Chapter 24

Let's Not Fall In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The minutes and miles flew by and soon they were approaching the next train stop. Dara breathed a sigh of relief since for the past quarter of an hour Hannah’s contractions have become stronger and more regular. Jiyong’s hand had been gripped for so long, he was not sure if he still had circulation left on his fingers but he quietly held on, concentrating more on observing Dara’s bedside manner towards the mostly terrified but strong young lady she was attending. 

Throughout the whole time Dara never asked about the circumstances of the girl’s most probably unplanned pregnancy. She bided her time but decided on building rapport with the apparently scared young lady. Hannah was young, but their was a maturity showing in her eyes behind the fear and anxiety. 

She had divulged earlier that she managed to have regular prenatal checkups in one of the city health offices but was warned that she needed special attention because of her age. It took a while for her to summon enough courage but she had finally decided to tell her mom in person today but she never, not even once mentioned the baby’s father. Dara did not pressure her to give information she was not willing to divulge.

After one particularly intense contraction, Hannah lifted anxious eyes towards Dara. “Unnie, should I tell him? What if something happens to me and he doesn’t know about the baby? What will happen then?”

“What do you feel is right, Hannah? I promise you I will do my best to help you and your baby get through your delivery. You and your baby have a lot to go through for the next hours, if you’re not ready to tell him now there will be time later.” Dara kindly said her tone devoid of judgment.

“We broke up before I knew I was pregnant. I figured if he didn’t want me anymore then he wouldn’t want my child, either. He said we were too young and we still had dreams. He got a scholarship to study abroad. He didn’t even ask what I wanted but decided what he thought was best for the both of us telling me that he still loved me but didn’t want to burden me with a long distance relationship. I acted cool about the break up but I was hurt and angry at him. I had too much pride to ask him not to go. But if I’m being honest, sometimes I think about it and I know I couldn’t blame him for his decision. Beneath the anger I understand his logic. He had always been logical and I loved him for that. But what I loved about him also makes me want to hate him.” Her eyes turned misty in remembrance. 

“When I found out I was pregnant I went to his apartment. He was packed and ready to go. He was smiling when he saw me at his doorstep. He thought I was there to say goodbye. When I saw his smile I realized and I didn’t have the guts to tell him he was going to be a father. I remembered how his face used to light up when he talked of the future. He was different from the other guys I knew. He knew what he wanted even when we were in high school. He wanted to someday become the CEO of his own software company.  His enthusiasm was infectious. I had also wanted to be a part of his future but I don’t how we could factor in a baby in that future he envisioned.” She hissed as another painful spasm gripped her abdomen. 

Jiyong’s hand was squeezed of all its blood supply once again. Hannah let out another keening cry and her body twisted sideways on the stretcher. “Unnie, I think my water just broke.” She told Dara. Dara took a swift intake of breath as she noted the telling change in color in Hannah’s adult diapers.

“Hannah, honey. I need to examine you again. The baby might be coming faster than I thought. We might not make it to the hospital but I’m here to help you and your baby, okay?” Dara told Hannah. Hannah nervously nodded her head.

Dara arranged the linen to give Hannah some privacy and motioned for Jiyong to leave but Hannah was not letting go of his hand. “Please let Ahjussi stay, Unnie. I trust both of you. If mom can’t be around I’d want you both to be here, please,” the girl pleaded. 

Dara nodded at her words and turned questioning eyes at Jiyong. She knew he was not fond of blood and gore. Birthings are, as a general rule, full of both. Jiyong took a deep breath but nodded to tell her he was okay.

Dara told Jiyong to station himself temporarily on the stretcher’s head to afford more privacy for Hannah before donning on gloves. She then asked for a female service crew to serve her some lub

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter