22. Scarlet

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I had an inkling that it had to do with that,” Yixing mused quietly, trying to prompt Hana into talking more. He was beginning to worry about her mental health, and how she was able to cope with everything that went on in her life. Ever since he had met her, she had only really mentioned Hansol without a single whisper about her parents. At first, he assumed that they had passed away, but then Hansol mentioned the fact that she didn’t have the love of a mother or father for years. If their parents had passed away, he would’ve said that they didn’t. At first, he wasn’t sure what could be the reasoning behind the separation, and no matter how much he thought about it, he still wasn’t sure.

He had assumed Myungsoo knew since she was closest to him after all. When he was with Jongin and Jessica as they went florist-hunting, Jongin had mentioned that even though he, Myungsoo, and Hana had become detectives together, the fact that Hana was Myungsoo’s partner meant they spent a lot of time together. They ended up getting much closer just as Jongin had ended up becoming quite close to Jessica. After Jongin and Jessica met, Jongin met Krystal through Jessica, and soon enough after, Krystal was working at the precinct.

When Yixing first heard the argument between the crying mother and her pained son, he was just going to walk away, but then he saw Myungsoo and Hana stop to listen in, so he decided to stay too. Then he heard her speak to the mother and child, and then he pretty much knew that she was seeing herself in the son. Maybe her situation was exactly the same, or maybe it was just similar — he didn’t know. All Yixing knew as she ran away from the scene was that he had to make sure she wasn’t going to end up hurting herself.

Before Yixing went after Hana, Myungsoo caught up with him. When Yixing asked why Myungsoo wasn’t going after Hana, the man replied that he figured Yixing would do a better job. Realizing that Yixing didn’t have Myungsoo’s phone number — or anyone else’s except Hana for that matter — Yixing gave Myungsoo his number just in case they had to contact each other while he went to Hana and Myungsoo went to deal with the case. The male gave Yixing instructions on making sure to keep him updated on how Hana was feeling.

Nodding, Yixing quickly went after Hana to find that she, thankfully, wasn’t having a panic attack, but rather, she was having a breakdown. Watching her for a brief moment, he felt his heart break for her. She was sobbing quietly into her hands, and Yixing knew that this was the result of her being under incredible amounts of stress for such a long time. This had been building over the past four years, and he felt pity for her. He wanted to comfort her, and he wanted to do anything that he could to help alleviate her pain, but he wasn’t sure how. Instead, he just decided that he would just have to let her know that he was there for her when she needed him in that moment. He comforted her through his presence, and it seemed like his touch allowed her to let go of whatever control she had left. Her sobs got louder and more painful from then on.

After he had sat down with her, he took out his phone to find a missed call from Myungsoo as a way to get his number. He proceeded to save the phone number into his contacts while never taking a hand off of Hana’s shoulders, his thumb rubbing circles through her jacket.

It took her a bit to calm down and for her to cry about everything that was weighing on her heart, but by the time she had begun to quiet down, her voice was quite hoarse, and her eyes were red and puffy.

“How did you know?” she asked him, laying her head against his shoulder again. Yixing felt his heart pound in his chest at the contact. Before he had practically forced her in that position to give her comfort — hugs were proven to release good hormones in the brain, and clearly, she needed those — but the fact that she had felt comfortable enough in that position made him feel giddy despite the grim situation.

“Deductions,” Yixing replied. “Things that I’ve heard you and Hansol say about family.”

“I shouldn’t be surprised,” she weakly laughed, a cough escaping her. Yixing remember the bottle of water he grabbed on his way to Hana and gave it to her. She drank a few sips from it slowly.

“Mom and dad never really cared much for me. They own a plastics business that’s doing quite well, or so I’ve heard considering I don’t really know, and what with me being a female and Hansol being a male, Hansol got all the attention as the future heir. Sure, we were twins and got a lot of the same stuff from our relatives. We were both popular in school too with our fairly good grades and athletic skills, but mom and dad always supported him more. They believed that that he would take over the company simply because he was a boy. My grandfather had strict, traditional ideals that females should be docile housewives. My parents weren’t that extreme, but I was well aware that I wasn’t going to be even considered to take over the company. I think they still expected me to follow into the family business as an employee.

“Hansol always got the extra tutors, like for language, but they expected me to learn everything by myself. Except they would have me sit with the maids to lear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter