Part of the Job

Dear My Cheers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Good morning!"

That greeting made my concentration of something loose. It is Friday morning and I am washing all the utensils before the chef use it. Ridiculous, very weird. "Morning, Seol." I responded with expression I can't call a smile.

"What's with the face? I really don't want to greeting like that." She pouted.

And then on that note, I pushed a very big smile. "Happy Friday!"I shouted with matching hand gesture.

"You are one kind of weirdo. Was that the way you raised?" She pushed the button to make our happy Friday morning coffee. "Was it Shinhye? Again."

"How did you even know it is her?"

"Because it is always her." She said without a hitch.

I suddenly laughed. "No, it's not always her." Because this time it is because of your brother. "I just had a bad wake up a while ago. But then," I paused and poured the coffee she just made. "Having this warm coffee can ease it." This time I smiled, genuinely. I hope it reached her. "Thanks, Seol."

"What's the difference? I always make this every single morning." She took one cup. "Part of the job."

"No, part from this." I checked my watch, waiting for the restaurant to open. "I heard from your brother that you refer me to this job."

She smiled. "Yes, I did. I can't believe you just knew it."

"I don't know the reason because we never knew each other but I am still thankful. I will not go in circles because I badly need a decent job in the kitchen." I can't remember when I sounded this serious to anyone, excluding Shinhye.

"Let's have this chat short because we are opening in a minute." She grabbed her apron. "Maybe you never knew me, but I know you Jung Yonghwa. That's all that matters to me right now." She neatly tied her apron and throw mine under my shoulder. "Prep up."

I didn't apprehend her words enough since my mind is on the kitchen already. But one thing for sure, I should have been more careful with my words. Just like the reminder of Cheers to me every single day. I automatically tied my apron as well and lined up before the head chefs comes in. Part of the job.

***


 

"As you all know, we are currently one of the biggest restaurant in the Metro." The Executive Chef reminded us, just before the Friday work begins. And then from Sous Chef down to Cooks suddenly moving their faces in agreement. "We are one of the biggest yet but," He stopped. "That is not our goal. Our goal is to be the only one biggest."

That sentence made Seol stare at me. She's one smart lady. She knew it is Jung Foods Corp the chef is talking about. I looked down and stare at the cabinet for a while. I stared awkwardly because I know this story. It happened a lot to me. The history will repeat itself again. And I lose everyday.

Seol cleared , like she wanted to say something. Actually this moment is makin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter