Daughter's Fidelity

Cupid at Heart
“I got them!” Sungyeol yelled as he held a big burlap sack in his hand, nearly bigger than his skinny frame. “I got the coffee beans.”
 
“Perfect,” Hyunmi replied, remaining seated on the pegasus.
 
They headed back to Heart, not knowing what would become of her fate. Sungyeol had been away to retrieve the coffee beans as they obtained the mermaid tears. This would effectively save time. But as seconds passed by, Hyunmi grew more frightened instead.
 
“You should go straight to your kitchen, and I will find Prince Dongwoo. He could help get you to the king without getting noticed,” Sungjong said.
 
“The princess s-sounds like a fugitive.” Sungyeol chuckled. He nearly choked from eating the coffee beans without roasting or even cleaning them first.
 
“She is no different from a fugitive at the moment. The entire kingdom is still searching for her,” Seulyi said, and exhaled deeply. “I am not sure you can survive this, Hyunmi.”
 
The princess flattened her eyes at her friend. “I thank you for your support,” she made a sarcastic remark, which momentarily took her mind away from the real issue. Her heart continued beating tumultuously in panic, her sweat beads rolled off her head, and her body shivered with fear. The words of the mermaids continued ringing in her head, warning her of a future she did not want to meet.
 
As soon as they arrived at the Heart kingdom, they headed straight to the castle, increasing their speed so that no one would see them. The pegasus and chimera landed at the small back entrance that would lead them to the kitchen unofficially belonging to Hyunmi.
 
“Thank you. I am eternally indebted to you,” Hyunmi told the pegasus as she got off. She the animal by its neck, and lightly pecked its muzzle. If this was the end of her, she wanted the pegasus to know how much she appreciated its help.
 
“Chi-Chi, go hide yourself until I require your assistance once more,” Myungsoo said, telling the chimera to avoid attracting unnecessary attention. They headed to the kitchen as Sungjong entered the castle to find Dongwoo.
 
“Lock the doors. We cannot let anyone in and report of our presence,” Hyunmi commanded as soon as they were inside.
 
Sungyeol and Myungsoo found some wooden planks and placed it in front of the door to keep it locked as a barricade. Seulyi had countlessly aided Hyunmi in her brewing process and efficiently got all the tools she needed as Hyunmi started a fire.
 
“How are we going to do this?” Sungyeol asked, setting the bag of coffee bean next to the princess.
 
Hyunmi stood still, watching the fire flicker as the water inside the cauldron began to heat up. After checking her inventory, she knew she had some leftover medela roots and panax, but none seemed to have helped the previous time. A coffee bean seemed to bear the power to liven someone from exhaustion, and the mermaid tear could grant a wish. It should suffice.
 
“Grind those coffee beans. We shall make it into a pill,” Hyunmi instructed. She picked up the wooden mallet for Seulyi to hold, along with some of the coffee beans.
 
Seulyi blankly stared at the beans on top of the counter, wondering what to do with the mallet. She only knew the items Hyunmi needed, bearing no knowledge on each of their function.
 
“I shall do this in your stead. You can watch the door,” Myungsoo took the hammer from Seulyi’s hand, afraid she’d hurt herself.
 
Seulyi blushed and obeyed him, heading to the door connected to the castle. Through the small latch, she kept an eye outside to ensure the coast was clear. This was a much simpler task she was capable of carrying out.
 
With the lads doing labor’s work, the beans were grinded into brown colored powder within minutes. They handed it to Hyunmi to mix with a gooey paste she obtained from kneading the sap of the medela root. She tried a new method using old ingredients, not knowing when to cease trying.
 
They watched Hyunmi shape the mixed paste into a small ball with her hands before dropping it into the boiling water. The cauldron began bubbling viciously, making a noise that heightened their panic. White smoke evaporated from it, clouding their vision.
 
Hyunmi took the jar of mermaid tears and opened its lid. The translucent color made it no different from ordinary potions and condiments, but it was a liquid far more life threatening. Her hands trembled on top of the cauldron, imagining the possible consequence of using the mermaid tears. It was the only solution guaranteed to succeed.
 
After exhaling deeply, she poured the liquid into the cauldron. Her heartbeat quickened in anticipation, awaiting death to greet her at any moment. However, nothing remarkable took place even as seconds went by.
 
They extinguished the fire, waiting for the medicine to cool down. Hyunmi took a small vial shaped like a crystal icicle and poured some of the remaining mermaid tears into it, making sure not to drop anything despite her shaking hand, not knowing when to expect a vision of the mermaids again. She threaded a small string through the vial’s lid, transforming it into a necklace for herself. Perhaps she may need it in the future.
 
As they scooped out the rounded ball shaped medicine using a ladle, a knock against the door surprised them all. Seulyi immediately stole a peek through the small latch, gasping in relief to see Dongwoo and Sungjong’s arrival.
 
“Sister, you have returned!” Dongwoo exclaimed when the door was opened, embracing his sister who was equally overjoyed to see him.
 
“My final task is to cure father’s sickness,” Hyunmi told him abruptly, smiling at the absurdity of it.
 
He paled in response, knowing the difficulty to attain a successful result. Nearly the entire kingdom was aware of the princess’ attempts, knowing how many times she hadn’t succeeded. But one couldn’t let past records determine the success of one’s future. “How can I help you?” He asked instead, showing endless supports in her trial and errors.
 
“I need you to take me to father without being seen,” Hyunmi said, knowing she could depend on him. “Would that be possible?”
 
Dongwoo smirked, holding up a long black cloth in his hand. “I have prepared for such an occasion,” he proved his amazing wit to read the situation.
 
With the medicinal pills stored in her pocket, Hyunmi disguised herself behind the black cloak. Even her face remained hidden within the shades of the oversized hoodie. Such robes weren’t suspicious considering it to be the daily attire of high priests and judges. No one questioned her even once as she trailed behind Dongwoo, heading to her father’s room.
 
“The king is resting,” the guard assigned for the king’s room spoke, holding his hands up to deny access. “We cannot allow entrance to anyone.”
 
“I am his son, the Prince of Heart. If you do not allow me through, my first command as a new king will be to behead you,” Dongwoo said ruthlessly.
 
Hyunmi widened her eyes in surprise. This was not the sweet and loving brother she had known. He was much more daring as the situation required of him. A part of her admired him even more.
 
“A-Apologies, Your Highness,” the guard spoke, belittling himself after the threat. He bowed down like an obedient puppy, letting the two siblings enter the king’s room.
 
Hyunmi immediately pulled down the hoodie from her head, watching her father lie motionless in bed. His face had grown older, was filled with more wrinkles, and was marked with extreme exhaustion. His eyebags were darker and puffier than before. Even his skin seemed to have rotten ever since the public trial she last saw him at.
 
“Father!” She called out, kneeling down beside his bedside. She wrapped her arms around him, completely lost at the sight of his weakened state.. Though they may have had a fallout, nothing could defeat the bond of a family. This was storge love.
 
The king resembled a commoner in his current state. He barely managed to open his eyes, faintly following the voice of his beloved youngest daughter.
 
“Hyunmi? Is that you?” He asked, trying to lift his hand from the bed. Every syllable was spoken in a raspy breath, requiring more effort to enunciate the sounds.
 
“Yes, yes, it is I, father,” Hyunmi said, quickly supporting him from the back with Dongwoo’s help. Tears dwelled in her eyes when she realized how skinny his fingers were. He had gotten thinner since she last saw him, and his body temperature felt abnormally cold.
 
“I apologize… For forcing you… Into marriage,” he spoke, coughing in between. “I should have given you… freedom.”
 
“No, father. I am the one who should apologize for my selfishness. If I had never fallen in love, this never would’ve happened. Forgive me for being a devious child,” Hyunmi cried out, holding unto his hand tightly. Her vision was blurred by a cloudy curtain of tears.
 
“Do not say that,” he breathed and closed his eyes towards the ceiling. “Love is a beautiful feeling. I am glad… you have experienced it.”
 
Hyunmi blinked her eyes, rubbing the tears away with the sleeve of her dress. Was he showing his support for her choice?
 
“Woohyun seems… like a nice lad,” he continued speaking, exhaling deeply with an odd tremble in his breathing. “I wished I had the chance… to get to know your future husband.”
 
Hyunmi widened her eyes, feeling herself hyperventilating from his words. He was uttering a farewell speech, as if he had completely given up on fighting for his life. She panicked, but refused to let him die. She would willingly trade lives on his deathbed.
 
“It isn’t the end, father. This will heal you,” Hyunmi spoke with blind faith. She took the pill stored in the pocket of her dress and slipped it into his mouth. She took the glass of water from his nightstand and helped him swallow down the pill.
 
Hyunmi expected another vision, for the mermaids to appear to collect her soul. However, seconds passed and she remained in the king’s chamber. Instead of her life, it was the king who uncontrollably began gasping for air, sounding like he was being choked by an invisible force.
 
“Father!” Both siblings yelled, trying whatever they could to save him. Dongwoo massaged his back as Hyunmi crumbled into prayer.
 
She could only pray for a miracle to save. At this moment, she willingly begged for her life to be taken in turn for her father’s complete recovery. She was ready to meet death even without completing the final task. This was her final act of a daughter's fidelity.
 
“Hyunmi, you have to see this,” Dongwoo suddenly said, nudging her by the arm.
 
The princess looked up, noticing an odd sight unfolding before her. Every time her father coughed, his back straightened more, and a healthy color reappeared on his skin. The wrinkles smoothed itself into non existence. The more he coughed, the younger he turned, like the pest of sickness was thrown away from his body. He had never looked as healthy and young before.
 
“Father, how are you feeling?” Hyunmi asked, tightly holding his hand in her grip. They were no longer of skinny bones, and she was relieved to feel the plump flesh of a healthy man. Her father was cured. The mermaid tears worked, and she was still alive.
 
“How? How is this possible?” The king asked, admiring the freshness of his body. He clasped and unclasped his fingers, testing his new strength. Whatever pill he had been given, it worked like magic.
 
“Do you really wish to know?” Hyunmi asked, her face wet by the tears trailing down her cheek. She wondered how much of this moment she was allowed to indulge in. The mermaids wanted her life, this couldn’t possibly be the end of their threat. The crystal vial still hung around her neck, containing the mermaid tear that symbolized both a potion and poison to her.
 
“Please, enlighten me,” the king spoke, chuckling heartily at the magical experience.
 
Hyunmi hadn’t seen her father smile so brightly ever since the news of her engagement to Prince Sunggyu. Seeing the happiness on his face made her momentarily forget all her worries. She sat down on the bed with Dongwoo on the opposing side, and told the entire story about Aphrodite’s three task. The other two listened intently, enjoying her animated gestures like she was putting up a theatrical show.
 
“And thus, I have to complete my final task and return to the Underworld next,” Hyunmi concluded her entire tale.
 
The king and Dongwoo stared at her with jaws wide open, unable to believe a magical realm existed within their own, like two parallel universes overlapping one another. Her tale was so whimsical, one couldn’t help but wish for a happy ending.
 
“Oh, my dearest princess,” the king spoke, stretching his arms open to welcome her in a mighty embrace. “I apologize for my stubbornness. Your happiness is of utmost important, I realize that now. I wish I could assist you in retrieving him.”
 
“Do not worry, father. I have completed the tasks. Woohyun shall return shortly,” Hyunmi said confidently. She squeezed his hand tightly before releasing him. She embraced both her father and brother in turn.
 
“The next time I see you, I hope you shall stay here for good with Woohyun,” Dongwoo said, ruffling her hair affectionately. He had every reason to believe in her, knowing she would persist even if the entire world turned against her.
 
Hyunmi nodded, wearing the hoodie back over her head. “Please stay safe. Take care of father,” she said, exiting the king’s room.
 
She did not say a word to anyone, making sure no one would talk to her as she returned to the kitchen. The others awaited her return, their grief turning to joy once she appeared at the door.
 
“We thought you died!” Seulyi was the first one to greet her, embracing her friend.
 
“Only you did. I always knew she would make it,” Sungjong said, rolling his eyes. He then turned to the princess with a playful smirk, knowing she had succeeded. “We still have a mission to complete.”
 
“Indeed,” Hyunmi said, letting go of Seulyi to face everyone else, her precious friends. “I shall need your help one last time.”
 
“We are ready at your service, princess,” Myungsoo said, bowing down to her. “We shall go where you want us to go.”
 
A smile took over her face. It won’t be long before the lover’s would reunite.
 



This was the best I could come up with. I hope it didn't feel too rushed >.<