10. Cypress

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana stood a few meters away from the gated house for a few minutes, waiting for her partner to arrive. She was holding two cups of Starbucks coffee, sipping at one. Even though spring was approaching quickly, the early morning still had a chill.

There were already a few cop cars lining the street sides, and there were uniforms stopping people from trying to see what was going on. Hana watched as one small girl shook off her mother’s hand to run under the police officer’s arm that was out to stop people from entering. The mother immediately ran forward to get her daughter back and chaos proceeded to ensue as the uniforms attempt to get mother and daughter back together while keeping the public away from the house. Hana just snorted into her coffee, and boy was she glad that she was not in that position.

When Myungsoo arrived, she handed him his cup, and the two made their way inside the house, ducking under the CAUTION tape. They were led by a police officer into the living room where uniforms and the investigative team swarmed the room. It was chaotic, but it was an organized chaos. Everyone was where they needed to be — marking things off, taking pictures, and sweeping the room for evidence. The two found Kyungsoo standing by the dining table in the adjoining dining room, writing something down on the clipboard in his hand. He looked up when he heard them approach, and he grimaced.

“Why the long face?” Myungsoo asked.

“It’s Sunday. We were supposed to have the weekend off,” Kyungsoo whined.

“Since when do we ever get proper days off,” Hana snorted.

Myungsoo rolled his eyes at the man before speaking. “It’s the job, dude.”

“Doesn’t mean I like it.”

“Oh please, you like cutting up bodies.”

“If I liked doing that, I would’ve become a surgeon instead,” Kyungsoo retorted, pointing his pen at Myungsoo.

“And lose more sleep than you already do? Not to mention the fact that your eyes aren’t great. You keep glaring at us so you can see us better when you’re tired,” he replied. Then after a moment, “Speaking of, I’m surprised you’re wearing glasses.”

“That I cannot deny.”

“Okay, wow this conversation went darker than expected,” Hana spoke in a deadpan voice. “Can we make it even darker and talk about the dead body?”

“Never considered you as goth, Hana,” Kyungsoo grinned.

“Never considered you as satanic, Kyungsoo.”

“Touché.” He walked away from the two detectives, indicating to them to follow him with a wave of his index finger. They made their way to the living room sofa where there was a male lying there, his face leaning on the back of the sofa, body turned towards the TV. His left hand was on his collarbone, and his right hand was lying on the sofa, palm up. As Hana wandered around the sofa, looking at the dead body, a police officer came up to them.

“Morning, detectives,” she spoke. “The dead body is of a Lee Jangjun. We found his wallet on the kitchen counter. According to his driver’s license, he is 27 years old.”

Hana spoke up. “Does he live alone?”

“We still have to confirm that.”

“Who called in the body?” Myungsoo asked.

“The landord. Lee Jangjun was renting the house, and he had complained about the roof leaking in the attic. He came to check it out before they called for it to be repaired. We have already taken his statement.”

“Okay, thank you.” The police officer bowed her head and walked away.

“Alright, what can you tell us about this man, Dr. Do?” Myungsoo asked formally.

“Well, Detective Kim,” Kyungsoo said, responding in the same fashion, “I think the man was poisoned. Either that, or he overdosed. If you look around his mouth, there is a white residue that seems to trail from his mouth to his chin. Usually comes from foaming which occurs when someone has high levels of toxic substances in the body.” Kyungsoo pointed to it with his gloved hand. “I would have to run toxicity tests, but it does seem like that’s what killed him. I’ll have to also check the contents of his stomach. There are no signs of struggle in the immediate area of where his body is, nor is there any form of injury on his body from what I can see, unless he has internal injuries. I can’t tell you the time of death just yet - I’ll have to run tests. To be honest,” he whispered at the end, “this is the best case we’ve had in a while. They’ve been such straightforward things - suicide, stab wounds, gun shots. Gosh. This is what I live for.” Hana blinked. Myungsoo just gaped at him.

“Well. I guess that’s what these people die for,” Hana replied slowly, raising an eyebrow at him.

“You are strange,” Myungsoo said. Kyungsoo shrugged.

“Let me go pack up this body now. I have work to do,” Kyungsoo spoke as he walked off to speak to the investigative team.

“That boy is creepy, Park.”

“Tell me about, Kim.” The two detectives began walking around the room, the coffee cups abandoned and gloves on their hands. Hana walked over to the bookshelf that was in the living room next to the T.V. She noticed a few photo frames decorating it. They had the victim,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter