25. A Drooping Daffodil

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How do you know him?” Jessica asked, turning to look at the two detectives who had looks of surprise on their faces. Hana’s mind just blanked for a few seconds, unable to believe that she actually spoke to the man that caused her life to become a living nightmare. Hana finally looked at the older woman and watched as Yixing walked in through the door behind Jessica after he had taken Jie Xin back to the break room.

“We, uh, talked to him when we were going around visiting all the florists in Seoul,” Myungsoo replied, a slight tremor in his voice.

“What exactly happened there?” the chief asked as he looked at the sketch that was now in his hand.

“We asked him if there were any records of anyone buying lavender or tulips or any of the other flowers that were used in the corsages, but he had denied it,” Hana explained. Myungsoo took over.

“He even showed us the inventory list.” Yixing came to stand with the group, and Hana could see the confusion in his eyes, but he hadn’t said anything. She realized that he had never seen the sketch of Lu Bolin. “There was nothing wrong with the numbers, but we didn’t think of the fact that it could’ve been the florist themselves - we just focused on someone buying the flowers. God, the garden shears and the fiber from the glove makes so much sense now.”

Hana gasped, suddenly remembering the note she found that day. “And that note!”

It all made sense. The note appeared on her after visiting the florist. At first, she figured it was because she ran into him on the street but never noticed, but he could’ve put it on her when they visited the shop. She didn’t know what she wished was the reality: them going to meet him at the shop or accidentally running into him on the street. “He must’ve put it on me then.”

“But can we really trust the girl? It seems too easy,” Jongin muttered as he began to pace around the room. Hana had to agree with him. There was a small part of her that wished it was this easy, but with Baekhyun, nothing was ever easy. “I get it. It’s working based off of what Yixing said earlier, but that didn’t mean he would actually slip up and especially not this early.”

“But if Hana got away that first day, why couldn’t someone else?” Myungsoo questioned.

“If that was true, then what about the other girls? And apparently he still has five other girls? Jie Xin was going to be the sixth bride based off of what she said. I don’t mean to be devil’s advocate here, but we need to make sure that we’re sure about this.”

“That’s the same with any witness, no?” Yixing mentioned. “Anyone that comes in as a witness could be lying, and until we have further evidence, we can’t do anything to say if the statement is the truth or not.”

“He has a point, Jongin,” Jessica tentatively pointed out.

“I know. I’m just...worried.”

The chief sighed, and stood up before speaking, setting the sketch down on his desk in the process.

“Let’s get a warrant for his apartment and the floral shop as soon as possible. Considering it’s pretty late on a Friday, I don’t know how long it’ll take for the DA to process it, and there’s no substantial evidence besides the witness account that connects this Lu Bolin to Baekhyun, so-” the chief stopped speaking when there was a sudden intake of breath and a clatter of chairs hitting on another as though someone tripped over them. Hana turned to the source of the sound to find Yixing wide eyed and holding onto a chair. It seemed as though he really had tripped over them while taking a step back.

“Yixing?” she asked as she stepped towards him cautiously. He didn’t respond and just stared at the chief. She looked back at the chief who shared a look of confusion with her. Hana turned back to look at Yixing as she asked, “What’s wrong?”

Myungsoo went over to Yixing and put a hand on his arm to shake him slightly. That seemed to shake Yixing out of whatever stupor he was in, and the man turned to look at Myungsoo.

“You okay?” Myungsoo asked. Hana was tempted to move closer when Yixing’s eyes moved over to rest on her, but she restrained herself.

“Can-can I see that sketch, please?” Yixing asked in a quiet voice. The chief nodded, and he held up the sketch. Yixing collapsed into a chair, and he let out a heavy breath.

“Hana?” he began. She looked at him confused.

“Yeah?”

“I’m sorry.” She was incredibly lost at this point. Why was he apologizing when he never did anything?

“For what?” she asked.

“I...technically lied to you,” he spoke as he looked into her eyes. There was pain and confusion written all over his normally happy face. He let out a self-depreciating laugh as he spoke, "It turns out that I do know Baekhyun.”

Hana’s jaw fell open slightly, and she felt her heart pounding in her chest.

He knew Baekhyun.

Myungsoo stepped away from Yixing, and Yixing put his face into his hands.

“How?” Hana breathed out. Her mind was a mess as she thought about every interaction with the man and wondered how in the world she managed to trust him. She idly wondered if she was getting ahead of herself again of thinking the worst of Yixing without hearing him out.

But he said himself that he was lying.

“He wasn’t lying in that note when he said it’d been years,” Yixing started off. “You might want to sit down for this.” Everyone found seats in the room, and they settled in to listen to Yixing, who looked like he was going to be sick any moment. Hana kept her eyes on Yixing as he spoke, and she tried to keep her mind blan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter