Princess' Persistence

Cupid at Heart
Perhaps she had been wrong. Perhaps he would return again someday. But when the night appeared, Woohyun had completely disappeared. There was no melodious sound from a tiple, no scent of fresh roses filling her surrounding, no words of endearing flatteries being spoken. He was gone.
 
Hyunmi laid on her bed, crouching and nearly wrapping her arms around her knees. For several nights in a row, her tears continued staining her bed. It had only been a few days ago when he had been here with her, nestled in each other’s arms. The scent of roses still lingered on her pillow, but it was faint and on the verge of disappearing. It was the last sort of tangible memory she had of him, though she couldn’t hold on to it. She was afraid losing it meant she had lost him forever.
 
What had she done?
 
The next day, she fell down at her father’s feet, pleading for forgiveness. She had meant to retract her ill-mannered speech since the first day, and no longer saw a reason to delay it. After she became a subject to his mercy, the princess asked to be freed from the prison chamber.
 
“Will you accept Prince Sunggyu’s hand into marriage? We have already set a date five day from today,” the king spoke, his voice deprived of any humor.
 
Hyunmi blinked her eyes, the tears staining her long eyelashes. “Father, I may have withdrawn my unmannered words from that day, but my affections towards Woohyun stands firm. I love him.”
 
Her voice bore a new confidence she hadn’t felt before. Prior to this moment, she had been engulfed in a pool of hesitation and embarrassment, unable to convey her feelings to the one it was meant for. She never told Woohyun she loved him, and only accepted his love in return. She had been so selfish.
 
“Until you change your mind, I will not let you out of here. The wedding is in five days. You will marry the prince either with or without your consent,” the king spoke coldly, completely disregarding her confession.
 
“Father, no! I have to get out. I have to find Woohyun and apologize,” Hyunmi said, flinging herself to her father’s arm. She held on with so much strength, unwilling to let go until she was released. But her father showed his ignorance when he swung away from her grip, leaving her on the floor as she fell. He walked out of the chamber, leaving her in the high tower prison by herself.
 
It was all her fault. Perhaps Woohyun would have been better off without her, but her longing for him didn’t succumb into such possibilities. Even if she caused him unbearable pain, she wanted to be selfish once more and continue to love him.
 
But how could she possible do so when she was locked up, only regaining freedom when she would become someone else’s wife?
 
“Hyunmi, cheer up.”
 
The princess tilted her head, wondering why she heard Seulyi’s voice when she had been alone in the room.
 
“Over here, princess.”
 
This time it was Myungsoo’s voice, and Hyunmi stared at the door to see if anyone had entered. She heard the faint sound of chuckles, and pivoted her entire body to follow the source to it. Through her window, she spotted Myungsoo and Seulyi midair, riding on none other than the chimera.
 
“What are you two doing here?” She asked, completely puzzled. Yet, the sight of the two together did put a smile to her lips.
 
“We have come to your rescue. Surely we wouldn’t stand by and watch you get married to the prince while Woohyun is suffering,” Myungsoo said, a twist of malice in his voice. Perhaps he was trying to guilt trip her, and it worked.
 
“Is he suffering?” Hyunmi felt a stab against her chest. “Do you know where he is?”
 
“I may not know his exact whereabouts, but I know someone who might possess such knowledge. Come with us, and I shall lead you there,” Myungsoo spoke, guiding his hand to the empty space behind Seulyi. Chi-Chi was bigger than she had remembered, able to carry five people on her back made up of a lion’s body.
 
“But my father…” Hyunmi trailed off, not knowing what to do. Her logic told her to be a filial daughter and stay in her prison chamber, but her heart could only think of Woohyun.
 
“He is going to force you to marry a man you don’t love. You won’t be able to escape if you don’t run now,” Seulyi said, arguing a very good point. She reached her hand out, waiting for the princess to make a decision.
 
Staying in the chamber decayed her like a red rose losing its petals over time. Despite her father’s sickness, she couldn’t surrender to a future of bleakness. Perhaps, she could find a cure if she managed to find Woohyun.
 
With new confidence, she grabbed Seulyi’s hand, carefully leaped on top of the chimera and sat down. The creature was surprisingly tame today.
 
“It seems you posses the power to create havoc, princess,” Myungsoo began speaking as the chimera darted off into the sky, leaving behind the princess’ barren prison cell.
 
Hyunmi kept silent, unwilling to argue back, for she found truth in his statement.
 
“Had I known you planned on consuming the antidote yourself, I never would’ve handed it over,” Myungsoo spoke, chuckling bitterly to himself. His tone indicated a greater knowledge in his possession.
 
“How so?” The princess asked.
 
“Because Cupid’s magic doesn’t work on himself,” Myungsoo answered, elongating the silence to let reality sink in to her. “He could use his power to make you fall in love with anyone—anyone but himself. For the same reason, he is unable to fall for you using godly tricks.”
 
Hyunmi blinked her eyes, keeping her silence. She perfectly comprehended the hatter’s words, but was too afraid of the guilt following her if his words rang true.
 
“You two genuinely loved each other.”
 
And yet, she had successfully chased him away, hurting the one man who had ever loved her for who she was within, and not for her outer appearance alone.
 
“I couldn’t stand seeing you like this, Hyunmi. So I asked Myungsoo for help. He knows someone who can help us,” Seulyi explained.
 
“Who is it?” Hyunmi asked curiously.
 
Myungsoo remained quiet, instead steering Chi-Chi closer to the heart of town. The creature landed on solid ground, high enough not to draw any attention from the citizens. But true shock was found within Hyunmi when she realized the familiar setting.
 
Aphrodite’s temple.
 
She followed Myungsoo and Seulyi inside, staring at her surrounding for clues of Woohyun’s whereabouts. But as she reached the front of Aphrodite’s grandiose statue, she found none.
 
“This place is amazing, but intimidating,” Seulyi said bluntly, wanting to indulge in the marvelous design, yet having to stay alert at all times.
 
“Do you suppose the goddess knows where Woohyun is?” Hyunmi asked, turning to Myungsoo eagerly. He had been gone for a few days, and she never knew she was capable of missing him to the point of losing sanity.
 
“Aphrodite is Cupid’s mother, after all. If anyone should have a clue, it would be her,” Myungsoo said, twirling around the place in hasty movements. He stepped forward to the statue, and knocked against it four times. “Oh ma’am, you have a visitor.”
 
Similar to her previous experience, the ground trembled like the earth was going to swallow itself. Dust fell from the ceiling of the architecture, creating a rainfall of grain and dirt. It accumulated into a thick cloud of dust, making the others cough heavily from the smell itching her nostrils. Myungsoo went to Seulyi, covering her nose before it could reach ber.
 
Then, in front of the trio, the goddess of love appeared in all her glory.
 
Aphrodite was as beautiful as before, her beauty transcending the decay of time. Her golden hair extruded such elegance and holiness at the same time. Before, she radiated with a certain beauty that could only be attained through one’s friendliness, but today, she stared down at the three intruders with icy arrogance.
 
“Excuse me for awaking you from your beauty sleep,” Myungsoo began, taking off his top hat and bowed courteously at her, “But we wanted to inquire you of Woohyun’s whereabouts.”
 
The goddess’ eyes shifted to him, then returned to Hyunmi with a hardened gaze. She was nothing like the warm and friendly goddess Woohyun had introduced her as. Suddenly Sungjong’s words rang in her mind, reminding her of a supposed plan exchanged between the two deities.
 
“If you expect me to tell you of my son’s whereabouts, you are greatly mistaken. Ever since meeting you, you have been nothing but trouble to him, and to me.”
 
Hyunmi was a little frightened at the accusation, but could not accept it without a reason. “I apologize if I have ever trespassed or upset you, but I do not understand what I have done to cause such displeasure,” she spoke, regaining the diplomatic tone in her voice. She was of royal birth, after all, and learned to control her emotions to deliver an intelligent speech at all times.
 
“The audacity,” Aphrodite muttered under her breath, squinting her eyes at the girl, raw, and stripped away from any pretentious kindness. “Your existence itself was your greatest trespass. People speak of your beauty and worship you as if you are one of us deities. They forgot I was the one who helped bring them into civilization, yet they chose to follow a mere mortal girl who is fairer than a goddess.”
 
Hyunmi stood perplexed, not knowing what to respond to this sudden tale. She motioned to Myungsoo and Seulyi to hold their silence before bursting out into a counter attack.
 
“I made a plan to exile you from existence itself. When your father inquired my help in his endeavor to successfully wed you to Prince Sunggyu, I saw a golden opportunity to annihilate you,” Aphrodite spoke, a dark smirk eclipsed over her beautiful face. The image was a stark contrast of each other, bringing discomfort to the onlookers.
 
The princess found it harder to breath. Woohyun’s mother had planned to kill her.
 
“I sent Cupid to your kingdom, ensuring he would win the affection of the princess himself. Following your blind love for him, you’d willingly kill yourself if he had required it of you.”
 
As foolish as it sounded, Hyunmi knew her accusing words bore some truth. If she had to sacrifice her own life in order to save Woohyun, she would have. No doubt. No hesitation. She was entirely his.
 
“But this idiotic son of mine fell in love with you instead. I suspected some treachery, but he harbored actual affections towards you, foolish enough to fall in love with a lowly mortal.”
 
Her heart was mixed with the heaviness of her guilt, and the delight of the confession. She had once again affirmed his pure love for her, which came too late. She had made the mistake of mistrusting him, sending him down the road of suffering.
 
“I warned him to never warrant the love of a mortal, because mortals only know how to hurt one another. Cupid refused to listen to me, spending his days with you instead,” Aphrodite continued, raising her head up high so she could stare at them with a mocking stare of superiority. “Indeed, he returned to me several days ago, wounded, hurt, and on the verge of death.”
 
“On the verge of death?” Hyunmi shouted, hearing Myungsoo and Seulyi gasp along.
 
“The woman he loved showed wavering faith, displaying the greatest act of betrayal she could commit by drinking the antidote of a love potion. How foolish have you been to come up with such plans? Cupid is nearly dead because of you.”
 
It couldn’t be. She thought Woohyun merely avoided her because he was dejected by her attitude. Never in her mind did she consider the possibility of his painful sufferings. The image of Woohyun lying lifeless and helpless in bed broke her heart into a million pieces. It was all because of her.
 
“Let me fix it! There must be a way for me to restore his health. If I was the cause of his problem, surely I can become his solution,” the princess tried arguing. She believed, with all her heart, that she could restore him back to life.
 
“You have escalated the problem and threatened the condition of my son’s health. I do not need you near him ever again. I will not allow you to help him,” Aphrodite said strictly, turning the skirt of her long white toga.
 
“Please.” Hyunmi did the unthinkable and fell on her knees in front of the statue, once again eliciting a surprised gasp from the other two. “Allow me to be of assistance.”
 
The goddess did not look back once, turning to the statue to return to her origin. “Myungsoo, begone from my temple, and take the princess with you.”
 
“Well, perhaps you could reconsider your words, ma’am. The princess has truly regretted her action—”
 
“Do not tempt me into asking Kronos to reduce the time of your life span,” the goddess threatened back, showing zero display of love.
 
Myungsoo was quieted at once. His shop was already trapped in a weird limbo where it was 6 o’clock at all times. He did not need his lifespan reduced, and sadly went to retrieve the princess.
 
“Chop, chop, dear. We have to move.” He tried pulling her up, but she resisted his pull and remained on the floor.
 
“I could not possibly live with myself knowing Woohyun is out there dying because of me,” she spoke, gritting her teeth together. “If it takes my life to save him, if I must die in order for him to live, then I shall willingly offer it!”
 
Both Myungsoo and Seulyi exchanged a worried glance, both trying to pry the princess back on her feet. She was starting to utter nonsense, not appreciating the life she has been given. But her body remained rooted on the ground like an anchor finding shore.
 
The goddess stared at the princess, mocking her dramatic speech. “Those blinded by love will utter meaningless words until it is proven. If you are willing to die for my son, I’d like to see you try.”
 
With that, the goddess pulled on her dress, sweeping the floor’s dust to create a cloud of mist around her. When the fog cleared up, she had disappeared.
 
“Hyunmi, don’t say things you will regret. Return to the castle with us. The king must be worried sick now,” Seulyi tried arguing, constantly pulling on the princess’ hand.
 
“As I have said, I shall do whatever it takes to save him. I know there is a way. I’m sure of it. Because a problem can not exist without a solution,” Hyunmi spoke, her gaze fixed on Aphrodite’s statue. She remembered Woohyun telling her the same thing, not knowing how important it ended up being.
 
Myungsoo held Seulyi by her arm, signaling her to stop hauling the princess who could not be moved. He knew determination once he saw it, and he knew the princess wasn’t all talk without any action. Perhaps it was her guilt, perhaps it was her longing, but Myungsoo believed she loved Woohyun enough to endure.
 
“What would you like us to do, Your Highness?” He asked.
 
His acceptance of her endurance made the princess look up in surprise, and she beamed at him appreciatively. “Tell my father not to worry, and that I apologize for jeopardizing the marriage. But I utterly refuse to take part in such ceremony.”
 
“What if he asks for your whereabouts?” Seulyi asked.
 
“Tell him I am going to find Woohyun.”
 
Even as they left, Hyunmi never moved from her position. When her legs started cramping, when sleep overtook her sanity, when her stomach growled to be fed, Hyunmi ignored all of her fleshly desires and focused on the one desire she truly wanted. To see Woohyun.
 
Perhaps the goddess would see the genuinity in her words someday. Perhaps she would rot to death before the goddess would believe her. But her principle was to never back down before a battle has been fought.
 
And indeed, the next night, Aphrodite returned in front of her. She stared at the princess with the judging eyes of a stranger, trying to decipher her true intention. But when she found none, Aphrodite began to accept that maybe, perhaps, the princess’s intention was pure after all. It prompted her to offer a second chance—one which was impossible to attain.
 
“There is a way,” her firm yet delicate voice broke the balance of serenity.
 
Hyunmi looked up at once, staring with wide eyes of curiosity.
 
“I will allow you to see Cupid, if you are able to complete my three tasks.”
 
 


Thank you all so much for the comments! It seems I have to add more dramas in order to get comments..
Hmmm.. Can we perhaps expect a character death? :3
I do hope not-so-dramatic chapters can get commented on as well. Hahhahaha Anything is fine. I am really happy with any comments (and would go to the extent of killing characters off XD)