Masquerade Ball

Cupid at Heart
The most awaited day had arrived. Ever since early sunrise, everyone in the castle was busy preparing for the grand masquerade ball. All the servants and knights were especially jolly, knowing that they themselves obtained the privilege to join the party. The sooner they finished their task, the sooner they could get ready for the highlight of the night.
 
“Hold still, Hyunmi,” Seulyi told the princess whom she was helping to get ready an hour before the ball. She had placed a corset around the princess’ torso, trying to keep it in place as she tightened the lace from behind. It matched the white pantaloon the princess wore.
 
Hyunmi gasped out loud, flailing her arms in agony. “I can hardly breathe,” she squirmed, begging the head maid to have mercy on her.
 
“I know. That is the purpose of wearing this devilish device,” Seulyi spoke with gritted teeth as she exerted all her strength to pull again. “Hold your breath.”
 
The princess obeyed and inhaled as much air as possible to shrink her waist. Seulyi finally secured the lace in a knot, and let go to admire her masterpiece. Not for long, however, because the crinoline followed soon afterwards.
 
Hyunmi dreaded such formal events. Despite her status as a princess, she was never fond of these fancy dresses. All she longed for was to move around comfortably.
 
She slipped her feet inside the ballroom slippers that matched the red roses in the garden. She then allowed Seulyi to place the structured petticoat around the her small waist. The end of the crinoline was hooked together and safe in place.
 
“The king bought you a dress for this special night,” Seulyi said, retrieving the gown from the wardrobe. She motioned Hyunmi to come closer, and placed the gown over her.
 
It was a beautiful dress the color of red, like any other attire found in the Heart kingdom. There was an intricate pattern etching the front of the dress in gold laces, stopping at the torso as the silky maroon material extended all the way to the floor. The long off shoulder sleeve was held on by the same golden lace, fashioning a design that would expose her bare neck and shoulders.
 
“We must admit, your father has an impeccable taste,” Seulyi said as both she and the princess admired the reflection in the vanity mirror.
 
For once, Hyunmi resembled true royalty, wearing an outfit that only enhanced her blessed beauty. Though she was afraid the Prince of Spade wouldn’t be able to look away and would be swayed by her physical appearance.
 
“Cupid won’t be able to resist,” Seulyi then blankly remarked as if it was an ordinary thing to say.
 
“W-what?” Hyunmi felt her heart race at those words alone. She could only stare at her friend’s reflection, watching the head maid pick up several hair strands to start making a braid.
 
“Even a commoner like me could feel the undeniable attraction between you two.” Seulyi gently braided the top of the princess’ long black hair, and let the rest of it hang loose off shoulders.
 
Hyunmi bit her lips, forgetting she had already stained it with red pigments to give off an elegant look. She did not dare to look at her own reflection, knowing her cheeks had taken on a shade as red as her dress.
 
“Do you, perhaps, suppose the attraction is mutual?” The princess then asked rather bashfully. Every part of her logic knew it was wrong, and her reasonings reminded her it was a dangerous area to trespass, yet her heart could not waver.
 
“I suppose,” Seulyi said calmly, letting go of the princess as she finished the hairdo. “If he asks you to dance tonight despite knowing the danger awaiting him, I suppose we could make that assumption.”
 
The thought itself made the princess grin from ear to ear, and anyone would mistake her glee as her receptiveness towards the courtship. But her focus was never on the prince to begin with. She wished to dance with cupid, more than anything.
 
“Well, I will now excuse myself for I would like to impress the Hatter once he—”
 
Seulyi got stopped when the princess grabbed her by the arm. Hyunmi then got up from her chair and difficulty turned around to her friend with a smile. “To award your kind assistance, I shall now return the favor.”
 

 
The moment the bedroom door was opened, the two ladies were greeted by prince Dongwoo who had been awaiting their presence. He had a look of awe on his face, admiring his younger sister with so much affection. The head maid was a beauty as well and would make a man turn twice to stare.
 
“Have you been waiting in front of my room?” Hyunmi questioned.
 
“I dare not interrupt when you were readying yourself,” Dongwoo spoke. He smiled at her and offered his arm.
 
Hyunmi excused herself from Seulyi, and linked her own arm around her brother’s. Out of the three older siblings, she had always been the closest to Dongwoo. Although their time spent together was not as frequent as it used to be ever since he became a royal advisor to the king.
 
“For whatever reason have you sharpened your virtue of patience, dear brother?” Hyunmi questioned as he led her through the corridors toward the ballroom.
 
“I want to thank you for doing this,” he began, and it made the princess turn to him with a frown. “Father is really concerned about finding an heir to the throne. Your willingness to agree to this is a great sacrifice, but I am certain it makes our father happy.”
 
“I should be happy as long as father is happy. But I have never been fond of this idea of courtship,” Hyunmi said, squeezing her brother’s arm softly.
 
“I know.” Dongwoo’s voice sounded exhausted, and he gently patted his sister’s hand with his own. “I have my own courtship to worry about. So I am hoping to learn several things from the Prince of Spade.”
 
Hyunmi gave her brother an apologetic look. All this while, she was the one throwing a fuss while her brother struggled an equally tough battle. “Will the Princess of Diamond be here tonight?”
 
“I believe we have sent an invite. But I am not allowed to interact with her unless we have set an official date for the courtship to commence.”
 
“How complicated.” Hyunmi disregarded all rules and clung unto his arms like a child reluctant to have her teddybear taken away. “It would be much better if we weren’t born as royalty.”
 
Dongwoo chuckled weakly and sighed along. “But we were.”
 
They had arrived at the front door of the grand ballroom. They stared at each other, and Dongwoo offered her another reassuring smile.
 
“Do not be worried.” He picked up a mask from underneath his blazer and placed it over his sister’s face, careful not to ruin her braids. With the red mask in tact, it only brought out the color of her dark brown eyes that could easily captivate a man. He then wore his own mask to conceal his identity.
 
“I will lend you some of my strength.”
 
With that, he pushed the tall white door to the grand ballroom. Two male servants pulled the entrance open from the inside.
 
The special ballroom was exceptionally stunning during nighttime. The light of the crystallized chandelier shone brightly over the dark night sky outdoor. The room was painted in rays of gold, which greatly contrasted the party attire worn by the guests. Everyone was either dancing on the dance floor, or trying to acquaint themselves with another. The guests’ movements were so easy to read as the royal siblings stood on top of the stairs.
 
“Oh, the prince and princess,” Kihyun remarked when he saw the two appearing together, and lightly curtsied. He was wearing his best red suit—though all his suits were all red to begin with—and looked especially stunning that day. Even the hair between his white rabbit ears were combed backwards for once.
 
“Has the Prince of Spade arrived yet?” Hyunmi asked as her eyes surveyed the sea of people present. The one she was searching for with her eyes was a different person from the one she inquired about.
 
“Certainly, Your Majesty.” Kihyun bobbed his head to his answer. “He has an astounding charisma and aura about him. I am sure you would be unable to look away once you spot him.”
 
Hyunmi glanced at the rabbit worryingly. His answer failed to reassure her.
 
“What about the Princess of Diamond?” Dongwoo then questioned.
 
“She has not arrived yet,” Kihyun answered, noting the princess’ distracted gaze towards the crowd in front of them. “Shall I make your arrival known?”
 
“Yes, please.”
 
Kihyun clenched the golden horn in his hand and blew a short tune on it. “The Prince of Heart, prince Dongwoo, and youngest Princess of Heart, princess Hyunmi.”
 
Dongwoo thanked the rabbit kindly. With Hyunmi’s hand still around his, he carefully guided her to descend the stairs. He knew she was not used to her ballroom attire or to wearing the crinoline, and needed all the help she could get to move around.
 
Though several bystanders of the crowd halted their movements to look at the princess’ rumored beauty, they were unaware of Hyunmi’s growing restlessness. She looked around the crowd, but couldn’t see a familiar face. Though they were all wearing mask, there was no sign of Cupid, or the Hatter, or the March Hare. What if their plan was going to fail before it was set into motion?
 
“I shall go see where father is. Would you be fine on your own?” Dongwoo asked.
 
“Seulyi shall join me soon. Fear not,” she told her brother reassuringly. When Dongwoo left, she pondered why she hadn’t sighted one person she knew. Where was everyone?
 
“Ah, so the rumors are true. The youngest princess does possess remarkable beauty that would make a goddess bath in envy.”
 
The honeyed voice that made her succumb to her own feelings, along with the all too familiar line she still heard in her daydreams was the answer she had been searching for. This was no doubt the words spoken by cupid.
 
Her chest fluttered with the excitement to meet him again. She turned around, spinning her dress with her, and came face to face with the man she could recognize behind the mask. He was smiling at her, and it made him appear as good-looking as always. He was all dressed up, wearing a color that conveniently matched her red dress.
 
“A beauty like yours, there truly is none. You make it impossible for men to look away,” Woohyun spoke in his usual poetic tendencies.
 
“Would that include the son of a goddess?” She found herself asking, unable to stop herself from making such playful remarks. Knowing they were always reciprocated by Woohyun’s charming reply, it encouraged her to keep exclaiming those words out.
 
“Perhaps you have a specific person in mind,” Woohyun replied, approaching the princess.
 
“Perhaps it is the one standing in front of me now,” she said daringly, watching his eyes flicker with surprise. His lips parted slightly, but soon the dimples sunk back with his smile.
 
“I am looking at you now, aren’t I?”
 
The words made the princess suppress yet another bashful smile. She could barely keep herself still, fiddling her fingers together as she crossed one leg behind the other. Her heart, oh her poor heart, if only cupid knew what he was doing to her, perhaps he would’ve spared her some of his most affectionate lines. Perhaps he wouldn’t stare at her with such loving eyes that always left her feeling warm.
 
“W-where is Myungsoo?” She then questioned in an attempt to bend the topic. Knowing they were at a public event, it wouldn’t be wise to have anyone sight her endless affection towards cupid.
 
“He is on his way here. Last time I spoke to him, he has told me of his plan. However, I am not sure you would like it,” Woohyun noted.
 
Hyunmi widened her eyes in surprise, suddenly fearing this unknown plan they had been preparing.
 
“Are you willing to make several sacrifices?” Woohyun asked.
 
Hyunmi nodded with determination. “Life is all about making choices. Sacrifices are bound to be made.”
 
Woohyun had that look of genuine amazement again, which always appeared whenever she showcased her strong desires toward her goal.
 
“Very well,” He said with a small nod. “Have patience, dear princess.”
 
His words always left her weak, and she couldn’t recall when it even started. Perhaps her heart had already reacted to his sweet words ever since their meeting at the balcony. But she found herself unconsciously thinking about him, even as he left her sight.
 
“My youngest daughter,” another voice chimed from the other side.
 
It was clear why Woohyun decided to leave the scene now, for he must’ve seen the king approaching in advance.
 
Her father took Hyunmi in his arms and began to hug her, planting kisses on her cheeks as a formal greeting. But Hyunmi was rendered speechless, staring with curiosity at the unknown stranger standing in between Hoya and Dongwoo.
 
The person’s eyes stared intently at her with such arrogance and coldness, and yet, she was immediately drawn to it, unable to look away. Rather than drowning in his eyes because of the way he melted her like Woohyun would, he had caged her entire being with that one glance. He wore a white colored royal outfit which stood out among the red colored dresses from the Heart citizens. It was clear to see he took pride in his ability to stand out.
 
Despite not being able to memorize people’s faces very well, Hyunmi could never forget such arrogance protruded from one’s eyes. She had seen it before and could only assume the person’s identity.
 
“Hyunmi, I need to formally introduce you to—”
 
The king paused when the unknown stranger held his hand up, possessing enough authority to shut the king’s mouth. He walked to the front, standing tall over Hyunmi. He grabbed her hand in his and kissed it before starting his formal introduction.
 
“My name is Sunggyu, the Prince of Spade,” the man spoke, and his thin lips curved up to resemble a faint cocky smile. “And I am here to court you.”
 
 


Aaahhhhh!!! WooMi makes my heart flutter~ >//////////<
And so, Sunggyu has appeared.