Because you remind me of Her

Would you be mine?

 

The next day,Irene couldn't contained her happiness and started greeting everyone with a cheerful 'goodmorning'. Maybe it's for the reason that she feel Wendy is starting to opening up to her. They even have a normal conversation unlike before where Wendy will just and leave. It was like a great achievement for Irene,since she really wanted to be friends with the latter rather being close to her like Seulgi. There is no specific reason why she's so eager to be friends with Wendy,all she knows is she just feels to do it.

She was humming to a song,hopping and leaping as she takes the direction of the school library-to return the books that she have borrowed yesterday. She was in the middle of her tracks when she suddenly heard a voices coming from the student council lounge.

Irene is really not fond of eavesdropping but today looks like an exception when she slowly took a careful step,-tiptoeing to avoid making any noise that can get the attention of whoever inside the room-closer to the door of the room that was left ajar.

Carefully,she peak her eyes on the small space,adjusting her vision to get a clearer view of the scene inside the room.

She notice there were two person inside the room. The first one,she recognize as their calculus teacher,Ms.Jessica Jung since she was facing Irene's direction and the other one,Irene couldn't see her face since her back was facing her but Irene was sure enough that she's a student in their school because she's wearing the same uniform as her.

As curiousity struck Irene,she decided to move her face closer to the back of the door,placing her ears on it to clearly heard their conversation.

"What are you doing here,Son?" 

"Son?"Irene repeated the name in a whisper to herself before focusing her eyes again on the scene.

"I just want to ask you something"the girl that was back facing her said.

Ms. Jung lifted her head up to look at the latter. Her face was calm yet you can already sense the tension between them by how Ms.Jung look at the girl infront of her. Irene suddenly gulp the lump in in fear.

"I'm busy. You can ask me that next time"Ms. Jung said coldly

"I can't wait for next time. I wanted to get the answer right now" the girl said stubbornly

Ms. Jung let out a scoff before she stand from her seat,crossing her arms infront of her chest before giving the latter an intense look.

"Your really as stubborn as always. I wonder what Soojung find interesting in you. 

Irene notice that the girl clenches her hands on her side before gripping it at the hem of her skirt.

She's controlling her temper That was Irene thought after she witness those gesture that surely Ms. Jung didn't take notice because her eyes was all focus on the latter.

"Soojung love me. And so do l"the girl retort

Soojung?

Why does the name seems familiar to Irene but she couldn't figure out when and where did she heard it.

Ms. Jung let out a scoff again. Her eyes twitch a little before looking directly at the girl but this time Irene notice that she's already glaring at her.

"Tell me what your really up to. I'm not going to waste my time in an stubborn and impertinent person like you"

"I wanted to know the truth"the person started. The grip on her skirt tightened to the point that Irene notice her knuckle was already turning white

"Whom did you give Soojung's heart? What is the name of that person?"it was more a demand than a question.

Ms. Jung didn't uttered a word at first. She just remained standing and staring at the latter but her glare was more piercing this time that it could almost burn a hole to anything that it will pass through.

The scene was more intense this time. The silence made Irene shiver in fear on her spot. She wanted to retreat back,stop herself to hear further more of this intense and private scene but she couldn't do that not when she felt her feet were nailed on the floor and her body was almost frozen.

"And do you think that I will tell you that?"Ms. Jung started,her voice sounded colder yet scary.

"Do you think I will let you know who is that person? For what? For you to do the same thing that you've done to my sister? To put that person's life in danger like what you did to Soojung? And worst let her die without even doing anything to save her!" Ms. Jung said in anger,her voice rising up and her eyes was burning in rage.

This is the first time Irene saw the woman being like that although Seulgi already told her that she's one of the terror and scary teacher in this school,Irene didn't expected her to be like this when she's angry.

"Over my dead body. But I will never ever let you know who she is. Not a single word,Wendy!"

"Wendy?" Irene whispered to herself again,confused. But her thought suddenly been disrupted when she saw Ms. Jung making her way towards the door where she's currently hiding.

She started to panic,turning her head left and right to find elsewhere to hide before she finally spotted one. Swiftly,she rushes to hide herself behind the corner next to the wall just the exact moment Ms. Jung open the door and walked to the other side of the hall.

Irene let out a sigh of relief,leaning her back on the cold wall as she started patting and clutching her left chest to calmed down her heartbeat.

Until she heard the door lock so she immediately turn her head to peak at the corner where she saw the girl in the room standing outside the room looking at the direction where Ms. Jung has left.

Irene knitted her eyebrows,adjusting her eyes to get a clearer view of the person.

Her eyes widen as well as when she finally recognized the person's identity. Because of too much surprise,she accidentally fell the books she's holding. Her eyes automatically double it's size in panic as a loud thud echoed along the empty hall that surely gets the person's attention because Irene notice that she tilted her head to the side and was about to turn her head to face her direction.

Oh crap!

Irene let out a nervous smile the moment her and the person's eyes met.

The person was wearing a surprise expression on her face but Irene tried to ignored it and started picking up her books on the floor in a hurry. She needs to get out of this place as soon as possible before everything get's worst

But unluckily for her,her plan didn't smoothly go that way when she felt a hand gripping on her forearm,stopping her when she was about to turn and walked away.

Irene tried to withdraw her forearm from the latter's hold but failed to do it when the person uses it's strenght and pulled her closer to face her again.

Irene lowered her head a little and closes her eyes for a while to gain enough strength before opening it again and slowly lifted her head up to face the person.

"H-hi,Wendy"she greeted while beaming her sweetest smile trying to sound cheerful to brighten up the mood.

"What are you doing here?" Wendy's husky voice make her shiver a little but she just shrugged it off

"I..I was about to go to the library to return this books that I've borrowed yesterday while I was on my way I spotted you here"she half-lied,feeling a little bit nervous .

Wendy stared at her for a while. Her eyes looking at her like she's searching for something or more like she's uspecting something.

Irene bit on her lower lips as she waited Wendy to uttered a word again

"Your eyes says that your lying" Wendy said in a serious tone

Irene mouth gape open in shock,she wanted to argue but she couldn't form any coherent words. Wendy might notice this since she started to talk again.

"Did you heard something?" Wendy suddenly questioned. Her face was serious and Irene was afraid and worried that she made Wendy angry this time.

There's no use to lie,not when Wendy was looking at her like she caught her doing an illegal act. So slowly,she nodded her head as a reply.

Wendy heave an exasperated sigh before looking away from Irene.

Irene felt guilty all of a sudden. Guilty for eavesdropping on someone's private issue. She wanted to say sorry but she knows that will come out useless because eventhough how many times she apologize that will not change anything.

"Wendy"

"Why?"Wendy started again,looking back at Irene but Irene notice the sudden change on Wendy's facial expression it looks like she's controlling her temper again.

So Wendy was indeed mad at her?

"Why did you do that? Why do you need to eavesdrop and heard everything?!"Wendy's voices rises this time that it almost surprises Irene.

"You shouldn't have heard anything. Then why did you still do that?!"

"I..I didn't mean it. I was just going to the library to return the books when I heard a voice. I was just.. curious" Irene explained gently not wanting to level Wendy's anger.

"Curious?"Wendy scoff"And because of your curiousity you eavesdrop on someone's private conversation? Such a lame excuse" Wendy said in a tone that was really foreign to Irene's ears.Wendy never talked to her with those manner.

So why? Why does she's doing it right now? Does it really that big issue for her to treat her like this right now.

Irene immediately wipe off the tears that was already flowing down her cheeks. She doesn't know why she's crying right now. Oh how stupid she was for crying infront of Wendy. But she couldn't contained it,Wendy's tone and words hurt her a lot.

"Sorry"she muttered in a whisper"I was just... I thought I should need to heard it to know something more about you"

"Why?!"Wendy half shouted

"Because I wanted to know you better!" Irene suddenly shouted back that surprises the both of them.

"I don't know why but I feel like I wanted to be friends with you and close to you. So I wanted to know something about you and know you better" Irene added in a softer tone this time.

Wendy blink her eyes for a couples of times.

Stop it! Please,don't make this hard for me.

"I told you..there's nothing special about me. So I suggest...stop what you're trying to do because that will be useless. Your just wasting your time on me" Wendy said before turning her back at Irene and was about to leave but Irene's voice stop her from her track.

​​​​​"Why you always pushing me away?"

I don't know either. 

Because you remind me of her? I'm not sure of.

"I don't quite understand. I just wanted us to be friends,is that difficult to do?" Irene suddenly asked

No,It's not that difficult. Maybe for the others but not for me.

"Wendy"

Wendy clenches her hands on her side. Her jaws tighten and her eye starting to form a small liquid at it's corner.

"I don't know why you're always telling me that there's nothing special on you. You know,everyone of us were born special,yeah we're different in our own way but that's the whole point,we're all different and that's make us more special."

Irene's words hit Wendy so hard that she need to blink her eyes again to prevent her tears from falling. No. She will not cry. Not here. Not infront of her.

Irene wipe off the remaining tears on her cheeks as she heave a deep breath

"I'll not give up. Whatever you say I'll not give up on you. Mark my words Wendy Son Seungwan. You will became my friend,sooner or later whether you like it or not"Irene uttered in full confidence as she curled her hands into a fist and bump it into the air to sealed the promise.

Why your doing all of this? Why?

Wendy paused on her spot but she didn't uttered a words nor turn her head to face Irene again. But after a minute,she started walking straight away from Irene.

No. Your not her. I should stop myself from thinking about it either.

 

*****

 

Seulgi was walking alone on the hallway. Her eyes looking nowhere and her mind was all lost in her thought. 

She was still thinking about what happened yesterday. She still couldn't figure out why Irene need to hide her meet up with Wendy from her. What's the possible reason?

Seulgi shake her head to erase all the negative thoughts. She shouldn't be bothered about it. Surely,sooner or later she will find out why.

"Seulgi!" A call of her name stop Seulgi from her trance. Swiftly,she turned her head to face whoever called for her.

Running towards her direction is a tall and handsome guy which Seulgi sooner recognize as one of her club members,Jonghyun who was holding a small pail of paint in both of his hands.

"Yes?"

"Sorry for disturbing I just wanted to ask if where could I put this?"he asked gesturing to the pail he's holding

"Oh. Kindly put it on the storage room"

"Ok,thanks"He thanks as he bowed his head before turning on his heels and rushes towards the direction of the storage room.

Seulgi guide him with her gaze before heaving a deep sigh.

She started to continue with her track until someone caught her attention.

"Wen?"she said when she saw her friend walking fast towards the direction of the parking lot.

Curious,Seulgi decided to take few more step towards the entrance hall the exact moment Wendy who was already on her motorbike passess infront of her.

"Wendy!" She called out,unfortunately Wendy already speeding off away until she was already out of Seulgi's sight

Seulgi felts something was wrong. She feels worried. So without further ado she immediately rushes towards her car and decided to follow Wendy behind.

 

***

Irene walked inside their classroom like a zombie. Her hands falling helplessly on her side. Her face drop in a frown. Her eyes looking at nowhere and her mind was all lost in her deep thoughts.

Her classmate give her a strange look as they all followed her with their gaze until she reaches her seat.

Irene absentmindedly slump herself on her seat before placing her head atop of her desk.

"Mind to share to me about it?" A voice which Irene recognized coming from her bestfriend Solar echoed inside her ears before Solar's face came to a view infront of her.

​Solar mimicked her where she also places her head atop of the desk next to her and faces her directly.

"What do you want me to share?"Irene asked lazily

"Everything"Solar paused"What happened between those hours that you've left to go to the library and returned here wearing that frown in your face?"

Irene heave a sigh. Maybe she really need someone to talked about this topic right now. And Solar might be that someone since she's her bestfriend for years.

Irene adjusted her position,tucking her left arms behind her head before staring back at her friend.

"I was with Wendy"she answered shortly

"Wendy? Why are you with her?"

"It's not planned. It just happened in an accident"Irene paused as recalled the past happenings"I was on my way to the library when I suddenly heard a voices coming inside the student council lounge. I was curious,so I decide to eavesdrop"

"I saw Ms. Jung inside the room and she's with another person. At first I didn't recognize the person since she's back facing me but sooner when she was already outside the room. I recognized her as Wendy"

"Wait. So your telling me that Wendy was with Ms. Jung?But I thought they're not that close then why does she's with her?" Solar asked in disbelief

"They were not talking about something that friends usually talked to. They were talking about some serious topic,something more private."

"And what was that?"

Irene paused. Contemplating to uttered her next words.

"They're talking about...Soojung"

"Soojung? You mean,Jung Soojung?"

"You know her?" 

Solar nodded her head

"Of course. Who didn't"

Irene knitted her eyebrows together. Now,she's more curious about this Soojung. Who is she? And why does Wendy and Ms. Jung fighting because of her? What did Wendy do to her?

Arghh. Why are there so many questions in my head right now?

"Irene" Solar called out softly,snapping her out of her thought

"Who is she,Sol? Who is Soojung?" Irene asked,determined to know the whole truth about this mysterious girl that kept on popping inside her head since earlier.

Solar heave a deep breath. Tucking her arms behind her head to get a comfortable position.

"She's one of the most popular student here in this school before. She's the dance club president. Everyone here idolize her because of her kind personality and of course because of her mesmerizing beauty."

"But what is her relationship with Ms. Jung and Wendy?Why are they arguing about her?"

Solar bit on her lips. And Irene notice the hesitation on her face as she started avoiding her gaze.

"Sol?"

"Irene,I don't think I'm the right person to tell you about that"

"Please,Solar. I really wanted to know. Please"Irene beg as she reaches to hold Solar's hand.

Solar stared at her for awhile before she finally give in and nodded her head.

"Soojung or Krystal Jung is Ms. Jung's younger sister"Solar revealed that surprises Irene.

"Sister?"

"Yes."

Irene mouth was open and moving but she couldn't uttered a right word in too much surprise

"H-how 'bout Wendy. What is her relationship with her?"Irene asked carefully

Solar pursed her lips together before opening it again

"She's Wendy's girlfriend"

Irene was more surprised to heard it as she could no longer closed and her eyes remained looking at Solar but didn't really mind it because her mind was lost again in her thoughts,processing about the whole revelation.

"I..I don't still quite understand"she manage to uttered"If Soojung was Ms. Jung's younger sister and Wendy was her girlfriend then why are they arguing about her?" Irene added

"Because Ms. Jung was blaming Wendy for Soojung's death"

"Death?"

Solar nodded her head"Yes. Soojung was dead"

Irene couldn't no longer stand for it. This whole revelation was already too much for her to handle. She doesn't know why but she suddenly felt a light pain inside her chest causing her to immediately clutch unto it to ease the pain.

"Oh my God. Irene are you okay? Why are you crying?"Solar suddenly jolted up in panic,reaching out her hands to wipe the tears on Irene's cheeks.

Irene slowly touch her cheeks where she felts the stain of  cold liquid coming from it. 

So she's indeed crying? But Why? Why is she crying? Why does it became too much painful for her to handle? And who is Soojung? Why does she seems familiar to her?

 

***

Wendy arrived at the open sea just near their school. She's wearing an unreadable expression on her face,while she lifelessly walked near the shore. Her bare feet touched the white sand leaving a visible mark on it. Her eyes were already rimmed red because of her tears. She was walking mindlessly as her eyes never leave the sea.

She falls on her knees the moment she reaches the shore just a meter away from the water.

"Your selfish" she muttered in a husky voice

"Your selfish!"she yelled to no one. Her eyes started to water again before it suddenly flows down to her cheeks.

"You told me you loved me.. But why did you leave me?! Why did you let me suffer like this alone?! Why?!" She yelled again in one breath before her hands helplessly landed on the white sand,firmly gripping on it between her hands as her tears continuously falls down unto it,moistening it.

"Your selfish"she added in a whisper before she started pounding punches on the white sand while crying her heart out.

It lasted for almost a minute before she stop. She was catching her breath before she slowly lifted her head to face the sea again.

"It should've been better if you did take me with you"she said before an idea came to her mind.

Slowly,she stand on her feet. She stumble a bit  because of her weakening knees but still manage to regain her posture after. She paused on her spot for a moment before taking a few slow step towards the water.

Soojung,I'm coming...

 

 

***

ToBeContinued...

 

An early apology for some typo:')