Aphrodite's Temple

Cupid at Heart
In the land of Mirificus, citizens truly believed in the power and protection of the deity watching over them. To the Spade kingdom, they worshiped Zeus, and therefore it was seen as the greatest and most powerful kingdom. The Diamond kingdom was represented by Hermes, allowing them to be the most effective communicators, having numerous allies. The Clover kingdom was governed by Apollo, the god of arts and festivities.
 
The Heart kingdom was watched by Aphrodite, the goddess of love herself. There were many festivals dedicated to worship and thank her for the long lasting and happy marriages. But over years, these festivals began to cease. Instead of celebrating for what she had done, people began to complain for the things she hadn’t done.
 
The youngest princess was set on changing that. She yearned to find the earlier fondness the older generation used to hold for Aphrodite—back when they celebrated during both the good and bad times. She was sure cupid would love it that way. She’d do anything to make him happy.
 
The temple of Aphrodite was located at the center of the city. The philosophy reasoned that the goddess who kept the city safe should be at the heart of Heart.
 
Unlike the palace that was heavily influenced by European styled architecture, the temple stayed true to its Greek origins. A climbing pair of stairs led the way to the temple on top, believing that only the determined were worthy enough of worship. White pillars upheld the pyramid cornice on top, embedded with statues of men worshipping a single entity. The capital connecting the shaft to the architrave were decorated with intrinsic linear patterns and guarded with little cherubs. It was almost what she had imagined cupid to be like, before she met Woohyun.
 
They had gone before sunrise in order to remain discreet. The citizens could not be distracted with the knowledge that the beautiful princess was amongst them.
 
“Be careful,” Woohyun spoke as he extended a hand to Hyunmi. With one hand, he took the sacrificial fruit basket from her hand. Then he gently held the tip of her fingers within his own touch, guiding her to climb the stoney pavement upwards. The princess was nimble enough, but her long and loose white dress—though simpler compared to her usual royal attire—was one that was a hassle to climb in.
 
It would be better if Sungjong didn’t insist on coming along. He even demanded to be carried to avoid climbing the stairs himself. That lazy fat cat. His prudent silence was a powerful tool to threaten and blackmail the princess with, and it worked. So Hyunmi was forced to carry him, hearing the loud jingling from the bell of his collar.
 
Once upstairs, the interior of the temple was so nostalgic. Hyunmi remembered coming here when she was little, praying and wishing for nonsensical things. The room was still vast and spacious, echoing whatever she would utter. More pillars were placed along the walls, all perfectly calculated by the distance between them. In the center of the entire temple, the grand statue of Aphrodite herself, made from the finest quality of marbled stone, stood tall.
 
Hyunmi walked in front of it, clasping her hands together as she fluttered her eyelids shut. She chanted a silent prayer of gratitude, thanking Aphrodite for the chance to meet cupid, and for her passionate feelings towards him. She never knew she was capable of such emotions.
 
“When you told me you desired to meet my mother, I expected an in-person meeting.” Woohyun chuckled as he set the gift basket in front of the sculpture. He watched her widening her eyes, staring at him with a look of awe and disbelief.
 
“Do you mean that? I have never encountered a deity before,” she told him, jaw hanging agape at the opportunity.
 
“You’ve encountered me, haven’t you?” Woohyun then spoke, beaming at her while tousling her hair with adoration.
 
Hyunmi blushed a little, which was hidden by the semi purple hues blanketing the sky. The sun would be up soon, and the temple would be brighter. For now, the chandeliers against the walls provided enough fire to lit up the space. It was as warm as her heart. Sometimes, she let herself believe Woohyun was fully human. That way, it was easier to conclude what the future held for their relationship.
 
Hyunmi had grown silent, intently watching Woohyun’s movements as he set out to summon the goddess of love. Was there a specific ritual? Did they need a sacrificial ox or lamb? Would the goddess descend down from heaven? But the answer was much, much simpler than that.
 
“Mother, you have a visitor,” Woohyun shouted, listening to his own voice bounce off from pillar to pillar. He crossed his arm over the other, looking completely content at what was about to happen.
 
The ground began to shake to the extend dust and debris cascaded down the pillars. The temple looked like it was about to descend into rumbled pieces, but Woohyun was far too calm for the possible danger it could bear. His eyes were fixated on the statue which was trembling more than the concrete floor itself. Smoke was emitted from underneath the majestic art piece, which was caused by the friction of the sturdy material against the floor, or from dust being afflicted into the air.
 
Hyunmi shielded herself from the overwhelming amount of smoke that fogged her vision, holding in her breath in the proces. In that very moment, the trembling stopped, and the air was filled with silence once more. When she removed her arm from her eyes, she noticed a slender silhouette emerging beneath the smoke.
 
It was Aphrodite.
 
“Wherefore have you summoned me, dear son?” The goddess questioned. Her voice was laced with such grace that reminded Hyunmi of her own mother years ago. It was the kind of voice that was someone’s lullaby during the night, and outshone the chirping nightingale in the morning.
 
“I would like you to meet the youngest princess of Heart, Princess Hyunmi.” Woohyun stretched his arm to her, and she was unconsciously trembling when she placed her hand within his fingers. He pulled her closer and had her stand in front of the goddess.
 
Aphrodite was more beautiful than any tale had described her as. She was b, not just with beauty, but with kindness and friendliness that one expected through her smile. Her hair was the color of gold, and a small aura of glow pertained around her like a saint. She wore a white toga that hung nicely around her neck, but left a deep cut on the side to show off her long legs.
 
Even Sungjong was mesmerized, completely silent as he kept staring. His purple tail laid idle on the floor, afraid that making the smallest movement would hinder his vision from her beauty.
 
“Ah, so this is the girl rumored to possess a beauty that surpasses a goddess,” Aphrodite spoke, the breezy hint of amusement in her tone. The hazelnut color of her eyes rolled to the human girl, and she curled her lips. “Pleased to meet you, I am Cupid’s mother.”
 
Hyunmi was completely awestruck; countless of ideas going on in her head on how to leave a good impression. Aphrodite was after all the one who birthed the person she fancied.
 
“Y-your excellency,” the word escaped her lips so briefly, so fragile, and she almost regretted it immediately. Sungjong snorted at her, intensifying her embarrassment. How was she supposed to address a goddess?
 
A laughter sunk on Aphrodite’s face, and even so, her skin was smoothed out from any creases. She resembled a real life porcelain doll, but much stronger and more empowering.
 
“You may call me Aphrodite, sweet child,” she said, grazing her fingers over Hyunmi’s chin. The sound of her chuckles were so pleasant to the ears, and thrilled one’s heart with unexplainable warmth.
 
The princess bobbed her head stiffly, amusing the two deities who looked at her with fondness.
 
Sungjong was embarrassed on her behalf. But seeing the princess surrounded by Aphrodite and Cupid, he had to admit that Hyunmi completed the picturesque scene of the beautiful trio. If a stranger had walked by and taken one glance, the princess could be mistaken as a goddess too.
 
“Surely you did not summon me to prove the princess’ beauty. What matter do you seek wisdom to?” Aphrodite turned to her son, having perfect understanding of his true intention. Her tone was rather impatient, but filled with so much love and grace it might’ve been a misunderstanding.
 
Hyunmi switched her gaze towards Woohyun now, seeing brief hesitance announce his dilemma. But then he turned to meet her eyes, and with the faintest smile he could offer, he held her hand.
 
“All these while, I have been tasked to make people fall in love. My request is to gain an understanding regarding love. Perhaps, I have fallen in love with the princess,” Woohyun spoke so daringly, proving his determined intention as a man.
 
Hyunmi kept her smile hidden behind her straight lips. She studied Aphrodite’s expression, but the goddess was also well trained on keeping her face neutral. She was not induced with panic, nor did she exclaim any excitement. It made her hard to read and appear rather distant. Wasn’t cupid forbidden to fall in love? Why was he boldly questioning his mother? Unless her memories had altered the recollection of his speech.
 
“My heart is drenched in joy for you have obtained your true love.” Aphrodite’s sparkling eyes glanced at Hyunmi. “The love you speak of could take on any of the four forms, son.”
 
The concept was foreign, and Hyunmi barely managed to uphold her poised expression. She did not want to look foolish in front of the goddess.
 
“Of course, how could I have forgotten?” Woohyun mumbled to himself, facing the ground as if the answers would be written on the concrete floors. He then felt Hyunmi slightly squeezing his hand, and he understood she needed elaboration.
 
“The four types of love are phileo, storge, eros, and agape,” Woohyun spoke, turning to Hyunmi. A small frown appeared above her eyebrows, and he lightly chuckled at her exposed confusion. She was horrible at hiding it.
 
“Phileo love is the one felt within a friendship. If you feel drawn to people of the same interest, culture, or belief, it is the phileo love at work.”
 
Hyunmi thought about it. She regarded Seulyi and Sungjong as her closest friends. But sir Hoya and Kihyun’s respect towards the kingdom earned her phileo love as well.
 
“Storge is the love towards family or a community.”
 
This included her love towards her father, her brother, and her two older sisters. She had always loved them, yet dismissed the idea of love as anything but romantic.
 
“Then there is eros,” Woohyun spoke, stammering a little. He was no longer staring into her eyes, but had her lips locked in vision. “It is the earthly kind of love that involves physical attraction, and is usually romantically inclined towards a partner. Sometimes it involves… Desire.”
 
“Oh,” the princess spoke, and she blushed a little. She was certain this was what she had been feeling for Woohyun. She liked to believe the feeling was mutual.
 
Woohyun cleared his throat to erase whatever tension was about to be build. “The fourth kind is agape love.”
 
“Agape love?” Hyunmi vaguely remembered having heard this one before. Woohyun mentioned it to her father during the masquerade ball.
 
“It is the greatest love of all: sacrificial and unconditional. The kind of love where you’d be willing to give your life up for someone else,” he continued.
 
This feeling was unfamiliar to her. Though she loved her family, friends, and Woohyun in different ways, she never considered a possibility where she had to exchange her own life with the other. Would she be willing to do it? She hoped she never had to find out.
 
“The answers you sought to discover were within you all along. It seems calling upon me was quite unnecessary,” Aphrodite said, her heart shaped lips curling into a smile nonetheless.
 
“A part of me wanted you to meet Hyunmi. She is an important part of my life now, and it is only right for you to see her,” Woohyun spoke, placing a hand behind the princess’ back.
 
The words echoed in Hyunmi’s head like ecstasy. He had said a lot of lines that hinted towards his affection, but to hear him speak so casually in front of his mother was like receiving approval. Would this be a good timing to question about a deity and human’s relationship?
 
“She is a very pleasant lady, a true princess, indeed.” Aphrodite smiled kindly, and it erased all of Hyunmi’s doubts instantly. Perhaps it was some sort of magic at work, but she wanted to believe their relationship wasn’t forbidden. Aphrodite had said nothing in opposition thus far.
 
“It would be best for us to return to the palace before the people wake up,” Woohyun remembered, realizing the sun was almost at its peak outside. Even the darkest corners hidden in shadows would be touched with the array of light.
 
“Before you go, son, I would like to discuss something with you,” Aphrodite glanced at Hyunmi, “In private.”
 
It didn’t take long for the princess to process what was requested of her. She lifted her long dress a little and curtsied to the goddess like another royalty.
 
“It was such a pleasure to meet you. I cannot thank you enough for answering our questions regarding the meaning of love,” she spoke politely, smiling so much one might thought she was cramping. But she wasn’t, she was extremely delighted.
 
“The pleasure is mine, Princess Hyunmi. With this newfound meaning, perhaps we may hear wedding bells in the future.” Aphrodite nodded at her.
 
The words made Hyunmi blush again. She was no longer curious about the taboo quality of her relationship. Aphrodite wanted her and cupid to get married, considering Prince Sunggyu was out of the equation.
 
“I hope our paths shall cross once more, Aphrodite,” Hyunmi bowed one last time. Her eyes met Woohyun’s, who for one second looked solemn before he forced his usual grin on his lips.
 
So she picked the fat cat in her hand, and started descending the stairs in front of the temple. Perhaps she could inquire Woohyun later. The sun was out, but many people were still getting ready for the day. She knew her day couldn’t possibly go wrong after Aphrodite’s indirect approval.
 
“Ah, my bell!” Sungjong suddenly exclaimed, pushing his way out of Hyunmi’s hands. He transformed with a flip in the air, landing on both feet as a human being. He touched his neck, realizing there was no collar. “I left it inside. Probably in the basket.”
 
Hyunmi placed a hand on her hip and squinted her eyes at the cat. “Out of all days to wear the bell, why today?”
 
“Cats love bells,” Sungjong said casually with a shrug, as if anything she said would be held against her in the future. And she knew by now not to test the cat’s abilities.
 
“I’ll wait here.” Hyunmi marked the invisible territory of her space around her. She chuckled when Sungjong shook his head and returned to the temple’s inner chamber.
 
He heard vague noises from the others and guessed a heated battle was going on. Woohyun truly had a desolated expression on his face, and Sungjong wondered whether Hyunmi’s absence was the reason for it. But seeing Aphrodite, he slowly understand why.
 
“A job well done, son. You should be very proud of yourself. Even the princess whose beauty outshines us goddesses was left powerless against your charm.”
 
Sungjong was carefully hiding behind one of the pillars near the entrance. His bright cellow cat eyes kept watching them, and his tail fell flat on the ground again. Alerted.
 
“It seems the plan shall work smoother this way,” Aphrodite was still the one speaking. Her face radiated such joyfulness, but the sharp angles of her eyebrows were less than friendly.
 
The cat did not dare to question what plan was being discussed, but his love for rumors made him stick around longer. Something strange was going on, and when Hyunmi was involved, he couldn’t let it go.
 
Woohyun looked slightly dejected, though he tried to remain strong for someone else’s sake. He faced the feet of the statue, avoiding looking at his mother. It was hard to read his true emotions.
 
“Remember. Your mission is to make her fall for you. Not the other way around. Understood?”
 
This was almost too scandalous to believe. Sungjong quickly morphed back to his cat form, escaping the temple with utmost silence and stealth. He couldn’t bear listening any longer. Yet before he stepped out, he could hear Woohyun’s voice echo loud and clear.
 
“I understand.”