11. Alstroemeria

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Have I mentioned how strange you are?” Yixing asked, raising an eyebrow at Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo grinned at the man, and he let out a low whistle before speaking. “No, it never came up. I think you were too busy running from pigeons.” Jongin let out a snort at the memory.

“I thought we agreed to never bring that up!”

“Hmm, I guess I wasn’t there,” Kyungsoo smiled, his lips turning into the shape of a heart.

“Hana!” Yixing whined.

“What?” Hana asked, surprised. She had begun to slowly tune out the banter as she looked over the pictures from the crime scenes. Plus, she didn’t think he would immediately call for her help like that. In fact, she didn’t expect him to talk to her at all. Although, she had to admit, there was a small part of her that didn’t mind it.

“You’ve known me the longest here! Do something about him!”

“By like half an hour,” she reminded. “You seem to be fine.”

Yixing’s over exaggerated acting made its comeback. “Fine? I seem fine to you? Oh, you wound me,” he cried, placing a hand over his heart.

“Uh-huh,” Hana nodded, utterly confused as to what was going on in his brain.

“If you two hadn’t met less than a week ago, I would ship this,” Myungsoo stated. Hana twisted to look at him incredulously.

“What?”

“No! What would happen to Hansoo then?” Jongin wailed, raising his hands up to the sky. Hana rolled her eyes wondering how she ended up with crackheads as her friends.

“Part of your imagination,” Myungsoo retorted.

“Can we not talk about my love life?” Hana pleaded, picking up the folder with the pictures from the other crime scene.

“There’s nothing to talk about,” Kyungsoo replied, smirking slightly.

“Okay, you little piece of —” Hana grumbled as she stood up to smack Kyungsoo over the head with the folder in her hand. She barely made it a step before she was stopped.

“Woah!” Myungsoo quickly stood up as well and wrapped Hana up in a back hug, so she wouldn’t be able to move. “Don’t assault a medical examiner!” he spoke to Hana. Then to Kyungsoo, “You know better than to egg her on, dude.”

“I’m not going to assault a medical examiner!” If he wasn’t on shift, then he wasn’t exactly considered one, and she was already planning how she was going to get her revenge.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re going to wait until he’s not on shift. He’s still considered a medical examiner then!”

“God damn it, Myungsoo!”

“Gosh, never thought I’d see Hana so riled up over a boy,” Jessica chuckled.

“Oh, wait. They don’t know?” Kyungsoo asked with a big grin of his face. She knew it was coming, and Hana sighed.

“Clearly. Especially considering you didn’t tell Krystal either. We all know she would tell Jongin, and then he would tell Jessica,” she retorted.

“Tell us what?” Jongin asked, but his question was ignored by the two conversing.

“Myungsoo knows though.”

“Yes. I do. In case you forgot, I was there? I saw it all go down,” Myungsoo spoke as he rolled his eyes, still holding onto Hana. She just decided to go limp in his arms, and he flailed for a moment trying to straighten her out.

“Just making sure!”

“Tell us what?” Krystal asked this time, but again, she was ignored.

“How do you not remember me being there?” Myungsoo asked as Hana tried not to squirm as he tightened his grip on her and got her leaning against his chest.

Jessica finally gave up and ended up speaking in a tone much higher than the others were used to. “Tell us what?!” Kyungsoo’s head whipped towards Jessica; his eyes slightly widened. Hana and Myungsoo flinched, and Myungsoo let her go. Hana tripped over her feet as she suddenly didn’t have a body to lean against.

“Long story short: we dated,” Kyungsoo started. Hana continued once she found her footing.

“It was more a fling when we first started working here.”

“The attraction was always there, so we started dating.

“And then we went to a bar one night, kissed, and then realized that holy crap this was not romantic attraction.”

“I’ve always been slightly overly dark, and she’s always been extremely passionate yet crazy. Turns out, the attraction was more of a platonic one — as if we were kindred spirits.”

“Basically, he’s my demonic brother.”

“And she’s my insane sister. She hasn’t dated anyone since me,” Kyungsoo laughed.

“And you have?” Hana challenged.

“Well, no. But I’ve had flings.” His lips turned into a heart shaped grin.

“Oh, gosh,” she groaned as she sat back down and hit her head against the desk. A few seconds passed before the four who weren’t aware of this spoke up.

“What. The. Hell,” Krystal was so confused.

“What just happened?” Yixing asked looking around the room for any clarification.

“How did we never know this?” Jongin questioned. Myungsoo shrugged and answered in place of the two in question.

“To be honest, it never came up. It’s not like they swore each other to secrecy or made me keep quiet. It’s just not something to randomly bring up in a conversation. Imagine talking about a case and one of us goes, ‘Oh hey, Hana and Kyungsoo dated once upon a time.’”

“Okay, that’s fair.” The chief chose that moment to walk out of his office, and Hana silently thanked him for choosing that moment so that they could move on from this topic.

“Detectives!” he called, but then he caught sight of the two medical examiners, "And coroners! I want a report in two minutes!” he spoke and then disappeared back into his office.

“Oh yeah! This is one of the most interesting cases we’ve had in a while!” Kyungsoo lit up like a child on Christmas morning.

“Can we get back to work?” Hana asked, sounding like she had given up on the world.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter