6. Rosebay

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“H-Hana?” Yixing called out in a trembling voice.

Hana swirled her head to face a pale faced Yixing. Myungsoo had managed to send her the autopsy report PDF, and he had been scrolling through it when she heard Yixing call out to her. He hadn’t addressed as Detective he had been, but instead just called her out her name in a shaking voice. She immediately made her way over to the balcony door where he was standing. Hana looked into the apartment where Kris was and was surprised, to say the least, to find a female with a knife in her hand.

A bloody knife.

And the female looked very familiar.

She squinted slightly, and she took a deep breath. She took out her phone and called Myungsoo. While she was waiting for him to pick up, she found herself analyzing what she could see through the window. It seemed like Kris was completely fine, but the female was crying in her position, holding the knife. Kris was rubbing her back, trying to console her. From this far away, she could forget about even attempting to lip read, so she just settled for staring at them, hoping that the female wouldn’t turn the knife on Kris.

“What’s up?” Myungsoo asked as a greeting once he picked up the phone.

“Get the chief,” she ordered, forgoing any further explanations. They didn’t have the time.

“What’s going on?” Myungsoo asked.

“Just go!”

Yixing just stared through the glass doors, visibly panicked. One of his hands was clenched in a fist, and his eyes kept darting between Hana and the apartment they were watching.

“She’s not going to hurt him, is she?” he asked. His voice cracked slightly at the end, and she felt bad for him. He was friends with Kris, and here he was – watching his friend comfort a possible murder suspect. But because he was comforting her, Hana didn’t think that the female would attack Kris.

“I don’t think so,” she responded honestly. “Don’t worry.” She wasn’t sure if she should pat Yixing’s back, but she decided that it would be too weird considering they had just met.

She slightly jumped when Myungsoo’s voice sounded from the phone. “Okay, I’m with the chief. You’re on speaker.”

“Did you tell him about the apartment switch?”

“Yeah,” he replied.

“We have a problem,” Hana started. “There’s a female with Kris in the apartment with a bloodied knife.”

“Do you know who the female is?” the chief asked. Hana hesitated for a moment since she wasn’t 100% sure, but it was a pretty good guess as she made the mental comparison between the photo that she saw this morning and the girl Hana saw sitting.

“I do believe that it is Yong Sebin.”

“At least you found her. This is her real apartment?” the chief asked. She heard Myungsoo hum in agreement.

“Yeah, we did. But it doesn't look like she's going to hurt him. If anything, it looks like he's consoling her,” stated Hana. Yixing looked towards Hana, and she could see that he was visibly calmer after what Hana had said to him earlier.

“The girl is crying,” Yixing spoke up. Hana could see that, but Yixing said it in a way that made her think that he was thinking of something.

“Hana, who are you with?” the chief asked with a questioning tone. Hana winced. Yixing had spoken loud enough that the chief had heard him through her side.

“Myungsoo! I thought you explained the situation!”

“I may or may not have forgot to mention Yixing,” he replied sheepishly.

“How do you forget-” Hana cut herself off and took a breath. “Never mind. Chief, it's Zhang Yixing. And yes, it’s the actor from Eclipse. He’s also a criminal psychologist – I verified it. I’ll explain later.”

“Anyways,” Yixing stressed, “this Yong Sebin doesn’t seem to want to hurt Kris. She was crying as Kris consoled her.” She sighed and put up an index finger to tell him to wait a moment. She pulled the phone away from her ear and put it on speakerphone, and then told Yixing to repeat himself.

Hana continued from where Yixing left off. “She’s holding a knife that seems to have blood on it, but I’m too far to be 100% sure on that. We need to get a warrant for that place. Myungsoo, by any chance, did you do any digging on who might have changed the records for the addresses?”

“Actually, yes,” Myungsoo sounded smug. “After I managed to get access the change history it turned out that Kris actually switched the two addresses in the system. My only guess is that he was trying to hide either himself or Yong Sebin.”

“It’s more likely that he was trying to protect Sebin considering he’s consoling her right now,” Yixing piped up. Hana sent him a look that said, ‘please shut up or I will lose my job,’ and Yixing closed his mouth with a click.

“What I want to know is why Kris didn’t just bring Sebin to his apartment instead of switching the addresses,” Myungsoo asked.

“We need to get a warrant to check the two apartments,” Hana stressed again.

“Yeah, but under what basis? We can’t say anything about what you saw considering you’re under probation.”

“We need to get that warrant, Myungsoo!”

“I know, Hana, but there’s no way to get that warrant,” Myungsoo refuted. She felt herself getting carried away by her emotions, but she couldn’t handle not helping someone right in front of her. Hana couldn’t bear the thought of watching someone else get hurt and being responsible for it. She would break if anything like that happened again, and she was scared. She was so close, yet so far, from being able to do something useful, but instead she was stuck in the apartment on probation.

Hana slightly jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned and found Yixing standing quite close to her with concern in his eyes.

“Detective Park,” he started in a quiet voice to avoid his voice being carried through the phone, “calm down.” He looked at her with concern in his eyes, and she wanted to ask him why he was asking her to calm down.

She was calm. She was fine. Why was he acting so weird?

“You can call me Hana. You dropped the formalities a while ago anyways,” she whispered back. As she spoke, she realized her breathing sounded heavier than it did a moment ago, and she took a deep breath to attempt to calm herself. Maybe this was why Yixing was telling her to calm down?

Suddenly extremely aware of everything around her, she felt her heart beating hard and fast in her chest. Hana put her hand on her heart, weirded out that her adrenaline was high to quicken her breaths and her heartbeats. The light was getting to be too bright for her eyes, and there was this strange ringing in her ears. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to forget everything that was going on around her – suddenly too much for her to bear.

“The warrant can be placed for Yong Sebin’s apartment under suspicion of being a suspect,” she vaguely heard the chief say. “Then when it’s discovered that it’s actually Kris’s place, we can get the warrant for the others. I’ll deal with any issues that arise with the warrant. Myungsoo, get Jongin and Jessica ready for when the warrant is issued,” the chief said.

At that point, Hana wasn’t even fully registering what the chief had said, and she felt Yixing’s hand on her arm now. He was her arm in an up-and-down motion, and he was saying something, but she couldn’t quite hear him anymore. She couldn’t quite hear anything except the ringing in her ears that was now unbelievably loud.

Yixing took the phone from her hand, and then he guided her over the sofa where she sat down. It felt like her brain had shut down, and s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter