27. Bittersweet

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She couldn’t remember the last time she’d kissed someone. It was probably when she was in college during one of her drunken stupors, but this time, she wasn’t drunk.

Her eyes slipped closed after Yixing closed his own and pulled her closer to him. His arm s around her waist, his hand pressing into the small of her back firmly. The warmth emanating from him was addictive, and she definitely had no will to move anytime soon. They stayed in that position for a bit, reveling in each other and simply enjoying the moment. Hana knew that she kissing Yixing was putting an even bigger target on his back, but there was a part of her that was glad that she threw all caution and restraint out the window and just kissed the man. He was willing to die with her, for her. 

It definitely had gotten to a point where Yixing had known how Hana felt, but he was holding back for her sake. She was terrified, and she knew that she would not be able to live with herself if something happened to him, so the fact that Yixing was respecting her decision played a huge part in her growing feelings. She was utterly grateful for the man with her, and she was glad that she had taken the chance to kiss him. She had realized that she would always be thankful for Yixing’s presence, but she barely conveyed it.

It was about time that she did.

She really could have died if that bomb were real, and the fact that she was a cop made death an everyday possibility. She didn’t want to leave any regrets behind. Hana wanted to take pleasure in life, and for once, she wanted to be greedy and take what she wanted without having to wonder about the consequences. 

The kiss consumed her, but Yixing took it slow. His lips were soft, and she simply sighed, melting into him. There was something about being able to completely let her guard down, knowing that she wasn't alone — that she wouldn't be alone.

They broke apart breathless but didn’t break away from each other’s embrace just yet. He hugged her close, resting his chin upon her head as she buried her face into his chest. She took deep breaths as she slowed her racing heart.

It was when voices carried through the doorway that they moved. Yixing stood up with a blank expression, but his eyes sparkled. Tilting her head at him, she studied him curiously, wondering when she got so good at reading his eyes. He extended his arm to give Hana a hand up, and she took it with a smile even though her legs felt like jello. Yixing kept his arms around her until she stepped away once she was steady on her feet. Yixing was just about to speak when Myungsoo, Jessica, and Jongin practically burst through the doorway excited. Myungsoo reached Hana first and dramatically swept her into a hug causing her to stumble a bit.

“My partner!” he cried. Jongin joined the hug, followed by Jessica, and Hana wasn’t sure who, but one of the three pulled Yixing into the hug too. The only problem with that was the fact that Yixing stumbled into Jessica which caused the entire group to tumble towards the ground; Hana somehow ending up on the bottom of the pile. She groaned in pain, and she lifted her neck to look around to figure out who was where. Instead all she saw was a mess of limbs, so she just let her head drop back down to the ground. She watched as Yixing somehow extracted himself from the dog pile, and he found Hana’s hand to pull her out. He grinned at her.

“Thanks,” she spoke.

“Anytime.”

“Are you two dating yet?” Myungsoo asked coyly as he pulled himself up to which Hana groaned. She should’ve expected this.

“No,” Hana replied, glaring at Myungsoo.

“No?” Yixing parroted, surprised.

“Wait. How come we didn’t know about this?” Jongin wondered, pointing to himself and Jessica. 

Jessica snorted. “Speak for yourself. You’re oblivious. I knew.”

“No?!” Yixing repeated again, his voice cracking. Everyone turned to look at him.

“Can we talk in a bit?” Hana pleaded. She could see the confusion and concern in Yixing's eyes, but she had to explain herself before they took the step to label whatever they were. Besides, Hana told herself, it was just one kiss. One kiss didn’t suddenly make them a couple.

“Yes, this can wait—” Jessica started, but was cut off.

“Why not now? You promised me lunch?”

“No, I didn’t. I just suggested we get Thai.”

“Fine, let’s go. I’ll pay.”

“Guys,” called Jongin in a loud voice, looking up from his phone with a grin on his face. Hana froze and looked at her friend. “The warrant for the arrest of Lu Bolin came in. We need to head over to the floral shop now.”

The news led to Hana completely forgetting about her relationship with Yixing for the moment.

“Wait, so what about the apartment warrant?” Hana asked.

“Uniforms are already there.”

“But I doubt they will find anything there,” Yixing commented.

“Why?” asked Myungsoo.

“He’s trying to build two images, correct? One as Lu Bolin and one as Baekhyun. He wouldn’t dare have them overlap since he knows that his image as Baekhyun has more power than Lu Bolin. He’s going to live as clean as possible as Lu Bolin. We need to focus on getting information out of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter