Fluttering Feelings

Cupid at Heart
The entire ride back to the castle was odd, and Sungjong couldn’t find anything else to occupy his mind with. They were riding on one of the king’s horses; Woohyun saddled at the back while Hyunmi sat in front, cradled between his arms. It was the proper stance for a princess and a knight to remain protected. But Sungjong knew this wasn’t the case.
 
The two threw flirtatious remarks to each other, as always. On any normal occasion, he would have requested them to stop making him feel nauseous. But after the revelation he caught, Sungjong paid closer attention to Woohyun’s speech.
 
“Your mother is beautiful,” Hyunmi said, still in awe at the goddess’ visual lingering in her mind.
 
You are beautiful.” Woohyun wasn’t even trying to hold back his lavish flatteries, and he grinned when the princess was rendered speechless. She seemed to be more direct when they were just hinting at their affection, but now, it was like anything he said could paint her cheeks red.
 
“She is the goddess of beauty and love. You probably shouldn’t say a commoner is of beauty,” Hyunmi spoke with a voice that grew soft. She tilted her head down and kept the horse’s white mane in her sight. It was too embarrassing to face cupid now.
 
“The gods and goddesses are all aware of your beauty. The topic has been brought up several times. Trust me when I say you are no commoner, Hyunmi,” Woohyun revealed, and this brought such a surprise from the girl who turned to him with big eyes. “You are a marvelous work of art.”
 
Sungjong kept his yellow cat eyes on the male, not knowing how to respond every time he managed to make the princess giggle heartedly. “Is that why you came to our Heart kingdom? To see the princess for yourself?” He questioned snarkily, hoping the truth might accidentally slip from cupid’s deceitful lips.
 
“No. I came because the king requested help from my mother, and she agreed to send me,” Woohyun answered. He watched the flicker of curiosity in Hyunmi’s eyes, as if waiting for him to continue his tale. His lips lifted into the softest smile he held for her, and his hand ran through the strands of her long black hair.
 
“I didn’t think I’d be the one falling for her instead.”
 
Sungjong’s eyes twitched. He knew the princess was hopelessly falling for cupid too. She watched him with an expression she had never shown to anyone before. Sungjong would know. He had been with her for years.
 
Her smiles normally consisted of polite courtesies, but at this very moment, she was genuinely staring at cupid with a sense of awe. Her eyes oozed with affection and adoration towards the one man she ever truly laid her eyes on.
 
Strangely, Woohyun’s gaze showed a direct reflection of the princess’. It was genuine, pure, and lacked a hint of treachery. Sungjong’s confusion pooled deeper.
 
They finally returned to the castle several minutes after the sun rose. Many castle employees were probably still asleep, considering they weren’t assigned with a morning duty.
 
“Your Highness.” Woohyun extended his hand to the princess after he had gotten off the horse. His grin couldn’t stretch any wider when she placed her hand in his and jumped off the horse, falling against him with poorly coordinated movements.
 
“One of these days, you will have to prove your nimbleness to me,” he spoke with a soft chuckle.
 
“That day shall come when I no longer wish to be held by you,” Hyunmi replied daringly, secretly stealing a glance to examine his reaction. Of course his smile never wavered.
 
“When shall that day be?”
 
“Never.”
 
The two laughed furtively as if the world belonged to the two of them. As many people were still visiting dreamland, they entered the castle grounds hand in hand.
 
Sungjong followed put from behind, finding everything so curious. The secret at the temple did not add up to the lovely affection unfolding in front of him. But Woohyun was cupid himself, so he could’ve easily played the part of a passionate lover to trick the princess.
 
When they approached Hyunmi’s bedroom, the door was wide open and many voices were shouting from the inside.
 
Hyunmi exchanged a look with Woohyun and let go of his hand. She hurried to her room, seeing Seulyi, Prince Sunggyu, and Sir Hoya circling around her bed. All of them wore the same frown on their face.
 
“What happened?” She questioned out loud, which caught the attention of the other three almost immediately. They all stared at her, completely blanched out. But Seulyi broke into louder cries and ran to the princess’ arm.
 
“Oh Hyunmi, I thought that Cheetos took you from your sleep and devoured you,” Seulyi cried, wetting the princess’ mantle with her tears.
 
“Cheetos?” Hyunmi questioned, pushing herself away to search for an explanation from her head maid.
 
“Yes, Myungsoo’s pet,” Seulyi sniffed. She wrinkled her nose several times and used the sleeves of her dress to wipe the tears away.
 
Hyunmi laughed. “Her name is Chi-Chi,” she corrected her friend, knowing the maid wasn’t exactly the brightest at things. Then she turned to the other two males who should be forbidden to enter her room. Even Woohyun hadn’t crossed the boundary of her room.
 
“For whatever reason have you trespassed into a maiden’s room?” She asked, showing authority in her tone.
 
“This shan’t be a problem considering we are going to be wed soon. I am delighted to see your safety, dear.” Sunggyu went to her with long strides and pulled her by the wrist to embrace her, closing in whatever personal space she tried to maintain.
 
The glee in Woohyun’s eyes fell, and he continued staring with a hardened gaze.
 
“So I hear you are using a term of endearment,” Hyunmi simply spoke, subtly reminding Sunggyu of the theory she read. He then voluntarily retracted his arms and freed the princess from his grip. Seeing his steadfastness to court her, she understood her attempt to be despicable had failed once again.
 
“My sincere apologies, Your Highness. We were trying to obtain clues regarding your whereabout. Seulyi came crying to us announcing your disappearance,” Hoya spoke stiffly like the image they knew him by. His eyes subtly shifted to Woohyun who had presumably been with the princess the entire time. “If you would excuse my rude intrusion, may I know where you had gone off to?”
 
“I visited Aphrodite’s temple with Woohyun,” Hyunmi answered, realizing she should cover the partial truth to lessen any possible suspicions. “He has been an excellent guard and kept me safe at all times.”
 
Sunggyu nodded his head in approval and swayed himself in front of cupid. “I thank you for all your efforts. How much should I pay you as a token of my gratitude?”
 
“Oh,” Woohyun was honestly surprised by the offer, and intuitively shook his head. “I am thankful for your kindness, but my will to watch over the princess is not driven out of monetary value.”
 
Hyunmi bit on a smile, stopping herself from letting it show. She had to hide her relationship to the best of her abilities. Hoya gave her weird looks, and she could only pray he wasn’t forming any suspicions.
 
“You don’t want money? Whatever could you possibly seek for by being the princess’ knight?” Sunggyu questioned.
 
“One that is far greater in value.” Woohyun grinned daringly at the prince, almost taunting him.
 
“I was the one who asked him to be my guard. It would be disrespectful of him to refuse,” Hyunmi quickly covered for Woohyun. She was afraid anything he spoke would only tend to her growing affections for him.
 
Fooling the prince became an easy task, as apparent thus far. Sir Hoya, on the contrary, proved to be the greater obstacle. He looked at them as if trying to pry into their subtlest moment, yet was hesitant to confront it. They hoped he would keep his lips sealed in front of the king.
 
“It would be best to have the princess rest for now. Our intrusion may be rather frowned upon,” Woohyun spoke suddenly.
 
Sir Hoya nodded and turned to the princess. “Your father requests your presence at the ballroom whenever you are ready, your highness,” he informed.
 
After receiving a small approving nod from the princess, Hoya deemed it was safe enough to step out of the room.
 
Sunggyu turned to the princess and regained his arrogant composure. “As disappointed as you may be, we have to part ways for the time being. My kingdom needs me and requested my return,” he spoke.
 
It was the greatest news Hyunmi had heard, aside from Woohyun’s confession. For once, she offered the arrogant prince her most genuine smile. “I cannot stop you from your priorities. I wish you a safe trip home, Prince Sunggyu.”
 
Sunggyu nodded with an unreadable expression. He then departed with Hoya who had been waiting to lead him back to his room. Only Woohyun remained by the door now.
 
Knowing they were somewhat alone, Hyunmi couldn’t hold back the smiles she had been saving for him. When he secretly took her hand and laced his fingers with hers, her smile stiffened from a sudden electric jolt.
 
“You should rest,” he said, bringing her hand close to his lips. The subtle movement returned the rosy color to her cheeks.
 
“How could I possibly do so when I am left feeling this way?” Hyunmi questioned, clutching her chest with her other hand. Like a thousand fireworks had gone off, the feeling was strange but delightful.
 
“We shall meet the sooner you wake up,” Woohyun spoke ever charmingly. He pressed his lips against her hand, and lowered it to her side before releasing it from his grip. He loved seeing the princess flustered. “It is impossible to keep me away from you. Rest well, Hyunmi.”
 
He took her breath away in every pleasing way possible. Watching him leave triggered a sadness, and she wished for nothing more but to have him stay. But her desire bore too much risk. As Hyunmi closed the door with a dreamy sigh and turned around, she gasped at Seulyi’s face.
 
“Where did you really go off to with cupid?” She asked with a hint of mischief in her voice. At this point, she was similar to Sungjong’s curious nature. The cat had already made himself comfortable on the bed and silently cleaned his paws.
 
“We went to Aphrodite’s temple. That is the truth,” Hyunmi spoke, though she was terrible at hiding her growing grin. She walked away from Seulyi and plopped herself down on her bed.
 
“Something must have happened between you two. I knew about your attraction ever since I first saw him on the balcony-”
 
“Was it that obvious?”
 
“Even a cat could tell,” Sungjong chimed in, and momentarily flashed his wide grin before continuing to clean himself.
 
“It was rather obvious considering you never had any trouble getting off a horse.” Seulyi rolled her eyes, though she probably would’ve used the same trick on Myungsoo. “Besides, I can sense something is different now. Have you two perhaps confessed your feelings for another?”
 
“Well…”
 
“They were going to share a kiss if I hadn’t walked in,” Sungjong spoke like it was the greatest achievement to his existence. But he was wrong. Seulyi grew violent and threw a pillow at him.
 
“Why would you interrupt such a beautiful moment? If you ever try to sabotage my kiss with Myungsoo, I will boil you alive,” Seulyi threatened the cat.
 
“I happen to know you do not know how to start a fire.” Sungjong smirked maliciously, knowing he could get away with his insults. He easily avoided a pillow thrown at him.
 
Hyunmi laughed at the playful sight between her two friends. With the smile lingering on her lips, a new curiosity dawned on her.
 
“What is it like?” She suddenly questioned, and the other two stopped to look at her. “To be in love, I mean.”
 
Seulyi seemed delighted at the discussion and properly sat herself next to the princess. The gaze changed in her eyes, and suddenly she was staring off into cloud nine.
 
“It’s the feeling of everything nice in the world, like cotton candies surrounding a honeyed lake,” she spoke and her lips. She always had the weirdest metaphors for things.
 
“That isn’t love. That’s gluttony,” Sungjong commented, and they chose to ignore him.
 
“What about you, Hyunmi? How do you feel about cupid?” Seulyi asked her with big curious eyes, unconsciously leaning in closer.
 
The question itself made the princess replay their moments together in her head, and her chest felt warmer all of a sudden. The heat rose to her cheek at the thought of him. She remembered his playful remarks and the subtle caress of his fingers against her skin. She remembered the instant joy whenever he was in the same room, and an even greater sensation when he noticed her in return. Everything about him was intoxicating and she would willingly drown herself in his embrace.
 
“I would do anything to be with him,” she confessed. Surprisingly, the words rolled off her tongue much easier than expected.
 
The answer bore a certain sweetness to it which worried Sungjong to no end. He recalled the conversation he overheard between cupid and his mother, wondering to what extent he should warn the princess.
 
“Hyunmi, you barely know him. He hasn’t been with us for long. Who could tell what his true intentions were?” Despite his bluntness, Sungjong was carefully weighing his words this time.
 
“Does the length of time determine the strength of one’s affection?” Hyunmi asked, part wonderment, part rhetorical.
 
“Nonsense. I harbor affections for Myungsoo longer than you coming to terms with your feelings, yet I do not doubt the genuinity.” Seulyi swung her arm to dismiss the cat’s negative words.
 
“All I’m saying is to be careful,” Sungjong said, and his tone was more solemn than before. “Please.”
 
At that, Hyunmi was alerted. It took a great deal for the vain cat to ever utter a plea, and she knew it wasn’t based on a blind assessment.
 
“I will,” she told the cat and flashed a reassuring smile. She realized it was impossible to fall asleep. Her time was better utilized by visiting the king.
 
With her maid’s help, Hyunmi changed into a freshly washed gown. The exhaustion should’ve taken over by now, but she strolled lightly through the corridors with too much energy. Her longing to see cupid sparked the greatest strength within her.
 
When she entered the ballroom, Woohyun was in the midst of entertaining her father. But upon sighting her, he lost his trail of thoughts and stared at her, awestruck.
 
The king followed his line of vision and was pleased to see his daughter. “Woohyun, if you would be so kind to her here?”
 
“Yes, Your Majesty.” He showed no hint of objection and went over to the princess. With the smile fixated on his face, he offered his arm. “Why aren’t you asleep?”
 
She linked her arm around his and held back her smile, only showing one of formal etiquette. “Would my desire to see you be enough of a reason?” She whispered her reply.
 
He chuckled lightly, and his shoulders bounced along. “I did not think the princess would be capable of missing me that much.”
 
“Neither did I, and yet I do.”
 
The grin was plastered on his face, lifting his lips to show his dimpled smile. Then he let go of her arm and bowed to her before joining the king by his side.
 
“Hyunmi, how is the progress with the Prince of Spade?” The king questioned.
 
Anything related to that man would return the princess’ foul mood, but she was exceptional at maintaining her fake smile.
 
“Excellent, father. Not only had he declared his lack of interest in getting to know me, but he shamelessly exhibited his shallow opinion regarding my appearance. Apparently he has plans to put me on display as his queen, claiming my worth is dependant of my beauty.”
 
The king, along with the men surrounding him, stared at her with surprise. They wondered whether Sunggyu’s absence made her speak so blatantly of him, but she maintained her smile throughout her complaints.
 
Dongwoo was the first one to snicker a chuckle, but cleared his throat when the king shot him a deathly glare.
 
“Hyunmi, I understand you are frustrated, but give the prince a chance. He is desired by many people for a reason.”
 
The princess was fuming and clenched her hands into a fist. The smile was long gone from her stiff lips, and her eyes fluttered to Woohyun for help. She could tell he was asking her to behave, but it was so difficult when her entire heart was consumed by rage. Then she got an idea.
 
“What if, supposedly by any chance, I fell in love with some other man?”
 
She read the surprise on her father, Dongwoo, and Woohyun’s face. Kihyun looked rather confused. But Hoya, his eyes subtly glanced to cupid’s direction in the blink of a moment.
 
“Don’t be ridiculous. There is no one in this kingdom who could catch your interest.”
 
“Yes, there is. It’s-”
 
“Your Majesty, you had an announcement to make,” Woohyun quickly interrupted before his identity as the secret lover would be revealed. He glanced over at Hyunmi, learning her emotion could overpower her rational thinking in the spur of a moment.
 
“Ah, indeed.” Luckily, the king was easy to distract. “We have received an invitation from the Diamond kingdom. They requested Dongwoo to be engaged to the princess as soon as possible.”
 
Hyunmi widened her eyes, stared at her brother with disbelief, and didn’t realize her lips parted inaudibly. How could he look so calm and composed? His future was at stake. Was Dongwoo perhaps in love with the princess?
 
“So prepare yourself,” the king’s booming voice returned her to reality. “We’re leaving tomorrow.”
 
 


More problems are on the way~
Thank you all so much for reading and for the comments <3
I try not to give any accidental spoilers, so my replies may be a bit vague XD