Godly Appointment

Cupid at Heart
The Spade kingdom embraced itself in its masculine qualities. The buildings were monogamous in color, and geometric in shape. Everything here was built with immense precision, not allowing any space for error. The warmth of friendliness was lacking, replaced by the isolation of utmost perfection. Instead of flowery decoration, the walls were embellished with dark green moss, giving it a sharp, cold look.
 
It was here when they met up with Prince Sunggyu, much to the princess’ dismay.
 
“Ah, my heart is pleased by your visit. Though I understand your impeccable longing for me, could you not have waited until we have wedded as husband and wife?” Sunggyu welcomed them, directing his question to his supposed fiancee. In their time apart, he had not changed the slightest. The arrogance continued gracing his face, and the confident smirk plastered itself in place.
 
Hyunmi wrapped her hands into balls, suppressing a kind smile on her face to maintain her poised behavior. “I assure you that ain’t the reason for our visit,” she told him sharply.
 
Sunggyu did not waver from her rejection, instead angling his face to look down at the people she had come with. “If you weren’t to be my queen, I would not have permitted their lowly presence in front of a mighty person such as myself. I beckon you to tell me your reason.”
 
“Quite a character you are, Prince of Spade. A man’s humbleness defines his richness in life, which I see you have plenty of,” Myungsoo interrupted, masking the sarcasm in his voice behind a benevolent smile. Clearly he did not appreciate the prince’s arrogance, and chose his false flatteries as a weapon to fight back.
 
“I am surprised by your ability to understand such a fact despite our gap in intelligence,” Sunggyu spoke, not intending to be insulting, yet every word from his mouth became harmful. He turned to Hyunmi with new impatience. “Now, tell me the reason of your visit.”
 
“I am in search for a special item that could cure a certain problem. I am informed that the Spade kingdom is in possession of the said item,” Hyunmi began, keeping her tone friendly. She had thought of a legit argument to support her task.
 
Sunggyu raised his eyebrows with interest. “We are in no possession of such a medicine.”
 
“It isn’t a medicine,” Hyunmi corrected him, lifting the corner of her lips. “It’s the Golden Apple of Discord.”
 
The frown sank on Sunggyu’s face, visually unveiling his possession of the item. He knew there was no use in trying to hide it anymore. The arrogance on his face morphed into slight annoyance instead. “For whatever reason would you need such an item?”
 
“Are you aware of our king’s condition? As your future father in law, I would’ve assumed you knew about his health.” It was Sungjong who spoke in his human form. He grinned in such a way that implied malicious intentions to guilt trip the prince into surrender.
 
Hyunmi maintained the calmness on her face, though she disagreed with Sungjong’s method. The Golden Apple of Discord was not going to save her father in any way. This was a lie.
 
Sunggyu did not look amused, squinting his eyes to the cat human. He did not hide his disgust toward Sungjong’s species, nor did he feel any condemnation. He scoffed, instead.
 
“My knowledge regarding the condition of His Majesty’s health does not justify having to give up my possessions,” he spoke, stating a good point they could not argue against. “There is, however, an alternative solution to your request.”
 
“What is it?” Hyunmi asked, her eyes b with eagerness.
 
“Once we are married, we shall become one. What is mine is yours as well,” Sunggyu proposed, smiling slyly as if he had her checkmated.
 
“What a remarkable husband you shall be,” Myungsoo uttered, quickly holding Seulyi’s arm to stop her from bursting out a bunch of profanities. She was an open book who showcased all of her foul emotions. Right now, they had to cool their head against their opponent if they do not wish to get beheaded at Spade.
 
“Only then will I hand the Golden Apple of Discord to you,” Sunggyu continued, a glint of satisfaction in his eyes when the princess was rendered speechless. She had no way to defy him and would go along with the wedding.
 
Hyunmi could not show the falter in her confidence, or the loss in her crumbling hope. For a second she may have shown her disturbance from his offer, but her poised smile returned soon afterwards. “I respect your decision, Prince Sunggyu. However, I can’t fully agree to your terms and conditions.”
 
The prince coldly raised his eyebrows, though he was not entirely surprised. “What a shame, Hyunmi. Perhaps you shall come to understand my perfection, someday. Beside, your father told me your consent plays no crucial role in our marriage. We shall be wed regardless.”
 
As much as she despised it, Hyunmi knew she could not fight him. Rather than making a fool out of herself, a good warrior knew when a battle should be avoided. So she politely excused herself from Sunggyu’s presence, refusing to stay the night. She could not withstand another second of his mad arrogance.
 
“I suggest us to go steal the apple when he’s sleeping. We can sneak in, can’t we?” Seulyi proposed when they walked outside.
 
“The guards look fragile,” Sungyeol agreed, hopping each of his steps with excitement.
 
“They are guards for a reason,” Sungjong corrected them, rolling his eyes at their shallow mindset. It wouldn’t be that easy to steal an item from a powerful kingdom. Their guards were the most well trained among the four kingdoms judging on their synchronized steps and intensive training sessions. “We can’t defeat them based on strength.”
 
“What else can we do? We can’t possibly agree to this marriage,” Seulyi spoke, the one who was most aggravated of them all. Her body trembled a little with her building anger, ready to erupt like a flaming volcano.
 
It was Myungsoo who lightly tapped his hand on her shoulder to calm her down again. “While we’re in this kingdom, we may use this opportunity to explore the place,” he suggested, smiling confidently at the rest.
 
Hyunmi blinked her eyes. For one split second, she caught that glint in his eyes signaling his furtive knowledge. Perhaps he did. Woohyun always went to the hatter for help. She believed he had the way out. Her frown turned into an optimistic smile.
 
“Where should we head to?”
 
Myungsoo deepened the smirk on his lips, knowing she understood. “I am pleased you asked, Your Highness. There is a certain place I have always wanted to visit.”
 
When they followed Myungsoo, they didn’t expect him to head towards the temple of worship. The place was more crowded at the front as people offered up burnt sacrifices and fruits. The scenery resembled an orchestrated order where everything was perfectly woven into their daily routine. It was too static.
 
“This is the temple of Zeus,” Myungsoo welcomed them as he walked beyond the guards to enter the inner chambers of worship. With Hyunmi’s status as the princess and Prince Sunggyu’s soon to be wife, they gained access with ease.
 
“Have you been here before?” Seulyi asked, admiring the pillars and multiple human sized statues of Zeus. The architect was clean and white, creating a perfect illusion of eeriness.
 
“Not at all, Miss Nightgown. There is a first time for everything. I have always been fond of the great god himself,” Myungsoo spoke, prancing his way through the empty corridor as if he was waltzing down the marbled floor. With airy steps, he landed in front of a giant statue of Zeus sitting in his throne at Olympus. “Oh Zeus? Won’t you reveal yourself to us?”
 
They had their skepticism over his inept method, despite being successful back at Aphrodite’s temple. They let the silence carry on, until a loud boisterous coughing sounded from behind. In synchronized steps, they turned around to meet the king of all gods, Zeus. He was truly majestic, wearing a white toga around his expanded and buff body. His dark golden brown locks curled up to his neck, glowing in front of mere mortals. He was majestic in any way he could be.
 
“I have been expecting you,” the god roared, his voice blaring like a thunderstorm, but oddly welcoming to the point none was struck with intimidation.
 
“I was not aware we’d be high profiled guests on your list, dear Zeus,” Myungsoo spoke, trying to acquaint himself to the god. He wanted to lightly pat the god, but Zeus’ skin glowed in a way that made him retract his intention.
 
“The gods are speaking of a common topic nowadays. Cupid’s lover has quite stirred up the attention up there,” Zeus said, his eyes travelling to the princess. He admired her beauty for a moment, then softened to a fatherly smile. “You must be her, the mortal who captured a god’s heart. Not just any god, but the god of love and desire himself.”
 
Hyunmi hesitated a little, blinking her eyes in a moment of confusion. Her heart was ecstatic at her recognition as cupid’s lover, and she wondered whether he could help her see Woohyun again.
 
“You speak so highly of me, Zeus. I am humbled. I do not deserve such praises,” Hyunmi said, curtsying in front of the god as she tilted the fabric of her red dress.
 
“A true beauty you are indeed. But to earn cupid’s affection, I am certain you have enchanted him beyond the beauty you posses. He is love sick because of you.”
 
Hyunmi’s eyes sprung open. Zeus was aware of Woohyun’s sickness—all the gods probably were. It cracked the calm demeanor she tried to uphold, and she showed her true worries instead.
 
“Have you seen him? Is he alright? Would you allow me to meet him?”
 
Seeing the sudden change in her attitude surprised Zeus, but amused him with good cheer. “I am aware Aphrodite has tasked you with three tasks. When a deity draws a contract with a mortal, others are not allowed to interrupt it.”
 
“Not even the god of gods?” Sungjong asked, gasping scandalously. He tried provoking the god, but such tricks had no effect on a deity.
 
“Aphrodite developed a grudge against you because of the beauty you were born with. Our interference may interrupt her attempt to calm herself down,” Zeus spoke, chuckling to himself at the image of a jealous Aphrodite.
 
“So she had been a jealous goddess since the beginning,” Seulyi mumbled under her breath.
 
“You are correct. It is for this reason she fell into discord with Athena and Hera to own possession of the Golden Apple, hence the name,” Zeus explained. “The apple was to be awarded to the most beautiful goddess of all, and after using methods of treachery, Aphrodite obtained it.”
 
It reminded the princess of another alternative solution. “I do not mean to be rude, but it would truly please my heart if you could aid me in my quest to obtain the Golden Apple of Discord.”
 
Again, it triggered a hearty laughter from the god. His shoulders bounced up and down with every breath. “Dear princess, the apple is no longer in my possession. It is with Prince Sunggyu. Being able to obtain it is one of the puzzles you have to solve in order to complete Aphrodite’s first task.”
 
“What authority do you have as the almighty king of gods?” Sungjong continued his provocations, letting his purple tail dance behind him in slow, hypnotizing movements.
 
“Though I may not be able to directly aid you, I am allowed to support you,” Zeus said, unfazed by his mental attacks.
 
“What difference does it make?” Seulyi spoke bluntly, not remembering her own position as a servant by challenging a god.
 
Zeus stretched his arm out in front of the princess, unclasping his large fingers to unveil a small brooch made of the finest silver, shaped like a tiny ow. The piece of jewelry bore an ethereal quality and magical powers one couldn’t find in this world.
 
“This is Athena’s brooch of Wisdom. Cupid has personally acquired it from the goddess herself, asking me to hand it to you,” he said.
 
Hyunmi gasped for air, forgetting how to breath when she heard his words. Woohyun went through the trouble to obtain this brooch despite his weak and pained state. She couldn’t imagine how much he had to sacrifice in order to help her. She truly believed he wanted to see her as much as she wanted to see him. Perhaps he had forgiven her.
 
“Use it well, Princess Hyunmi. The battle has only begun,” Zeus spoke, displaying a fatherly smile again when she took the item in her hand. He said nothing afterwards, only nodding his head at them, before he disappeared into smoke and vanished in thin air.
 
“H-how is that going to help us?” Sungyeol asked, looking at the owl shaped brooch in the princess’ hand. His dose of coffee was running out, and all energy seemed to have been retracted from him.
 
“It is a Brooch of Wisdom. I heard it will bless infinite knowledge to the person wielding it,” Myungsoo explained, staring curiously at the princess.
 
“Do you feel any different?” Seulyi asked, staring at her friend with similar curiosity and concern. Her eyes flicked to the brooch several times, ensuring it was safe as Hyunmi pricked it into the hem of her dress.
 
“Not at all,” Hyunmi answered, dropping her hand by her side to show the brooch proudly sitting on the edge of her V shaped cut dress.
 
No, she did not feel any major difference, other than a sudden determination to win. It went beyond the limits of determination, creating unfathomable faith instead. There was great confidence stirring within her, knowing she could reign victorious. There was a solution to Sunggyu’s request, quite an easy one which she had overlooked this entire time.
 
“But of course,” she suddenly exclaimed, surprising the others who had not been aware of such changes taking place within her. But when they saw her lips twisting into a reliant smile, they suspected the Brooch of Wisdom doing its work.
 
"Myungoo, there is an item I would like you to obtain," she said, smiling at the unfolding idea. “I know how to obtain the Golden Apple of Discord.”
 


Who missed cocky Sunggyu? Writing his character is always such a pleasure~
Anyway, I have officially finished writing the rest of Cupid at Heart, so expect very quick updates.
Thank you all for reading and commenting <3