Bonus Chapter: Early Retirement

Let's Not Fall In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day seemed perfectly fine. She had one of those rare quiet days for the emergency department. Towards the middle of the afternoon there were no patients left except for one who was waiting for his results. By the time the clocked ticked five she was able to go off without any hitch. Traffic from the hospital to Jiyong’s firm was surprisingly light also. Jiyong drove her to the hospital in the morning so she had to take an uber to his office. The usual thirty minute ride in moderate to heavy traffic was over in fifteen. 

Everything seemed to be going her way. She was humming happily as she went inside the firm. The staff already familiar with her, waved cheerily in welcome at her entrance. Jiyong’s receptionist approached her, “Good afternoon Dara. The boss is in a closed door meeting with a client. You can sit over there first and I will bring you some coffee in a while.”

“Thank you, Jeena. Coffee would be lovely.” Dara beamed at Jiyong’s staff. They used to address her as Madam or as Doctor but she put her foot down and declared she won’t be answering to any of them unless they call her by name. She preferred to keep her work separate from her personal life neither was she comfortable with being called Madam. 

She felt like she was a middle aged ahjumma when they called her Madam. Jiyong laughingly commented “But I always see you as my ahjumma! My one and only Ahjumma.” He ended his statement with a mischievous wink and both his index fingers pointing at her. His attempt at lightening her mood only earned him a glare, two days of silent treatment and two lonely nights sleeping in the sofa. 

He had learned his lesson and bribed his way back into their room with pastry baskets, Winner and IKON signed albums and limited edition couple AF1 sneakers. He also made a great show of declaring to his staff that she should not be addressed as Madam or Doctor. She still gave him a fierce glare but the door was unlocked later that night so his efforts paid off.

Now back to the present as Dara was sipping her cup of coffee and nibbling on some pretzels that Jeena gave her, two fashionably dressed women with matching Chanel 2.55 bags swinging from their shoulders came sauntering in the office. Dara was in a partially hidden alcove but she could still observe the newcomers if she craned her neck a little. 

Jeena greeted them respectfully and the taller woman declared that she had an appointment for Jiyong the following morning but she had to leave for some emergency so she was insisting to see Mr. Kwon now. Jeena patiently told them that Mr. Kwon was currently in a meeting and had a prior engagement lined up already after the said meeting so he couldn’t see her accordingly. She offered that Ms. Lee, the senior associate, working on the case alongside Mr. Kwon was free currently and she could maybe discuss her concerns with her.

“Don’t you recognize me?” The woman’s shrill voice reached Dara’s ears and she cocked her head curiously at the woman. Dara cringed at her screechy tone. The poor receptionist cast an apologetic look towards Dara who kindly nodded her silent consent to waiting a little bit more for Jiyong. Jeena had no choice but to acquiesce at her imperious tone. 

Jeena then ushered the ladies to sit on the sofa and offered them coffee or tea while they waited. The ladies turned their noses up in the air and gingerly sat their sculpted buttocks on the settee.

Eavesdroppers seldom hear anything good about themselves they say. That one fine day Dara proved that old adage to be true. As Dara was not visible from the two ladies, they started gossiping the moment Jeena left.

“I tell you, Mr. Kwon is absolutely yummy. Just wait and see for yourself. He’s not the tallest guy but his slim build fills a suit perfectly. And his eyes, I tell you, they are mesmerizing and his aloof, professional aura makes me want him even more. He’s probably only playing hard to get. Someday just you wait and he’ll be mine.” The aggressive lady declared to her companion.

“I thought he’s already married.” Her friend commented.

“So? Haven’t you heard of divorce? Besides I heard from someone else who saw him in the supermarket with his wife. She said the girl looked like his household help. No sense of fashion whatsoever.” The lady continued badmouthing Dara. She grabbed her phone and showed the screen to her friend, “Look at her. Who wears these clothes outside their home? People shouldn’t even wear them inside their home.”

Dara straightened up slightly and snuck a peak over the foliage. She could vaguely see herself in the lady’s screen. She could re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter