Soul's Journey

Cupid at Heart
The Princess of Diamond kept her promise and handed the caduceus as soon as they arrived at her kingdom.
 
“The magical water truly granted my wish. I can’t show enough gratitude to you for helping me,” Princess Biah spoke. Hoya was standing next to her wearing the guard uniform of Diamond. Considering the trial, the king wouldn’t welcome him back as the knave of Heart.
 
“The magical water? Are you perhaps referring to the Well of the Mermaids?” Hyunmi asked, remembering the place where Hoya and Biah had first met.
 
“Is that what it is called? How romantic. I have always called it the magical well for it grants wishes,” Biah chuckled lightly to herself. Her movements were truly elegant, even when she settled her hand on top of Hoya who stiffened immediately.
 
“It was lovely to see you Princess Biah, but we need to bid our farewell,” Hyunmi then spoke, twirling her hand to bow down as a gentleman would. She glanced at Hoya, seeing a rare smile of pure bliss on his face. She was certain that love was worth fighting for.
 
They didn’t stay to watch Sir Hoya get introduced to the King and Queen of Diamond. Their main priority was to head towards Clover Kingdom where the next mission awaited them.
 
It was apparent that Apollo was its main deity. The kingdom was celebrating a different festivity every day, and colorful slingers and confettis were thrown around in the middle of the street. The people were singing, dancing, and drinking joyfully without a care for the world. It resembled the same madness as the hatter’s lair, but they were drunk on wine and not tea.
 
They visited the King and Queen of Spade, known as King Minhyuk and Queen Mira. They were around Hyunmi’s age, but successfully married each other a year ago. Unlike the other three kingdoms, Clover lived in the moment and did as they pleased. Prince Minhyuk had the freedom to choose his lover, and he selected a humble physician the entire kingdom was fond of. Since then, they have ruled alongside the god of celebration.
 
“What an honor it is to have the Princess of Heart visit us. I heard all about your engagement to the Prince of Spade,” Minhyuk spoke, chuckling to himself. He looked so young, perhaps even younger than the princess. “I can only predict a bad outcome if it were to proceed. You made a wise decision canceling it.”
 
Mira softly nudged his arms, reminding him to keep his words filtered in front of a guest. “I apologize on my husband’s behalf, he means no ill intention. We both support your decision.”
 
“Worry not, Your Majesty, I have taken no offense to his speech for it is the truth,” Hyunmi replied, slightly bowing her head. “Instead, I have come here for a favor to ask.”
 
“Would you like to throw a party to commemorate the broken engagement?” Minhyuk asked, to which Mira nudged his arm again.
 
“I very much adore this king. He has the same interests as I do,” Myungsoo uttered quietly, his eyes b with fascination. In a sense, they were equally mad.
 
“Perhaps he’d let us join one of his tea parties one day,” Seulyi muttered to him, deliberately showing her newfound interest. She had gotten more curious in festivities ever since meeting Myungsoo, so it wasn’t a lie.
 
Hyunmi’s lips settled into a diplomatic smile, ignoring her friend’s nonsensical mumblings. “I hear you are in possession of Persephone’s Box and wonder if there is any way for me to have it,” she said.
 
The look on Minhyuk and Mira’s face showed their sudden surprise at her request. It was hard to decipher the meaning of their darkened expression.
 
“If you are talking about Queen Persephone of the underworld, we no longer possess it. That gift was nothing but trouble, and we returned it,” Mira spoke, suddenly frowning with building anger.
 
Minhyuk nodded along. “If you wish to find it, you should go to the Underworld and visit Hades and Persephone yourself,” he spoke.
 
“Go to the Underworld? But only the death are allowed entrance,” Hyunmi said, horrified at the suggestion. How could she meet Hades and Persephone without dying? The god of the Underworld never met up with the living.
 
“I do not have answers for that. You should inquire Apollo for assistance. He must be at the temple around this hour,” Minhyuk spoke.
 
“Isn’t he at the temple all year long?” Sungjong questioned, scoffing to himself at the logic.
 
“Sometimes he moves around the kingdom to enjoy our festivals,” Minhyuk said, smiling at them. “I invite you to take part someday.”
 
Hyunmi thanked the royal pair, feeling a little envious of them. They were so perfect for each other, and even as a betrothed, their affections were clear to the beholder. It redefined the type of relationship she wished to have with Woohyun.
 
While deep in thoughts, she hadn’t realized their arrival at the temple of Apollo. Only when a boisterous sound called out for her did Hyunmi regain her sense of reality. She had barely taken in the sight of colorful lanterns and couples dancing when an old man squished her against his chest. She could barely breathe, smelling the rich aroma of wine stemming from him.
 
“How lovely you are, dear child. Your third task is to visit the Underworld, yes?” He spoke deliriously, sounding half drunk and half dazed.
 
Hyunmi squinted her eyes at him, guessing his identity. He had a shiny glow like Zeus, Hermes, and Aphrodite did. He wore a long white toga similar to the other deities. “Apollo?”
 
“Yes! That is my name.”
 
Unbelievable. The god was out with the mortals, dancing and celebrating right in front of his own temple. Was he worshipping himself? The sight was enchanting to behold, and it made her smile.
 
“Apollo, is there a way for us to visit the Underworld? We would rather not give up on our life,” Myungsoo spoke, knowing the princess’ greatest worries.
 
“Certainly! I am pleased that it is finally my turn to aid the princess. Cupid can barely wait to see you,” Apollo spoke, laughing heartily in a way his belly seemed to dance along.
 
Everytime these gods revealed more about Woohyun, Hyunmi felt her hopes growing. Being away from him suffocated her. She was desperate for his presence.
 
“If he wishes to see her, why won’t he come down to visit her?” Sungjong asked, narrowing his eyes at the god.
 
“A very good question, cat,” Apollo said, which made Sungjong hiss. He hated to be referred to as a cat, unless it would benefit him. “You see, the moment the princess struck a deal with Aphrodite, no one is allowed to interfere. Cupid, who is a subject to the agreement, is not allowed to meet the princess until she has completed all tasks.”
 
“Are there rules for it? Would he die if he did?” Seulyi questioned curiously.
 
“He is already suffering from the princess’ earlier betrayal. That is a much greater pain than death itself,” Apollo spoke, proving every god’s knowledge on the entire situation. Cupid and his lover were like an open book.
 
“You had a way for us to enter the Underworld?” Hyunmi asked, remembering Apollo’s earlier words.
 
“Yes,” Apollo said, holding a small vial in one hand, and two copper coins known as an obol in his other. “You should thank Cupid for obtaining this. It isn’t easy to obtain. I suspect him of stealing it.”
 
The others gasped, never taking cupid for a thief. But for the sake of their three tasks, they pardoned him.
 
“This potion allows your soul to be transported to the Underworld. You shall appear as a wandering soul to Charon the gatekeeper, granting you access to see Hades and Persephone.”
 
“Charon, the gatekeeper?” Myungsoo repeated, having heard about him. He was the man who brought dead souls across the river Styx to visit Hades.
 
“There is, however, another condition,” Apollo added.
 
The rest stared at him, muting the sound of festive cheers and music in the background. His dreamy expression became grim and serious as he turned to the princess. “The potion can only be consumed by one mortal.”
 
“One? Are you to say we cannot go with her?” Myungsoo asked, completely baffled and taken aback.
 
“The entrance of one living mortal trespasses the order of the living and death. We cannot create a higher risk by adding multiple people,” Apollo explained. He then turned to Hyunmi and handed her the vial. “You shall embark the journey alone.”
 
Fear rushed over the princess, realizing her friends couldn’t accompany her the way they had for these past few days. She looked at the two items in her hand, pondering what to do with it.
 
“W-what would happen after she consumes the potion?” Sungyeol interrupted her thoughts.
 
“To us, she shall appear lifeless. The princess’ soul will be free to move, and the gates to the Underworld shall be opened. You will meet Charon who shall transport you as long as you have the ability to pay him.”
 
“How will a dead soul be able to pay?” Seulyi asked, completely outraged.
 
Apollo did not say a thing, only holding the two obols in his hand. “Cupid truly thought of everything to ensure your victory. You need to put these in your mouth in order to carry it to the Underworld.”
 
Hyunmi took the copper coins from his hands, studying it momentarily. It looked old and dirty, and reeked with the stench of dirt and diffused blood. How was she to put that in ? The idea repulsed her. Oh, the things she would sacrifice for love.
 
“We can’t help you from here on out, but we believe in your ability to complete your final task. Woohyun is waiting for you,” Seulyi encouraged her friend. She embraced her briefly and let go, trying her best to remain confident.
 
“It would take more than the Underworld to kill you. No farewells from me. I know you shall return,” Sungjong said casually. He may seem heartless, but she knew he truly cared for her in his own manner.
 
“Cupid won’t stand still if a-anything happened t-to you,” Sungyeol said, grinning at the princess.
 
Myungsoo patted her on her shoulder, feeling her anxiety translate to him through her tremblings. “Do not worry, Your Highness. You shan’t die when your battles are left incomplete.”
 
The princess nodded, muttering a small gratitude for their supportive words. She turned to Apollo who motioned her to drink the potion. With quivering fingers, she opened the cap of the odorless potion. It was from Woohyun, and therefore had to be safe. With her eyes shut, she swallowed the drink in several gulps, and quickly placed the two obols in .
 
A ringing pain stung her head, increasing in size to the point it had overpowered her entire body from functioning properly. It made her dizzy and weak, a sudden exhaustion clouding over her. Her heart continued beating faster and faster to the point it might stop. Her vision out.
 
“Hyunmi!” Seulyi was the first to scream, quickly catching her friend from falling against the ground. Sungjong aided her in his human form as they gently carried the princess to a bench for her to lie on.
 
Myungsoo took her wrist in his hand and hummed to himself. “I no longer feel a pulse.”
 
“That must be poison!” Seulyi realized, turning to Apollo with her teeth gnashed together. She did not take into account their status differences and pointed an accusing finger at him. “You tricked us. You killed her!”
 
“That potion is from Cupid himself. You cannot truly believe he would kill his own lover?” Apollo said calmly, unaffected by her hysteric cries. The mortals weren’t as exposed to magic as the deities were. They needed to have more faith.
 
As Seulyi cried harder and Myungsoo tried to console her, Hyunmi witnessed everything from behind them. It was odd, she could hear them, but her voice would never reach them. Her physical body lied in front of her, looking serene even in death.
 
Her hand went through the others like a trail of smoke. The princess was no longer tangible to the living world and had entered the world of the death.
 
Suddenly, a portal appeared in front of her in the form of a suppressed black hole. It filled itself with negative energy darker than the hollowness of oblivion. Hyunmi feared what was to come, yet felt a strange magnetic pull towards it. She couldn’t run away, as if something or someone was calling out to her soul. Her feet started moving before she could articulate a logical explanation, carrying her entire body deeper and deeper through the portal.
 
Darkness invaded her vision, clearing like smoke dissipating into thin air to reveal a dark and mysterious setting. The atmosphere emphasized the freezing air around her, and the feeling of loneliness constricting her.
 
She turned around to search for the portal, realizing it had long gone. She was all alone in the dark, watching the green undertone in the grim atmosphere. A river surrounded the small land she stood on, icky green in color, smelling like decayed corpses. Upon a closer inspection, she spotted thousands of dead souls trapped in the flowing stream, making up the lake of death itself.
 
She had arrived in the Underworld.