7. Yellow Carnations

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana was taken aback by the knife slashing the air, and she stumbled back a few steps. Sebin was moving in a panicked fashion, and she suddenly surged forward, grabbing a hold of Hana’s wrist. Hana tripped on the ground due to the sudden pull, and she found herself face down on the carpeted floor. Her left arm was twisted painfully behind her back, and she could feel a knife pressed down onto her wrist. From the way she could feel her heart pounding there, Hana could safely assume that Sebin was pressing the knife onto her radial artery.

“Don’t move, Hana! If she cuts your wrist open, you’ll bleed out in less than ten minutes!”

“I am aware of that, Jessica!” Hana replied, her voice muffled by the carpet. Thankfully, Sebin had her pressed down by her hands, not by sitting on top of her.

“Don’t come any closer, detectives. You’ll know what will happen then,” Sebin threatened. Her voice was shaking, showing how terrified she was, but Hana didn’t suspect for a moment that Sebin wouldn’t do what she threatened.

Hana could hear footsteps coming closer to her, slowly but surely. “Sebin, you don’t want to do this. We can help you,” Myungsoo reasoned in a gentle voice. He was speaking extremely softly as though Sebin was a wild, rabid animal that could be triggered by the smallest movement, which, to be fair, she was.

“You’re not here to help me!” she screeched, pressing the knife down harder, and Hana flinched. “If I go down, at least I’ll be taking her with me!”

“Sebin, what are you doing?” Kris yelled. Hana turned her head ever so slightly, so the side of her face was pressed up against the floor. She could see Kris struggling in Jongin’s arms.

“Protecting myself instead of leaving it to an imbecile like you!”

“Sebin, what’s going on?” breathed Kris. He stopped struggling and looked limp in Jongin’s hold. He looked like he was going to drop on the ground any second.

“You still don’t get it,” Sebin scoffed. “You were so easy to fool considering how I had you wrapped around my little finger. You forgot an important fact Kris; I’m an actress.” She pressed down harder on Hana’s wrist, and Hana could feel her skin starting to break. “I’m surprised you didn’t catch on earlier, to be honest.” It was safe to say that Hana was about two seconds from freaking out because she could feel small drips of blood.

“I-I don’t understand,” he replied.

“We can deal with your relationship later in the interrogation room. We have more pressing matters!” Jongin stressed.

“I swear to god, Jongin. If you just made a pun, I’m going to punch you in the face,” Myungsoo hissed. Jongin raised the hand that wasn’t holding onto to Kris in his defense.

“Guys!” Hana’s voice sounded strained even to herself. She could feel the vibrations of someone walking through the floor, but she couldn’t see who was walking.

Sebin hissed at the detectives. “Who said I’m going to the interrogation room?”

“I didn’t before, but now I am,” Jessica said as Hana felt the weight disappearing from her back. Her arm limply fell back to her side, sore from being pressed down against her back. Hana stood up to find Kris shaking his head at Sebin who had been restrained by Jessica. The knife clattered to the ground, and Jessica kicked it farther away from the two.

Hana immediately grabbed a tissue off the nightstand and pressed it up against the light cut on her wrist. She honestly wished she could’ve seen Jessica disarming Sebin, but she was just grateful that she’d done it before Sebin hurt Hana too badly.

“The old coming up behind the bad guy...well girl trick,” Jessica grinned.

“Thanks, Jess,” Hana said sincerely as she rubbed her wrist. She watched as Jessica and Jongin put handcuffs on Sebin and Kris, respectively.

Jongin began reciting their Miranda rights to them. “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.” The six of them walked out of the apartment building where there was a police car parked next to Myungsoo’s and Jessica’s cars. Sebin and Kris were led into the police car after their hands were cuffed to the front of their bodies instead of the back like they were originally cuffed. Sebin was unnaturally quiet after the entire ordeal, and Hana kept stealing glances at the girl. Jessica caught her looking at one point and went over to Hana, wrapping an arm around Hana’s.

“You’re okay, Hana. We’re okay. We’re like, what, 85% sure that we caught the right person? It’ll all work out!” Jessica reassured, but her face fell slightly. “Do you want to talk about what happened back there though?”

“What? About how my wrist was nearly sliced?”

“Yeah, I mean, not the ideal way to go.”

“I don’t want to go,” Hana deadpanned. Then scrunching up her eyes and nose, “Although, if I were to go, I’d prefer to not bleed out slowly.”

“Preach, girl,” called out Jongin.

Jessica scoffed as she let go of her friend’s arm and walked towards her car where Jongin was waiting for her. He and Jessica would leave first, the police car next, and finally following them from behind would be Myungsoo and Hana. Hana waved bye to the two leaving and made her way to Myungsoo’s car.

“I’m not going to say anything,” he spoke up even before Hana said anything. She raised an eyebrow at him. “What? I could tell you didn’t want to talk about how your wrist was almost sliced.”

“And yet, here we are.” Myungsoo just grinned at her, and she rolled her eyes.

The two sat in peaceful silence, but it was broken by Hana’s phone ringing. She checked the caller ID and a smile graced her face. Myungsoo glanced at her.

“Wow, two smiles in a day. A new record,” he joked. “Put it on speaker later, I want to say hi.” Hana resisted the impulse to push his face into the steering wheel; she didn’t want to die this early in her life.

“Hello?” she spoke into the phone, ignoring Myungsoo who complained about the phone not being on speakerphone.

“My dear sister!” a vibrant voice spoke. “Puffy! How are you doing?” Hana’s smile immediately turned into a grimace, and she thanked god that she didn’t put it on speaker.

“What did I say about Puffy, dear brother?” she growled into the phone. Her brother came up with that nickname when she was six years old. She had a tendency to cry. A lot. Her eyes would always be red and puffy, and since he couldn’t call her red as it was his favorite color, he decided that Puffy would do.

“That you hated it?”

“That, and I outgrew it years ago!” she hissed at her twin brother.

“Oh, come on, Hana, give your older brother some love. I don’t get why you don’t call me oppa,” he cooed at her. She questioned why she was surrounded by idiots.

“Pl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter