newly married couple and she wanted Hyesung and Celeste to have all the happiness they deserved, even if it meant putting her own happiness on hold for a few hours….. or however long it would take. She made sure that Jacob was tucked in and fast asleep. Tiffany was still at the wedding and probably wouldn’t be home until dawn, the reception had been planned to be an overnight party, with a breakfast buffet served before the guests left. Charlotte changed out of her dress and washed off her makeup before she went to lay in bed.

“He’s going to propose….. I shouldn’t be so nervous. The garden was so beautiful but I couldn’t let him finish. I wanted a moment that was only mine. I hope he can see it that way”, she whispered and she rolled on her side and tucked one arm under her pillow and looked at the Lego heart that she had moved to her nightstand until she finally fell asleep.

Jinnie rubbed his eyes as he woke up, he had taken a cab from the church to her house as soon as the reception was over. He was in the hallway outside her door, his suit jacket draped over him and his shoes beside him. Tiffany had left before him so no one knew he was out in the hallway, he was a little embarrassed but he wanted to catch Charlotte first thing in the morning. Her kiss before she left last night told him that everything was okay but he was still nervous. He slid his back up the wall until he had his feet under him and slung his jacket over his shoulder; he left his shoes in the hallway so they wouldn’t make any noise as he made his way through the apartment, it was just after sunrise and he didn’t hear any noise from inside so he was sure everyone was still asleep. He punched in the pass code and hoped the beeps weren’t as loud as they seemed from the silent hallway. He opened the door gently and peeked in; the daybed in the living room where Tiffany slept was occupied and he saw the top of Tiffany’s head peeking out from under the blanket. Jacob’s bedroom door was shut and Jinnie made his way into the living room and shut the door behind him softly. On tip toes he snuck through the living room and held his breath as Tiffany stirred under the blankets and started to mumble in her sleep.

“Of……course they all have some…….stupid goat……”, Tiffany mumbled and rolled so her face was against the wall and stopped talking.

Jinnie exhaled softly and continued his journey to Charlotte’s room. The door was wide open and he could see the dress she had worn last night on a hanger on the edge of her full length mirror. Rays of sunlight streamed through the window and made the blue chiffon throw colors on the plain white walls. Charlotte lay on her side, the blanket on the floor. He went over and fixed the blanket carefully before he set his jacket on the foot of the bed before he slipped into bed with her, face to face and closed his eyes. He was finally where he wanted to be and as soon as he woke up, he would pick back up where he left off.

 

Kaye and Maggie sat in the empty room where the reception had been held. Everyone else had left and they had just finished the last of the cleanup.

“So where did Charlotte disappear to last night? I saw Jinnie run after her, they had been in the garden just before”, Maggie said with a yawn as she wiggled her bare toes again the chilled wooden floor.

“Maybe Jacob was ready to go home”, Kaye said and looked around the bare room that had been filled with so many happy people just an hour ago.

Maggie pulled her phone out and dialed Jinnie’s number, “I wonder if he’s still awake, I bet I can make him tell me what happened”, she said with a grin as she heard his phone ring.

 

Charlotte heard a phone ringing and she swiped her hand over the mattress, she missed Jinnie’s sleeping form by a few inches and her fingertips brushed against a block of hard plastic. She gripped it and blinked as she answered the call.

“Hello?”, her voice was soft and rough with sleep as she answered, her eyes closed again.

“Jinnie? Did I wake you up?”, Maggie said, she thought his voice sounded totally different.

“You’ve got the wrong number”, Charlotte mumbled and hung up. She let the phone drop to the bed and snuggled back into the blankets and fell asleep again. Her sleep was disturbed again almost immediately by another phone ringing. She rolled over and patted her nightstand until she found the phone she had set there the night before.

“What?”, she said grumpily as she answered the phone.

“Charlotte?”, Maggie said uncertainly, her eyes locked on Kaye’s tense face.

“Mmmpfh, yes it’s Charlotte. Maggie?”, Charlotte yawned and looked at her phone and saw the picture she had taken of Maggie for her contact picture.

“Just checking to see th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter