13. Chrysanthemum

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where?” Myungsoo asked. They moved out of the apartment quickly, ready to go to the location. Yixing lingered, not knowing what to do since he had to go with Hana.

“At a store in Gangnam,” Jongin supplies after he had ended the call.

“Okay, well, I guess I’ll come with you two since Hana and Yixing need to go to MS Entertainment,” Myungsoo said, giving the keys to his car to Hana. “And, don’t worry, Hana. You won’t miss much,” he grinned.

“Yeah, it’s not like we can do much without you constantly nagging us to get sh*t done,” Jongin added.

“Sure,” Hana replied in a monotone voice at their teasing. “Come on, Yixing. Let’s get this over with.” The five separated and head out. When they reached Myungsoo’s car, Yixing spoke up.

“Can I drive? I know the way to get to the company building,” he asked. Yixing kept walking towards the car, and he was a few steps away when he realized that Hana stopped walking for a bit, enough for there to be a solid distance of a few feet. Once he stopped and turned back around, she looked at him for a moment and shrugged.

“It’s not my car. Just don’t crash it.” She threw the keys at Yixing from the distance, and he easily caught them in his left hand.

They got settled into the car, and then set out in complete silence; the only interruption coming from the turn signal every time they had to make a turn. Uncomfortable with the silence, Yixing began humming a soft song, and the awkwardness between the two immediately started to dissipate. Slowly, he started singing it at a low volume as he continued to keep his eyes on the road, whilst being fully aware that Hana was looking at him.

“What song is that?” Hana asked softly after a minute or so. “I’ve never heard of it.”

He swallowed before responding. “I wrote it,” he replied, just as softly. He hadn’t shown the song to anyone yet, and he was nervous at how she would respond.

“You know, if you weren’t so strange occasionally, you’d be good company. You’re very talented.” He grinned at the backhanded compliment, and his heart fluttered slightly at her praise.

“Thanks. I guess my parents always knew that I had the skills in me. They pushed me to take dancing and singing classes when I was younger, but also wanted me to get a proper education. It was rough balancing to the two, but I’m extremely grateful to them. I can’t imagine being where I am today without their help. You know, one the translations for my name is ‘of prospering talent’,” he said looking at her for a brief moment before letting his eyes go back to looking at the road. They became silent again for the most part, and this time, even without Yixing’s humming, it wasn’t awkward. Yixing was lost in thought, and he drove on autopilot. Suddenly, Yixing had a thought, and he broke the silence with his question.

“What if it’s someone who works at the hospital?”

“What?” Hana asked confused, and Yixing saw her turn towards him out the corner of his eye.

“The murderer,” he elaborated. “The connection between the first two victims is the hospital, right? So, what if the person is someone who works at the hospital? Maybe a doctor or a nurse or a volunteer? Maybe it was a family member of one of the patients?”

“Why would a family member of one of the patients be killing off others? It doesn’t exactly make sense for mercy killings,” Hana countered.

“What if the patient died, but it was from an actual, legitimate mercy killing? The doctors pulled the plug on the patient, and in order to prevent others from suffering as long as the patient did, the family member is going around performing his or her own version of mercy killings?”

“It’s a legitimate suspicion, but we would have to look into how exactly that family member connected with the victims. I’m guessing that since Kim Matthew most likely died from eating the cookie dough since that’s what had to have been poisoned. Why would a person accept a box of cookie dough from someone random, though? It had to have been someone they knew,” Hana replied as Yixing pulled into the back-parking lot of MS Entertainment building. She was right, and Yixing didn’t have a response to that at the moment.

The two got out of the car, and Yixing took her to the side entrance of the entertainment building where idols and actors would sometimes leave from when the front entrance was too crowded by fans or journalists. They soon met up with Yixing’s manager who was with the CEO of the company. Yixing bowed, followed by Hana.

“Hello, I’m Detective Park Hana of Seoul Police Department,” she introduced herself as the CEO shook her hand.

“Yes, hello. I spoke to the chief of your department. He said that you were the one who discovered that he was a criminal psychologist? Not many people know of his side job,” the CEO glanced at Yixing for a moment.

“Yes. It was by accident, but he was a very valuable help to one of our cases, so the precinct decided that we could use his expertise in the area to do our jobs better.”

“Very well. You two are going to have to make an official statement, however. Yixing is a very prominent celebrity nowadays, and the journalists need an answer as to why he’s been spending so much time at the precinct all of a sudden.” The two agreed and were led to the front entrance where there was a mob of journalists trying to figure out what was going on in Zhang Yixing’s life. Needless to say, they weren’t expecting him to walk out with a female. What, at first, Yixing heard was simply his name with a lot of questions like ‘did you get arrested?’ or ‘were you there because you were involved in an investigation?’ or ‘are you a suspect?’. But as soon as they saw her with him, the questions soon changed drastically to ‘are you dating a police officer?’ and ‘was your girlfriend arrested?’.

Yixing stood proudly and confidently in front of the journalists, ready to give his statement and explain what was going on. The journalists crowded the two eagerly with their phones in their hands, the recording app open and hoping for a scoop that would bring in a lot of traffic on their news sites.

“Hello. My name is Zhang Yixing,” he introduced himself. “And this,” he indicated to Hana,” is Detective Park Hana from Seoul Police Department. No, she did not arrest me. No, I am not a suspect for any investigation. No, I am not dating anyone. I am, however, part of an investigation. Besides being an actor, I am a licensed criminal psychologist that is allowed to work in the field. Through a fluke, I ended up helping Detective Park solve their previous murder investigation, and Chief Park gave me an offer to work with the precinct as a consultant to their cases when they required one. As I am currently on break from acting, I have decided to take up on that offer, so I can help out in our society actively.” As Yixing spoke, he felt himself switching int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter